Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,702 members, 7,805,888 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers (49726 Views)

FRSC Officials Return N27M Recovered After Deaths Of 8 Edo Indigenes. PICS / Lady Stikes A Pose As Airport Officials In Lagos Stare - .Photos / 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by trapQ: 7:21pm On Oct 03, 2015
Actually, my case was quite different on one occassion. A couple years back, I was travelling out for the first time and checked in my money out of ignorance. so, when they asked of my school fees, I simply told them I checked it in. The immigration officers then said I coulnt travel because there was nothing to show that I had money for my fees. Then a good samaritan (the guy that checked in my luggage at the counter) offered to help me out. HE took me to the luggage compartment of the plane and I was able to identify my bag. I opened it, found my money in tact and I offered to give some dollars (because of his kind gesture) but he turned it down saying I shouldn't mind and that I should hurry to my seat.

Coming back was different tho. Many of the airport workers tried extorting money from me, especially the trolley guys.

1 Like

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by Kingspin(m): 7:23pm On Oct 03, 2015
These and more are the changes the country need to make but some prefer april fool and body langauges.

2 Likes

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by phabulous88(m): 7:31pm On Oct 03, 2015
Chillisauce:
[size=16pt]what do you have for me[/size]?
Very important question they never miss this?

Certified Beggers!

3 Likes

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by kevoh(m): 7:37pm On Oct 03, 2015
All these questions are standard protocol questions(though 9ja officials have a different aim sometimes), you will be amazed at how a nervous drug mule might unwillingly get caught through these simple questions.

My first job interview, I was asked to confirm my Date of Birth, for the following 10 seconds I forgot my Date of Birth, all thanks to being nervous.

1 Like

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by Dee60: 7:39pm On Oct 03, 2015
9/What do you have for your boy?

1 Like

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 03, 2015
The next time I visit the airport I must upload the video on Youtube and alert NL.
The last encounter with those ragboys in carton coloured uniform wey ona think say nah immigration officer was in 2012 jor.
The oYongoyongo was arguing with me that the paper I presented was not a visa, meanwhile it was a tourist visa with the computer codes writtten on it.
I had to invite emirate airline staff to come explain, though I missed my flight. The idiot was saying next time I shud understand that I have to tip them 'something' to avoid this.

I just see no reason why the govt have to employ undergraduates in Federal jobs. The same undergraduates that abuse the job in the NPF and the military.

Well,next time won't be funny cos I also remember giving one a hundred dollar, my bro come dey insult me after we calculated it to be 15k or so,na so illiterate like me rush back to the counter begin dey wreck for my cash. . . I shout sortey shame make the guy squeeze my dollar give me back.

4k Lagos int'l airport joor! Hungry bastaards in uniform. Nah so dem go say ur money no dey enough for travel, even if u have a card they expect u to go and print out ur accounnt statement.

1 Like

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by bayocanny: 7:48pm On Oct 03, 2015
sexydivaomalich:

l agree, l think from her profile she wanted to travel to Costa Rica b4, maybe the visa no get head , hence her reaction on this thread....lmao cheesy
Haha cheesy correct girl you be, imagine of all country in the world, Costa Rica
They kick her fu.king ass
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by pete4real(m): 7:49pm On Oct 03, 2015
Teeboy22:
8. Where do you work?

This one, you must surely hear several times if you use the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja. It is almost like the go-to question for attendants. When I hear this question, often I wonder “are there offices whose employees are not allowed to leave the country?” Or has the law blacklisted employees of some companies from travelling? Your answer to this question is usually followed by “show me you ID card.” I once asked an attendant who claimed to be working for the drug law enforcement agency why this mattered to them, and he said drug traffickers would be inconsistent. I perceived his answer as lame. Anyone can claim an office and forge its ID. What if a traveller is unemployed? Would you stop her?

Have you been profiled in any airport across the world? Share your experience

cc: justwise ,lalasticlala, bigfrancis21, seun ,disguy.samhay
why are you reading this?
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 03, 2015
bayocanny:

Haha cheesy correct girl you be, imagine of all country in the world, Costa Rica
They kick her fu.king ass

Hehehe grin grin cheesy
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by tobie247(m): 7:51pm On Oct 03, 2015
samhay:
Opened my luggage for immigration dey checked, asked me to drop somtin, I opened wallet straight

"Oga, owo mi wa ninu account oo, emo pe cashless policy Lan nlo"
Mean

Oga my cash dey my acct since we operate cashless policy.

I. O : #Ordering his junior
Wo oya carry dat beans and gv him his bag.

I turned everything to prank from here.

I. O: Carry ur baggage comot my from. It's too early to start like dis. #IEscaped.

Went to tag my bag, a lady filled my form finish filling my form, asked for money. I told her same. She vex. She don do am, I no care, I comot.
#IEscaped

Went to departure, @d entrance, d officer collected my passport, see me as 1st timer.
Asked for money. D same excuse, he wan turn am up, 1 rich man putting on agbada came behind me, he faced him immediately seeing a good means to make money, he passed me.

