Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,858 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

Feminism: What It Actually Is. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Feminism: What It Actually Is. (2913 Views)

Is It Actually Every Man That Can Be Controlled By A Woman? / Feminism!!!! What Its All About And How To Handle Them! / 10 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Is Lying To You About (and She Actually Is) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feminism: What It Actually Is. by kennykendo(m): 7:39pm On Oct 05, 2015
These days almost more than 85% of ladies will tell u they are feminists ..but do they actually know what that phrase means? or is it just what they feel ....that actually makes them dwell in their own opinion?
Wikipedia defines Feminism as a range of movements and ideologies that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, cultural, personal, and social rights for women.This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women.
Feminist movements have campaigned and continue to campaign for women's rights, including the right to vote, to hold public office, to work, to fair wages or equal pay, to own property, to education, to enter contracts, to have equal rights within marriage, and to have maternity leave. Feminists have also worked to promote bodily autonomy and integrity, and to protect women and girls from rape, sexual harassment, and domestic violence.
However, some women, mainly the ones who had had problems in their families, have exaggerated the situation, therefore the feminism have had some disadvantages:
>>Genital difference: Some women think that a man and a woman should be equal in everything. And everything includes their physics. Therefore, to also have the same body, some women have preferred to live with a lesbian and forget the men.
>>Anti-male: Many women want to have children, but some of them think that a sexual relation is a violent action. To avoid this “violence” they chose for inseminate.
>>Readings: According to the feminism, everything should be equal in sex. Therefore, an author should have two protagonists: a man and a woman. What about the orders in the writings? Could we write: A man and a woman? Or should we write: A woman and a man?
>>Harassment: In some countries such as Mexico, it is dangerous when a man sees a woman, because she is able to consider it as harassment. Also, it is dangerous to travel in metro, because if a man rubs a woman as an accident, the woman is able to sue the man for a sexual harassment

N.B: am not in any way trying to counter a good feminism advocacy all i am pounding on is that the feminism has had advantages and disadvantages. Equilibrium would be the only way to get a correct feminism.

cc: Lalasticlala
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Krystalluv(f): 8:21pm On Oct 05, 2015
#Hmmm.... Feminism indeed!
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Krystalluv(f): 8:33pm On Oct 05, 2015
Can men and women actually have egual rights, especially in marriage?? If so, who will be d head/leader?? Who will be d 'neck/follower'??..... d children, maybe....
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by babyfaceafrica: 8:36pm On Oct 05, 2015
A lot of feminist are confused!!!...they don't know what they want!!
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by tosyne2much(m): 8:38pm On Oct 05, 2015
People just fail to accept the fact that God actually created men and gave them absolute predominance over virtually everything
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 05, 2015
Me self no no,op ask google cheesy
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Vinshu(f): 8:45pm On Oct 05, 2015
I agree with the OP to an extent.

I am a feminist. A true feminist. I laugh at ladies who claim to be feminists when they do not know what it means. Most ladies think feminism is a hate for men or an anti-male thing or an excuse to be a lesbian but it is about equal rights.

We do not hate men neither are we anti-male, we want equal rights, equal respect anywhere we go. We should not be regarded as "properties" or "tools" in the sight of males. We should be equal to an extent even in marriages.

Also equality in business, politics and other aspects of life.

Not only in Mexico, even in Lithuania and Cyprus, a female can accuse a man staring at her for more than 10 seconds for assault and/or sexual harassment. It's the law. In these places you rarely hear stories of rape, husbands beating wives.. etc. Because they are punishable offences. This is what we want worldwide not in one country or one state.

But i do not see this being accomplished anytime soon in parts of the world such as Africa where women are seen as subjects or props in the sight of men and these women are comfortable with it. Then I do not see equality on its way.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by lilmax(m): 8:47pm On Oct 05, 2015
Nothing like feminism in marriage... .outside marriage your certificate speaks for you

Patiently waiting to know what feminism has done in Nigeria
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 05, 2015
You will never see a feminist who is happily married to a rich man
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Vinshu(f): 9:05pm On Oct 05, 2015
BUTCHCASSIDY:
You will never see a feminist who is happily married to a rich man

You think so?
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 05, 2015
Vinshu:

You think so?
Can you mention one lady that is a feminist married to a very rich man, please?

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Aminat508(f): 9:12pm On Oct 05, 2015
shocked
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 05, 2015
Vinshu:

You think so?

Have u seen?
A Feminist that is in a loving relationship with her husband and the husband takes care of all her needs

1 Like

Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by kennykendo(m): 9:24pm On Oct 05, 2015
Vinshu:

I am a feminist. A true feminist. I laugh at ladies who claim to be feminists when they do not know what it means. Most ladies think feminism is a hate for men or an anti-male thing or an excuse to be a lesbian but it is about equal rights.

We do not hate men neither are we anti-male, we want equal rights, equal respect anywhere we go. We should not be regarded as "properties" or "tools" in the sight of males. We should be equal to an extent even in marriages.

Not only in Mexico, even in Lithuania and Cyprus, a female can accuse a man staring at her for more than 10 seconds for assault and/or sexual harassment. It's the law. In these places you rarely hear stories of rape, husbands beating wives.. etc. Because they are punishable offences. This is what we want worldwide not in one country or one state.

But i do not see this being accomplished anytime soon in parts of the world such as Africa where women are seen as subjects or props in the sight of men and these women are comfortable with it. Then I do not see equality on its way.
i understand your argument perfectly... there are women who have the wrong perception of what feminism is which pushes them into extreme feminism in such cases allows them to have or indulge in same sex marriage... you may not know this but according to the New York Times article that was stopped from being published late last year has it that a group of extreme feminists was a part of the forces behind the implementation of same sex marriage .....so its left for the feminists who totally understand this to help restructure the thinking pattern of such humans. but i honestly ask myself wetin for happen if we come get MASCULINISM grin grin grin
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Vinshu(f): 9:30pm On Oct 05, 2015
all4naija:

Can you mention one lady that is a feminist married to a very rich man, please?

