Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,469 members, 7,808,687 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers (39875 Views)

President Buhari Meets With Ministers And Governors In Aso Rock (Photos) / Senators Give 3 Conditions For Renominated Magus Confirmation / Allow Biafrans To Go, Britain Pleads After Confirming That Niger Delta Avengers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by Firefire(m): 9:05am On Oct 07, 2015
IzonOwei:
naaaa...resource control should be the way out so that each zone can explore its resources... angry angry

That is another angle out of this injustice. 83% Oil Wells to the Northerners alone, reason all this wicked conspiracy and terrorism.

Let my people return back to Cocoa Farming.

And the north should refresh their groundnut business.

Finito!

1 Like

Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by ApexTitan(m): 9:06am On Oct 07, 2015
Firefire:
“He (Buhary) can supervise ministries but cannot be a minister because if he is, he must be screened and approved by the Senate.”

Nigerians would prefer Buhary takes the role of Minister of Defense, being a retired general and lead the battle against the terrorist. (Forget the C-in-C story... )

Buhary, remove your eyes from the oil wells...
at the expiration of the current licenses in 2016, the oil wells must be evenly distributed among Nigeria geopolitical zones. (We are watching...)

This is not under the topic of this thread but I have to ask; what makes you think distributing the oil well licenses evenly along the 6 geopolitical zones is a reasonable or fair arrangement? There are zones that have no petroleum resources yet you want them to have licenses too?
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by Firefire(m): 9:07am On Oct 07, 2015
ApexTitan:

This is not under the topic of this thread but I have to ask; what makes you think distributing the oil well licenses evenly along the 6 geopolitical zones is a reasonable or fair arrangement? There are zones that have no petroleum resources yet you want them to have licenses too?

For equity and away from the daily robbery by a particular region.

See my latest comment.

Firefire:

That is another angle out of this injustice. 83% Oil Wells to the Northerners alone, reason all this wicked conspiracy and terrorism.

Finito!
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by 48noble(m): 9:12am On Oct 07, 2015
Let d game begin
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by jomoh: 9:13am On Oct 07, 2015
Obynolee:

The only way out is to embrace the spirit of "give and take" and that is when negotiations comes in,I think they have started because they (Presidency )understands that this is democracy and 2015 not you that is still deluding that we are in a military era and 1984

Did you seriously make this comment?

What are they giving and taking. Everybody knows the only thing the Senators wants is for the Executive to drop corruption charges against its members. Is that a fair deal on the country.

Sometimes I wonder how some people think. I'm trying hard to refrain myself from using offensive words on you right now.

Are you justifying the Senators silly claims. Where in the constitution does it state that 36Ministers must complete before screening can start. If you cannot show us then shut the hell up instead of making yourself look unintelligent.

And stay away from my mentions. I hate exchanging words with enemies of progress.
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by ohemdave(m): 9:13am On Oct 07, 2015
[quote author=jomoh post=38739663]It seems Buhari has yet to learn the true Power of Presidency.

The constitution does not support appointing ministers by batch. They should show us where it is written that all ministers must be appointed once. Bunch of thieves.

Just ignore them and start using Permanent Secretaries in place of Ministers let their deputies act as the perm sec. Appoint trusted hands in the civil service as perm secs and communicate your economic policies to them

As the above writer puts it,his thoughts are as silly and miserable as Buhari's ministerial list. You can go and educate your pseudo lienage and neophyte of your extraction.
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by AhmedInusa: 9:17am On Oct 07, 2015
Patiently waiting for this Episode to commence.
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by jomoh: 9:17am On Oct 07, 2015
Obynolee:

And that is not an impeachable offence?

What makes it impeachable?

If it is an impeachable offence they shouldve impeached him since because he has no minister presently.

But the constitution does not make it compulsory that he appoints ministers.
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by nodullin(m): 9:18am On Oct 07, 2015
Firefire:
“He (Buhary) can supervise ministries but cannot be a minister because if he is, he must be screened and approved by the Senate.”

Nigerians would prefer Buhary takes the role of Minister of Defense, being a retired general and lead the battle against the terrorist. (Forget the C-in-C story... )

Buhary, remove your eyes from the oil wells...
at the expiration of the current licenses in 2016, the oil wells must be evenly distributed among Nigeria geopolitical zones. (We are watching...)

