Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,241 members, 7,780,475 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:10 PM

Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? (5360 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. / Even Water Proves That Atheism Is False. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by freelance(m): 11:06am On Oct 09, 2006
Sometimes i wonder why people will just decide or rather believe there in no God or GOD does not exist. Sometimes i think maybe it is the highest level of ignorance or maybe the highest level of stupidity. What do you think about athesist. Someone once said that everybody should believe in something but when you don't believe in anything shocked! I simply can't comprehend that one. What is your mind about this. Kindly share it on this thread.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by KAG: 10:06pm On Oct 11, 2006
freelance:

Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False

False.

Sometimes i wonder why people will just decide or rather believe there in no God or GOD does not exist. Sometimes i think maybe it is the highest level of ignorance or maybe the highest level of stupidity. What do you think about athesist.

I dont know, why do people decide or rather believe there are no Elves or Elves do not exist? It surely must be ignorance to disregard the existence of the Invisible Pink Unicorn, no? And to hold that Zeus isn't throwing down thunderbolts surely must be stupidity.

Someone once said that everybody should believe in something but when you don't believe in anything shocked! I simply can't comprehend that one. What is your mind about this. Kindly share it on this thread.

Lacking a belief in Gods doesn't equate to lacking a belief in everything and anything.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by bluenubian(f): 12:40am On Oct 12, 2006
I wonder where u got the idea for this topic?
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by jagunlabi(m): 7:17pm On Oct 15, 2006
Or maybe the starter wanted to say;
"Religion Is An Act Of Ignorance,True Or False?" wink
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by Seun(m): 8:02pm On Oct 15, 2006
That's more like what he should have said. Religion is mass delusion. It's for those who can't deal with reality.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by nferyn(m): 8:53pm On Oct 15, 2006
freelance:

Sometimes i wonder why people will just decide or rather believe there in no God or GOD does not exist.
Because there is no credible evidence in favor of God, maybe?

freelance:

Sometimes i think maybe it is the highest level of ignorance or maybe the highest level of stupidity.
And what incredible applications of logic may have led you to that conclusion. You might check your thought process yourself before you come up with these kind of ideas

freelance:

What do you think about athesist.
That, on average, they're more intelligent than theists.

freelance:

Someone once said that everybody should believe in something but when you don't believe in anything shocked! I simply can't comprehend that one.
And who then doesn't believe in anything? Atheists? Is God the only thing that can be called something?

freelance:

What is your mind about this. Kindly share it on this thread.
I advise you to open yours and think about what you wrote.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by bluenubian(f): 2:25pm On Nov 03, 2006
ha Nferyn, im in love with ur mind!!
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by freelance(m): 5:07pm On Nov 03, 2006
Thanx all. I was just talking to someone that did not believe in God or anything and he said he is a free thinker. But i get what you guyz are saying and appreciate it.

You will succeed!
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by Drusilla(f): 6:22pm On Nov 03, 2006
Freelance,

On a certain level, sure your right.

A Holy Spirit filled Christian trying to explain God to an Athiest, is akin to a human trying to explain quantum physics to an ant.

So from a certain point of view, they just look ignorant. To us.

However that does not make them ignorant about other issues.

Ants do fine at doing what ants do.

As Jesus said: They do not even understand human things, how the heck could they understand heavenly things?

i.e. Ants have no reasoning about what they themselves do or are in this world, how could they understand what humans are up too?

But once again, ants are fine at ant things, those are instinctual and no need for thinking about it.

So calling them ignorant is out of place and arrogant they would just feel attacked about the "irrational human things" you are trying to explain.

They would try to impose their ant thinking on you, to prove that your human thinking has to be irrational.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by goodguy(m): 9:59pm On Nov 03, 2006
nferyn:

What makes you arrive at this conclusion? Simply because we believe in what you have failed to realize exists? Anyway, no need for much talk. I believe Drusilla's analogy is a perfect comparism to your situation.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by KAG: 7:54pm On Nov 06, 2006
Drusilla:

Freelance,

On a certain level, sure your right.

