Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence (1439 Views)

Afenifere Claims Nigeria Is Failing The Yoruba Nation / Editorial:the National Question In Nigeria / Fear Of Militants’ Resurgence In Niger Delta - Sun Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by ooduapathfinder: 9:21am On Oct 04, 2015
www.ooduapathfinder.com
By adminadmin on October 4, 2015

Considering the deliberate divisiveness that characterized Goodluck Jonathan’s re-election campaign, with its deliberate anti-north agenda, current happenings in Yorubaland would point to making our land the ground zero for its resurgence. Jonathan’s Yoruba foot soldiers were and are in the forefront of promoting the notion that any anti-corruption of this Change regime must encompass previous administrations, at least since the return to civilian rule in 1999; they are now trying to create a “Yoruba Ethnic consciousness” by making Fulani herdsmen the scapegoat of recent kidnappings without questioning the post-colonial State and now making the point that Goodluck Jonathan was “punished” for trying to “liberate” Nigeria as if Nigerians do not know what is good for them and as far as the Yoruba are concerned, reminiscent of the Biafran invasion of Lagos under the pretext of “liberating” the West from the North while retaining all political and of course, economic decisions in Enugu; now exposing the fundamental disrespect of Yoruba people by and from those who claim to love us more than ourselves.
While Biafra forced Victor Banjo to lead in the “liberating” effort, the same cannot be said of today’s enablers, who consciously embarked on their quest as a matter of political choice. This is exemplified by Sir Olaniwun Ajayi’s attempt at dressing Afenifere in superior robes by blaming others for the fate that befell Afenifere while standing history on its head, and by so doing dug Afenifere into a deeper hole for it revealed the certainty of the impossibility of the organization from ever actualizing its previous role as the “unilateral voice” of the Yoruba. Sir Ajayi might have been one of the early members of the AG hence would be expected to have information and facts at his beck and call but his recent interview shows that having facts is not enough, it is more important to know to which use such facts will be put; for it can be used for negative or positive purposes.
What Sir Ajayi did was to use it for negative purposes by placing the circumstances of Afenifere’s descent into infamy on the doorsteps of persons like Bola Tinubu, Segun Osoba and Chief Bisi Akande, among others and tying these up with on-going issues within the APC on party supremacy using the Saraki shenanigans in the Senate as a backdrop, saying such would never have happened under the AG while giving some examples of how certain persons surrendered themselves to party supremacy on account of their being asked to shelve their electoral and appointive aspirations. Sir Ajayi failed to remember the three very vital instances that later proved fatal, not only for the AG but also for Yorubaland, two in the first republic and the other during Obasanjo’s period as President which became the defining moments for us.
At the onset of formal independence, an attempt by the AG to go into an alliance with the NCNC was aborted partially because of Akintola’s shenanigans with the NPC, which, together with NCNC’s own unnecessary reservations led to the collapse of the effort. This was followed by what he did in the AG in the run up to the 1962 Jos Convention, where he employed all sorts of mechanisms to try to rubbish the party Convention and refused all entreaties for a sort of ceasefire all ending up with a decisive split in the Party; whereupon he began to rubbish the ideas being propagated by the AG while setting up his own platform. “ooduapathfinder”[b][/b] thus wonders where and how Sir Ajayi would come to the conclusion that what Saraki is doing would never have occurred under the AG? In these times, while Sir Ajayi was blaming Tinubu et al, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, also a long time Afenifere leader, publicly stated that Afenifere and by implication, the AD, in 2003, agreed to support Obasanjo’s second term because he(Obasanjo) promised them to restructure if voted back into power; hence AD was unable to file any presidential candidate at the time. The same vehemence unleashed against the AG by that first republic coalition, then enabled by the Akintola faction, is similar to those unleashed by the Obasanjo administration, now aided and abetted by Afenifere, on the sole opposition AD governor of Lagos, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, who became the lone voice against Afenifere’s political suicide thus saving the Yoruba Nation from political extinction; just as the pan-Nigerian crisis enabled the Yoruba Nation to recover itself in the first republic.
These three instances, combined, would show a lack of strategic thinking on the part of its purveyors with the actions directly leading to serious consequences for not only the Yoruba Nation but also to her political expression.
In whitewashing Afenifere, Sir Ajayi failed to mention the role played by a section of its “younger” elements, whose roles assisted in neutralizing the organization as a responsible political construct. These “younger” elements fall into two categories: those who saw the rot coming and those who cared less for any reflection on the organization’s future, preferring to latch on to the name as an end in itself. The first category comprise those who have now coalesced into the Afenifere Renewal Group and sundry formations, who, understanding the necessity for a change of course, embarked on very serious critique, openly and secretly, in order to effect those necessary changes but which were rebuffed by the organization’s leadership. Arguably the most famous victim of these types of engagement was the unceremonious sacking of its General Secretary in the person of Ayo Opadokun, a strategic blunder based on a wrong reading of the then emerging political situation in Kwara State; which, if handled correctly as canvassed by the change-agents of the time, would have made the Saraki political perfidy in Kwara State, history.
The latter group comprise those who asked for, and obtained, a change in Afenifere to become an all-comers’ organization, with the clamor in support of those in the PDP at the time having as much right as anyone to be in Afenifere. Members of this group eventually became Governors, aspiring governors, ministers etc under the PDP regimes of Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan with Afenifere’s backing and some of them are still in the organization today, playing leadership roles and anchoring this Jonathan resurgence.
From these, what the Yoruba Nation has to avoid is certain in order not to fall into the same pit all over again. The main issue being that pretenders to a Yoruba cause always end up in alignment with hostile forces in the Center, which, but for providence, would have meant Yorubaland becoming history. The duty of the present, among the young and the old, lie in this recognition and ensuring that such forces are neutralized in Yorubaland.
It will not be a contradiction to the above to say that, for the first time, Yorubaland has become a major player in the Central politics because the same historical forces that have tried, since independence, to prevent the neutralization of the land was able to defeat the hostile central forces, ensuring that the dangers to the land is minimized with the necessity for maximization through the permanent neutralization of these anti-Yoruba forces in Yoruba garb.
Thus, when it is being said that a way for unity must be found in Yorubaland, questions are bound to arise as to whether such should be an end in itself. Unity between those who have spent their political capital trying to render Yorubaland useless, without remorse and those who have consistently retained our political right of existence such that a unity that fails to address the issues of our present and future, ab initio, is a call to surrender.
Previous forms of “unity” in Yorubaland were not outside the context of the relative strengths of the political divide and this appears to be the first time that we will be in a position to permanently defeat these dark forces in the land.
“Unity” was found at the 1967 Ibadan Unity meeting only because the anti-AG alliance came to a recognition of its own limitations and infractions and accepted Awo and therefore AG’s leadership. Subsequent attempts at presenting a united front ended with affronts to the Yoruba Nation with the latest being their advocacy for the Jonathan conference recommendations which were/are at complete variance with any Yoruba quest.
None of the attempts were able to articulate a political roadmap for the Yoruba Nation; and this time, they are at home with the Jonathan/PDP (mis)administration. “ooduapathfinder” says what is needed now is a political roadmap anchored on the present political configuration of APC dominance where it will be able to navigate its way through the Nigerian political maze. Anything outside of this will only circumscribe Yorubaland.
Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by deadZONE: 9:23am On Oct 04, 2015
sad
Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by fromnigeria(m): 9:29am On Oct 04, 2015
Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by zizazizu: 9:29am On Oct 04, 2015
The narrowness of your thoughts

