Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,194 members, 7,807,659 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World (1416 Views)

Be Internet Awesome By Google-to Protect Kids From Scams, And Hackers Online / Researchers Working On Program To Bring The Dead Back To Life / TECH: Google To Back Apple In Court Against FBI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by holuwatobi02(m): 2:58pm On Oct 02, 2015
Google is rolling out free wifi in New York as part of a trial the company hopes will eventually span across the whole of the world. The internet giant has even gone as far as to set up a company specifically dedicated to the task, called Sidewalk Labs. How will they do this you ask – through turning 10,000 of the big apple’s old phone booths into ad- supported ‘Wi-Fi pylons’. These converted booths are also intended to provide cell-phone charging, free domestic phone calls and a touch screen information hub about the city and transit directions. According to Bloomberg News, these ‘pylons’ will be rolled out across New York this autumn.
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by huntila(m): 3:08pm On Oct 02, 2015
Source...
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by lovelyadeola(m): 4:47pm On Oct 02, 2015
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by Nobody: 9:35pm On Oct 02, 2015
A long-term project buh definitely a nice one..
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by Fulaman198(m): 10:52pm On Oct 03, 2015
It has already been started a few years ago, some cities like San Francisco in California, United States has it in some sections. This is what Nigeria needs, a proactive company like Google willing to venture out and build for the populace. I would like to see something like this implemented in Abuja, Lagos, Kano, Port Harcourt, Enugu, Sokoto, etc. etc. But right now there is not one company with the resources or the mindset in Nigeria to do such a thing. I'm sure it will happen once corruption has completely ended.
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by lincolnj88: 6:55am On Oct 04, 2015
nigeria coy hardly makes d global stage
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by Funjosh(m): 7:59am On Oct 04, 2015
May be it will get to Nigeria in the year 2050 tongue

1 Like

Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by larisoft: 9:41am On Oct 04, 2015
Really bad market for telecom operators.

1 Like

Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by holuwatobi02(m): 12:16am On Oct 05, 2015
Lol #2050
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by Fulaman198(m): 7:45am On Oct 05, 2015
Funjosh:
May be it will get to Nigeria in the year 2050 tongue

If Nigeria was SERIOUS (serious being the key word here). There is no reason why it shouldn't be mainstream in Nigeria within the next 5 years.
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by Funjosh(m): 7:54am On Oct 05, 2015
Fulaman198:

If Nigeria was SERIOUS (serious being the key word here). There is no reason why it shouldn't be mainstream in Nigeria within the next 5 years.

I like the word serious that you use. Hope we are one day sha.

1 Like

Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by Fulaman198(m): 7:59am On Oct 05, 2015
Funjosh:

I like the word serious that you use. Hope we are one day sha.

We will get there brother we just have to make sure we no longer elect corrupt leadership and no longer deal with corruption.
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by tociano009(m): 8:09pm On Oct 05, 2015
My city in Germany is free wifi
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by Fulaman198(m): 8:33am On Oct 06, 2015
tociano009:
My city in Germany is free wifi

Hopefully it isn't slow to crawl wink
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by tociano009(m): 3:35pm On Oct 06, 2015
Fulaman198:

Hopefully it isn't slow to crawl wink
At all very strong and fast because every shops and restaurants get their own wifi
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by Fulaman198(m): 7:25pm On Oct 06, 2015
tociano009:
At all very strong and fast because every shops and restaurants get their own wifi

Very good, could you kindly do a speed test some day on a wireless AC connection (N connection isn't a good gauge) and post it here. I want to see how some ISPs in Germany compare. Thanks!
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 06, 2015
if they bring it to Nigeria, they will shut it down in less than a week. I trust Nigerians , they go download and stream tire ......
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by Fulaman198(m): 8:43pm On Oct 06, 2015
ultron1234:
if they bring it to Nigeria, they will shut it down in less than a week. I trust Nigerians , they go download and stream tire ......

As long as we have the right people in power brother let's have good faith. It will benefit many Nigerians.

I want to see people able to use the internet for what it's worth even in the more remote areas. If people surround themselves more and more with technology, then we will be able to build and produce greater things in this nation.
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by Nobody: 3:00pm On Oct 07, 2015
Fulaman198:
It has already been started a few years ago, some cities like San Francisco in California, United States has it in some sections. This is what Nigeria needs, a proactive company like Google willing to venture out and build for the populace. I would like to see something like this implemented in Abuja, Lagos, Kano, Port Harcourt, Enugu, Sokoto, etc. etc. But right now there is not one company with the resources or the mindset in Nigeria to do such a thing. I'm sure it will happen once corruption has completely ended.

Ha! Please spare me that. When you bring proposals to a company here in Nigeria and you taken for a yahoo boy. Maybe that would be when Nigeria is on Planet Mars.
Re: Google To Bring Free Wifi To The World by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 08, 2015
That should spell doom for mtn and co

(1) (Reply)

A-Z Web Development Course!!! Become An Expert Web Development / How To Index Your New Blog Post On Google In A Minute / PROGRAMMERS WEBDESIGNERS Entrepreneur Alike Whatsapp Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.