A Holy Spirit filled Christian trying to explain God to an Athiest, is akin to a human trying to explain quantum physics to an ant.

So from a certain point of view, they just look ignorant. To us.

However that does not make them ignorant about other issues.

Ants do fine at doing what ants do.

As Jesus said: They do not even understand human things, how the heck could they understand heavenly things?

i.e. Ants have no reasoning about what they themselves do or are in this world, how could they understand what humans are up too?

But once again, ants are fine at ant things, those are instinctual and no need for thinking about it.

So calling them ignorant is out of place and arrogant they would just feel attacked about the "irrational human things" you are trying to explain.

Interesting, calling atheists ignorant is out of place and arrogant, but asserting they are ants to your quantum physics understanding human is all fine, dandy, and certainly not hubristic. Nice. Good to know the arts of fundamentalist diplomacy and no sense of irony aren't dead and buried yet.

They would try to impose their ant thinking on you, to prove that your human thinking has to be irrational.

Indeed.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by nferyn(m): 9:04pm On Nov 06, 2006
goodguy:

What makes you arrive at this conclusion?
It's just a guess. I haven't got any real hard data to back this up. Anyway, it was more of a rhetorical insert than anything else. On the other hand, there is some evidence to support the assertion that either atheists are more moral than theists or they're just smarter:
http://www.skepticfiles.org/american/prison.htm
http://atheistempire.com/reference/stats/main.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/religiosity-and-intelligence
http://kspark.kaist.ac/Jesus/Intelligence%20&%20religion.htm

goodguy:

Simply because we believe in what you have failed to realize exists?
Isn't that statement a wee bit circular?

goodguy:

Anyway, no need for much talk. I believe Drusilla's analogy is a perfect comparism to your situation.
Indeed, defining a problem ot of existence is comparable to solving it.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by macalurs(m): 3:34am On Nov 22, 2006
atheists are dumb.

Theists are dumber.

wink "you have the right to an attorney, and if you can't afford one, I provide you with the dumbest fucking lawyer in california. And if you call Johnny Cochran, I'll kill you." Chris Rock.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by jagunlabi(m): 4:50pm On Nov 22, 2006
So who is smart, then?
macalurs:

atheists are dumb.

Theists are dumber.

wink "you have the right to an attorney, and if you can't afford one, I provide you with the dumbest fucking lawyer in california. And if you call Johnny Cochran, I'll kill you." Chris Rock.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by goodguy(m): 11:55pm On Nov 22, 2006
Non-theists, I guess. undecided
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by macalurs(m): 12:40am On Nov 23, 2006
No one is smart, and everyone is smart.

What do I mean? If ignorance is bliss, and everyone has an opinion, then everyone is ignorant.

There is no right or wrong. But there is appropriate, hence inappropriate.

There are some things in this world theists can explain, atheists explain better, and vice-versa. It doesn't mean either party is smarter; one just has a better explaination at a particular point in time. Who determines which is the "better explaination"? Your call.

There was a point in time in this world, when theism was rubbish, and could explain nothing, same for atheism. But time's moving on and theism is fading away as atheism takes the spot-light. But believe me, a time will come when atheism will be "old-school" and something else will be born. Someone's like "when's that?" I'm like: "believe me."

