Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,421 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:09 PM

Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial (16494 Views)

Saraki And Dogara Meet With Buhari At Abuja House In London (Photo) / Senators Pray over Saraki's Victory At The CCT (Photos) / At This Point Only God Can Save Buhari – Dogara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by Dotng: 4:36am On Oct 06, 2015
Buhari, Dogara meet over Saraki’s trial

There were indications that President Muhammadu Buhari and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr. Yakubu Dogara, met on Monday night over the ongoing prosecution of the President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki, for alleged false asset declaration.

The meeting said to have been held late in the night.

Our correspondent learnt that Dogara had reportedly “secured a booking” to meet with Buhari at the Aso Rock Villa.

A senior official of the House told The PUNCH that the meeting was not an open affair and that nobody could gauge the mood of the President.

The official said, “I am aware that he (speaker) secured a booking to see the President this night. But, this will not be an open meeting just yet. I think he wants to first see Mr. President and inform him about the resolution of the House.

“The President’s mood will determine whether he will go on to mediate in the matter to find a political solution as advised by the House.”

The House had in a resolution passed on Wednesday, last week, asked Dogara to intervene in Saraki’s case by meeting with Buhari and the Senate President, who is also the Chairman of the National Assembly, with a view to finding a political solution to the matter.

The move by the House came soon after the Code of Conduct Bureau arraigned the Senate President before the Code of Conduct Tribunal for alleged false asset declaration.

The House had argued that a political solution could save the country the heat generated in the polity by Saraki’s trial at the CCT.

It also claimed that a matter affecting the National Assembly could indirectly be a threat to democracy.

Part of the resolution reads, “The House mandates the leadership of the House to meet with the President with a view to politically resolving all outstanding issues relating to National Assembly in the interest of Nigerians.

“Mandate the speaker to intervene in the present issues and challenges being faced by the Chairman of the National Assembly (Saraki) with a view to finding a political solution and protecting the institution of the National Assembly as a whole for the interest of our democracy.”

When contacted for comments, the Chairman, House Ad hoc Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Mr. Sani Zoro, said he could not confirm whether there would be a meeting between Buhari and Dogara.

Zoro claimed to have made efforts to reach the speaker but could not because of a meeting of the leadership of the House being held as of 4.44pm when he spoke with The PUNCH.

However, he admitted that Dogara was “eminently placed” to mediate in the issue since his position had not been “called to question by any authority as we speak.”

He added, “While I cannot confirm immediately whether there will be a meeting tonight between Mr. President and the Speaker, I will quickly say that the speaker has been involved in several reconciliation meetings within the party (All Progressives Congress) and other levels.

“It was not by mistake that the House mandated him to intervene in the current issue affecting the Senate President.

“He has been holding several reconciliation meetings.”

But, another member of Zoro’s committee confided in The PUNCH that he was aware that Dogara planned to meet with Buhari between Monday (yesterday) and Wednesday (tomorrow) over Saraki’s case.

The source said two other meetings, one with Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, and the other with the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr. Babachir Lawal, would precede a meeting with Buhari on Wednesday.

“He will likely meet with the VP and the SGF on Tuesday (today) before another leg of meeting with Buhari on Wednesday,” the source stated.

Buhari had said that his relationship with Saraki would be determined by the outcome of his trial by the CCT.

However, the two top officials of the government were photographed on Thursday last week at an event marking the 55th Independence anniversary of the country as they laughed and bantered.

The photograph was said to be intended to portray the two as officials who had no scores to settle.

Buhari and Saraki are said not to have held any official meeting to discuss matters of state since the latter emerged as the President of the 8th Senate on June 9 against the preferred choice of the APC, Senator Ahmad Lawan.

The current peace move being spearheaded by Dogara is coming amid the screening of Buhari’s ministerial nominees by the Senate, beginning anytime from Tuesday (today).

Saraki had on Wednesday last week confirmed the receipt of the letter containing the names of the nominees but noted that the letter would be opened at plenary on Tuesday.