1 Like

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by SegunAdewole: 10:01am On Oct 04, 2015
ooduapathfinder:

www.ooduapathfinder.com
By adminadmin on October 4, 2015

Considering the deliberate divisiveness that characterized Goodluck Jonathan’s re-election campaign, with its deliberate anti-north agenda, current happenings in Yorubaland would point to making our land the ground zero for its resurgence. Jonathan’s Yoruba foot soldiers were and are in the forefront of promoting the notion that any anti-corruption of this Change regime must encompass previous administrations, at least since the return to civilian rule in 1999;[size=30pt] they are now trying to create a “Yoruba Ethnic consciousness” by making Fulani herdsmen the scapegoat of recent kidnappings without questioning the post-colonial State and now making the point that Goodluck Jonathan was “punished” for trying to “liberate” Nigeria...[/size]
^^^I stopped reading here.

The problem we have in Yorubaland is our muslim yoruba brothers who are tied to fulani apron strings amongst us, they are the ones who will sell us for cowries. Truth be told we are more divided than Igbos.

Cc zimoni, shym3xx, mayoroflagos, aresa, passingshot

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by simplycarro: 10:06am On Oct 04, 2015
SegunAdewole:

The problem we have in Yorubaland is our muslim yoruba brothers who are tied to fulani apron strings amongst us, they are the ones who will sell us for cowries. Truth be told we are more divided than Igbos.