There is no universal knowledge. But what about the theory that states that "there is no universal knowledge"?

think.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by kimba(m): 11:34pm On Nov 23, 2006
I dont see atheism as an act of ignorance.

heres a summary from Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism
Atheism is the disbelief[1] in the existence of God and other deities.[2] It is commonly defined as the positive denial of theism (ie. the assertion that deities do not exist),[3] or the deliberate rejection of theism (ie. the refusal to believe in the existence of deities).[4] However, others—including most atheistic philosophers and groups—define atheism as the simple absence of belief in deities[5][6][7] (cf. nontheism), thereby designating many agnostics, and people who have never heard of gods, such as the unchurched or newborn children, as atheists as well.[8][9] In recent years, some atheists have adopted the terms strong and weak atheism to clarify whether they consider their stance one of positive belief no gods exist, or of negative unbelief.[10]

Many self-described atheists share common skeptical concerns regarding empirical evidence for spiritual or supernatural claims. They cite a lack of evidence for the existence of deities. Other rationales for atheism range from the personal to the philosophical to the social to the historical. Additionally, while atheists tend to accept secular philosophies such as humanism, naturalism and materialism, they do not necessarily adhere to any one particular ideology, nor does atheism have any institutionalized rituals or behaviors.[11]

Atheism is very often equated with irreligion or nonspirituality in Western culture,[12] but they are not the same. Some religious and spiritual beliefs, such as several forms of Buddhism, have been described by outside observers as conforming to the broader, negative definition of atheism due to their lack of any participating deities.[13] Atheism is also sometimes erroneously equated with antitheism (opposition to theism) or antireligion (opposition to religion). Some philosophers and academics, such as philosopher Jurgen Habermas call themselves "methodological atheists" (also known as or methodological naturalism)[3] [4] [5] to denote that whatever their personal beliefs, they do not include theistic presuppositions in their method.

Still going along the ignorance line, I would rather say Atheistm is an act of willful ignorance.
Its like saying theres nothing like air since I cant see it.

On the other hand "a wrong view of who God is" has also led some people to the belief that He doesnt exist. When we were young, we were told, if you dont like your teacher, you wont like his/her subject, and passing the course will be the next thing to difficult. So also, if one has a wrong and biased view of something, he/she will always find a reason to disprove, condemn, belittle and make mockery of whatever such a thing is. And the truth is there is an answer(truth or false) for everything.

Christianity is experiential. Its not the 1,2 and 3 do this and then I believe you exist kind of mentality that we have. Without experiencing Christ, you dont have a story to tell, you dont have a testimony. Clean and clear you heart out of all the biases, invite Christ into your heart in a genuine manner and see if you wont feel His presence.

There are many people who are naturally blind. We pray for those, that they may see.
Its a greater problem when others, who have eyes, close them and say 'I cant see'.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by macalurs(m): 7:16pm On Nov 24, 2006
Shouldn't the fact that there are many other explanations for occurences religious humans deem "SPIRITUAL", make one skeptical about it?

Hypnosis (according to wikipedia) is a state of mind in which a person's conscious critical thinking mind is bypassed and communication with the subconscious mind is established. Although some individuals experience an increase in suggestibility and subjective feelings of an 'altered state of consciousness', this is not true for everyone. In fact, some supposed hypnotic indicators and subjective changes can be achieved without relaxation or a lengthy induction, a fact that increases the controversy around hypnosis.

Everything is as everything appears. A mosquito bites you, say God touched you, and all you have to do is believe it for it to be true. Life is subjective. That's what makes God who He is: Nothing (to some) and everything (to others).
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by freelance(m): 12:01pm On Nov 30, 2006
@ Kimba
Nice one!
You guys have been great.
Godspeed!
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by KAG: 1:24am On Dec 14, 2006
kimba:

I don't see atheism as an act of ignorance.

heres a summary from Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism
Still going along the ignorance line, I would rather say Atheistm is an act of willful ignorance.

Weird.

Its like saying theres nothing like air since I can't see it.

Actually it isn't.

On the other hand "a wrong view of who God is" has also led some people to the belief that He doesnt exist. When we were young, we were told, if you don't like your teacher, you wont like his/her subject, and passing the course will be the next thing to difficult. So also, if one has a wrong and biased view of something, he/she will always find a reason to disprove, condemn, belittle and make mockery of whatever such a thing is. And the truth is there is an answer(truth or false) for everything.

