Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,106 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:37 AM

The Best Striker In The World - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Best Striker In The World (9212 Views)

Messi Not Listed Among Best Striker In Europe! Why? / Obafemi Martins: Most Efficient Striker In The Bundesliga / Best Striker In Europe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Striker In The World by jalether(m): 2:06pm On Apr 21, 2009
who is the best striker in the world this season based on technical and tactical ability

and ofcourse consistency, beware i said striker, no supporting striker or winger qualifies

as for me it has to be david villa, opinions guys
Re: The Best Striker In The World by chrisandy: 3:29pm On Apr 21, 2009
fernando torres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: The Best Striker In The World by jalether(m): 7:25pm On Apr 21, 2009
he has missed a lot of matches this season due to injury

that drops in a notch
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Nobody: 7:37pm On Apr 21, 2009
Can the mod merge this thread with the earlier one on thsi subject.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by bilms(m): 7:59pm On Apr 21, 2009
drogba
Re: The Best Striker In The World by jalether(m): 8:26pm On Apr 21, 2009
@ bilms drogba is simply not consistent enough, missed majority of d season through injury

and when he returned, he was playing **** under scolari , for a striker to be the best

he must be consistent
Re: The Best Striker In The World by khanye(m): 11:33am On May 31, 2009
@ poster

Eto'0 cool
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 4:09pm On May 31, 2009
I hate to say this  but Fernando Torres is a beast.  He gets my vote

Villa and Eto'o tied for second.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by bollingjoe(m): 6:11pm On May 31, 2009
I think its Eto
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 31, 2009
Anyone observe Eto'o has been the only recurring name in 'world's best striker' arguments since 2004?

In 2004-2006, it was who was the best striker in the world between Eto'o, Henry and Shevchenko?
In 2006 -2007, it was who was the best striker in the world between Eto'o, Drogba or Luca Toni?
And now, the argument is who's the best striker in the world: Eto'o, Villa or Torress?
Re: The Best Striker In The World by FBS: 7:58pm On May 31, 2009
DD or Eto'o. Both are fantastic.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by tocdee(m): 9:18pm On May 31, 2009
I feel a striker who has scored 50 goals in his first two seasons in a foreign league, while playing alone upfront and amidst so many injuries in the same period deserves that vote. Eto'o has players like Henry, messi and Iniesta laying balls at his feet so his job's a lot easier.
As Krayola put it, Torres is simply a beast especially when playing as a lone striker.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Nobody: 8:55am On Jun 01, 2009
tocdee:

I feel a striker who has scored 50 goals in his first two seasons in a foreign league, while playing alone upfront and amidst so many injuries in the same period deserves that vote. Eto'o has players like Henry, messi and Iniesta laying balls at his feet so his job's a lot easier.
As Krayola put it, Torres is simply a beast especially when playing as a lone striker.
No disrespect to Torres, and indeed, I'll have to throw a coin to determine who's better between him and Eto'o at the moment, but I disagree with boldened part.
Just as Henry, Messi, Iniesta are laying the balls to his feet, he does same for them too. Ever noticed Eto'o is hardly selfish? He has a significant number of assists too.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by yousouph(m): 9:14am On Jun 01, 2009
Eto'o 1st, Torres 2nd others follows
Re: The Best Striker In The World by RuuDie(m): 11:02am On Jun 01, 2009
i think its about time people started giving SAMUEL ETO'O some credit - i think he is the best striker in the world now. . . . . he's worked hard right from his Mallorca days and deserves to be put way up there with the very best!
Re: The Best Striker In The World by RuuDie(m): 11:06am On Jun 01, 2009
tocdee:

If you're looking for such a player - 1 who doesn't have much in terms of quality assistants around him - maybe you should be looking at the top scorer in the Bundesliga <the Wolfsburg fella> or Diego Forlan!
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 11:27am On Jun 01, 2009
Jarus:

No disrespect to Torres, and indeed, I'll have to throw a coin to determine who's better between him and Eto'o at the moment, but I disagree with boldened part.
Just as Henry, Messi, Iniesta are laying the balls to his feet, he does same for them too. Ever noticed Eto'o is hardly selfish? He has a significant number of assists too.

Not this season. Eto'o has about 3 assists the whole season. That is a fact. It was two assists when i stopped counting, and that was about three weeks ago. Feel free to look it up. Until later in the season he was pretty selfish. (I actually just looked up his stats and i am right. . .  he had one assist in the league and 2 in the CL) Previous seasons he had much more, but this season not at all. He was extremely selfish and sometimes you could see Henry and Messi's frustration with him.

