Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,466 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) (28333 Views)

Senators Vote YES for Immunity for NASS members / The Qualifications For Contesting For Senate & House Of Representatives / NASS Planning Immunity Laws For Senate President, Speaker, CJN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by Burger01(m): 6:40pm On Oct 05, 2015
Pucaxo:
For once, i support barcanista on this.
Saraki MUST be tried and if found guilty, he will be made to face the full wrath of the law.

This Saraki guy is just too dubious for my liking. undecided
...he is a big thiefundecided
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 05, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

In the USA for instance, no Governor or Lt Governor(Deputy) enjoy protection from criminal or civil prosecution. But our constitution give the Governors immunity from criminal prosecution. The NASS want to add their own. I laugh!
The US president's immunity is also limited to his official actions as president. For eg, he/she can't be sued for the deaths of American soldiers in the battlefield.
However, any other personal indiscretion isn't covered by immunity. A president who orders his/her subordinates to embezzle public money, will be investigated and possibly indicted and prosecuted (or impeached/removed from office by the US Senate).
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by bloodkiIler: 6:41pm On Oct 05, 2015
MrEmeritus1:

Mba Micheal, You are the shameless b.astard
Ikpu nne i
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by webshopng1(m): 6:44pm On Oct 05, 2015
tru

Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by bloodkiIler: 6:44pm On Oct 05, 2015
MrEmeritus1:

Mba Micheal, The famous rapist in Onitsha.

Ikpu nne i ebea
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by dialfa: 6:46pm On Oct 05, 2015
PDPwayoo:

THIS MUST BE AN IGBO MAN. THEY WORSHIP MONEY AND POWER A LOT.

Guatemalan president and his vice immunity was stripped and both arrested for corruption charges. New election is to take place immediately.

We are not a banana republic
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by onismate: 6:46pm On Oct 05, 2015
Dead on arrival! Infact it's already dead and non existent before it was conceived on their minds. Infact Buhari won't even attest to the bill. Bubu is smiling at saraki as he Prepares the law

1 Like

Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by Yinka1808: 6:47pm On Oct 05, 2015
This is not good for us, it's purely in their own interest
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by austelright(m): 6:49pm On Oct 05, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Often times I wonder the kind of people that dominates our political space. I read in amazement the proposed move by members of the National Assembly to amend the 1999 Constitution(as amended) so as to grant immunity powers to the President of the Senate and the Deputy, the Speaker of the House of Representative and the Deputy, and also the Chief Justice of the Federation. Their argument was simply because the Head and Deputy Head of the Executive arm of government at both the Federal and State levels enjoys such privilege. Let's look at the constitutional provision

The Constitutional Provision:
For any amendment of the Constitution to be valid, Section 9 must be fulfilled upon which the president shall grant his ascent(or veto). According to sections 9(1) and (2) of the Constitution...

9(1) The National Assembly may, subject to the provision of this section, alter any of the provisions of this Constitution.

9(2) An Act of the National Assembly for the altertion of this Constitution, not being an Act to which section 8 of this Constitution applies, shall not be passed in either House of the National Assembly unless the proposal is supported by the votes of not less than two-thirds majority of all the members of that House and approved by resolution of the Houses of Assembly of not less than two-thirds of all the States.

Going by the emboldened, we can SAFELY say that irrespective of the overwhelming support the proposal may have in the NASS, it is still subject to the approval of two-thirds of all 36 States Houses of Assembly. Will the States support the amendment? How long will that take (considering that each States Houses of Assembly may conduct public hearing and seek the views of stakeholders/constituents before arriving at a decision)?

Is The Proposed Immunity Pro-Nigeria or Pro-Corruption?
It is very unfortunate that our federal legislators in their bid to protect some of their own from facing corruption and criminal offences seek to tow this inglorious path. This is even coming at a time when the call for the removal of immunity clause from Vice President, Governors and Deputy Governors is very high. What kind of immunity does the leaders of the parliament need when parliamentarians already enjoy legislative immunity(that is they won't be arrested/prosecuted for whatever they do on the floor of the parliament)? This move is at best anti-Nigeria and pro-corruption. Beside, it is alien to any democracy that parliamentary leaders enjoy immunity from arrest and prosecution. It is unheard of even in the USA that our democracy is modelled from.

It is unfortunate that our parliamentarians have taken such futile exercise as matter of importance instead of legislating on issues that affects the common man. Finally, I wish to assure members of the NASS that their proposed effort to grant their leaders such privilege is futile, unpatriotic and shall be resisted. We are waiting...

