Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:15 PM

My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 (42557 Views)

Entry-level Jobs At Pricewaterhousecoopers (pwc) - 12 October, 2015 / Eleganza Industries Limited Job Recruitment, October 2015 / Ikeja Electricity Distribution Plc Fresh Job Recruitment - 6th October, 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Zuris: 7:31am On Oct 07, 2015
You did very well in the interview.
Don't let one episode deprive you of your confidence in subsequent interviews.
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Nobody: 7:34am On Oct 07, 2015
mupre:
Sorry to say, but the panel guys were so funny, I kept laughing while reading your post.
My candid opinion, you did very well in the interview, even your composure and confident level should also add to your grade.
I think they only did that to pull your legs, and see how you can withstand pressure in the banking job, especially when dealing with an irate customer.
You are the best student, so dey knew you had the answers to d questions, Dats y dey kept cutting you, just want to hear your response first.
People have faced worse interview than yours and dey still got the job, as far as you were able to convince them your good.

My thoughts exactly.

@OP. Lmao. Those interviewers are the bomb. I think they were just pulling ur legs. In a different setting they'd sure sound very professional. Since its a marketing job and it involves talking to and convincing people, they wanted to see how u'll possibly interact with ur 'marketees', especially when the latter are trying to sound like azzholes.
U did ur best. And pls don't appear downtrodden in ur next interview
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by prettyjay(f): 7:39am On Oct 07, 2015
Valendo:
It baffles me why our graduates like to waste their precious time. Why is it that people don't struggle to set up a business or a system that can give them a lot of money. Listen my brother formal education will give you a cheque while self education will earn you a fortune. Stop wasting your time, not even for a job you can be sacked at any time. There are numerous opportunities out there that can make you rich and certainly its not paid employment. So please my dear brothers and sisters think beyond this contract job. One problem I know majority of our youth face today is this "quick rich" thing. Believe me if you can think very well you will understand that its only a matter of time, you will say thank God you were not given any employment letter because most of the jobs out there are total slavery. I have ideas that can make you rich. Feel free to ask me. All of us can do better than this please. I look forward to a day banks will start begging people to work for them. This is possible if only we could think outside the box.
nancee4reality@yahoo.com
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 07, 2015
benedima1990:

Wow!!!

Well said Mr man, in fact I love every part of your article, it's so motivating and inspiring but I have a problem with people that gives advice of this nature which am so sure yiu can't be exceptional. " do what I say and not what I do"

If only you can tell us little about yourself, how you started your own business and how booming it is now then I might follow suit

Don't mind that guy. Pple like that do not have any tangible business. I guess he's one of those who sell e-books or is into networking or GNLD-like schemes. Not like networking is bad but I don't like how they go abt castigating salary jobs as if they're doing any better.
At the end of the day, its all abt exchanging value for money whether its salary job or business or whatever.

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Nobody: 7:48am On Oct 07, 2015
Aseneshii:
If I were you, I will not finish that interview, they lack professionalism, I wouldn't allowed people with low I.q interview me.

trust me, i am with you on this.
I wont even take half of that crap.

on the second interruption, i am going to ask "sir, is it possible to answer your question without being interrupted?"
if their attitude still did not change, then "i want to politely request that we end this interview"
if they ask why?
my reason will be "I believe i have the rights to end this interview, right?"
if they say yes
"then lets call it a day." all this wearing that confident look.

if they can throw professionalism away, be ready to deal with more.
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by LastProphet: 7:55am On Oct 07, 2015
nellytivities:
Op, you were not interviewed by fools. They just simply wanted to check your composure and how confident you can be. And from what you gave us here, you did well.
Do not advise people to go into an office for an interview looking all shaky, you'll lose that opportunity.
In my opinion, You did well and you will be called.

best advice
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by kingslayer(m): 7:57am On Oct 07, 2015
@valendo,I'd be grateful.if u can share some of your ideas with a brother,I'm a fresh graduate but hanks
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by ibedun: 7:59am On Oct 07, 2015
tonychristopher:
You will grow in this ..your confidence will improve and as you get a job your desperation will less