Maybe theists just haven't - despite thousands of years of honing - gotten the hang of their deities yet, so they can project them in anyway that doesn't fall apart on closer inspection.

Christianity is experiential. Its not the 1,2 and 3 do this and then I believe you exist kind of mentality that we have. Without experiencing Christ, you don't have a story to tell, you don't have a testimony. Clean and clear you heart out of all the biases, invite Christ into your heart in a genuine manner and see if you wont feel His presence.

I don't know, based on what I've seen there's probably no more than three or four Christians then, because most definitely haven't "experienced Christ (the love thy neighbour Christ, not the I come to bring tribulations Christ). Anyway, I have the T-Shirt.

There are many people who are naturally blind. We pray for those, that they may see.
Its a greater problem when others, who have eyes, close them and say 'I can't see'.

Rather appropriately, the naturally blind don't see after the parayers, but soon scientists may have figured out a way to cure all levels of blindness. Fitting I'd say.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by IDINRETE: 7:50pm On Sep 20, 2007
Infidel where are you?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:03pm On Sep 20, 2007
To deny the existence of God is as foolish and stupid as to deny the existence of electricity, heat, light, cold and innumerable other things seen and unseen. Many people today can give testimonies of lifes changed by faith in God, answers to prayer and personal experiences of many types. While this is so among believers in Christ not one secular humanist, agnostic or atheist can boast of any benefit from his unbelief and if there appears to be any they are set on a slippery slope for the big fall that will come on them suddenly.Psa.73:18,19
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:11pm On Sep 20, 2007
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God".  Psalm 14:1

For the atheist to arrive at this conclusion he must be 100% sure of the knowledge and understanding of everything in space, time and matter in this world and in the universe.  If you cannot guarantee the perfect knowledge of everything that you see how can you conclude on what you do not see?

This is a testimony of an atheist:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/feedback/Joel_Galvin_Testimony.asp
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by KAG: 12:08am On Sep 21, 2007
OLAADEGBU:

To deny the existence of God is as foolish and stupid as to deny the existence of electricity, heat, light, cold and innumerable other things seen and unseen.

Um, no, not really. All the things you mentioned can be tested for and against, their existences or non-existences can also be falsified or will have the potential to be falsified.

Many people today can give testimonies of lifes changed by faith in God, answers to prayer and personal experiences of many types.

And many can testify about prayers that were unanswered, lives affected adversely due to religion, and can present many other anecdotes. What's more interesting, though, is that people from many religions - even religions that are diametrically opposites - can present the same argument you've presented for their own God(s).

While this is so among believers in Christ not one secular humanist, agnostic or atheist can boast of any benefit from his unbelief and if there appears to be any they are set on a slippery slope for the big fall that will come on them suddenly.Psa.73:18,19

Don't be silly: odds are you don't personally know any secular humanists, atheists or agnostics.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by KAG: 12:20am On Sep 21, 2007
OLAADEGBU:

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God". Psalm 14:1

But the wise have lifted up their voices and proclaimed it out loud.

For the atheist to arrive at this conclusion he must be sure 100% of the knowledge and understanding of everything in space, time and matter in this world and in the universe. If you cannot guarantee the perfect knowledge of everything that you see how can you conclude on what you do not see?

Poor argument. By your reckoning, we can't conclude that Santa, the Easter Bunny, Leprechauns, Unicorns, and Yog-Sothoth don't exist either. Oh well, all hail Zeus.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/feedback/Joel_Galvin_Testimony.asp

http://exchristian.net/testimonies/2005/01/former-fundamentalist-turned-atheist.php
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:54am On Sep 21, 2007
The theory of evolution of the Coca Cola can.

Billions of years ago, a big bang produced a large rock. As the rock cooled, sweet brown liquid formed on its surface. As time passed, aluminum formed itself into a can, a lid, and a tab. Millions of years later, red and white paint fell from the sky, and formed itself into the words "Coca Cola 12 fluid ounces."

