Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,385 members, 7,808,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:57 AM

My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 (42556 Views)

Entry-level Jobs At Pricewaterhousecoopers (pwc) - 12 October, 2015 / Eleganza Industries Limited Job Recruitment, October 2015 / Ikeja Electricity Distribution Plc Fresh Job Recruitment - 6th October, 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by bellville: 11:01pm On Oct 06, 2015
@op. You did well at the interview. You're quite brilliant. Don't let their attitude discourage you. They may even call you for the job though I would have preferred you get into mainstream banking instead of contract.

Shop for books online. Check my signature.

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by deetomee: 11:03pm On Oct 06, 2015
I can't remember the last time I laughed uncontrollablly while reading a piece at the same time. Jesù! The OP is clown....

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Olayinka8793(m): 11:07pm On Oct 06, 2015

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by nameoh: 11:07pm On Oct 06, 2015
Guy dont worry, just wait for u to be called. As long as u are sure that ur answers were right.
What dey did is a type of interview. Also as long as u remained calm, then all is ok.
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by ugoc(m): 11:09pm On Oct 06, 2015
Valendo:
It baffles me why our graduates like to waste their precious time. Why is it that people don't struggle to set up a business or a system that can give them a lot of money. Listen my brother formal education will give you a cheque while self education will earn you a fortune. Stop wasting your time, not even for a job you can be sacked at any time. There are numerous opportunities out there that can make you rich and certainly its not paid employment. So please my dear brothers and sisters think beyond this contract job. One problem I know majority of our youth face today is this "quick rich" thing. Believe me if you can think very well you will understand that its only a matter of time, you will say thank God you were not given any employment letter because most of the jobs out there are total slavery. I have ideas that can make you rich. Feel free to ask me. All of us can do better than this please. I look forward to a day banks will start begging people to work for them. This is possible if only we could think outside the box.
ugo4real05@yahoo.co.uk....please i need such information because i don't want to work for someone....thanks

3 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by moseshola(m): 11:11pm On Oct 06, 2015
I can bet you, you got that job. Your interviewers knew what they were doing. They knew you are intelligent but wanted to test your patience and other qualities. Congrats bro.

4 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by xamiel4(m): 11:12pm On Oct 06, 2015
Valendo:
It baffles me why our graduates like to waste their precious time. Why is it that people don't struggle to set up a business or a system that can give them a lot of money. Listen my brother formal education will give you a cheque while self education will earn you a fortune. Stop wasting your time, not even for a job you can be sacked at any time. There are numerous opportunities out there that can make you rich and certainly its not paid employment. So please my dear brothers and sisters think beyond this contract job. One problem I know majority of our youth face today is this "quick rich" thing. Believe me if you can think very well you will understand that its only a matter of time, you will say thank God you were not given any employment letter because most of the jobs out there are total slavery. I have ideas that can make you rich. Feel free to ask me. All of us can do better than this please. I look forward to a day banks will start begging people to work for them. This is possible if only we could think outside the box.
you wey dey talk . You don start your own business?

3 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by AkwaIbomrep1: 11:15pm On Oct 06, 2015
espionagesavvy:
A top recruitment agency was recruiting for the bank at enugu. I arrived at the venue very early and sat in a small room with the few persons that had arrived, after a while people trickled in until the room was filled and the seats fully occupied, people had to stay outside, when the time for the interview was upon us, one of the officials of the recruitment agency came and addressed us about the importance of marketing to the bank, our careers, and to us as young people ( we didn't apply for marketing position, they didn't inform us on the role we would be interviewed for nor the name of the bank). The very funny stuff was that the job seekers were all in suit, sweating profusely, but none could muster the courage to put on the ceiling fan, when I asked the man closest to the switch to do so, he simply replied, "o boy u no get leg to waka go put am"

The interview.

This was my first interview, so I was a little nervous but excited, I had nothing to lose, they either accept me or reject me, I told myself people go to war and they don't shit their pants, I was just going to face a human not a tiger and have a constructive talk with the person. Names where been called, I didn't want to seat, I stood outside the room with some very nervous ladies and gents and they really appeared nerve wrecked, jittering and scared, I decided that I would not appear frightened, and that was the mistake I made..
It got to my turn, I walked into the office and faced my nemesis, my interviewer sparked

" MR Man who told you to enter in the first place, you are supposed to stand in the doorway until I give you permission to enter"

I apologized immediately and was asked to sit and then hand my cv over.

The first question, "mr man, what is your name" Sir my name is Ambrose ochuko

"Tell me about yourself"

I had practiced this question numerous times, so I was really eloquent. He laughed after I was done, and said " oboy you cram this thing". No sir I didn't, I had prepared myself for this question and the likes sir, I prepared myself for the interview Sir..