With Saraki in charge of affairs, there are concerns in some quarters that the Senate President may seize the opportunity to take his pound of flesh by influencing senators to reject a number of the nominees.

http://www.punchng.com/news/buhari-dogara-meet-over-sarakis-trial/

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by fromnigeria(m): 4:38am On Oct 06, 2015
All i'm saying is Make my beloved Nigeria great again.

And as for me: FTC the fourth time within few days means i've not made a very nice use of time since. Tooo bed

Nevertheless, its to my one and only LOVE grin.

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by mystockyear: 4:46am On Oct 06, 2015
As we all step out this morning, may this week bring us success in all endeavors

47 Likes

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by dayo23(f): 4:49am On Oct 06, 2015
fromnigeria:
In case

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by Sanchez01: 5:01am On Oct 06, 2015
In the interest of Nigerians, it would be better for the Speaker to stop his silly actions in attempting to interfere with the law. Saraki has pleaded not guilty (Setup #1) and he only need wait for October 21 for to prove his innocence.

While Dogara may be acting as a man with little or no integrity, the 'mere commissioner' and the President, I'm sure would not want to be on the wrong side of the masses.

Saraki should stop running around like a helpless mother whose baby is dying. No one will help him. I don't see the president interfering with the law. Abubakar Abdulsalam who was playing political godfather at some point failed in pleading with PMB to overlook the sins of Alison-Madueke alongside some thieves.

If Dogara and Saraki like, he should summon all the Emirs, Imams and Sultans in the North, the law must take its course.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by tyson99(m): 5:10am On Oct 06, 2015
ok
Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by modath(f): 5:19am On Oct 06, 2015
By political situation they mean Buhari should ask the CJN to kill the case, right ?,

Dogara himself knows he is going for mere formality, Saraki will have his day (s) in court..

8 Likes

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by Nobody: 5:29am On Oct 06, 2015
The problem of Nigeria is a systematic one. Abi how do u explain dogara going to mediate between PMB and saraki? OK what do u want PMB to do? To tie the hands of the law? It's time we start stoning anyone that supports corruption

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by modath(f): 5:40am On Oct 06, 2015
Dogara knows he is only fulfilling a mere formality....

Saraki will have his day (s) in court...

6 Likes

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by Ghandi12: 6:06am On Oct 06, 2015
If these are the benefits of being born into a rich family I am grateful to Almighty I was not born into one. Many commoners are being detained in prison without trials for donkey years - I have never seen these people : Emir Sanusi, Abdusalam Abubakar, Rev. Matthew Kukah and now Dogora taking the lead to plead on their behalf or at least interfere that justice be timely served.

On what basis is Saraki seeking forgiveness? After Saraki is forgiven what moral stand do the EFCC/ICPC/DSS/CCB/Police have to drag any other citizens before the court for graft? The following generations are keenly watching and learning. Saraki's trial so far has sent a very powerful message to all Nigerians that "...people should be ready to face the consequences of their actions and inactions.." especially as public officers.

The same Saraki the nobles seem to be so desperate to safe has been rejected by the overwhelming majority of his own people - they discuss his actions with scorns and indignation.

Even the Almighty recommends repentance prior to forgiveness. Where are all these Emirs when Saraki connived with oppositions and deliberately disgraced the Leaders of his party? Where were they when he was offered another opportunity for remission but decided to flout the advice of the Leaders for a second time.

Anyone who has observed the formation of APC would notice the Leaders have invested so much energy and have had to endure so many adversity in their journey to win the mandate of majority of Nigerians. Amaechi and Kwakwanso came on-board last minutes in a similar way with Saraki but they have remained loyal to all their party's decision. Amaechi for instance has been promised something about 3 times and has been denied 3 times but he has remained a loyal partyman.

APC campaigned for change which they can only achieve with collaboration of APC Senators but Saraki has never behaved as an APC Senator ever since February. He stole APC mandate against the party's wish and gad about with it ; still using APC mandate to work against APC interests.

