Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,394 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor (23921 Views)

Nigeria’ll Begin Rice Export Next Year, Says CBN / Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. / EXCLUSIVE: CBN Will NOT Devalue Naira, Mulls Proposal For New Forex Window (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by godwin120alex: 6:55am On Oct 06, 2015
I will discuss with some economist on dis but seriously the economy is in comatose.Lag State is even worst with traffic almost in every area of d State.
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by Nobody: 6:55am On Oct 06, 2015
coolzeal:
On one side it leads to improvement of current account and reduction in trade deficit after a certain time period, but it will eventually cause stress on imports, creates trade deficits for the counter party, and leads to rise in inflation, thus while deciding on Currency devaluation consequences both sides of the coin must be understood. Nigeria is a developing nation and cannot pull thay off. Perhaps, the reason China can get away with currency devaluation.

Which is why we have to become like China.

Of course...it means a tough few years of austerity like policies...but we will get developed and free of oil.
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by bookface: 7:03am On Oct 06, 2015
ibedun:

Deterioration of which fundamentals? I like to be sure you know what you are talking about.

Deterioration in foreign investments, upward pressure on local yields, deterioration in real household savings.

To name just 3

1 Like

Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by repogirl(f): 7:09am On Oct 06, 2015
Lol, I doubt this is the CBN governors mind.... He is speaking on behalf of his Oga, Buhari.
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by Nobody: 7:14am On Oct 06, 2015
repogirl:
Lol, I doubt this is the CBN governors mind.... He is speaking on behalf of his Oga, Buhari.

No....

Many Central ban governors in oil prducing countries have the same dilemma

Devalue the currency, or hoard dollars to buffer the currency.

Many are choosing the latter...

In Venezuela....the main brewery in the country is producing less beer, because the Venezuelan Central Bank won't release dollars for the brewery to import barley.

If the currency is devalued, it would make things worse.

The only ways out are

1.Pray for oil prices to rise again (Not going to happen.....everybody is producing oil, and the US is now self sufficient in domestic oil production).

2.Industrialise....the best option.

2 Likes

Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by Funjosh(m): 7:17am On Oct 06, 2015
It is a lie, we can't die if you like liquidate the Naira tongue
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by crownwealth68(m): 7:23am On Oct 06, 2015
Chine12:
How does that Reduce the price of Garri??
Anytime I read quotes like this, I'm reminded of my days in elementary school, sincerely nd terribly unfortunate. Thanks.
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by Franky9584(m): 7:30am On Oct 06, 2015
which way 9ja? may God help us all
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by kellybently(m): 7:33am On Oct 06, 2015
ibedun:

You will nearly 'die alive' if you allow the Naira to collapse. Why can't you ignorant people keep quiet when issues beyond your knowledge are under discussion?

I can see how ignorant u are.
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by youngalex(m): 7:57am On Oct 06, 2015
I say this with every sense of sincerity,it is in the best interest of Nigeria to avoid further currency devaluation, the way out is to continue to defend the Naira by any means possible while injecting finds through the bank of industry for rapid industrialization.Any devaluation now will lead to a serious financial crisis.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by Originalsly: 7:58am On Oct 06, 2015
ibedun:

Please explain?

I can't understand how fiscal policies could offset the exchange rate/currency issues cause by drop in oil price and the reckless depletion of reserves accrued from the recent oil boom.
Fiscal policies would be the long term plans set out improve the economy and at the same time either maintain or strengthen the value of the naira....and that would also prevent "the reckless depletion of reserves".Any other plan is like putting a plaster over a sore. I am still waiting to see policies to promote self sufficiency and develop local industries instead of waiting in vain for oil prices to rebound.
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by dozern(m): 8:34am On Oct 06, 2015
if only tribalism and hatred will allow us. let buhari invites the renowned economist,like soludo and co to help Nigeria out of economic mishap.
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by mbulela: 8:34am On Oct 06, 2015
ibedun:

Please explain?

I can't understand how fiscal policies could offset the exchange rate/currency issues cause by drop in oil price and the reckless depletion of reserves accrued from the recent oil boom.
Edited
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by mbulela: 8:37am On Oct 06, 2015
Originalsly:
I am still waiting to see policies to promote self sufficiency and develop local industries instead of waiting in vain for oil prices to rebound.
Even the best of such plans are long term and will have no effect in the short term and would not address the issue at hand. Oil prices will not rebound. We are acrewed in the short and medium term and if we do not do something along the lines you mention, we are doomed in the long term too
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by Truckpusher(m): 8:39am On Oct 06, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Lack of fiscal policies is making the job of the CBN very difficult.
And the old man isn't ready to entrust anyone with a sensitive responsibility wholeheartedly.

And another factor could be that Buhari came from a feudal North where any little atom of capitalism or capitalist ideology smells of greed and selfishness - I do not see him making any policy that would scale up the standard of living when his kinsmen are just fine with a kiosk store and a handheld radio to tune into BBC Hausa .The south will pay the price because this is what you get when a country share different ideologies.