So you said you were the best in your class right? Yes sir I replied.

"What course?" International studies and diplomacy sir,

He laughed again, "you have entered my trap because I would ask you difficult questions and you are expected to give me the correct not near correct answers.

Tell me about the foreign policy of obasanjos government in 2000."

Sir, nigeria during the regime of general sani abacha from 1993 to 1998 was regarded as a pariah state, obasanjo tried to reintroduce nigeria as a responsible member of the global committee of nations and....

"stop there, you are speaking Grammer for me, what is pariah, eh..".

pariah sir is..."

shut up, I know it..

"You have failed that one" but sir I protested, "see i won't argue with you, continue speaking Grammer, I liked this, he said with a very ominous laughter, the lady sitting with him joined in the laughter, I felt weak..

"Your next question is tell me the origin of the igbos?"

No problem sir, I started, the igbos originate from the volta congo region in africa, they..

"wait there is that it, are you sure you did your african history well, university of Benin abi, are you sure you even graduated"...
Is that the only origin of the igbo race,

sir, there are traditions of origins which postulate that the igbos are from Israel and also another which say that the progenitor of the igbo people came from the sky, but these are just hemitic hypotesis and the latter is just untrue,

" who told you that the igbos are not from Israel eh, you don't have the right to say that, what do you think you know" I just tire..

Em, he turned to the lady and asked if she had any questions for me, to which the lady looked at me as if I was fart or even poo, a demeaning look with a laughter replied, Abegi no questions.

"Well what can someone who studied international studies and diplomacy do in a bank sef" Sir I began, international stu... "I have heard you, you can now go, we will get back to you..

I was disappointed not that I knew I had lost the job, but the total disregard of professionalism the recruiting office displayed. So if i may advise you, if you are seeking a job opportunity, don't appear confident, simply be downbeat and downtrodden. My first job interview was a total disaster but I learned valuable lessons from the episode.
the main Iisraelites are Akwa ibom /Cross river I don't know about others...in other news...''invest in Akwa ibom ''
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by danny34(m): 11:16pm On Oct 06, 2015
espionagesavvy:
A top recruitment agency was recruiting for the bank at enugu. I arrived at the venue very early and sat in a small room with the few persons that had arrived, after a while people trickled in until the room was filled and the seats fully occupied, people had to stay outside, when the time for the interview was upon us, one of the officials of the recruitment agency came and addressed us about the importance of marketing to the bank, our careers, and to us as young people ( we didn't apply for marketing position, they didn't inform us on the role we would be interviewed for nor the name of the bank). The very funny stuff was that the job seekers were all in suit, sweating profusely, but none could muster the courage to put on the ceiling fan, when I asked the man closest to the switch to do so, he simply replied, "o boy u no get leg to waka go put am"

The interview.

This was my first interview, so I was a little nervous but excited, I had nothing to lose, they either accept me or reject me, I told myself people go to war and they don't shit their pants, I was just going to face a human not a tiger and have a constructive talk with the person. Names where been called, I didn't want to seat, I stood outside the room with some very nervous ladies and gents and they really appeared nerve wrecked, jittering and scared, I decided that I would not appear frightened, and that was the mistake I made..
It got to my turn, I walked into the office and faced my nemesis, my interviewer sparked

" MR Man who told you to enter in the first place, you are supposed to stand in the doorway until I give you permission to enter"

"Tell me about yourself"

I had practiced this question numerous times, so I was really eloquent. He laughed after I was done, and said " oboy you cram this thing". No sir I didn't, I had prepared myself for this question and the likes sir, I prepared myself for the interview Sir..

He laughed again, "you have entered my trap because I would ask you difficult questions and you are expected to give me the correct not near correct answers.

Sir, nigeria during the regime of general sani abacha from 1993 to 1998 was regarded as a pariah state, obasanjo tried to reintroduce nigeria as a responsible member of the global committee of nations and....

pariah sir is..."

shut up, I know it..

"You have failed that one" but sir I protested, "see i won't argue with you, continue speaking Grammer, I liked this, he said with a very ominous laughter, the lady sitting with him joined in the laughter, I felt weak..

No problem sir, I started, the igbos originate from the volta congo region in africa, they..

"wait there is that it, are you sure you did your african history well, university of Benin abi, are you sure you even graduated"...

sir, there are traditions of origins which postulate that the igbos are from Israel and also another which say that the progenitor of the igbo people came from the sky, but these are just hemitic hypotesis and the latter is just untrue,

" who told you that the igbos are not from Israel eh, you don't have the right to say that, what do you think you know" I just tire..