Well, I am a feminist and I am married. But I won't tag my husband "very rich". But my marriage is fine by God's grace.
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Nobody: 9:31pm On Oct 05, 2015
Vinshu:

That is feminism according to you.
Unfortunately your confused comrades in arms dont share the same sentiments
in fact you guys cant come up with one concrete definition of feminism
nor can you agree on what exactly you want
we have heard your version
Another version says females should be above the males
We have another version ( an extreme ideology)yet that says women can do without men promoting lesbianism
And so we hear different variations of what true feminism should be
And you expect the world to be as confused as you following your every whim

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Vinshu(f): 9:32pm On Oct 05, 2015
BUTCHCASSIDY:

Have u seen?
A Feminist that is in a loving relationship with her husband and the husband takes care of all her needs

Well, I am a feminist and I am in a loving relationship with my HUSBAND! (I'm married) .

Though he does not take care of ALL MY NEEDS because we are both working and we are helping each other and take care of each other's needs.
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 05, 2015
Vinshu:

Well, I am a feminist and I am married. But I won't tag my husband "very rich". But my marriage is fine by God's grace.
Okay! That is completely not the right answer to my question. I like women who believe in gender equality more than feminists though.
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 05, 2015
Neitzsche

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Nobody: 9:40pm On Oct 05, 2015
Vinshu:

Well, I am a feminist and I am in a loving relationship with my HUSBAND! (I'm married) .

Though he does not take care of ALL MY NEEDS because we are both working and we are helping each other and take care of each other's needs.

Small small we will get to the root of your problem madam
First oga is not rich
Now he doesnt exactly take care of your needs

Or
Perhaps you are one of those ladies who will shout feminism outside their homes
Then at home they are the perfect submissive wives
If you are I pity your followers grin
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 05, 2015
all4naija:

Okay! That is completely not the right answer to my question. I like women who believe in gender equality more than feminists though.

What other equality do they want?
They go to school, they head organizations, the last three places I worked were all headed by women
In fact a woman mentored me when I got my 1st job,
women graduating with flying colours and doing exceptionally well
So how much more equal should equal get?

1 Like

Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Vinshu(f): 9:53pm On Oct 05, 2015
BUTCHCASSIDY:

Small small we will get to the root of your problem madam
First oga is not rich
Now he doesnt exactly take care of your needs

Or
Perhaps you are one of those ladies who will shout feminism outside their homes
Then at home they are the perfect submissive wives
If you are I pity your followers grin

Marriage is another world on its own. And what matters is happiness. What happens in your marriage might differ from mine as long as I and my partner are happy. That is what matters. You don't expect me to say my husband is rich or is not rich on a public forum. That would be rude and immature on my part. I won't display his worth neither would I break it down for you whether or not he takes care or not. But the point is, there are feminists out there who are married and their relationship is perfectly fine.

That is my point. Forget my husband's pocket. grin

P.s: He is a nairalander
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 05, 2015
Vinshu:

P.s: He is a nairalander
Is that you on your profile image?
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by lilmax(m): 10:04pm On Oct 05, 2015
Vinshu:

thank heavens I got the bolded

So there's equality in marriage? cheesy
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Vinshu(f): 10:11pm On Oct 05, 2015
all4naija:

Is that you on your profile image?

Does it matter? Sir?

Let's focus on the topic not me. Thanks
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Vinshu(f): 10:13pm On Oct 05, 2015
lilmax:
thank heavens I got the bolded

So there's equality in marriage? cheesy

Dear, like i wrote above, marriage is not the same to everyone. So your own definition of equality in marriage would differ from mine.

And yes, We all live by the Grace Of God.
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by lilmax(m): 10:15pm On Oct 05, 2015
Vinshu:

Dear, like i wrote above, marriage is not the same to everyone. So your own definition of equality in marriage would differ from mine.

And yes, We all live by the Grace Of God.
what's your definition of equality in marriage?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Vinshu(f): 10:21pm On Oct 05, 2015
lilmax:
what's your definition of equality in marriage?
Lol.. what do you want to see? Tell me so I type it. Lol I'm not answering your question tongue
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Adasun(m): 10:23pm On Oct 05, 2015
From time memorial,women can never lead.are we even equal in everything?in cyprus,mexico what if a woman stair at a man for long can we tag that as sexual harrasment?unlike women.everything equal right,equal right.bla bla bla.one thing is for sure men can never have an equality with women.i don't support rape,sexual harrasment,bt those equality thing is a poo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by lilmax(m): 10:26pm On Oct 05, 2015
Vinshu:

Lol.. what do you want to see? Tell me so I type it. Lol I'm not answering your question tongue
it's good you and I know the truth on equality in marriage grin
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by lezz(m): 10:44pm On Oct 05, 2015
Vinshu:

Very convenient for you not to answer.

There's nothing like equality in marriage and stop calling God. God is a God of hierarchy and in authority he places the female below the male.
Re: Feminism: What It Actually Is. by Vinshu(f): 10:54pm On Oct 05, 2015
lezz:
Very convenient for you not to answer.

There's nothing like equality in marriage and stop calling God. God is a God of hierarchy and in authority he places the female below the male.

No male is above me! I don't know about other females. But no male is above me. Not today not ever.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Women Go Through To Please A Man!!! / She Said I Disappointed Her. Did I? / 15 Ways To Improve Your Looks... For Average Guys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.