I have gone to an interview in a multi national firm that was last few years r the lady wanted to blab.. They just called like 6 of us ..wel it wasnt an interview per say just to brief us based on experience and what to be expected of us

The firm is an Indian firm and I vowed never to work for any Indian ..never knew when I came into the firm I started seeing Indians and this garlic insesne smell .they called me up...the guys that went there said that the lady interviewing them is nasty

Made up my mind to give her my own..trust me Igbo guy...confidence oozing ..when she said that they will employ me and pay me something funny that I should bring so so sales for them that I should make sure that my team makes upto 50mil sales

I looked at here I laughed and I told her that I am not just interested in that job that she should give it to her husband

She was amazed...I am not desperate not even Indian jobs

Don't worry bro

Multinational Indian firm? Bloody onyeberiebe!

So your career is anchored on jobs in the Indian sector yet you are currently buying up Lagos including my ancestor's grave. Not forgetting that you developed Lagos as well o? I bet you house your wife and kids in a single room or at a room and parlour self contain (somewhere in Ipaja or Ikotun). Probably your rent is not even up to date?

These mouthy chest beater! I will expose your lying flat/head in the politics section. Did you say feed me? Pay my drivers' salaries for just 3 months and I will accord you some dignity. Were, opu to, omo Ibo.
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by sambiyi(m): 8:01am On Oct 07, 2015
Carmal90:

Pls am listening to the advice that can enrich me sir...carmallaide@gmail.com

Pls my mail also ooo.
O am a graduate Serving presently
Psoluwabiyi@gmail.com
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by MrLouisVanGaal1: 8:03am On Oct 07, 2015
We keep jumping after these jobs and keep making these employers feel like angels. Many of us graduates are better than these people, we just aren't doing enough with ourselves, that is why we are subject to them. If you wake up and take a decision not to be insulted and disgraced in this manner all for a slave-like job, then you would have successfully set yourself free and paved the way to true self discovery and uplifment. Many people want to find better ways of seeking financial stability in life rather than begging and crawling to these wicked employers. Here is one. The brilliantlightsmedia fiverr training programme.

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by WoodcrestMayor(m): 8:03am On Oct 07, 2015
Guy,thank your stars u didnt get the job.It's most likely a contract/non core position u were called for.

I wont talk much...u work in one as a core staff so i see what non core staff go thru.Even the core staff dont have it easy but they console themselves with the pay.

You just finished skool and u did intl studies and diplomacy.Why dont u learn a foreign language to a level of proficiency?

See attached pix...peace be unto you wink wink smiley
[/quote]
[quote author=espionagesavvy post=38732584]

I was disappointed not that I knew I had lost the job, but the total disregard of professionalism the recruiting office displayed. So if i may advise you, if you are seeking a job opportunity, don't appear confident, simply be downbeat and downtrodden. My first job interview was a total disaster but I learned valuable lessons from the episode.

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by skytanics(m): 8:05am On Oct 07, 2015
THEY ARE JUST PULLING YOUR LEGS....YOU HAVE GOTTEN THE JOB. CONGRATS..
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by upuphim(m): 8:05am On Oct 07, 2015
@Op you did nothing wrong. Confidence is required in interview and not nervousness. Keep your calm for your destined job will soon come with easy interview.
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by NasNation(m): 8:08am On Oct 07, 2015
espionagesavvy:
A top recruitment agency was recruiting for the bank at enugu. I arrived at the venue very early and sat in a small room with the few persons that had arrived, after a while people trickled in until the room was filled and the seats fully occupied, people had to stay outside, when the time for the interview was upon us, one of the officials of the recruitment agency came and addressed us about the importance of marketing to the bank, our careers, and to us as young people ( we didn't apply for marketing position, they didn't inform us on the role we would be interviewed for nor the name of the bank). The very funny stuff was that the job seekers were all in suit, sweating profusely, but none could muster the courage to put on the ceiling fan, when I asked the man closest to the switch to do so, he simply replied, "o boy u no get leg to waka go put am"

The interview.