As for me I can never advice the APC Leaders to let Saraki into their conclave again - the only way of life he understands is all he has demonstrated to all.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by khassy(m): 6:36am On Oct 06, 2015
Dotng:
Buhari, Dogara meet over Saraki’s trial

There were indications that President Muhammadu Buhari and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr. Yakubu Dogara, met on Monday night over the ongoing prosecution of the President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki, for alleged false asset declaration.

The meeting said to have been held late in the night.

Our correspondent learnt that Dogara had reportedly “secured a booking” to meet with Buhari at the Aso Rock Villa.

A senior official of the House told The PUNCH that the meeting was not an open affair and that nobody could gauge the mood of the President.

The official said, “I am aware that he (speaker) secured a booking to see the President this night. But, this will not be an open meeting just yet. I think he wants to first see Mr. President and inform him about the resolution of the House.

“The President’s mood will determine whether he will go on to mediate in the matter to find a political solution as advised by the House.”

The House had in a resolution passed on Wednesday, last week, asked Dogara to intervene in Saraki’s case by meeting with Buhari and the Senate President, who is also the Chairman of the National Assembly, with a view to finding a political solution to the matter.

The move by the House came soon after the Code of Conduct Bureau arraigned the Senate President before the Code of Conduct Tribunal for alleged false asset declaration.

The House had argued that a political solution could save the country the heat generated in the polity by Saraki’s trial at the CCT.

It also claimed that a matter affecting the National Assembly could indirectly be a threat to democracy.

Part of the resolution reads, “The House mandates the leadership of the House to meet with the President with a view to politically resolving all outstanding issues relating to National Assembly in the interest of Nigerians.

“Mandate the speaker to intervene in the present issues and challenges being faced by the Chairman of the National Assembly (Saraki) with a view to finding a political solution and protecting the institution of the National Assembly as a whole for the interest of our democracy.”

When contacted for comments, the Chairman, House Ad hoc Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Mr. Sani Zoro, said he could not confirm whether there would be a meeting between Buhari and Dogara.

Zoro claimed to have made efforts to reach the speaker but could not because of a meeting of the leadership of the House being held as of 4.44pm when he spoke with The PUNCH.

However, he admitted that Dogara was “eminently placed” to mediate in the issue since his position had not been “called to question by any authority as we speak.”

He added, “While I cannot confirm immediately whether there will be a meeting tonight between Mr. President and the Speaker, I will quickly say that the speaker has been involved in several reconciliation meetings within the party (All Progressives Congress) and other levels.

“It was not by mistake that the House mandated him to intervene in the current issue affecting the Senate President.

“He has been holding several reconciliation meetings.”

But, another member of Zoro’s committee confided in The PUNCH that he was aware that Dogara planned to meet with Buhari between Monday (yesterday) and Wednesday (tomorrow) over Saraki’s case.

The source said two other meetings, one with Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, and the other with the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr. Babachir Lawal, would precede a meeting with Buhari on Wednesday.

“He will likely meet with the VP and the SGF on Tuesday (today) before another leg of meeting with Buhari on Wednesday,” the source stated.

Buhari had said that his relationship with Saraki would be determined by the outcome of his trial by the CCT.

However, the two top officials of the government were photographed on Thursday last week at an event marking the 55th Independence anniversary of the country as they laughed and bantered.

The photograph was said to be intended to portray the two as officials who had no scores to settle.

Buhari and Saraki are said not to have held any official meeting to discuss matters of state since the latter emerged as the President of the 8th Senate on June 9 against the preferred choice of the APC, Senator Ahmad Lawan.

The current peace move being spearheaded by Dogara is coming amid the screening of Buhari’s ministerial nominees by the Senate, beginning anytime from Tuesday (today).

Saraki had on Wednesday last week confirmed the receipt of the letter containing the names of the nominees but noted that the letter would be opened at plenary on Tuesday.