Of course, my theory is an insult to your intellect, because you know that if the Coca Cola can is made, there must be a maker. If it is designed, there must be a designer. The alternative, that it happened by chance or accident, is to move into an intellectual free zone.

The banana -- the atheist's nightmare.

Note that the banana:

Is shaped for human hand
Has non-slip surface
Has outward indicators of inward content:
Green-too early,
Yellow-just right,
Black-too late.
Has a tab for removal of wrapper
Is perforated on wrapper
Bio-degradable wrapper
Is shaped for human mouth
Has a point at top for ease of entry
Is pleasing to taste buds
Is curved towards the face to make eating process easy

To say that the banana happened by accident is even more unintelligent than to say that no one designed the Coca Cola can.

TEST ONE
The person who thinks the Coca Cola can had no designer is:
     ___ A. Intelligent
     ___ B. A fool
     ___ C. Has an ulterior motive for denying the obvious 

Did you know that the eye has 40,000,000 nerve endings, the focusing muscles move an estimated 100,000 times a day, and the retina contains 137,000,000 light sensitive cells?

Charles Darwin said,

"To suppose that the eye could have been formed by natural selection, seems I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."

If man cannot begin to make a human eye, how could anyone in his right mind think that eyes formed by mere chance? In fact, man cannot make anything from nothing. We don't know how to do it. We can re-create, reform, develop . . . but we cannot create even one grain of sand from nothing. Yet, the eye is only a small part of the most sophisticated part of creation-the human body.

George Gallup, the famous statistician, said,

"I could prove God statistically; take the human body alone; the chance that all the functions of the individual would just happen, is a statistical monstrosity."

Albert Einstein said,

"Everyone who is seriously interested in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe—a spirit vastly superior to man, and one in the face of which our modest powers must feel humble."

TEST TWO
A. Do you know of any building that didn't have a builder?

___ YES  ___ NO

B. Do you know of any painting that didn't have a painter?

___ YES  ___ NO

C. Do you know of any car that didn't have a maker?

___ YES  ___ NO
If you answered "YES" for any of the above, give details:

Could I convince you that I dropped 50 oranges onto the ground and they by chance fell into ten rows of five oranges? The logical conclusion is that someone with an intelligent mind put them there. The odds that ten oranges would fall by accident into a straight line are mind-boggling, let alone ten rows of five.

TEST THREE
A. From the atom to the universe, is there order?

___ YES  ___ NO

B. Did it happen by accident?

___ YES  ___ NO

C. Or, must there have been an intelligent mind?

___ YES  ___ NO

D. What are the chances of 50 oranges falling by chance
into ten rows of five oranges? ______________________

The declaration "There is no God" is what is known as an absolute statement. For an absolute statement to be true, I must have absolute knowledge.

Here is another absolute statement: "There is no gold in China."

TEST FOUR
What do I need to have for that statement to be true?
A. No knowledge of China.

___ YES  ___ NO

B. Partial knowledge of China.

___ YES  ___ NO

C. Absolute knowledge of China.

___ YES  ___ NO

"C" is the correct answer. For the statement to be true, I must know that there is no gold in China, or the statement is incorrect. To say "There is no God," and to be correct in the statement, I must be omniscient.

I must know how many hairs are upon every head, every thought of every human heart, every detail of history, every atom within every rock, nothing is hidden from my eyes, I know the intimate details of the secret love-life of the fleas on the back of the black cat of Napolean's great-grandmother. To make the absolute statement "There is no God." I must have absolute knowledge that there isn't one.

Let's say that this circle represents all the knowledge in the entire universe, and let's assume that you have an incredible 1% of all that knowledge. Is it possible, that in the knowledge you haven't yet come across, there is ample evidence to prove that God does indeed exist?

If you are reasonable, you will have to say, "Having the limited knowledge that I have at present, I believe that there is no God." In other words, you don't know if God exists, so you are not an "atheist," you are what is commonly known as an "agnostic." You are like a man who looks at a building, and doesn't know if there was a builder.