This was my first interview, so I was a little nervous but excited, I had nothing to lose, they either accept me or reject me, I told myself people go to war and they don't shit their pants, I was just going to face a human not a tiger and have a constructive talk with the person. Names where been called, I didn't want to seat, I stood outside the room with some very nervous ladies and gents and they really appeared nerve wrecked, jittering and scared, I decided that I would not appear frightened, and that was the mistake I made..
It got to my turn, I walked into the office and faced my nemesis, my interviewer sparked

" MR Man who told you to enter in the first place, you are supposed to stand in the doorway until I give you permission to enter"

I apologized immediately and was asked to sit and then hand my cv over.

The first question, "mr man, what is your name" Sir my name is Ambrose ochuko

"Tell me about yourself"

I had practiced this question numerous times, so I was really eloquent. He laughed after I was done, and said " oboy you cram this thing". No sir I didn't, I had prepared myself for this question and the likes sir, I prepared myself for the interview Sir..

So you said you were the best in your class right? Yes sir I replied.

"What course?" International studies and diplomacy sir,

He laughed again, "you have entered my trap because I would ask you difficult questions and you are expected to give me the correct not near correct answers.

Tell me about the foreign policy of obasanjos government in 2000."

Sir, nigeria during the regime of general sani abacha from 1993 to 1998 was regarded as a pariah state, obasanjo tried to reintroduce nigeria as a responsible member of the global committee of nations and....

"stop there, you are speaking Grammer for me, what is pariah, eh..".

pariah sir is..."

shut up, I know it..

"You have failed that one" but sir I protested, "see i won't argue with you, continue speaking Grammer, I liked this, he said with a very ominous laughter, the lady sitting with him joined in the laughter, I felt weak..

"Your next question is tell me the origin of the igbos?"

No problem sir, I started, the igbos originate from the volta congo region in africa, they..

"wait there is that it, are you sure you did your african history well, university of Benin abi, are you sure you even graduated"...
Is that the only origin of the igbo race,

sir, there are traditions of origins which postulate that the igbos are from Israel and also another which say that the progenitor of the igbo people came from the sky, but these are just hemitic hypotesis and the latter is just untrue,

" who told you that the igbos are not from Israel eh, you don't have the right to say that, what do you think you know" I just tire..

Em, he turned to the lady and asked if she had any questions for me, to which the lady looked at me as if I was fart or even poo, a demeaning look with a laughter replied, Abegi no questions.

"Well what can someone who studied international studies and diplomacy do in a bank sef" Sir I began, international stu... "I have heard you, you can now go, we will get back to you..

I was disappointed not that I knew I had lost the job, but the total disregard of professionalism the recruiting office displayed. So if i may advise you, if you are seeking a job opportunity, don't appear confident, simply be downbeat and downtrodden. My first job interview was a total disaster but I learned valuable lessons from the episode.
Bros you re really a comedian,see as u tk explain am,its gud @least we also learnt 4rm it...
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by morbeta(m): 8:14am On Oct 07, 2015
Op you did very well, someone adviced that you shld look inwards and make use of the treasure buried inside of you, i concur 100%. After my graduation in 2003, i was priviledged to work for a Senator who never gave me a dime but impacted me with basics of suvival unknowly. I discovered that most of these politician are clever businessmen. I was clam i learnt alot from him. Today i have my very own firm. We are licenced miners of Precious stones(Diamondan Gold) in Sierra leone and Ghana. We also into real estate in Lekki area of Lagos. There is a gaint in you, do be discouraged.
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by morbeta(m): 8:14am On Oct 07, 2015
Op you did very well, someone adviced that you shld look inwards and make use of the treasure buried inside of you, i concur 100%. After my graduation in 2003, i was priviledged to work for a Senator who never gave me a dime but impacted me with basics of suvival unknowly. I discovered that most of these politician are clever businessmen. I was clam i learnt alot from him. Today i have my very own firm. We are licenced miners of Precious stones(Diamond, Gold) in Sierra leone and Ghana. We also into real estate in Lekki area of Lagos. There is a gaint in you, do be discouraged.