Goat, a stuvpid Biafran hiding under a Yoruba name.
Ofo l'oma shey.

2 Likes

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by truefact: 10:35am On Oct 04, 2015
simplycarro:

Goat, a stuvpid Biafran hiding under a Yoruba name.
Ofo l'oma shey.
You hate to hear the truth. ..you will forever remain a slave to Hausa-Fulani. ..bet.me

3 Likes

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by abe4kom: 10:35am On Oct 04, 2015
SegunAdewole:

You try sef.
That dude is deluded.
So when fulani herdsmen commit crimes everybody should keep quiet so as not to offend the fulani or demonise them?

These are the types that sell their brothers just to please their masters.

4 Likes

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:44am On Oct 04, 2015
So Jonathanians are to be blamed because prominent Yoruba elders spoke against the fulani herdsmen attack on Yorubas?

7 Likes

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by Akanbiedu(m): 10:46am On Oct 04, 2015
SegunAdewole:

So.........How did you know the writer was a muslim?

2 Likes

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by simplycarro: 10:47am On Oct 04, 2015
truefact:

You hate to hear the truth. ..you will forever remain a slave to Hausa-Fulani. ..bet.me
Do you know the definition of truth?. Biafran-Child of hate.

2 Likes

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by lincolnj88: 10:48am On Oct 04, 2015
yorubas are d problem of nigeria...sanusi

1 Like

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by zimoni(f): 11:25am On Oct 04, 2015
SegunAdewole:

Those guys don tire me walahi. Some of our Yoruba people need to take their mouth off Abokee/Fulani's arsze.

O ti sun mi, I'm short of words.

However, I know you are Igbo. Happy Sunday.

I refused to go to church today, I'm full of anger and hate due to what Fulani Herdsmen From Hell (aka Tse Tse Flies aka Leeches and Parasites aka Rapists and Destroyers of Farmlands) are doing to my Yoruba people in Oyo and Ogun States especially. My prayers will not be answered because I'm full of hate right now. I slept 2am and woke up 6am. I'm angry. Inu n bimi bajebaje. Ilaro Treatment is what we need to give to them right now.

3 Likes

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by zimoni(f): 11:33am On Oct 04, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
So Jonathanians are to be blamed because prominent Yoruba elders spoke against the fulani herdsmen attack on Yorubas?

Forget those people.

Fulani Herdsmen From Hell are attacking our people on their ancestral land and those Muntullas are blaming Jonathananians.

Everything is all about politics to them, they are only after the crumbs they are getting from their Abokee Masters in the North while Tse Tse Flies are killing our people in Oyo and Ogun States.

Forget them, they are SABOTEURS.

3 Likes

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by ibedun: 11:35am On Oct 04, 2015
SegunAdewole:

Omo Ibo, when are you going back to Biafra?

1 Like

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by BALLOSKI: 11:37am On Oct 04, 2015
I love this.

SW is blessed with intelligent people ; they won't just fall for the antics of 'herdsmen are kidnapping' our people.

As if those whose region is symptomatic and , represents anything kidnapping have the herdsmen to blame for incessant kidnapping that has characterized their region over time.

1 Like

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:47am On Oct 04, 2015
I just tire for some people matter o
zimoni:

Forget those people.

Fulani Herdsmen From Hell are attacking our people on their ancestral land and those Muntullas are blaming Jonathananians.

Everything is all about politics to them, they are only after the crumbs they are getting from their Abokee Masters in the North while Tse Tse Flies are killing our people in Oyo and Ogun States.

Forget them, they are SABOTEURS.
Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by AndroBlaze: 12:15pm On Oct 04, 2015
SegunAdewole:

Is pastor Kumuyi now a "muslim Yoruba" for forseeing that change was coming before the election and God would surprise us? Or is it the other serious churches led by serious MOGs from the SW who still openly celebrate the change and seriousness we have in the air that are "fulani muslims?
"

The politics of the SWest is actually simple and reflects the politics of Nigeria. From pre-independence till now there have always been 2 camps across all Nigerian geo political regions- the Elites and the Masses.

Despite the Elite clearly being the more inferior in numbers, they have and still remain the most powerful camp in Nigeria because of their ability to dictate, control and confuse the majority, the Masses. I could go on for a while on this but I won't because I'm not in the mood to write an epistle.