TEST FIVE
The man who sees a building and doesn't know if there was a builder is:
     ___ A. Intelligent
     ___ B. A fool

Perhaps you have questions that hold you back from faith. First, almost every question you have about suffering humanity etc., can be adequately answered.

Second, we have faith in plenty of things we don't understand. Did you understand the mechanics of television before you turned it on? Probably not. You took a step of faith, turned it on, and after it worked, understanding how it worked wasn't that important. We accept that there are unseen television waves right in front of our eyes. We can't see them because they are invisible. For them to manifest, we need a receiver, then we can enjoy the experience of television.

God is not flesh and blood. He is an eternal Spirit-immortal and invisible. Like the television waves, He cannot be experienced until the "receiver" is switched on. Here is something you will find hard to believe: Jesus said, "He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him" (John 14:21).

Either that is true or it isn't. Jesus Christ says that He will manifest Himself to anyone who obeys Him. Approach the subject the same way you approached your first television set. Just take a small step of faith. If it works, enjoy it, if it doesn't, forget it.

Or have you an ulterior motive? Could it be that the "atheist" can't find God, for the same reason a thief can't find a policeman? Could it be that your love for sin is clouding your good judgment? If the Bible is true, and Jesus Christ has "abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the Gospel," then you owe it to yourself just to check it out. Here is how to do that:

TEST SIX
With a tender conscience,
check this list of the Ten Commandments: Have I always loved God my Creator with all my heart, mind, soul and strength?
Have I made a god in my own image�a god to suit myself?
Have I ever used God's name in vain?
Have I kept the Sabbath holy?
Have I always honoured my parents implicitly?
Have I murdered (God considers hatred as murder)?
Have I committed adultery (including premarital sex and lust)?
Have I stolen (the value is irrelevant)?
Have I lied (including fibs and these questions)?
Have I coveted (been greedy or materialistic)?

____YES  ___NO

___ YES  ___NO
___ YES  ___NO
___ YES  ___NO

___ YES  ___NO

___ YES  ___NO

___ YES  ___NO
___ YES  ___NO

___ YES  ___NO

___ YES  ___NO 

If you have even broken one Law, then you have sinned against God and therefore will "surely die," for the "wages of sin is death."

We are all guilty of breaking the Commandments. Listen to the voice of your conscience, and let it remind you of some of the sins of the past. We are not perfect as we are commanded to be (Matthew 5:48), neither is our heart pure. On Judgment Day our transgressions will be the evidence of our shame. Think of it: God has seen every sin we have ever committed. We share our thought-life with Him.

We are guilty of violating His Law a multitude of times, yet if we repent, God can forgive us because Jesus stepped into the courtroom 2,000 years ago and paid the fine for us.

His death on the cross satisfied the Law we so blatantly transgressed, and at the same time demonstrated how much God loves us—"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." His shed blood on the cross can make you clean in the sight of a holy God, as though you have never sinned.

God doesn't want you to go to Hell. Please, forget your arguments, repent and put your trust in Jesus and be saved from God's wrath. Make Psalm 51 your prayer, then read your Bible daily and always obey what you read; God will never let you down. Thank you for taking the time to read this message.

Adapted from God Doesn't Believe in Atheists
by Ray Comfort (Living Waters)
available through your Christian bookstore.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by KAG: 2:53am On Sep 21, 2007
Oh dear! embarassed

OLAADEGBU:

The theory of evolution of the Coca Cola can.

Billions of years ago, a big bang produced a large rock. As the rock cooled, sweet brown liquid formed on its surface. As time passed, aluminum formed itself into a can, a lid, and a tab. Millions of years later, red and white paint fell from the sky, and formed itself into the words "Coca Cola 12 fluid ounces."