With Saraki in charge of affairs, there are concerns in some quarters that the Senate President may seize the opportunity to take his pound of flesh by influencing senators to reject a number of the nominees.

http://www.punchng.com/news/buhari-dogara-meet-over-sarakis-trial/

una no go taya with this Saraki wahala undecidedundecided

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by Jorussia(m): 6:38am On Oct 06, 2015
.pmb should not dare interfere in the trial of saraki,else,he loses the support of majority of Nigerians. saraki pleaded not guilty at the CCT,so let him go and defend himself.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by frankyychiji(f): 6:41am On Oct 06, 2015
Crucify him!! Crucify him!! Crucify him!!!
so says modath and her co-travellers!
When Saraki destroyed his former party the Pdp to hoist the flag of Apc, modath and her co-travellers all hailed him to high heavens!
They surrendered the Party machinery in kwara to him at the expense of people like Belgore who had been with them all along. Saraki in return used his clout to win elections for Apc in his kwara state!
After the victory of Apc, Saraki who risked his comfort zone to join Apc demanded an opportunity to serve his fatherland as a senate president but this quest fell on the wrong mood of the godfathers in Apc. At the end of it all, a constitutional process took place and Saraki became the SP! Since then, Saraki became a devil for daring to uphold the tenets of democracy as enshrined in the supreme constitution of Nigeria!

Political solution or not, Saraki is going to come out tops in all his travails. We are watching.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by modath(f): 7:27am On Oct 06, 2015
frankyychiji:
Crucify him!! Crucify him!! Crucify him!!!
so says modath and her co-travellers!
When Saraki destroyed his former party the Pdp to hoist the flag of Apc, modath and her co-travellers all hailed him to high heavens!
They surrendered the Party machinery in kwara to him at the expense of people like Belgore who had been with them all along. Saraki in return used his clout to win elections for Apc in his kwara state!
After the victory of Apc, Saraki who risked his comfort zone to join Apc demanded an opportunity to serve his fatherland as a senate president but this quest fell on the wrong mood of the godfathers in Apc. At the end of it all, a constitutional process took place and Saraki became the SP! Since then, Saraki became a devil for daring to uphold the tenets of democracy as enshrined in the supreme constitution of Nigeria!

Political solution or not, Saraki is going to come out tops in all his travails. We are watching.

Sorry to burst your bubble , i am not a Party person.....

I am a 3 star general of the PMB army though & since it is impossible in the Nigerian constitution to run as an independent, i'll agree that I'm sympathetic to APC just as i was when he was in CPC & ANPP.

If you say a process that involved Saraki sneaking into the NASS complex stashed in the trunk of an hatch back car is cool with you, fine... There is no morality in legal process...

Then you should not cry witch hunt of another purely LEGAL PROCESS.....

BTW....Dont bother to say it, i'll help you... I an an hausa slave, i am an unbeliever, i am a sycophant , i am an hypocrite.......... Fill in more as it comes to mind, but one thing you can't take away is;

I AM A PATRIOT ...... Bye & don't forget to watch Rotimi & Raji take their respective bow...

PMB-23..

15 Likes

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by ERODEDEAST(f): 7:31am On Oct 06, 2015
I just need the name of a Politician who's not Corrupt.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by ziky2010(m): 7:36am On Oct 06, 2015
Whether they like it or not,Saraki must go

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by Dahveydson(m): 7:43am On Oct 06, 2015
No sacred cows.

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by dave2meek(m): 7:43am On Oct 06, 2015
grin
Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by coldsummer: 7:45am On Oct 06, 2015
Even though I don't support the crisis rocking the NAS now, i think saraki set himself up.

Again, his romance with PDP will be his greatest undoing. David mark spares No one when it comes to his quest for power. He's that dangerous. Mark won't mind fermenting trouble underground, destroying him to return as Senate president again.

