Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,638 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) (62919 Views)

Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf / Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf (vernonia Amygdalina) / South African Nursing College To Train More Health Workers From Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by ogaprime(m): 5:52pm On Oct 03, 2015
I don't know what's bitter in bitter leave ooo

Me that I mix..
Bitter leaves
Aloe vera
Moringa
Lemon
Garlic
Ginger

All at once to drink nkor...

Na when una no go get big mighty huge large dripping belle when na to eat nwokobi and 7bottles of beer drink, most especially women,big belle without pregnancy....smh

1 Like

Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by Popesultan: 5:53pm On Oct 03, 2015
TrishaP:
I have been a regular user of this wonderful leaf and I've seen all the improvements in my body. So I had to share this with you.

Health Benefits of Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina)

Bitter leaf plant

Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina) is a vegetable used for preparing the popular Bitter leaf soupOnugbu, Shiwaka & Ewuro by the Igbos, Hausas&Yorubas in Nigeria.

Although this plant has been around for hundreds of years, only a few people know of its medicinal and healing properties.

Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina) as the name implies, is actually a bitter plant whose leaves, extracts, stems and barks are used for culinary,medicinal and curative purposes.  
 Vitamins in Bitter leaf includes;Vitamin A, Vitamin C ,Vitamin E, Vit.B1 and Vit.B2.

My grandma was a big fan of the bitter leaf juice, and on one of my visits she made me drink the juice to cure a fever. I hated the bitter taste, at that time, but when I realized the fever was gone, I humbly joined the Bitter leaf fan club ... ☺.... those grey hair on her head ain't there for nothing, Right?.

Bitter leaf and Spinach JuiceWell, To get the best results from the bitter leaf plant, it's best taken freshly squeezed from the leaves. 

How to extract the Bitter leaf Juice

This can be done, the old school way of rubbing the clean leaves in between your palms with the help of a little water and squeezing out the juice from the leaves.

You can also use a juicer or blend the leaves with a little water, in a blender and strain out the extract with a cheese cloth, coffee strainer or a sieve with a tight mesh.

Bitter leaf juice on its own, is quite bitter and this taste might be a turn off for a lot of people.
 So to reduce the bitterness of the  bitter leaf juice, simply blend it with spinach or Ugwu (fluted pumpkin). If you still find it extremely bitter, then add some sweet fruit juices to it, such as pineapple , apples or oranges.

Dry bitter leaf is also potent, but has to be properly cleaned before use.

Some of the health benefits of  Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina);

* It speeds up metabolism and therefore is great for weight loss. 

* Bitter leaf juice relieves fever and feverish conditions. Take the squeezed juice, 3 times daily until the symptoms disappears.

* It also helps to reduce high sugar level in the blood, and great for diabetic patients. 

* Squeeze the fresh leaves on your palm and apply the juice on skin rashes,eczema, ring worms and any superficial skin ailments, you'll notice a change in few days. Don't apply to open wounds.

* Bitter leaf is said to soothe and also cure pile .

* Taking a cup of bitter leaf juice a day, is a great way to detoxify the body of harmful toxins. 

* Bitter leaf juice nourishes the skin.

* Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina) also cures mild stomach ailments 

* Bitter leaf juice is said to increase breast milk production in nursing mothers.

* The washed roots and stalks of bitterleaf  are boiled and the infusion is taking as a worm expeller. A cup of bitter leaf infusion taking first thing in the morning before meals 

* Bitter leaf juice is used by local women in Guinea-Bissau to contract the uterus after childbirth and therefore should not be taking during pregnancy  or if you're trying to conceive,because high intake might cause miscarriage.

* A cup of bitter leaf juice a day, energizes you...o yes it does.

Lalasticlala ishilove farano Dominique let's educate some people that this leaf is not just an ordinary leaf.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by dnwabz: 6:02pm On Oct 03, 2015
hadura29:

Nice write up op...

I use it alot and its always working..

But have you tried juicing it with scent leaf? Superb
. YOUR HEAD IS THERE!!! grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by ogaprime(m): 6:02pm On Oct 03, 2015
TrishaP:

Yes dear it does. I'm a mistress of chocolates and many sugar substance that leads to menstrual cramps. It tells on me month ends.
But when I discovered these benefits, it helped reduce these cramps and possibly brokedown these sugar contents, I decided to make it my backup. smiley

Its time for us to stop taking sugar. Sugar is inside everything we eat especially fast food pastry products and someone is still shouting for shawama as if she can't survive without.

If not of how expensive fruits are, I have plans to do fruit fasting for a week so as to detox.

Man go die one but it shouldn't be through what we eat..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 03, 2015
koppa:
Torh,so cooking bitter leaf is now a prerequisite for marrying now in igbo,that's good
lol buh hey c'mon its among the main dish.
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by iamBlissA(f): 6:11pm On Oct 03, 2015
Gbam
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by ronald4lif(m): 6:15pm On Oct 03, 2015
TrishaP, unfortunately I don't like anything bitter leaf. embarassed
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by jhonpaul: 6:36pm On Oct 03, 2015
wow thats really a cool thing to get done
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by suwalee(f): 6:45pm On Oct 03, 2015
Luckygurl:

shocked shocked
I might try it out but that lingering bitter taste is just a huge turn off
ok add scent leaf n salt to it a little salt tho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by suwalee(f): 6:46pm On Oct 03, 2015
TrishaP:

Yes dear it does. I'm a mistress of chocolates and many sugar substance that leads to menstrual cramps. It tells on me month ends.
But when I discovered these benefits, it helped reduce these cramps and possibly brokedown these sugar contents, I decided to make it my backup. smiley
aff u tried it wt scent leaf n salt try it works faster
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by TrishaP(f): 7:08pm On Oct 03, 2015
ronald4lif:
TrishaP, unfortunately I don't like anything bitter leaf. embarassed
So what then do you use to beat down sugar in your body?