Em, he turned to the lady and asked if she had any questions for me, to which the lady looked at me as if I was fart or even poo, a demeaning look with a laughter replied, Abegi no questions.

"Well what can someone who studied international studies and diplomacy do in a bank sef" Sir I began, international stu... "I have heard you, you can now go, we will get back to you..

I was disappointed not that I knew I had lost the job, but the total disregard of professionalism the recruiting office displayed. So if i may advise you, if you are seeking a job opportunity, don't appear confident, simply be downbeat and downtrodden. My first job interview was a total disaster but I learned valuable lessons from the episode.

Let me start by saying that you didn't do any thing wrong appearing confident in that interview. The problem was the first impression you created. There is a saying that " there is no second chance in making the first impression ". You walked in and took a seat.. That was a no no no. Courtesy demands you wait and be asked to seat. Guess, they felt you were proud.

But your interviewers were rude, lacked professionalism and ethics. They felt you carried your shoulder too high.

The job is a marketing one contract staff job. That was why it was outsourced.

Finally, don't argue with and interviewer. When going for an interview, be calm, compoused and put on a smile. Be confident but don't appear proud.

Next time, be confident and approach any interview..... My one kobo

2 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Amustical(m): 11:17pm On Oct 06, 2015
Pls am ready for your advice. amuwaoluwaseunfunmi@gmail.com
Valendo:
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by nextedge: 11:18pm On Oct 06, 2015
Hahahaha. How else do you want the interviewers to know you can cope with stress and difficult customers? I can wager you'll get the job except there's none In the first instance. You come across as one confident dude. If I have a job to give, you will have it.

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by lexxwiz(m): 11:20pm On Oct 06, 2015
Valendo:
hello, you mentioned ideas?? I'm Interested lexxwiz@yahoo.com
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by magicminister: 11:22pm On Oct 06, 2015
really?
if a so called recruiter wastes my time in such a distasteful manner, i would raise hell in that place.
Even if i am unemployed and starving, i still have my pride and sense of belonging.
The moment they asked you "the origin of igbo race"was the opportunity for you to feed them their own shiittt...

Guy u missed an opportunity to put those fool in their place!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by AmakaDNBStories(f): 11:23pm On Oct 06, 2015
grin

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Nobody: 11:23pm On Oct 06, 2015
espionagesavvy:

The interview.

"Tell me about yourself"

pariah sir is..."

shut up, I know it..

This is likely a scam "recruitment". No bank will outsource their recruitment to this kind of outfit.

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by tonychristopher: 11:24pm On Oct 06, 2015
You will grow in this ..your confidence will improve and as you get a job your desperation will less

I have gone to an interview in a multi national firm that was last few years r the lady wanted to blab.. They just called like 6 of us ..wel it wasnt an interview per say just to brief us based on experience and what to be expected of us

The firm is an Indian firm and I vowed never to work for any Indian ..never knew when I came into the firm I started seeing Indians and this garlic insesne smell .they called me up...the guys that went there said that the lady interviewing them is nasty

Made up my mind to give her my own..trust me Igbo guy...confidence oozing ..when she said that they will employ me and pay me something funny that I should bring so so sales for them that I should make sure that my team makes upto 50mil sales

I looked at here I laughed and I told her that I am not just interested in that job that she should give it to her husband

She was amazed...I am not desperate not even Indian jobs

Don't worry bro

6 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by initialize(m): 11:24pm On Oct 06, 2015

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Valendo: 11:26pm On Oct 06, 2015
I think we don't have to allow employers determine our future anymore. The whole essence goes down to personally development. I can tell you that majority of us here have not open any book since we graduated from the university. Now what we need is self education. I will repeat again we all need to get out of our comfort zone because life begins outside the comfort zone. If you can't make your next six months better than your last six then there is a trouble. It shows you are not developing. One thing I want to share with you all is for you to learn how to read meanings to numbers and make use of law of average to your advantage. God bless

4 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by October1960: 11:33pm On Oct 06, 2015
The quote below is the truth and the whole truth!

Valendo:
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Nobody: 11:34pm On Oct 06, 2015
Valendo:
Mr man how can somebody that doesn't have money start a business, it is always easy said than done, to start a business you need money to invest, it is only people with handwork that did not need money to start business, e.g interior decoration, online marketing, fashion design etc, the reason why many youth could not venture into business is because of lack of capital to start, I am a business man, I know what it takes to nurture a business in Nigeria where there is no electricity,multiple taxation, high cost of shops, it is on record that 3 out 5 businesses in Nigeria pack up after few years because of all this. You will end up selling your EBook to those dropping their Email and run away

10 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Nobody: 11:38pm On Oct 06, 2015
I felt both pained and slightly amused reading this.

