Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:48 AM

Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators (37122 Views)

Prof. Anthony Onwuka, Ministerial Nominee From Imo State, Would be Screened Out / Dino Melaye: Amaechi Will Be Screened Tomorrow / Ministerial List: Buhari Must Be Screened If He’s Petroleum Minister—senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by dougivilla(m): 10:01pm On Oct 05, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Buhari is NOT a minister! He is only taking charge of a particular sector. You can't be a minister and president at the same time. The ministers are his appointtees that the law allows to ASSIST him. Mind you, appointing ministers isn't mandatory but we can't over-estimate its importance. So if Buhari decide to take-charge of a sector, it is his prerogative. Beside, All ministers are working on behalf of the President and NOT on their own mandate. The mandate belongs to the President!
What exactly is the topic of discussion?
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by opineflu(m): 10:01pm On Oct 05, 2015
Ikiriye:

Don't abuse the senate,view are yet to screen out amaechi and Co 2morrow.
I pray dey don't get dose appointments...dis politicians aren't technicians...
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:03pm On Oct 05, 2015
dougivilla:
''At least one minister per state'' is a constitutional requirement not be left to the whims and caprice of anyone, not even the president. Where did you and Mr. president get your precedence from?

You seem to be interested in misleading people today. Why?
Listen, the President CANNOT take Katsina slot! He represent the whole federation as President. He will nominate and appoint Minister from Katsina state. I don't see why you are even bringing that up. For the record, the president is NOT and CANÑOT be a minister while holding his sit as President. He only decide to manage a sector himself! This is spot on!

As for precedent, the mandate of the president is to manage the affairs of this country! Ministers are only to assist him in sectors that he so determines. Obasanjo took charge of petroleum sector for almost 8years. He still appointed minister from Ogun state
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Ikiriye(m): 10:07pm On Oct 05, 2015
Enice:
go get your facts right. A minister is part of the executive. It is when the president want to delegate duty that he sends the name of the delegate (minister) to the house. If he chooses not to delegate the duty of the petroleum ministry, nothing will happen
Can you please tell me how many ministerial positions we have.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Lionhearted: 10:08pm On Oct 05, 2015
Chaleeee:
Ru

The constitution states otherwise. It states that all nominees must be screened by the senate. If buhari fails to appear and go ahead to be petroleum minister, then he has contravened the constitution and as such can be impeached and removed from office. Trust me if it comes to that, Saraki will joyfully remove him.

Interesting.

Does this constitute impeachable offense? Remember there is already a precedent.

He might leave the post vacant as there will be a minister of state for the ministry, in this case the NNPC boss, reporting directly to him. It is all about nomenclature.

Time will tell.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Eziachi: 10:09pm On Oct 05, 2015
Someone should tell the sinators that the reason ministers were screened in the presidential system was because they weren't elected but appointed.

Unlike the parliamentary system where the cabinet and junior ministerial are drawn from among elected members of parliament, hence no need for screening.

Buhari was elected and cannot be screened if he wished to manage any part of his government by himself or his deputy.
If he likes he may decide to scrap the ministry of petroleum altogether and then what? Law makers who are ignorant of the law process.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Eziachi: 10:14pm On Oct 05, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Buhari is NOT a minister! He is only taking charge of a particular sector. You can't be a minister and president at the same time. The ministers are his appointtees that the law allows to ASSIST him. Mind you, appointing ministers isn't mandatory but we can't over-estimate its importance. So if Buhari decide to take-charge of a sector, it is his prerogative. Beside, All ministers are working on behalf of the President and NOT on their own mandate. The mandate belongs to the President!
Tell them please. What an ignorant bunch of people. If Buhari decide not to appoint any minister at all that is his prerogative.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by PublicAssurance: 10:25pm On Oct 05, 2015
El-Rufai is a thuggish-technocrat o
judiciarypalava:

Yes he is no where near qualification for that position. There is a big difference between politically CONTESTED position and political APPOINTMENTS.
The former, if you have the MIND(rugged nature) Nigerian politics today requires, certainly you will make it. The later requires technical knowhow and expertise.
Does Buhari have WASC not to talk of any qualification/certification in oil sector management.
Buhari please lead us not into anarchy. I pray that what happened in 1985 will not happen faster than we expect it.
Blockhead Northern president.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by 2n2k(m): 10:26pm On Oct 05, 2015
dougivilla:
The topic of discussion is Buhari must be screened if he must be minister of petroleum, isn't it?