2 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Reference(m): 8:16am On Oct 07, 2015
Modern day slavery. Why didn't he ask you when you arrived as a refugee from Syria.
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 07, 2015
Hehe, so much for a bank you don't even know the name yet. What if na microfinance bank??
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by vislabraye(m): 8:19am On Oct 07, 2015
Valendo:
It baffles me why our graduates like to waste their precious time. Why is it that people don't struggle to set up a business or a system that can give them a lot of money. Listen my brother formal education will give you a cheque while self education will earn you a fortune. Stop wasting your time, not even for a job you can be sacked at any time. There are numerous opportunities out there that can make you rich and certainly its not paid employment. So please my dear brothers and sisters think beyond this contract job. One problem I know majority of our youth face today is this "quick rich" thing. Believe me if you can think very well you will understand that its only a matter of time, you will say thank God you were not given any employment letter because most of the jobs out there are total slavery. I have ideas that can make you rich. Feel free to ask me. All of us can do better than this please. I look forward to a day banks will start begging people to work for them. This is possible if only we could think outside the box.

Hmmmm..... . What are your biz ideas ?
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by vislabraye(m): 8:21am On Oct 07, 2015
morbeta:
Op you did very well, someone adviced that you shld look inwards and make use of the treasure buried inside of you, i concur 100%. After my graduation in 2003, i was priviledged to work for a Senator who never gave me a dime but impacted me with basics of suvival unknowly. I discovered that most of these politician are clever businessmen. I was clam i learnt alot from him. Today i have my very own firm. We are licenced miners of Precious stones(Diamond, Gold) in Sierra leone and Ghana. We also into real estate in Lekki area of Lagos. There is a gaint in you, do be discouraged.

How did you get there ? Did you get a loan ?
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by ochardbaby(m): 8:24am On Oct 07, 2015
espionagesavvy:
A top recruitment agency was recruiting for the bank at enugu. I arrived at the venue very early and sat in a small room with the few persons that had arrived, after a while people trickled in until the room was filled and the seats fully occupied, people had to stay outside, when the time for the interview was upon us, one of the officials of the recruitment agency came and addressed us about the importance of marketing to the bank, our careers, and to us as young people ( we didn't apply for marketing position, they didn't inform us on the role we would be interviewed for nor the name of the bank). The very funny stuff was that the job seekers were all in suit, sweating profusely, but none could muster the courage to put on the ceiling fan, when I asked the man closest to the switch to do so, he simply replied, "o boy u no get leg to waka go put am"

The interview.

This was my first interview, so I was a little nervous but excited, I had nothing to lose, they either accept me or reject me, I told myself people go to war and they don't shit their pants, I was just going to face a human not a tiger and have a constructive talk with the person. Names where been called, I didn't want to seat, I stood outside the room with some very nervous ladies and gents and they really appeared nerve wrecked, jittering and scared, I decided that I would not appear frightened, and that was the mistake I made..
It got to my turn, I walked into the office and faced my nemesis, my interviewer sparked

" MR Man who told you to enter in the first place, you are supposed to stand in the doorway until I give you permission to enter"

I apologized immediately and was asked to sit and then hand my cv over.

The first question, "mr man, what is your name" Sir my name is Ambrose ochuko

"Tell me about yourself"

I had practiced this question numerous times, so I was really eloquent. He laughed after I was done, and said " oboy you cram this thing". No sir I didn't, I had prepared myself for this question and the likes sir, I prepared myself for the interview Sir..

So you said you were the best in your class right? Yes sir I replied.

"What course?" International studies and diplomacy sir,

He laughed again, "you have entered my trap because I would ask you difficult questions and you are expected to give me the correct not near correct answers.

Tell me about the foreign policy of obasanjos government in 2000."