The truth is that unlike other regions in the country, the Elite group have struggled to control the Masses in the SWest post-independence because of the failure of AG and NCNC to work together after the 1st elections and the betrayal of Akintola subsequently. Awolowo (an Elite by the time he came to prominence like all other national leaders in Nigeria) successfully convinced the Masses that he cared about what they cared about. He convinced them that he would fight for what they wanted and thus he became the leader of the Masses- whether Yoruba Christian or Muslim. Despite Akintola having stronger ties to the muslim North and even the more dominant Oyo political group, he was seen as the leader of the Elitist camp in the SW because he courted power blocs and was passionate about issues that didn't bother the common man in the Swest. An example was his strong Igbophobia based on "his fact" that Igbos were taking "all the jobs" in the Civil service and our Educational institutions. Now tell me, was the typical Yorubaman ( mostly farmers at that time) going to give himself a headache on that or care more about the falling prices of cocoa and agricultural produce? This is where the Southwest started differing from other regions in the country because these same tactics were used successfully by Elities like the Sardauna and later Ojukwu to enshrine themselves in the heart of the Masses in their regions.

The point I am trying to make to you is this, the poltics of the SouthWest will always be governed about issues the Masses and not the Elite care about. When AD came in they told us they were Awosit and how did they show it to us? Did they fight or speak strongly against corruption? No. Did they put pressure on Obasanjo to sort out the light situation? No. Did they put up any strong projects to fix our transportation woes? No. Ask the same questions about Jonathan after most Swestners supported him the first time and you will understand how he destroyed himself here.

In fact Swest politics is actually simple and not about religion (note Kwara is not input here)- here more than anywhere else in Nigeria, the voice of the people is the voice of God. Look how APC has made a U-turn in most of Fashola's elitist policies in Lagos State after they almost lost this last gubernatorial elections. Some of those policies are really solid and could take us to the next level, but once they were painted anti-people and elitist, I knew they would not survive.

So for now, Boko Haram and Fulani cattle rearers who graze on rich men farms do not bother us in the Southwest. It is the improvement in Light we are seeing, Deizani finally possibly going to jail and Jakande's dream of alternative mass transport in Lagos almost being fulfilled. Buhari and to some extent APC, have shown they are still listening to us and that is all we care about.
Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by neocortex: 12:16pm On Oct 04, 2015
This writeup is hogwash.
It is not a crime to complain when you are being harassed and kidnapped
within your own country, in fact it is a right.
This writer also misinterpreted Yoruba's goal to mean having influence
at the center.But we all know that is false because a man who is blessed cannot
be compared with the blessing giver.
Decentralization is the answer not sharing national portfolios.

2 Likes

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 04, 2015
I just dey pass grin.
Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by DMerciful(m): 1:55pm On Oct 04, 2015
This kind of allegiance shown by Yorubas to the Fulanis is staggering. I have only seen this relationship between Israel and USA but in this case USA sees Israel as equal if not special!
Imagine saying its better for the TseTse flies to keep killing ur kinsmen than for Diezani to walk free when she has not been convicted undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by DMerciful(m): 1:57pm On Oct 04, 2015
God bless you.....you nailed it.
neocortex:
This writeup is hogwash.
It is not a crime to complain when you are being harassed and kidnapped
within your own country, in fact it is a right.
This writer also misinterpreted Yoruba's goal to mean having influence
at the center.But we all know that is false because a man who is blessed cannot
be compared with the blessing giver.
Decentralization is the answer not sharing national portfolios.

1 Like

Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by SegunAdewole: 11:37am On Oct 18, 2015
ibedun:

Omo Ibo, when are you going back to Biafra?
I am an Odua from osun state. My people want an emir in osun. Who are you?
Re: Editorial: The Yoruba Nation And Jonathanian Resurgence by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 18, 2015
Watch Boko Haram slaughtering Nigerian Soldiers and showing off their deadly weapons.

http://www.bestgore.com/murder/boko-haram-behead-nigerian-soldier-borno-nigeria/

See an interview granted by the main sponsor of Boko Haram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3md94JAFyM

Is it sad that the Yoruba people are trying hard to suppress this terrible evil because your terrorist president is a supporter of Boko Haram. They will try to sensor news like these but spread this news. Let the whole world know that the paedophile and terrorist is in power.

The evil you muslims created will live with you forever. You yorubas are spreading false news about the East and you are suppressing the evil committed by your slave masters. The video is below and the whole world now knows that your president is a terrorist and paedophile.

(1) (Reply)

Why Only Ogun State? Just A thought / Make Nigeria Progress Make I See / Unemployed Nigerians Awaits Your N5,000 Payment, Ekweremadu Tells Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.