I'm against using stats in comparing players. There are some things that stats do not tell you. It is like last season when people used stats to say CR7 was the world's best. I always insisted it was Messi. There are some things you know just from watching someone play regularly, and between Torres and Eto'o i have to say Torres is a better striker.

Eto'o is a predator. . .  If he gets the ball around the goal, he is taking a shot. He does not think twice about it, and he scores some insane goals. But at the same times he misses a trailer load of chances, and has to play off his teammates whom are always available because of the way our system is set up. He is hardly ever isolated up front. I'm a Barca fan so i'm biased towards Eto'o but i'll be plain lying if I said I thought Eto'o was better than Torres.

All you have to do is watch this Torres guy play. I used to think he was all hype. . . At atletico Madrid I insisted he was all demo and no substance, but it was just my bias shining through again. But watching him play at Liverpool week in week out, i just have to bow. The guy na Playa. .  as a football fan I just have to take my hat off to him. Top gun!! People will say it is because the EPL defenders are crap, but regardless, the guy is still top draw. .
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 11:35am On Jun 01, 2009
The Best Striker In The World?

DAVID VILLA!!!!

Villa >>>>>Eto'o >>>>Torres.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by MrCrackles(m): 12:49pm On Jun 01, 2009
Very close between ETO and TORRES but i will have to pick TORRES!

Phew, a very touch decision!
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 1:16pm On Jun 01, 2009
@ Sauron . . . Villa is up there (sad people don't watch Valencia because not a lot of people know how good he is). I want to see him @ Barca because I think he will  deliver more than Eto'o. He just has that extra class and composure that Eto'o lacks, and he is better technically. But Torres is physically stronger and can play in pretty much any system. he can play up front by himself, with a SS, whateva. . . the guy na jus gangsta!!
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 1:25pm On Jun 01, 2009
Krayola:

@ Sauron . . . Villa is up there (sad people don't watch Valencia because not a lot of people know how good he is). I want to see him @ Barca because I think he will  deliver more than Eto'o. He just has that extra class and composure that Eto'o lacks, and he is better technically. But Torres is physically stronger and can play in pretty much any system. he can play up front by himself, with a SS, whateva. . . the guy na jus gangsta!!

Only EPL fans rate Torres.
Ma mates in Spain think Villa is the most complete striker in the world who has delivered both for club and country.
Go check out his goal records for Spain and at Valencia and compare it to either Etoo, Torres or whoever.

30 goals in 40 appearances this season for a shitty club Valencia, 25 goals in 43 appearances for Spain.
No striker does it better consistently for club and country plus Villa doesn't score shit goals too.
He made Torres look like an apprentice in Euro 2008.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by khanye(m): 1:49pm On Jun 01, 2009
In his 200th official appearance for Barca at the Riazor on Saturday night, Samuel Eto’o, chalked up his 130th goal. It’s a remarkable record that puts him joint third in the all time club goalscoring list alongside Rivaldo.

This league campaign has also been Eto’o’s best as a goalscorer. In 2005/6 he was La Liga’s top scorer with 26 and this season he’s beaten that with 30 goals in 36 games, though it’s Diego Forlan who is the 08/09 “pichichi” with 32 strikes.

Total: 130 goals (200 games)

Fcbarcelona.com
Re: The Best Striker In The World by jalether(m): 2:45pm On Jun 01, 2009
I never in a million years thought i would be cosigning with sauron

You guys need to ask yourself why Torres and Etoo are popular candidate, plain

and simple cos they play for a big club ( you monitor or watch their performances)

week in week out, what abt other strikers such as david Villa, Diego forlan, Dzeko

who are just as ( if not more technical and clinical), how many guys on here watch valencia

Athletico madrid, Wolfsburg week in week out?

bottomline a striker that produces a superb performance in an average club is better than a striker

sorrounded by great players. food for thought
Re: The Best Striker In The World by jalether(m): 3:01pm On Jun 01, 2009
not to 4get mario gomez , every consistent in a shitty club
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 5:48pm On Jun 01, 2009
jalether:

and simple cos they play for a big club ( you monitor or watch their performances)]

Torres and Etoo are popular candidates to short-sighted football fans.

Villa's records speak for itself. He copped 28 league goals in 33 appearances which is better than Etoo's 30 goals in 36 appearances
30 goals in 40 appearances in a team that finished 6th in La Liga is better than Etoo's 36 goals in 52 appearances for Barcelona.
His goal ratio is better than his peers by a distance and he plays in a club weaker relatively to Etoo and Torres.