Sir, nigeria during the regime of general sani abacha from 1993 to 1998 was regarded as a pariah state, obasanjo tried to reintroduce nigeria as a responsible member of the global committee of nations and....

"stop there, you are speaking Grammer for me, what is pariah, eh..".

pariah sir is..."

shut up, I know it..

"You have failed that one" but sir I protested, "see i won't argue with you, continue speaking Grammer, I liked this, he said with a very ominous laughter, the lady sitting with him joined in the laughter, I felt weak..

"Your next question is tell me the origin of the igbos?"

No problem sir, I started, the igbos originate from the volta congo region in africa, they..

"wait there is that it, are you sure you did your african history well, university of Benin abi, are you sure you even graduated"...
Is that the only origin of the igbo race,

sir, there are traditions of origins which postulate that the igbos are from Israel and also another which say that the progenitor of the igbo people came from the sky, but these are just hemitic hypotesis and the latter is just untrue,

" who told you that the igbos are not from Israel eh, you don't have the right to say that, what do you think you know" I just tire..

Em, he turned to the lady and asked if she had any questions for me, to which the lady looked at me as if I was fart or even poo, a demeaning look with a laughter replied, Abegi no questions.

"Well what can someone who studied international studies and diplomacy do in a bank sef" Sir I began, international stu... "I have heard you, you can now go, we will get back to you..

Keep yah head up bro,if its for you...you will get it. if not yours on the way coming....keep the light burning.
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by beyoncausme: 8:30am On Oct 07, 2015
God will see you tru,irespective of the outcome....
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by macsilver(m): 8:32am On Oct 07, 2015
akinsal:

Eyaaa.. Sorry oo.
so you had to quote the whole story just to write "eyaaa.. Sorry oo." abi? Smh. Na by force to comment abi? Oya goan kneel down.
Op, you must have frustrated the dumb woman with your smile. Nothing makes them sadder than seeing someone smile despite the insults hurled at them. Pls change nothing, just be like that for any more interview you would find yourself. The right people would get you.
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Titihaino(f): 8:45am On Oct 07, 2015
same here hotprettyteetee@gmail.com
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by cheerokee(m): 8:47am On Oct 07, 2015
kudos
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Titihaino(f): 8:47am On Oct 07, 2015
Carmal90:

same here hotprettyteetee@gmail.com
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by cheerokee(m): 8:48am On Oct 07, 2015
Valendo:

please how can I contact you?
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by tee4naija(m): 8:50am On Oct 07, 2015
Op, You had a fantastic outing there and not a disastrous show as u presented it in your title. Those quasi-illiterate interviewers have nothing to over a brilliant mind like you. I bet u will thank God u never got employed by them.Marketing in a bank is not something u will pray for except you are employed as a graduate trainee. I have been there and can tell you bank marketers are going through hell and it is going to be even worse with the introduction of TSA policy.
Just keep being who you are and the right people will come for you.
Cheers!!!
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by darmys(f): 8:53am On Oct 07, 2015
This will be funny to some but there is nothing to laugh about here.

Job seekers are really tryying in this country.
I once read a story here on NL about a foreign trained, masters holder, engineering graduate who was offered 50k for a job.
There is no respect. and those GNLD people? tufia kwa.

I pray something changes about this country soon
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Nobody: 9:04am On Oct 07, 2015
you cant judge all interviews with just one experience.
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by persius555(m): 9:10am On Oct 07, 2015
Op, it seems uniben did a good job drilling its graduate to be confident in the labor market. I am a testimony and i had same experience in a media company in victoria island two years ago. The interviewer tried to outsmart me and i gave him a lecture of his life right before the human resource manager. The guy was really uncomfortable with my presence and that was the end of the job thing.

Some company officials suffer from serious insecurity and inferiority complex. Pls, move on. There are better days ahead.
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by mjames: 9:15am On Oct 07, 2015
Valendo:

Am interested in your ideas. my e-mail- abudu73@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Are The Consequences Of Working With Fake Certificates? / All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! / 9mobile Is Currently Recruiting – Apply Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.