I don't usually answer people who are close-minded.

Section 130 made the president the chief executive in whom all the executive powers of the federation is vested. Ministers may only exercise part of the presidential powers which he delegates to them.

Section 147 gives the president the power to create/scrap office of minister as he so wish.

Section 147(6) gives senate only 3 weeks within which to either confirm/reject the nominee otherwise, the president will go ahead to fill such position.

Section 148 says: "the president MAY, in his discretion, assign to the vice-president or any minister, responsibility for any business of the government including the administration of any department of government"

I am not going to comment on these provisions or analyse them. Draw your conclusions.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by 2n2k(m): 10:30pm On Oct 05, 2015
Eziachi:
Someone should tell the sinators that the reason ministers were screened in the presidential system was because they weren't elected but appointed.

Unlike the parliamentary system where the cabinet and junior ministerial are drawn from among elected members of parliament, hence no need for screening.

Buhari was elected and cannot be screened if he wished to manage any part of his government by himself or his deputy.
If he likes he may decide to scrap the ministry of petroleum altogether and then what? Law makers who are ignorant of the law process.

Very informed post. This is the basis of 'bow and go' policy which the senate rightly extended to former members of legislature who are nominated to ministerial positions.

The only qualification required by section 147(5) of the constitution for ministerial post is that you must be qualified to be elected as a member of the House of Representatives. Nothing more.

The screening is more of political showmanship. How do you effectively screen a person for a post when both the screener and the person being screened don't even know where the president is posting.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by coolitempa(f): 10:33pm On Oct 05, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Sorry, the president is not a Minister, he will NEVER be a Minister! He is only overseeing a particular sector.

Look the constitution, ministers were to 'assist' the president in discharge of his duties, if he decides to handle a sector himself, it is spot on. The suggestion of the Senate is bo[h foolish and abdurd! Dead on Arrival

Phew...finally someone who despite his shortcomings understands the constitution...well done...... grin....for a change...
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Enice(m): 10:41pm On Oct 05, 2015
Chaleeee:
Ru

The constitution states otherwise. It states that all nominees must be screened by the senate. If buhari fails to appear and go ahead to be petroleum minister, then he has contravened the constitution and as such can be impeached and removed from office. Trust me if it comes to that, Saraki will joyfully remove him.
hear yourself! You used the word "nominee". Is the president a nominee?
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by sadissbala(m): 10:41pm On Oct 05, 2015
bonechamberlain:
grin

have anyone noticed that since 1999, the two military leaders we have had, obj and GMB always have a problem with the Senate, while under the two civilians yar adua and gej, they had a smooth relationship with the senate.

reason: the military always have this strong head attitude, they still have the mentality of a military head of state where they issue decrees without any Senate.
under yar adua and Jonathan (two civilised leaders), they knew the Senate also has powers in a democratic system, so the respected the nass and followed them diplomatically with tact and wisdom.

until the military show respect to the Senate in a democratic system we would continue to be where we have been.

and also until Nigerians remove the mentality of "strong man" during elections this military returnees would continue to come back in every election .

as for buhari facing screening, I am speechless
the only reason is that majority of the sanators are corrupts.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by spenca: 10:46pm On Oct 05, 2015
Odes!
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by OfoIgbo: 10:48pm On Oct 05, 2015
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 05, 2015
Ikiriye:

I guess the one you screened came from the north talk true.
Bros 4get o
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by OfoIgbo: 10:54pm On Oct 05, 2015
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by tosyne2much(m): 10:57pm On Oct 05, 2015
babaearly:
The next story we will hear is "Senators debunk rumor to screen President Buhari" because i don't think any senator in his right mind will say this rubbish. But you can't trust Nigerian journalists, the way they create stories to sell papers has been legendary since 1999.
hehehe cheesy
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Ddaji(m): 10:58pm On Oct 05, 2015
Ikiriye:

Tribal bigot
born looser,wailing waller next don't quote me
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by luvprince4real(m): 10:58pm On Oct 05, 2015
Lionhearted:
That's going too far. The president should be above screening by virtue of his position. He has the mandates of the people, and that alone is sufficient.