For the very first time i agree with you. Wish you can be objective like this all the time.

May God Bless Us All
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by j4sure(m): 6:50pm On Oct 05, 2015
yea
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by montezz(f): 6:54pm On Oct 05, 2015
chukwudi44:

Well said!! We cannot continue to condone the intimdation of the other arms of government by the executive!! What is good for the goose is also good for the gander!! It is either the immunity law is made to go round or it would be scrapped altogether!!!
Bro.chukwudi,i agree totally wt u on dis. *chop knuckle*
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by ibedun: 6:54pm On Oct 05, 2015
dialfa:

We are not a banana republic

See this mumu. Nigeria is an advanced banana republic.!!!
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by SweetSoup(m): 7:11pm On Oct 05, 2015
You have written well TonyeBarcanista.
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by destinysaid(m): 7:16pm On Oct 05, 2015
Dannyset:

Don't worry, dis will get to FP around evening or midnight, when it must have gotten to about 7 pages. But be fast also cos it will surely get to the promise land.
wizard of d first order shocked hw did u know? already on FP at evening time
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by dessy249(m): 7:16pm On Oct 05, 2015
They can't be prosecute then because they re under the umbrella of corruption
Olamitisoji:
Immunity ko Mumunity ni. Where is that done? Only in Nigeria will you see senators anticipate a bill that will favour them and bills that will favour the citizens will take decades. As Barcanista as said it is DOA. you are kinda correct.
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by mbulela: 7:19pm On Oct 05, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Often times I wonder the kind of people that dominates our political space. l
You often wonder?
I wonder all the time how how polity has an inherent ability of promoting thugs, brain-dead fellows, charlatans and outright babarains.
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 7:19pm On Oct 05, 2015
egift:
The immunity proposal is spearheaded by "PDP Senator = Pro Saraki Group". I laugh at the Wailers grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Saraki should go and clear his name and stop this useless children games of hide and seek.
You no dey tire,the funny thing is that Apc leaders don't knw you exist,hailing hailers!
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by Passingshit(m): 7:26pm On Oct 05, 2015
PassingShot:
This double faced OP again!

I remember you drummed support for Saraki to be senate president despite his known antecedents just to spite APC. People like you shouldn't be taken seriously for your double stand on national issues.

The reason you are aginst Saraki now is the faint hope that a PDP senator might clinch the presidency should Saraki be removed. For you and your likes, it's not for the love of the nation but for your stomach.

Thanks for the preaching anyway. We already know Saraki and his colleagues are joking with the immunity idea. It won't fly.
Why dis my elder brother too dey lie like this? All you do is castigate without any reason. Barca has never been a supporter of Saraki from day one. He only predicted that Saraki would win the seat of senate president - which later happened. The win spoiled the show for Tinubu and Buhari, hence they're all asking for his head today
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by Passingshit(m): 7:28pm On Oct 05, 2015
chukwudi44:

Lolz!! The same people pushing for Saraki's iresignation gave a gubernatorial ticket to Sylva and Audu who are both more grievious corruption charges!! Even certified looters like Fashola and Amaechi have had their names forwarded to the senate to be made ministers!! On what basis then is anyone asking Saraki to resign
This is why I wish Saraki should remain there despite the pressures. Cc TonyeBarcanista

1 Like

Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:31pm On Oct 05, 2015
CFCfan:

The US president's immunity is also limited to his official actions as president. For eg, he/she can't be sued for the deaths of American soldiers in the battlefield.
However, any other personal indiscretion isn't covered by immunity. A president who orders his/her subordinates to embezzle public money, will be investigated and possibly indicted and prosecuted (or impeached/removed from office by the US Senate).
You can sue a Nigerian President on civil suit! In fact, all you said applies to Nigeria. A President can be investigatied and indicted! But it takes impeachment/resignation to impeach him.
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:34pm On Oct 05, 2015
Passingshit:

This is why I wish Saraki should remain there despite the pressures. Cc TonyeBarcanista
I am waiting for the list to be made public by the Senate. But Saraki needs to go face his own crime
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by agabusta: 7:43pm On Oct 05, 2015
chukwudi44:
The bill to confer immunity on the leadership of the NASS and the CJN is not an amendment as there currently exists no such immunity to be amended!! A fresh bill will be introduced to confer immunity on the leadership of the other two arms of government that is currently been enjoyed by the executive arms alone!!