1 Like

Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by TrishaP(f): 7:10pm On Oct 03, 2015
suwalee:
aff u tried it wt scent leaf n salt try it works faster
And salt?!! I think I'll pass that one ma. The scent leaf and bitter leaf might be okay for now. Gracias

1 Like

Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by AreaFada2: 7:18pm On Oct 03, 2015
Bitter leaf is not just delicious and healthy, it also represents how things usually go in life.
You have to suffer before enjoyment. How?

When you drink or eat bitter leaf soup, it's sure bitter. Drink water after that and it tastes sweet. grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by Ryda(m): 7:21pm On Oct 03, 2015
I took the bitter leaf juice when i had measles and also rubbed some on my body mixed with a little palm oil.
my mum taught me

2 Likes

Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by ronald4lif(m): 7:37pm On Oct 03, 2015
TrishaP:

So what then do you use to beat down sugar in your body?

Nothing precisely, except for my courteousness towards sugary foods. Though not certain but I try not to exceed daily recommended intake and rely on luck.
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by Kentiman(m): 7:54pm On Oct 03, 2015
This stuff is really good. I've tried it and it's great.
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by ROYALD(m): 8:17pm On Oct 03, 2015
d
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by Cameleon72(f): 8:23pm On Oct 03, 2015
Why is it that any thing BITTER brings a BETTER and GREATER outcome. Most Great men exceed through some BITTER prospect in life. I wish i can have a taste of it.

1 Like

Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 03, 2015
Aitee1:
Iffa hear say something wey bitter get health benefits angry angry angry

Why can't there be health benefits of shawamma
most girls who enjoy sweet things always have smelly mouth joor.
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 03, 2015
Tallesty1:
The thing too bitter joor cool
yeah! Not for childsss grin
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 03, 2015
Kai! All these children online. If its bitter does it mean it kills or makes u sicker?

I wonder wetin ona go say if I open a thread on how I drink three balls of garlic juice a week.
I hate alcoholics, I do natures gifts only whether sweet as honeyy or bitter as kolanut or hot as bush pepper.
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by Achieverbb(m): 8:38pm On Oct 03, 2015
Op u sabi good tinz jhur............my favorite mixed with basil leave (Efirin) best vegetable soup eva....... The water dey quick cure pile (Jedi) backache like a moving jet

1 Like

Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by oviejnr(m): 8:46pm On Oct 03, 2015
The weight loss has killed my interest, me wey no get body before undecided undecided angry

1 Like

Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by hajlat(m): 8:48pm On Oct 03, 2015
yomalex:
Nothing like overdose in this matter take it all in

That big cup is too much because it can lower blood sugar,and if blood sugar is too lower, dizziness can occur.
No offence.
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by obiak4(m): 8:53pm On Oct 03, 2015
kennygee:

Try aloe vera.

At least bitter leaf leaves an after sweet taste.

Aloe vera just weakens ur taste buds. E bitter die.
why even eat aloe vera in the first place chai owu na bastard oooooo of all the leaves na aloe vera u see chop
no worry na story for tommorow u must hammer because i knw u serve the son of a carpenter

1 Like

Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by DatBossAssChick(f): 8:56pm On Oct 03, 2015
oviejnr:
The weight loss has killed my interest, me wey no get body before undecided undecided angry
Lol
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by kazzonline: 9:18pm On Oct 03, 2015
Is dis efinrin or ewuro
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by yomalex(m): 9:24pm On Oct 03, 2015
hajlat:

That big cup is too much because it can lower blood sugar,and if blood sugar is too lower, dizziness can occur.
No offence.
None taken, a cup a day/week won't cause your blood sugar to drop to that extent
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by hadura29(m): 10:03pm On Oct 03, 2015
dnwabz:

No be my fault oo bros... Agbo la fi dagba... I chew gingeR and garlic raw... Orogbo sweeet too.. grin
dnwabz:

No be my fault oo bros... Agbo la fi dagba... I chew gingeR and garlic raw... Orogbo sweeet too..
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by hadura29(m): 10:06pm On Oct 03, 2015
kazzonline:
Is dis efinrin or ewuro
Is ewuro bro... But mix with efirin better cleanser..
Re: Let's Get To Know More Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf(vernonia Amygdalina) by miqos02(m): 10:17pm On Oct 03, 2015
TrishaP:
I have been a regular user of this wonderful leaf and I've seen all the improvements in my body. So I had to share this with you.

Health Benefits of Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina)

Bitter leaf plant

Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina)

My grandma was a big fan of the bitter leaf juice, and on one of my visits she made me drink the juice to cure a [b]fever.
* Bitter leaf juice relieves fever and feverish conditions. Take the squeezed juice, 3 times daily until the symptoms disappears.

confirm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dead Body In Yobe Transported With Wheelbarrow From Hospital To Deceased Home / World Dirtiest Man, Amou Haji Has Died In Iran At Age 94 (pictures) / Girl Undergoes Surgery To Correct Her K-leg. Before & After Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.