Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:34 PM

You Are Abusing Digital Technology - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / You Are Abusing Digital Technology (571 Views)

Advanced High Power Inverters With Etsb Digital Technology And Exide Batteries / EU Fines Google A Record $2.7 Billion For Abusing Product Searches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

You Are Abusing Digital Technology by wearobo: 5:45pm On Oct 05, 2015
DO YOU use digital technology? Many would answer yes and for good reason electronics devices play a prominent and vital role in employment, social life and entertainment. However, Many people seem overly attached to some uses of technology, for example, 20-year-old Nichole says: ''I hate to say it, but my phone and I are best friends.I make sure it is close by at all times.I go crazy if I'm in an area with no cell coverage, and after half an hour, I can't wait to be able to check my messages again.It is a little ridiculous!''

Some people even check their devices for messages and updates all through the night.They may experience withdrawal syndrome when they are separated from their digital companions.Some researchers describe this type of behaviour as an addiction---whether to digital technology in general or more specifically to the Internet or a partner device, such as a smartphone.Others hesitate to use the term ''addiction'' and prefers to describe such behaviour as problematic, compulsive or obsessive.

Regardless of what it is called,unwise use of digital technology can be a problem. In some places, it has created a barrier between family members. For example, a 20-year-old girl laments:''My father doesn't know about anything going on in my life anymore.He sits in the living room and writes emails while he is talking to me.He can't put his phone down.My dad probably cares about me, but something just doesn't seem that he does.

Digital Detox

To help deal with abuse of technology,nations such as China,South Korea,the United Kingdom and the United States have established ''digital detox'' centres where a person is denied access to the Internet and digital devices for several days. For example, consider Brett, a young adult who says that at one point he was playing an online game for up to 16 hours a day.''Whenever I went online , it really was like getting high on a drug,'' he says. By the time Brett checked himself into a Digital Detox centre, he was unemployed, had neglected his hygiene and had lost his friends. How can you prevent such a sad outcome? Find out in our next post on this topic.

cc: lalasticlala
Credit: http://www.wearobo.com/2015/10/you-are-abusing-digital-technology.html#sthash.IyIOjAlO.dpuf

Re: You Are Abusing Digital Technology by Dekatron(m): 8:48pm On Oct 05, 2015
undecided undecided
Re: You Are Abusing Digital Technology by myworldtech: 3:08am On Oct 07, 2015
am guilty of this.

(1) (Reply)

Yahoo Mail Plus : Yahoo Mail That Lets You Insert Images. / What You Need To Know About The Existence Of Carbon On Planet Earth / Vmware ICM Training In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.