Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,336 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! (23411 Views)

80k Job In Sokoto Or Relocate To Abuja To Hustle Please Advice. / 7 Ways To Make Money Online Without Being Scammed… / I Think I've Been Scammed.. Please What Can I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Sylver247: 9:29am On Oct 05, 2015
Fellow Nairalanders, I am the op of the thread on "How have you been surviving without a job?"
I have a friend who works with Shell, hes actually a childhood friend we grew up together. We have been apart for long cos he works in Warri while I reside in Lagos.
Recently we hooked up again via Facebook and we got talking on phone about life and all. Told him my jobless situation and he got very concerned about my plight. He promised to do something about it cos I was very open with him, didn't hide or form. He requested for my CV which I quickly edited, refined and wired to his email. He said he would submit it to some senior people in Shell.

About a month later he called me and told me something has come up. That there is 6 a year contract job that will be coming up in October and that I need to acquire a particular training (HUET) without which I can't work in the upstream. He said its normally free but the man in charge of recruiting people said since am just a referral, I have to pay for the training. He said the training is 65k which I confirmed and its true.

Now he promised to pay part of the training fee (40k) for me and said I should take care of the remainder.
I trust this guy (he is my very good friend from same community) but you know people can change suddenly.

I just need advice from people who know about this kind of stuff, if its possible or not. Its small money (25k) but I wouldn't want to be scammed off the little money am surviving with as am currently managing myself. I don't even have the money now but I can run round and get it.
He told me they are waiting for Buhari to announce his cabinet before the project starts and that he will call me.

Please advice me should I give it a shot?

davide470 uboma lalasticlala
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 05, 2015

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by kossyablaze(m): 9:33am On Oct 05, 2015
Yes!O boy run for ur sweet life!

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by eleko1: 9:33am On Oct 05, 2015
That 65k nor bi all dey'll ask U,wait for the real action.U shud have tell ur friend to help U pay all/that U'll show ur appreciation both in kind/cash wen d coy employ U.Wetin concern BuHARI minister name with dis? Omo,shine yo eyes.That 40k is a decoy.Wish U well/try yo luck

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 05, 2015
Let me ask google

Google not working
I will be back

Let me ask Amadioha

15 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 05, 2015
Best option is for You to go see things for Yourself b4 sending any money.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Simitrendy: 11:00am On Oct 05, 2015
[b] My brother I beg u In Christ name pls don't pay it oh!

Now this ish happened to a bro of mine who is looking for work too in this Labour Market

My aunt now met some1 on FB a man actually who knew him to my aunt

That's how they started chatting and he asked of him from my aunt and what he's doing for living, my aunt said he has no job for now

He said he's working in Ministry of Finance at Abuja he said they her recruiting and employing graduates

He promised to help him my bro, the next day he eventually called and said he has paid 15K for the application form

That he should just bring 50K to settle some Oga at the top we were like!

We said he shld send his a/c noba he gave us another name

My family in Abuja said he shld send his a/c noba he gave him another name

but we were doubting him cos he gave the correct address of d place tho so my family said he can't be a cheat!

To cut the story short he's a cheat that's how he do..He has done it to couple of people we know sha

If u want to pay go.and see what u wanna do pls!

[/b]

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by osazeeblue01: 11:00am On Oct 05, 2015
419 everywhere even FG.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Nobody: 11:00am On Oct 05, 2015
The easiest people to scam in nigeria today are job seekers

29 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Spikkylee: 11:00am On Oct 05, 2015
G
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by damton(m): 11:00am On Oct 05, 2015
I can perceive fraud here. be careful bro.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by braine(m): 11:00am On Oct 05, 2015
Yes.. thats probably how your friend survives: Scamming people. lipsrsealed

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:01am On Oct 05, 2015
Why exposing yourself to scam looking for underpaid job and not creating your own job

check my articles to see how you can earn huge money starting your plantain farm

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by passionate88: 11:01am On Oct 05, 2015
brb
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by OrIandoOwoh(m): 11:02am On Oct 05, 2015
Take the money from the south and take it to the north..b00hari

Make sure you take the money from the south and take it to the north... b00hari

Keep making sure the above is done..b00hari

Just keep making sure...b00hari
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Seanixking: 11:02am On Oct 05, 2015
Follow Your Heart And Take It To God In Prayer. .