It is either the immunity law is scrapped altogether or it is made to go round the other arms of government as well!! We cannot allow the legislature to become a rubber stamp of the executive through mindless harrassments and intimdation!!An independent legislature is the bedrock of any functional democracy!!! A rubber stamp legislature breeds dictatorship and messes up the whole democratic process of checks and balances.

The constitution is superior to any other law. In as much as the constitution did not confer such immunity on the Senate President and Speaker, any attempt to get same through the back door is null and void.

They think they are smart. They know it will be difficult to get the constitution amended to include the obnoxious immunity. They now want to go through the back door and send it in as a bill, which can then be passed as Act. They re quite funny, they know that if the president witholds his assent to a bill passed, 2/3rds majority of NASS can overule the president after a while, and the bill will become a law.

But what u senile old man and them did not realise is that the law will be contradicting the provisions of the constitution.

The constitution did not provide that the senate president and speaker have immunity, as such, an Act of the National Assembly that seeks to make it so will be null and void.

The constitution is supreme!
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by AODT(m): 7:47pm On Oct 05, 2015
AM SO GLAD WE ARE NOW FINDING COMMON GROUNDS TO UNITE AND A VERY GOOD ONE TOO.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by dammytosh: 7:48pm On Oct 05, 2015
donholy28:
Soon even governors go begin find immunity from d law sef

Governors already have immunity.
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by shortgun(m): 7:49pm On Oct 05, 2015
I will disagree with u on this barcasnista.
In a democracy like we practice in Nigeria, there are 3 arms of Government...the executive, legislative and judiciary. No arm of govt. is more important than the other.

The legislstive is as important as the executive....if the heads of the executive is enjoying immunity I see no reason why the heads of the other arms of government should not enjoy the same.

At the end of the day its the citizens that suffer if the heads of the legislature and judiaciary are Always in court defending every frivolous litigation.
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by Kennydoc(m): 7:56pm On Oct 05, 2015
PassingShot:
This double faced OP again!

I remember you drummed support for Saraki to be senate president despite his known antecedents just to spite APC. People like you shouldn't be taken seriously for your double stand on national issues.

The reason you are aginst Saraki now is the faint hope that a PDP senator might clinch the presidency should Saraki be removed. For you and your likes, it's not for the love of the nation but for your stomach.

Thanks for the preaching anyway. We already know Saraki and his colleagues are joking with the immunity idea. It won't fly.

Barcanista is far more open minded and neutral than you can ever be, even in your next life. You're the last person that should call another double faced.

Now let me ask you, what was your reaction when Saraki decamped from PDP to APC? Did you not celebrate him as a progressive?

Barcanista has always been against Saraki's corrupt antecedents right from time, even before the thoughts of PDP taking over the leadership of the Senate came up.

You should cure yourself of hypocrisy and stop attacking someone else.
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by reuben79: 8:00pm On Oct 05, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Even in the USA the President enjoys immunity from criminal prosecution. In fact, ALL Presidents (Heads of States) and Heads of Government enjoy global immunity from arrests and prosecution...except when impeached or warrant issued by International Criminal Court, but NO head of legislative or judicial arm enjoys such. It isn't peculiar to Nigeria!
yes but nigeria political ar nt matured 4 dat#dey we use dat opportunity to loot more and abusement of der possition
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:02pm On Oct 05, 2015
shortgun:
I will disagree with u on this barcasnista.
In a democracy like we practice in Nigeria, there are 3 arms of Government...the executive, legislative and judiciary. No arm of govt. is more important than the other.

The legislstive is as important as the executive....if the heads of the executive is enjoying immunity I see no reason why the heads of the other arms of government should not enjoy the same.

At the end of the day its the citizens that suffer if the heads of the legislature and judiaciary are Always in court defending every frivolous litigation.

The Constitution has given legislators legislative immunity and judiciary judicial immunity. Nobody can arrest or prosecute them for whatever they do in line of their parliamentary or legislative duties (as the case may be). So what else do they want? This is the accepted norm all over the world!
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by menxer: 8:08pm On Oct 05, 2015
For the first time in the history of wailing, a spade is differentiated from a spoon. grin

This is a good one.
Re: Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 05, 2015
You are not in support of the this agenda because you are seriously interested in seeing Saraki removed so that Ike (PDP) can climb the throne. I assure you that Saraki will be removed but PDP won't smell that seat of Senate President.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Says Power Generation Is Up To 7000MW, Nigerians Reacts / Kalu, Abaribe, Uzodinma, Others Storm Imo For 1999 Constitution Review (VIDEO) / Dogara, Others Disown Babachir Lawal's Endorsement Of Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.