If you check his international goal records, he is fearsome.
25 goals in 43 appearances for Spain is better than what Etoo, Torres, Henry and any other striker has for his country.
Villa is the most clinical striker in Europe, he works hard and his goal sense is top draw.
In my own opinion, Villa = Torres + Rooney + Etoo.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 6:24pm On Jun 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

Torres and Etoo are popular candidates to short-sighted football fans.
Here you go again. Can't disagree without trying to ridicule the opposition. Your insecurities shining bright again?

~Sauron~:

Villa's records speak for itself. He copped 28 league goals in 33 appearances which is better than Etoo's 30 goals in 36 appearances

How is that better? they average pretty much the same. . . .84 (villa) to .83 a game (samu) .  .  . and Barcelona's attack isn't built around Eto'o, but around our entire trio. Villa has a whole team playing for him. . .

~Sauron~:

30 goals in 40 appearances in a team that finished 6th in La Liga is better than Etoo's 36 goals in 52 appearances for Barcelona.
His goal ratio is better than his peers by a distance and he plays in a club weaker relatively to Etoo and Torres.

Lmao. . .  you don't even watch Villa play for fukc's sake, and u are here blowing his horn based on 2nd hand info. . . Stats never tell the whole story,  shevchenko was bangin em in till he went to Chelsea. . . I agree with u though. . . I think Villa can score more that Eto'o if he comes to Barcelona.

Like I said, Eto'os team has three forwards and the responsibility is shared. . . check Henry and Messi's numbers. .  u can't just draw parallels between teams and players when it suits your argument. . . u have to consider all the other variables. And you actually have to watch the players in action week in week out.

~Sauron~:

If you check his international goal records, he is fearsome.

He plays for a well rounded team. . . not cameroon. U see, u say his Valencia is worse compared to Barca and Liverpool because that suits ur position. . . well he plays for spain, one of the most talented teams on the planet,  what the fukc do u expect?

~Sauron~:

Villa is the most clinical striker in Europe, he works hard and his goal sense is top draw.

I agree, thats why I want him at Barcelona. . . i'll prefer Torres though, but Liverpool will never let him go,  NEVER!!

~Sauron~:

In my own opinion, Villa = Torres + Rooney + Etoo.

haha,

Villa is a top player. . .its almost like u are arguing with urself because i doubt anybody disputes that.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by vicade(m): 6:31pm On Jun 01, 2009
Samuel Eto> David Villa.

Samuel Eto is the Best striker in the whole wide world.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 7:01pm On Jun 01, 2009
Krayola:

Here you go again. Can't disagree without trying to ridicule the opposition. Your insecurities shining bright again?

Don't mix 'insecurities' with 'self-confidence'.
Unlike many of y'all here, i know what i am saying.

How is that better? they average pretty much the same. . . .84 (villa) to .83 a game (samu) .  .  . and Barcelona's attack isn't built around Eto'o, but around our entire trio. Villa has a whole team playing for him. . .

How are they pretty much average if you lump their contribution for their respective club and country stats together.
Did you not see David Villa play for Spain in Euro 2008?
So Villa excels in Valencia because his team is built around him? Is the attack built around him in Spain too?
He is a better striker than Samuel Eto'o.

Lmao. . .  you don't even watch Villa play for fukc's sake, and u are here blowing his horn based on 2nd hand info. . . Stats never tell the whole story,  shevchenko was bangin em in till he went to Chelsea. . . I agree with u though. . . I think Villa can score more that Eto'o if he comes to Barcelona.

I don't watch Villa play?? U think everyone stays in a shit country like Canada?
Sauron stays in Europe!!! I saw 90% of Valencia's games this season.

Like I said, Eto'os team has three forwards and the responsibility is shared. . . check Henry and Messi's numbers. .  u can't just draw parallels between teams and players when it suits your argument. . . u have to consider all the other variables. And you actually have to watch the players in action week in week out.

How do you know i don't watch the players in action week in week out?
Ohhhh, i forgot. U rely on Setanta Sports to show these games for you and you have put everyone in your situation that once Setanta don't show these games for you, then others cannot see it as well.
U don't have a prayer.

He plays for a well rounded team. . . not cameroon. U see, u say his Valencia is worse compared to Barca and Liverpool because that suits ur position. . . well he plays for spain, one of the most talented teams on the planet,  what the fukc do u expect?