Though I aligned toward GEJ, I think Buhari did right by the petroleum ministerial portfolio. A wrong person can make a mess of his intentions either good or bad.

Case study: Jonathan and Diezani.
gerara here mehn.. What happen to defence? Y cant he be d defence minister after all he is experienced in dat, Y petroleum? Hmmm dis oyel thing na wa o.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Carmal90(m): 11:07pm On Oct 05, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

If minister are not mandated as you claimed, why the brouhaha about pmb not appointing one since inaugration
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Nobody: 11:07pm On Oct 05, 2015
xwolverine:
very cute

It would have made more sense if the Senators threatening fire and brimstone had clean records to back them up. But alas, they have forgotten they all have skeletons in their cupboards. I'm patiently waiting for that Senator that would be the first to cast a stone. And as a matter of fact, the constitution doesn't state that the senate has the final say in the appointment of nominees, once it exceeds the stipulated time according to

Section 147:
(6) An appointment to any of the offices aforesaid shall be deemed to have been made where no return has been received from the Senate within twenty-one working days of the receipt of nomination by the Senate.

You approve or don't approve, after 21 working days, the minister is valid.
If action is not taken but if the senate don't confirm any of the ministers that person is gone.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Nobody: 11:08pm On Oct 05, 2015
I die well if buhari knows much about the dynamics of oil and gas presently.. grin

1 Like

Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by knackz(m): 11:11pm On Oct 05, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Sorry, it's like you don't get the point. The President is NOT and CANNOT be a minister. Ministers are his appointees to 'ASSIST' him. If he decides to manage a sector himself, it is his prerogative. It DOESN'T make him a minister.
Ok, because i wonder whether the senate act on ethics or constitutional laws
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:17pm On Oct 05, 2015
Carmal90:

If minister are not mandated as you claimed, why the brouhaha about pmb not appointing one since inaugration
Who said ministers are NOT important? Please re-raat I wrote
Mind you, appointing ministers isn't mandatory but we can't over-estimate its importance. So if Buhari decide to take-charge of a sector, it is his prerogative.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by YaksonFCA(m): 11:18pm On Oct 05, 2015
Those Dishonourable Senators should apologize to PMB for that ridiculous statement. OBJ and GEJ served as Power Minister in their respective dispensation without any confirmation by the Senate. Nonsense!
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:21pm On Oct 05, 2015
knackz:

Ok, because i wonder whether the senate act on ethics or constitutional laws
The 8th Senate is filled with brainless people
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by DMerciful(m): 11:33pm On Oct 05, 2015
His mandate is to be president not petroleum minister! He is already doing a poor job at being president why add more?
TonyeBarcanista:
The 8th Senate is the most dumbest and useless Senate EVER! How can you even think of screening a President that has popular mandate? I think these Senators don't have any idea on their duties as parliamentarians. Lemme be very clear, they CANNOT screen a President.

As for 'Take-a-bow' Senators, I don't see anything different.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by ISpiksDaTroof: 11:37pm On Oct 05, 2015
Nigerians are disappointingly ignorant. Why do you need ministers from each state?

Your biggest problem are the Law Makers.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by DTaj: 11:42pm On Oct 05, 2015
Did the jobless, daft Senators screen Obasanjo when he appointed himself Petroleum Minister? Fools!
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by DMerciful(m): 11:43pm On Oct 05, 2015
So what should we call him? President of Nigeria and petroleum MINISTER? Or President of Nigeria and petroleum! grin
TonyeBarcanista:

The President is the Chief Executive. He was elected by the public! The provision for ministers is to AssiST the President. If the president decide to take charge of a sector, it is his prerogative. Like I said, the Senators are FOOLISH becacuse the President is NOT a minister. Ministers are his appointees.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Carmal90(m): 11:48pm On Oct 05, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Who said ministers are NOT important? Please re-raat I wrote
Check my post well, did i also said minister are not important?? You said minister are not mandated on the president which i found very hard to believe...though am meticiously reading the constitution

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Senator Elisha Abbo: Lauretta Onochie Tells Police To Arrest Senator / Trending On Quora: "Why Are Nigerians Fleeing Nigeria" / See How Lagosians Struggle To Get To Their Destinations After Heavy Rainfall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.