3 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by AdemolaA2: 11:02am On Oct 05, 2015
Well, to be frank with you my friend. You're about to be swindled of your money. Be wise and ask him to help you pay up everything since he's aware of your cashless condition.anyone that can help u with 40k shouldn't have any problem topping the amount with another 20k. Be wise!!!

24 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by oluseyiforjesus(m): 11:02am On Oct 05, 2015
If he real want to help 65k is a small money to him na, since he's working in shell, he shld pay 4 u wen u get d Job u can even pay back in 10 fold..........
My mind told me he's fraud, but everything in life is RISK

6 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by okedoyinolabisi(f): 11:02am On Oct 05, 2015
if he truly works in shell, I don't thk dat amount will make any meaning to him that much but verify thgs for yourself o

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by chidamysy: 11:02am On Oct 05, 2015
AdemolaA2:
A
OrIandoOwoh:
j
Spikkylee:
G
Una no dey tire undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by lampardizik(m): 11:03am On Oct 05, 2015
Don't give them any money

I'll modify after I read your story
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Bcole: 11:03am On Oct 05, 2015
Bros if you cant trust him then don't call him your friend, doesn't seem like a scam to me, if he wanted to scam you he would have asked you to pay all of it or offered to pay a lesser amount..give it a trial...

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by emmanuel596(m): 11:03am On Oct 05, 2015
Some 1 wants to help u with 40k and because of ur small 25k balance u brought a useless thread all the way from your community to nl u must be very ungrateful

I don't blame u tho I blame the mods that made this rubbish hit fp

In life if u don't take risk u will never be successful please be wise about doing things what if your friend comes to nl to see this trash about u not trusting him??

As I said before I blame the mods not u

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by PreacherxSon(m): 11:03am On Oct 05, 2015
S
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by maxiuc(m): 11:03am On Oct 05, 2015
If they scammed you scam them back that's all I can say , really don't why some people falls for this Job scammers as for me I am thomas of the highest order if I don't see with my eyes I don't belief you no matter how related you are to me

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Abdujapha(m): 11:03am On Oct 05, 2015
@emboldened @PMB directed that all recently awarded contracts in the oil and gas industry be put on hold for proper verification. So probably there's a connection.

Bro, pray about it and let the Holy Spirit lead you. wink

eleko1:
That 65k nor bi all dey'll ask U,wait for the real action.U shud have tell ur friend to help U pay all/that U'll show ur appreciation both in kind/cash wen d coy employ U.Wet[b]in concern BuHARI minister name with dis?[/b] Omo,shine yo eyes.That 40k is a decoy.Wish U well/try yo luck

4 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by winetapper: 11:03am On Oct 05, 2015
Maybe he just wants to help angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by stag: 11:04am On Oct 05, 2015
If you have any reason(s) whatsoever to suspect you are being scammed, then by all means, be careful.

Who connected to the other on facebook? I mean was he the one who sent the friend request? Ask some questions only that friend of yours could have known. Scammers sometimes pose as long lost friends, colleague or even family.

And you should remember that the easiest way to be a prey is to appear desperate.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by freshness2020: 11:05am On Oct 05, 2015
its a scam..
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Pascal181: 11:05am On Oct 05, 2015
My broda,all I can say 25k is a risk worth taking. If I were u,I will gullibly look 4 d money n pay since u re sure ur frnd is truly working there.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Dannyset(m): 11:05am On Oct 05, 2015
What you should research on now is if he truly works with Shell(not as gateman or cleaner oo). If he does and you know him well, then give it a shot. 25k is too much to lose for an unemployed youth that the Mum is trying for.

8 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by hyfr(m): 11:06am On Oct 05, 2015
Op I'd advice you drop your friends number.(Just like one guy asked for another persons aunts number). On the matter arising, Op 25k is a risk worth taking, you use money to get money, get your facts right, investigate about the HEUT stuff. If it were me I'll just act like a fool just to get what I want.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is Studying Physics Actually A Useless Course In Nigeria? / Workforce Online Test, Share Your Experience / Why Do Employers Do This. What Happened To Me With A Principal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.