1 Like

Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by oweman: 8:42am On Oct 06, 2015
Sx solid years of lootery non stop including rhe rheft of $20billion with the CBN governor when he was with the Zenith Bank plc for which he was compensted with the office of Governor CBN he probably is expecting the damage his uncle took six years to do to be corrected in 3 months .
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by blank(f): 8:42am On Oct 06, 2015
ibedun:

Please explain?

Fiscal policies will mean other measures will be taken to prop up the currency and not just by currency restrictions.
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by Nobody: 9:01am On Oct 06, 2015
CBN governor needs to.do everything possible to defend the naira.

1 Like

Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by simplejayy(m): 9:16am On Oct 06, 2015
I just exchanged 1$ for 1naira grin
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by InvertedHammer: 9:26am On Oct 06, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Lack of fiscal policies is making the job of the CBN very difficult.
/
For once, I agree with you.
\
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by IBBG(m): 9:47am On Oct 06, 2015
smh. so many people in this forum are clueless when it comes to the dynamics of our economy. no insult intended.
the CBN governor should not yield to any pressure to devalue, as it potends danger to our economy. Especially inflation
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by viktor01(m): 10:35am On Oct 06, 2015
All these economic jagons these people are deceiving us with.
Please, the average man on the streets just want to feel an improvement in the economy, are they trying to tell us that they are not aware of the downward spiral in the nation's economy or what has grammer been able to solve?
You guys should just fix this country already cause that is what you are being paid that huge amount to do and lest I forget, Buhari promised appreciation of the Naira not devaluation.
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by 989900: 11:00am On Oct 06, 2015
I created 2 threads on this a while back:

So, in essence, naira devaluation was and remains bad news that portends social and economic dislocations and deepening poverty; evidently, our trajectory in the last 30 years bears ample testimony to this reality.

https://www.nairaland.com/2630715/how-naira-devaluation-impoverish-nigeria

Ultimately, the overwhelming pressure from International Finance Agencies, with the governments’ craving for international support for an illegal military junta, precipitated serial Naira devaluations from less than N2 to over N22=$1 by 1993. This rash decapitation of the naira exchange rate pauperized Nigerians, including University professors and technocrats and tragically triggered the brain drain to more stable economies in Europe and America; sadly this disenabling phenomenon has gathered speed and persists till date, as beneficiaries of our individual and collective sacrifices still abandon serving their country in preference for dollar pay packets abroad.

Indeed, wages soon became decimated by unyielding devaluation, such that it became necessary for most Nigerians, particularly civil servants to make awkward adjustments and engage in ‘Extra-curricular’ activities to supplement their paltry incomes; although the impact of Naira devaluation may not have been the origin of corruption in Nigeria, it certainly contributed to its spread and public apathy to the disease as more Nigerians became beneficiaries of the wages of corruption.

https://www.nairaland.com/2573929/poison-further-devaluation-naira
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by 989900: 11:04am On Oct 06, 2015
Fall in oil prices is just a fraction of why the Naira depreciated so badly.
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 06, 2015
Okanokan:
I don't know how Mr Emiefele, the CBN Governor intend to hold out under the present harsh reality. Sounding Bohemian is not the solution to the current economic crisis, because when the envisaged fall of naira come, Nigerian will blame him for wrong advise to Mr President. Mr Emiefele should know that himself and Mr Kachikwu both from Delta State are the drivers of the economy. Wahala dey o!

Again passing blames....

Pls read the last 2 paragraphs of the OP for better understanding

Zombie grin grin
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by grandstar(m): 1:16pm On Oct 06, 2015
You won't devalue the currency but prefer the people live in a Fool's Paradise!

This is all hubris
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by Okanokan(m): 1:54pm On Oct 06, 2015
OldJohn:

Again passing blames....

Pls read the last 2 paragraphs of the OP for better understanding

Zombie grin grin

Oldjohn, definitely my seeing issues differently from your point of view, does not call for bitter insult. It quite disgusting when supposedly mature men display infantile mentality on the net.
What you must know, is that on all issues on the world space; there Always two side of the coin either in creating solutions or creating problems or third part which are normally at the edges, what Emiefele stated is self explanatory- no to devaluation, while others says yes to devaluation and others like myself who believe there is a third part to the solution by taking valid points from both extremes and creating an enduring solution to the economic discussion of devaluation or non devaluation. At times like this, civility is the answer to getting solution(audi alterem partem) hear the other side. Not calling somebody zombie.
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 06, 2015
Okanokan:

Oldjohn, definitely my seeing issues differently from your point of view, does not call for bitter insult. It quite disgusting when supposedly mature men display infantile mentality on the net.
What you must know, is that on all issues on the world space; there Always two side of the coin either in creating solutions or creating problems or third part which are normally at the edges, what Emiefele stated is self explanatory- no to devaluation, while others says yes to devaluation and others like myself who believe there is a third part to the solution by taking valid points from both extremes and creating an enduring solution to the economic discussion of devaluation or non devaluation. At times like this, civility is the answer to getting solution(audi alterem partem) hear the other side. Not calling somebody zombie.