Of course, my theory is an insult to your intellect, because you know that if the Coca Cola can is made, there must be a maker. If it is designed, there must be a designer. The alternative, that it happened by chance or accident, is to move into an intellectual free zone.

I hope this doesn't seem rude, but neither you nor Ray Comfort knows anything about the Big Bang theory or the theory of evolution. What is insulting is that neither of you has taken the time to even get vaguely acquianted with the theories you denegrate.

The banana -- the atheist's nightmare.

Note that the banana:

Is shaped for human hand
Has non-slip surface
Has outward indicators of inward content:
Green-too early,
Yellow-just right,
Black-too late.
Has a tab for removal of wrapper
Is perforated on wrapper
Bio-degradable wrapper
Is shaped for human mouth
Has a point at top for ease of entry
Is pleasing to taste buds
Is curved towards the face to make eating process easy

To say that the banana happened by accident is even more unintelligent than to say that no one designed the Coca Cola can.

While Comfort is right that the banana is the atheist's nightmare (after all, everyone knows that the dreams of all true atheists consists of giant bananas chasing them to chew them), he seems oblivious to the fact that modern bananas are an example of evolution. There's a good reason modern bananas fit the phallic imagery of Comfort's: humans caused them to evolve. Also, no one claims bananas - and indeed other species - happened by accident

TEST ONE
The person who thinks the Coca Cola can had no designer is:
___ A. Intelligent
___ B. A fool

Did you know that the eye has 40,000,000 nerve endings, the focusing muscles move an estimated 100,000 times a day, and the retina contains 137,000,000 light sensitive cells?

Charles Darwin said,

"To suppose that the eye could have been formed by natural selection, seems I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."

If man cannot begin to make a human eye, how could anyone in his right mind think that eyes formed by mere chance? In fact, man cannot make anything from nothing. We don't know how to do it. We can re-create, reform, develop . . . but we cannot create even one grain of sand from nothing. Yet, the eye is only a small part of the most sophisticated part of creation-the human body.

George Gallup, the famous statistician, said,

"I could prove God statistically; take the human body alone; the chance that all the functions of the individual would just happen, is a statistical monstrosity."

Albert Einstein said,

"Everyone who is seriously interested in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe—a spirit vastly superior to man, and one in the face of which our modest powers must feel humble."

First, you can only use Coca-Cola cans as an analogy when they start reproducing. Until then, mentioning them is moot.

Second, the evolution of the eye -including that of humans - is not impossible nor is it implausible naturally. Also, here's the full Darwin quote:

[center]To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree. Yet reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a perfect and complex eye to one very imperfect and simple, each grade being useful to its possessor, can be shown to exist; if further, the eye does vary ever so slightly, and the variations be inherited, which is certainly the case; and if any variation or modification in the organ be ever useful to an animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, can hardly be considered real. How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself first originated; but I may remark that several facts make me suspect that any sensitive nerve may be rendered sensitive to light, and likewise to those coarser vibrations of the air which produce sound. [/center]

There was no reason to quotemine Darwin. By the way, Gallup was wrong and Einstein was a pantheist, and neither's quotes matter in a discussion on the evolution of human parts.

TEST TWO
A. Do you know of any building that didn't have a builder?

___ YES ___ NO

Yes.

B. Do you know of any painting that didn't have a painter?

___ YES ___ NO

C. Do you know of any car that didn't have a maker?

No

___ YES ___ NO

Some natural structures could loosely be considered buildings.

Could I convince you that I dropped 50 oranges onto the ground and they by chance fell into ten rows of five oranges? The logical conclusion is that someone with an intelligent mind put them there. The odds that ten oranges would fall by accident into a straight line are mind-boggling, let alone ten rows of five.

However, if, somehow, there was a narrow funnel-esque structure on the ground that allows only one orange at a time to pass through it, in time you may have a lot of oranges in a straight line. It won't need any divine intervention.

TEST THREE
A. From the atom to the universe, is there order?