Walked down to abt 3sets of immigration without much stress, no problem.

I was directed to a table at the extreme end with 3senior officers sitting.
Bros! Haba! Immigration would never check ur luggage. Find another lie biko.
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by DollyParton1(f): 8:04pm On Oct 03, 2015
Demmzy15:

To your father mother father's house! undecided

When Jesus returns! undecided

Osogbo Weed!

Yh, I told you earlier. I'm on Oshogbo leaves! undecided

Biafran mosquitoes! undecided

Do you smoke Oshogbo leaves too? How can you be asking me "are you back" When I'm not even gone! undecided

Muri metá undecided

Hahaha!! He said Muri meta. grin grin grin grin
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 03, 2015
Hehe.i never had to go through any of that Throughput my timeof travelling. Dem no dey ask me mumu question
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by kunyeo(m): 8:18pm On Oct 03, 2015
Feranmicharles:
Still hoping to be asked these questions,cos I've never been outta my nation b4 angry embarassed

Omase o.
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by CONTROLi(m): 8:19pm On Oct 03, 2015
I've A Quick Question For Anyone With Experience Please.. As A First Time Traveler, Is It COMPULSORY To Declare Any Amount You're Travelling With; Say For Example $2,000 OR $3,000??

1 Like

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by thundafire: 8:20pm On Oct 03, 2015
some on NL commenting on dis thread will giv experience as if dy have eva travelled out of dy country or even get a passport talk more of visa jst enjoying dy lies 4rm dy ladies ooooo nd some dudes cheesy grin cool

1 Like

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by zumbigbo(m): 8:36pm On Oct 03, 2015
Flew from Sierra Leone to the Gambia...

In Banjul, Gambian control dey vex small, ask me to open my suitcase and hand luggage.

They then open my toiletries bag and tip everything out on the table. Dudu soap, nail clipper, toothpaste, brush, eau de parfum, everything. They then see small compartment, open am, plenty durex spill onto the table.

One skinny, hungry Gambian official kiss his teeth and turn to his colleague...

'These nigerian men just want to come here and spoil our girls'.

The other one turn to me and say...

'Walai, these things are too much for our small country'

He just open the roll and split half...which he then divided on the spot and shared with his colleague.

'You are free to go' he said.

I just collected my things and moved sha. Then i blessed Naija, if that one for MMA, they will be looking for 5K minimum rather than 2 dollar condoms.
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by bashydemy(m): 8:42pm On Oct 03, 2015
Don't mind those eediots at the airport, They ask stupid question and i get pissed when ever am traveling... My response will be..

1... Kuviki land

2... When the trumpet sound

3... Bomb

4... No am on paper

5... my great grand father

6... No am still in kuvuki

7... 150 naira

8... Oshodi motor park

2 Likes

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by adebayo201: 8:47pm On Oct 03, 2015
Michellla:

grins.this was too funnygrin
kiss wink
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by optimusprime2(m): 8:53pm On Oct 03, 2015
I remember while traveling out once, at the Airport in Abuja, I was asked if I was Nigerian... Ok? I thought it was a joke, because I even started giggling - well apparently it got serious, because Immigration put me aside in the name of interrogation, they started asking me about my state, my L.G, where my village is, my L.G chairman's name... now when I realized my flight was in the next 15 mins and if the charade continued I would most definitely miss it, na Im I con spark start to dey claim right as I con follow mention some names... Na so them come free me, Shishi I no pay.

2 Likes

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by mmsen: 8:55pm On Oct 03, 2015
I always get asked if I'm a pastor. Which annoys me because I hate religion and fraud equally, with a passion.

1 Like

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by Mufasa27(m): 9:04pm On Oct 03, 2015
iblaw:
I returned to MMIA from the Uk in March and custom officer after checking my luggage asked me "Dont you have any leftover dollar with you", i just zip my bag and walked away.

Those guys are a disgrace to this nation
Dollars ?? I thought you said you just returned from the U.K

1 Like

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by harry509: 9:13pm On Oct 03, 2015
Teeboy22:
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/features-and-interviews/187267-eight-annoying-questions-nigerian-airport-officials-ask-international-travellers.html

Travelling out of Nigeria can be herculean. Sometimes, not because you’ve got your documentation wrong, but the silly profiling officials at the airport try to make you go through at every desk. Everyone you meet turns himself into some sort of detective profiling you for drugs or terrorism, or just to strike a conversation upon which you would be asked to tip them. Because travellers are usually pressed for time, one tries to avoid confrontations that would cause delays on any counter. Workers at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja are particularly notorious for these, subjecting travellers to annoying profiling.

At the Abuja airport, there is no clear distinction of roles for officials. The attendant who would screen your bag asks you almost the same set of questions as the one who would screen your passport or frisk you before you enter the departure lounge. It appears it is every official’s job to collect information from the traveller.