Pls read the part where you wrote everybody will blame Emefiele if the naira continues to fall because of his wrong advise to the President.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/09/i-wont-devalue-naira-says-buhari/

I'm not too sure Emefiele does most of the advising. Buhari tells him what he wants and he carries out instructions. Right now, what Buhari understands as economic growth is 1$=1N. He doesn't understand that monetary policies can't and will not improve an economy. You need fiscal policies too. That a currency is better or equal to the dollar doesn't mean the economy is buoyant. An always ready-made example is Greece which uses the euro which has more value to the dollar. Yet one economy problem to the other. Bailout, debts, unemployment, austerity, etc..

External investors need to see a functional ministry geared towards improving a countries economy. Every country tries to draw investors from outside just to improve the economy, the biggest one wooing people right now to their country being china, considering the way they have relaxed emigration laws to encourage medium and sometimes small scale investors in their country. But no, not Nigeria, we drive them away simply because one man who is an island if his own, who even thinks he can stabilize oil price, has refused to set up a ministry.

Sorry for the zombie stuff though grin. Is just because sometimes most APC supporters can't see beyond their nose and like allocating blames. Right now, the problem isn't coming from the extreme end of the investors who feel naira should be devalued before they do business because they aren't seeing the value if the said naira at 224 But from our end. We should have first encouraged foreign investment, even if it means temporarily devaluing, then slowly start tightening the use of dollar and restricting many goods used during for ex trading. With a buoyant and diversified economy that's the only time we can start appreciating the naira and nobody will complain

1 Like

Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by Okanokan(m): 3:02pm On Oct 06, 2015
OldJohn:

Pls read the part where you wrote everybody will blame Emefiele if the naira continues to fall because of his wrong advise to the President.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/09/i-wont-devalue-naira-says-buhari/

I'm not too sure Emefiele does most of the advising. Buhari tells him what he wants and he carries out instructions. Right now, what Buhari understands as economic growth is 1$=1N. He doesn't understand that monetary policies can't and will not improve an economy. You need fiscal policies too. That a currency is better or equal to the dollar doesn't mean the economy is buoyant. An always ready-made example is Greece which uses the euro which has more value to the dollar. Yet one economy problem to the other. Bailout, debts, unemployment, austerity, etc..

External investors need to see a functional ministry geared towards improving a countries economy. Every country tries to draw investors from outside just to improve the economy, the biggest one wooing people right now to their country being china, considering the way they have relaxed emigration laws to encourage medium and sometimes small scale investors in their country. But no, not Nigeria, we drive them away simply because one man who is an island if his own, who even thinks he can stabilize oil price, has refused to set up a ministry.

Sorry for the zombie stuff though grin. Is just because sometimes most APC supporters can't see beyond their nose and like allocating blames. Right now, the problem isn't coming from the extreme end of the investors who feel naira should be devalued before they do business because they aren't seeing the value if the said naira at 224 But from our end. We should have first encouraged foreign investment, even if it means temporarily devaluing, then slowly start tightening the use of dollar and restricting many goods used during for ex trading. With a buoyant and diversified economy that's the only time we can start appreciating the naira and nobody will complain

I use those words not with the intent of laying the blame on his doorstep but to state the obvious, that now that Mr Buhari does not have an economic team, most blames would be placed at his and the GMD of NNPC doorstep and coincidentally both are from Delta State.
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by martinosi: 3:03pm On Oct 06, 2015
INTROVERT:
hmmmm

GMB will remove emefiele before March and guess where his replacement will come from. grin

The Naira is going to fall/depreciate further...Iran has been let back into the International Oil Market..oil may fall
to $30 USD a barrel..it is possible..then what does Nigeria do then.....?

The Good thing about Nigerian Economy is that we can feed ourselves (Local Food Production)
that why we are not suffering the fate of Venezuela, Eygpt etc....

Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by martinosi: 3:04pm On Oct 06, 2015
INTROVERT:
hmmmm

GMB will remove emefiele before March and guess where his replacement will come from. grin

The Naira is going to fall/depreciate further...Iran has been let back into the International Oil Market..oil may fall
to $30 USD a barrel..it is possible..then what does Nigeria do then.....?

The Good thing about Nigerian Economy is that we can feed ourselves (Local Food Production)
that why we are not suffering the fate of Venezuela, Eygpt etc....
Re: If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor by martinosi: 3:05pm On Oct 06, 2015
bushdoc9919:

No....

Many Central ban governors in oil prducing countries have the same dilemma

Devalue the currency, or hoard dollars to buffer the currency.

Many are choosing the latter...

In Venezuela....the main brewery in the country is producing less beer, because the Venezuelan Central Bank won't release dollars for the brewery to import barley.

If the currency is devalued, it would make things worse.

The only ways out are

1.Pray for oil prices to rise again (Not going to happen.....everybody is producing oil, and the US is now self sufficient in domestic oil production).

2.Industrialise....the best option.

Solution is to

Agriculturalise on a Major Scale and Develop your refineries....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Naira Depreciates Further As Dealers Await New FX Regime / Ifeanyi Ubah's Love Letter To Wife On Her Birthday, Shares Wedding Photos / CBN Did Not Devalue The Naira!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.