___ YES ___ NO

B. Did it happen by accident?

___ YES ___ NO

C. Or, must there have been an intelligent mind?

___ YES ___ NO

D. What are the chances of 50 oranges falling by chance
into ten rows of five oranges? ______________________

No, for the first; it may have, for the second; doubtful, for the third; and it depends on the parameters, for the foruth

The declaration "There is no God" is what is known as an absolute statement. For an absolute statement to be true, I must have absolute knowledge.

Not quite.

Here is another absolute statement: "There is no gold in China."

Here is another: there is no intergalatic spaceship equipped with a weapon more deadly than a supernova in China.

TEST FOUR
What do I need to have for that statement to be true?
A. No knowledge of China.

___ YES ___ NO

B. Partial knowledge of China.

___ YES ___ NO

C. Absolute knowledge of China.

___ YES ___ NO

"C" is the correct answer. For the statement to be true, I must know that there is no gold in China, or the statement is incorrect. To say "There is no God," and to be correct in the statement, I must be omniscient.

I must know how many hairs are upon every head, every thought of every human heart, every detail of history, every atom within every rock, nothing is hidden from my eyes, I know the intimate details of the secret love-life of the fleas on the back of the black cat of Napolean's great-grandmother. To make the absolute statement "There is no God." I must have absolute knowledge that there isn't one.

Let's say that this circle represents all the knowledge in the entire universe, and let's assume that you have an incredible 1% of all that knowledge. Is it possible, that in the knowledge you haven't yet come across, there is ample evidence to prove that God does indeed exist?

If you are reasonable, you will have to say, "Having the limited knowledge that I have at present, I believe that there is no God." In other words, you don't know if God exists, so you are not an "atheist," you are what is commonly known as an "agnostic." You are like a man who looks at a building, and doesn't know if there was a builder.

Look Ray, just stop, okay. Just stop. Your reasoning is flawed. In any case, most atheists will point out that while there's no tangible evidence to show a God exists, that doesn't mean there aren't any Gods; however, the Gods that have been presented so far have been found wanting.

[The rest of that]

“Often a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other parts of the world, about the motions and orbits of the stars and even their sizes and distances,… and this knowledge he holds with certainty from reason and experience. It is thus offensive and disgraceful for an unbeliever to hear a Christian talk nonsense about such things, claiming that what he is saying is based in Scripture. We should do all that we can to avoid such an embarrassing situation, lest the unbeliever see only ignorance in the Christian and laugh to scorn.”

– St. Augustine, “De Genesi ad litteram libri duodecim”
(The Literal Meaning of Genesis)
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by Nobody: 9:35am On Sep 21, 2007
Strangely enough, religion is the cause of most of the problems in the world today, an example is the terrorism, past and present.

Not so much the religion, more the act of religious folk only seeing things from their own viewpoint, right or wrong. Without singling out a particular religion, the failure of non-religious folk to accept the religion of another, or religious folk, for example christians, refusing to accept the views of say, a muslim.

Jihad's have been going on for centuries, even in biblical times, so is a religious war acceptable? Would there be less discord in the world today if religion did not exist?
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by IDINRETE: 11:14am On Sep 21, 2007
false
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by macalurs(m): 1:10pm On Sep 22, 2007
Siena:

Would there be less discord in the world today if religion did not exist?

We can't say for sure. But I, at the same time, can't imagine a world without religion, neither can I fathom a world without feeble minds.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by Seun(m): 6:22pm On Sep 22, 2007
Religion isn't really the cause of the trouble in the world. Most of the discord in the world is caused by prejudice, ignorance, and stupidity. Religion is merely a tool that is used to justify all these bad things.
Re: Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? by jerrymania(m): 8:57pm On Sep 22, 2007
Now to all atheist. all i ever want to know is if you guys believe in miracles. do you also deny the existence of miracles? or supernatural occurences? Lets start from there!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? / Pastor Chris: Love Without Limits / Testimonies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.