The skewed direction the interview took wasn't about you honey, it was about your interviewers. Don't let what they did chip at your confidence. They both have issues to deal with, not you.

smiley

3 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Valendo: 11:44pm On Oct 06, 2015
Rayhut:

Mr man how can somebody that doesn't have money start a business, it is always easy said than done, to start a business you need money to invest, it is only people with handwork that did not need money to start business, e.g interior decoration, online marketing, fashion design etc, the reason why many youth could not venture into business is because of lack of capital to start, I am a business man, I know what it takes to nurture a business in Nigeria where there is no electricity,multiple taxation, high cost of shops, it is on record that 3 out 5 businesses in Nigeria pack up after few years because of all this. You will end up selling your EBook to those dropping their Email and run away
You see this is where the problem is. "I know this already". Who says you should buy E books? I started my first business at home with little or no capital. My dear its all about Patience

2 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by October1960: 11:46pm On Oct 06, 2015
Well done my brother. Working for Indians is worse than slavery. There are MANY other choices out there than to settle for their nonsense in our own country.

tonychristopher:
You will grow in this ..your confidence will improve and as you get a job your desperation will less

I have gone to an interview in a multi national firm that was last year the lady wanted to blab.. They just called like 6 of us ..wel it wasnt an interview per say just to brief us based on experience and what to be expected of us

The firm is an Indian firm and I vowed never to work for any Indian ..never knew when I came into the firm I started seeing Indians and this garlic insesne smell .they called me up...the guys that went there said that the lady interviewing them is nasty

Made up my mind to give her my own..trust me Igbo guy...confidence oozing ..when she said that they will employ me and pay me something funny that I should bring so so sales for them that I should make sure that my team makes upto 50mil sales

I looked at here I laughed and I told her that I am not just interested in that job that she should give it to her husband

She was amazed...I am not desperate not even Indian jobs

Don't worry bro
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Nobody: 11:47pm On Oct 06, 2015
You didn't do anything wrong, your interviewers were just a bunch of unprofessional assholes. Tell me to 'shut up' just because you are interviewing me..I will slam your stapler on your head and leave the office. Nonsense

3 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Nobody: 11:51pm On Oct 06, 2015
Valendo:
GBAM! One trillion likes

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Inspectahdeck(m): 11:52pm On Oct 06, 2015
Your interviewers where so unprofessional in their conduct and towards you as a person which is quite degrading and frustrating.

The interview position was marketing (even if you where not informed) thus the mode of the interview. I think they tried to test your confidence and how composed you will be under pressure but in a very hash manner.

Finally, marketing is crazy and I swear you will meet a lot of this behaviour on the field of work. Clients will rubbish marketers especially potential clients.

My opinion, go to interview confident and equipped with adequate knowledge, sometimes that's a criteria for the position (such as marketing).

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by tonychristopher: 12:00am On Oct 07, 2015
October1960:
Well done my brother. Working for Indians is worse than slavery. There are MANY other choices out there than to settle for their nonsense in our own country.

I just can't work for them never did and by the grace of GOD won't work for em
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Softhands(m): 12:01am On Oct 07, 2015
Valendo:
Boss I will like you to please share some bizness ideas here. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by d33types: 12:03am On Oct 07, 2015
Error/ignore
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by d33types: 12:03am On Oct 07, 2015
Valendo:

Thumbs up..but I disagree a little sir..
Not everybody can be an entrepreneur or is even cut out to be one..
Personally everyone should discover themselves and work with already designed frameworks suitable for their personality types..

Yes it's a good way to become rich..but in the developed countries it might not work that way..
For instance, a trained teacher who has great passion for educating ,will not be a good teacher except he/she works under already established system before delving into his own schooling..

NB; I'm not taking into consideration those that are entrepreneurs in area they don't have formal training in e.g. Me

5 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by tonychristopher: 12:04am On Oct 07, 2015
Rayhut:

Bro if you have ideas money will come once there is a will there is a way

But one has to work or understudy a proffesion so as not to get his hand burnt when on a self employment

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by darmochy1(m): 12:04am On Oct 07, 2015
OP, I won't agree with your conclusion and that is appearing downtrodden. Your scenario simply indicated complete lack of professionalism on the part of the interviewers.

Appear confident but not pompous. Don't act as if you know more than the interviwer(s) (even if you do).

I guess they started having problem with you when you went in before being asked to. You need to knock on the door, then wait for them to ask you in before proceeding.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Are The Consequences Of Working With Fake Certificates? / All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! / 9mobile Is Currently Recruiting – Apply Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.