Here are some of the most common silly questions I have been asked repeatedly, especially in Abuja. Most times, these attendants ask these question with a seriousness that instantly convinces you of the genuineness and the right to know. I really do not see the reason for most of these questions. I am usually amused when I hear some of them.

1. Where are you going to?
I suppose every traveller using the airport has a destination written on their ticket or other travel documents. If the final destination of a traveller has any use for airport attendants, why don’t they just go ahead and ask for tickets or boarding passes?
Sometimes you even get this question after you have handed in your travel documents. The funny thing with this question is that the officials asking do not intend to document the answers in any way; and if a traveller gives the wrong answer, they never bother to crosscheck. Maybe they ask so as to break the ice with you.
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by cao(f): 9:16pm On Oct 03, 2015
Mufasa27:

Dollars ?? I thought you said you just returned from the U.K
It's their default setting, as long as you're coming from obodo oyinbo that's what they'll ask.
Anywho, and on top of all the nonsense I'll go through when I arrive to Nigeria, I may also get stopped by an annoying police officer on my way home. On one occasion, the policeman was trying to ask for money, pointed out I didn't have any. He realised that I was not budging, then he decided to give me his life story. He let me go after it was obvious I wasn't going to pay him for his Tales by Moonlight story.

3 Likes

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by tosyne2much(m): 9:18pm On Oct 03, 2015
agarawu23:
grin

They will only ask these question if you are traveling with a virgin passport. Once they see your passport with many stamps, the question will reduce..

Two months ago, one guy in the airport was trying to play me but I didn't say anything. Where to? Who are you going with? What's in your bag? Are you a student or worker ? ( he then stretch his hand demanding for my passport, when he opened it, he was like "eleyi ti pe loko o " meaning "this one don tey for farm o" facing his co workers ) I cant laugh because I pretended as if I didn't heard what he was saying . he just gave me my passport sharp sharp. I was like werey, shishi I know get cheesy
Boss i throway salute ooo cool
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by Teeboy22(m): 9:22pm On Oct 03, 2015
tosyne2much:
AMEN
America all the way nah cool
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by erimmy(m): 9:25pm On Oct 03, 2015
[quote author=tonychristopher post=38633380]

This the worst I hate..I have confronted one at the airport ..one daft custom man collected my passport he looked at it and asked me where am I coming from.? I looked at him in a sarcastic manner and I told him ...oga you are with my passport and you are seeing you the visa and exit stamp of the country and you still ask me this question

He then ask if I had chocolate for him....I just told him is for my kids

It can be irritating

I wait for them again next week [/quote Guy you are even the daft one here.How come you mistook an immigration officer to a custom officer. My take is that,it's either you haven't travelled out before or you don't know jack about the different government agencies and their functions.
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by Lucasbalo(m): 9:35pm On Oct 03, 2015
kennygee:

Same here.

At the right time and for the right reason, you will.

You could be living better here than some clowns there.
Nigerians and their inborn hatred for others. Why calling some people clowns because they live outside the country. That's not ladylike especially for someone asking about Costa Rica visa. My wife and I have been to C/R thrice on vacation and there is nothing more to your paradise on earth.

1 Like

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by olutunde12(m): 9:36pm On Oct 03, 2015
Awon ti idi Iroko nko?

Everybody de talk Airport. Maybe to conform with the thread's main topic sha. But let's talk about those Benin Rep officers at the borders too o.

1 Like

Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by tonychristopher: 9:39pm On Oct 03, 2015
[quote author=erimmy post=38640702][/quote]
Hmmm dude that's funny and the way people jump into conclusion as if travel is a big deal ..Bro you don't know me and I am not in a position to brag...
Your funny
In airport what is the big deal
We have the airport police those that wear that blue top
We have ndlea
We have customs especially at the cargo sections you get them at nahco axis
Then the brown wearing immigrations

You must be stupid to think that

What is 18k online ticket domestic

Well I don't blame you...your the type that thinks air travel is luxury

Damn

People can be nasty...do you even know me to counter my experience

I laugh ...me Igbo dude .u dey ask travel

Hian nawa for poverty
Owi na bastard
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by tonychristopher: 9:43pm On Oct 03, 2015
[quote author=erimmy post=38640702][/quote]

Do you realise that your funny

What is in travel

I feel so sorry for you if you can't afford 18k for online booking ..next week I will be travelling again

Guy grow up

You don't damn know me
Re: Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers by olutunde12(m): 9:44pm On Oct 03, 2015
Lucasbalo:
Nigerians and their inborn hatred for others. Why calling some people clowns because they live outside the country. That's not ladylike especially for someone asking about Costa Rica visa. My wife and I have been to C/R thrice on vacation and there is nothing more to your paradise on earth.

See sense, i like this guy daku!

Leave them even in some west african contries you are better off. At least you dont wake up everyday to the news of bomb blast and

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Deported After Confessing His Immigration Status To UK Catholic Priest / Nigerian Drug Convict Daniel Enemuo, 5 Others Executed In Indonesia - Pics / Nigerian Lady Gets Deported From The U.S Because Of Weaves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.