Wish him luck

4 Likes

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by kulobyno: 7:45am On Oct 06, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by iambabaG: 7:45am On Oct 06, 2015
He has no right or power 2 interfere in a "judicial qwanta".. But y is Saraki looking for presidential intervention; all dis shady politician should be flushed outta d system.
PMB.. Ur intergrity is on d line, if u make any stupid interssion.. Ur rep will be destroyed FOREVER!!
Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by laurel03(m): 7:45am On Oct 06, 2015
9ja politicians don start again... Wetin be reconciliation meeting again... Let him go and face the CCT and the outcome will determine either he deserve d SP or not...
Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by cymidas(m): 7:51am On Oct 06, 2015
Who cares. Na still dem dem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by free2ryhme: 7:55am On Oct 06, 2015
Dogarat can go along with Saraki too! We are so tired of these backroom deals that don't benefit the country. Buhari has already said he cannot interfere because it could lead to his impeachment, and we take him at his word.

If the NASS think that they cam blackmail the President, I urge them to try and see.
Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by free2ryhme: 7:56am On Oct 06, 2015
angry
Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by ALISMILE(m): 7:56am On Oct 06, 2015
These pple want to rubbish d anti corruption war of Mr President!why do we ve too many criminals in politics? Instead of Nig youths to come in by organising mass protest in support of d trial they busy collecting #1000 and protesting in support of Saraki! Wit dis kind of pple around dis country is doomed!
Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by manmind: 8:01am On Oct 06, 2015
My main man
Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by badex007: 8:02am On Oct 06, 2015
Let us wait n c.
Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by mkpese1(m): 8:02am On Oct 06, 2015
d owl is watching this.
Re: Buhari, Dogara Meet Over Saraki’s Trial by frankyychiji(f): 8:05am On Oct 06, 2015
modath:

Sorry to burst your bubble , i am not a Party person.....

I am a 3 star general of the PMB army though & since it is impossible in the Nigerian constitution to run as an independent, i'll agree that I'm sympathetic to APC just as i was when he was in CPC & ANPP.

If you say a process that involved Saraki sneaking into the NASS complex stashed in the boot of an hatch back car is cool with you, fine... There is no morality in legal process...

Then you should not cry witch hunt of another purely LEGAL PROCESS.....

BTW....Dont bother to say it, i'll help you... I an an hausa slave, i am an unbeliever, i am a sycophant , i am an hypocrite.......... Fill in more as it comes to mind, but one thing you can't take away is;

I AM A PATRIOT ...... Bye & don't forget to watch Rotimi & Raji take their bows

PMB-23..

Lolzzz...spare me your hysteria modath. You can be a slave or wailer or masturbator or even Buharis wife if you wish, these are not the crux of the matter under review. A constitutional process took place and Saraki became SP. Since then, neither the godfather, godson, god-daughter or godchild in Apc has slept. cheesy
You see modath, another constitutional process is taking place, why not wait for Saraki to have his day in court before adjudging him guilty? Why the media prosecution? I will say it again though it is common knowledge that Apc was not prepared for governance but were preparing for bloody legal tussle with the ruling PDP. cheesy

When Jonathan conceded defeat to Buhari, it therefore came as a big surprise to you and your co-travellers but once again, because you were not ready for governance, 3months wasn't enough for you to sit down together and agree on the way forward cheesy
I lol when Joe Igbokwe cried out that Sarakis ambition made them look unprepared for governance, but that was just the real situation.

And don't you be going around trying to make yourself a noncommissioned army officer of Buhari's so called anti corruption campaign while embracing fashola whose successor has already tipped the world of the stench in fasholas administration cheesy
Amaechi is a known thief whether he takes a bow or not notwithstanding.
Abacha is not corrupt and so is PMB. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

NNPC Flowstation Shut Down In Delta By Angry Indigenes (Photo) / “FG Must Act Now!”, Nigerian Gov. On Xenophobic Attacks In South Africa / Lagos And Ogun Launch Joint Development Commission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.