Cameroon is well rounded too(at least in Africa).
My point is David Villa delivers for Club and Country. He is the only striker in Europe that has been able to impose his brilliance in his club for his country. Only few European strikes have this attribute.
In that respect, he is better than Eto'o, Torres, Drogba and Forlan.

I agree, thats why I want him at Barcelona. . . i'll prefer Torres though, but Liverpool will never let him go,  NEVER!!

Torres cannot even play for Barcelona if he's offered £1 million per week.
He is from Madrid. They hate Catalonians.

Villa is a top player. . .its almost like u are arguing with urself because i doubt anybody disputes that.

I am not arguing with maself.
Sauron is putting it to you that Villa is the best striker in Europe.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 8:04pm On Jun 01, 2009
you saw 90% of Valencias games and you pretend he does not have quality players around him. David Silva? Mata? joaquin?  Vicente? If anything it is a fuckin disgrace they are in 6th place. Stop blaming Barcelona and Liverpool for Valencia's shortcomings.

How can you compare Cameoon with spain? fabregas, iniesta, xavi, Alonso, Silva ? are u on cheap drugs?

Like I said I believe Villa is up there with the best of them, but as usual u are making dumb ass arguments. I could make a batter case for Villa without quoting meaningless numbers that don't mean much when put into context.

And not everyone from Madrid hates Catalunya,  more evidence that ur knowledge is mostly superficial.  Real Madrid has fans in Barcelona (natives, born and raised), and Barcelona has fans in Madrid. Stop believing all that cultural hype. .  it just makes for good marketing,  it is just football, . . . the rivalry is between Barca and Real. and Atletico and Real. Barca and Espanyol . . Barca and Atletico Madrid have no beef
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 9:28pm On Jun 01, 2009
Krayola:

you saw 90% of Valencias games and you pretend he does not have quality players around him. David Silva? Mata? joaquin?  Vicente? If anything it is a fuckin disgrace they are in 6th place. Stop blaming Barcelona and Liverpool for Valencia's shortcomings.

They are facing administration.
It's a miracle they finished 6th in La Liga
David Silva, Mata, Joaquin, compared to Henry, Etoo, Messi, Xavi and Iniesta?
U must be high on grey pubic hair.

How can you compare Cameoon with spain? fabregas, iniesta, xavi, Alonso, Silva ? are u on cheap drugs?

Cameroun = Africa as Spain = Europe.

Like I said I believe Villa is up there with the best of them, but as usual u are making dumb ass arguments. I could make a batter case for Villa without quoting meaningless numbers that don't mean much when put into context.

U cannot make a better case than what i have said.
Etoo is a giant at Barcelona but he doesn't give the same performance for Country.
Villa is solid both in his club and in his country.

And not everyone from Madrid hates Catalunya,  more evidence that ur knowledge is mostly superficial.  Real Madrid has fans in Barcelona (natives, born and raised), and Barcelona has fans in Madrid. Stop believing all that cultural hype. .  it just makes for good marketing,  it is just football, . . . the rivalry is between Barca and Real. and Atletico and Real. Barca and Espanyol . . Barca and Atletico Madrid have no beef

You don't know what you are talking about if you dunno the political differences both sets of people have got.
Go and dust your historical acumen.
There was a time in Spain football fans can be arrested in Madrid for wearing Barcelona football shirt.
Try and read about General Franco's reign in Spain before spewing applesauce.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by tocdee(m): 9:55pm On Jun 01, 2009
jalether:

and simple cos they play for a big club ( you monitor or watch their performances)

week in week out, what abt other strikers such as david Villa, Diego forlan, Dzeko

who are just as ( if not more technical and clinical), how many guys on here watch valencia

Athletico madrid, Wolfsburg week in week out?

[b]bottomline a striker that produces a superb performance in an average club is better than a striker

sorrounded by great players. food for thought
[/b]

You've got it all wrong there mate. Playing at a big club is always more difficult for any striker with increased pressure. You mentioned players like Forlan, etc. He was superb, went to Utd, appeared poor, left and immediately turned superb again! Coincidence? i think not. Same thing happened to Robbie keane.

The cream always rises to the top and the greatest strikers shine in the biggest games; That's why Drogba (FA cup), Eto (Champions League final), Torres (Euro finals) peform brilliantly even with millions of people watching.

Value-wise (monetary)-----Torres>>>Villa>>>Eto
Re: The Best Striker In The World by tocdee(m): 10:00pm On Jun 01, 2009
:p

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FIFA Women's World Cup Starts Today. / Eagles Slip In FIFA Ranking / Jay Jay Okocha For 2010 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.