Imagine someone with such a shallow brains as to say "he'll stabilise global oil prices" to the humour of the entire world ... is now making himself petroleum minister.... PMB i smell something very fishy... grin grin
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by ruggedtimi(m): 9:18am On Oct 07, 2015
if buhari wnts to be a minister that means he shuld take his own state slot. i like the way senate follow am since na fighting corruption full him manifesto, dey shuld screen evry1 to chck if dey hv corruption chrges against dem i.e almost all the big names in the list will be dropped strting frm ngige-ameachi-fashola
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by ApexTitan(m): 9:18am On Oct 07, 2015
Firefire:

For equity and away from the daily robbery by a particular region.

See my latest comment.

I get that your objective is fairness but my angle is that if we are to achieve true fairness in this matter then it is only regions that have petroleum resources that should be considered for licenses. Trying to evenly share it out appears like the right way to go but it means there will be zones that will "reap where they didn't sow" because we want everyone to be "satisfied".
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by OnReflection: 9:19am On Oct 07, 2015
omusiliyu:
Buhari must be screened.

The same way Jonathan and Obasanjo were screened, huh?
Some of you have no real understanding of Nigeria's constitution or its recent history. sad

Goodluck Jonathan And The Power Ministry

May 1, 2010 10:00 pm

The decision of President Goodluck Jonathan to also head the Ministry of Power has drawn both constructive criticisms and pungent flaks from both sides of the divide. Some self-adjudged experts in the power sector did not give the President even the least chance of success in his new assignment.

Source: http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2010/05/goodluck-jonathan-and-the-power-ministry/

My earlier post on the same subject....

Mickey7:
In democracies all over the world,the powers of the executive arm of government resides in the head of state,the president.The position of the law as regards this matter is captured in section 5 subsection 1a of the 1999 constitution of The Federal Republic of Nigeria(as amended)

That section states that;
5.(1)Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, the executive powers of the Federation:
(a)shall be vested in the President and may subject as aforesaid and to the provisions of any law made by the National Assembly, be exercised by him either directly or through the Vice-President and Ministers of the Government of the Federation or officers in the public service of the Federation.

This in plain language means the president can exercise all executive powers of the state(Nigeria) directly except the National Assembly makes a law precluding him from exercising certain executive powers.

However,it is impossible for the president to exercise all executive powers directly.That is why the constitution suggests/allows him to appoint ministers at his discretion.Ministers act as helpers to reduce his work load.

If he must appoint ministers,such appointments must be subject to confirmation of the senate-section 147
"147. (2) Any appointment to the office of Minister of the Government of the Federation shall, if the nomination of any person to such office is confirmed by the Senate, be made by the President.

Buhari is thus empowered by the constitution to act as petroleum minister without interference from the legislature.The senate only comes into play when Buhari decides to appoint a petroleum minister.

Thanks for advancing the kind of fact-based argument which has become rare around these parts... To say the standards of discourse has fallen far on this section on NL, would amount to dignifying the low-grade reasoning skills which a lot of the ethnically charged nitwits peddle.

Now if we ignore catchy headlines and appraise Buhari's recent remarks, we would be left in no doubt that he has been operating in an 'acting' capacity all along.

...I intend to remain the minister of petroleum resources,” Buhari said in an interview on the sidelines of the annual meeting of world leaders at the UN general assembly in New York.
Source

Would he be flouting a constitutional requirement if he were to continue in the same mode? Clearly, the answer is 'no'.

1 Like

Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by Firefire(m): 9:20am On Oct 07, 2015
nodullin:

Imagine someone with such a shallow brains as to say "he'll stabilise global oil prices" to the humour of the entire world ... is now making himself petroleum minister.... PMB i smell something very fishy... grin grin

My subsequent post is the fish... cheesy
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by ruggedtimi(m): 9:20am On Oct 07, 2015
jomoh:

What makes it impeachable?

If it is an impeachable offence they shouldve impeached him since because he has no minister presently.

But the constitution does not make it compulsory that he appoints ministers.
hmm...so na only him/osinbajo go make up the executive arm of government. nigeria look like a community for ur eye?
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by Firefire(m): 9:23am On Oct 07, 2015
ApexTitan:

I get that your objective is fairness but my angle is that if we are to achieve true fairness in this matter then it is only regions that have petroleum resources that should be considered for licenses. Trying to evenly share it out appears like the right way to go but it means there will be zones that will "reap where they didn't sow" because we want everyone to be "satisfied".

Time for Nigeria to explore the resource control option.
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by jomoh: 9:30am On Oct 07, 2015
[quote author=MRSALT post=38743448][/quote]

Yes he needs the cabinet but no where in the constitution is it stated that he must have ministers or that the list must complete before screening. It is Nigerians that will suffer it.

Unless we want to be unfair to the man.

1. There is no time frame for submission of ministers list.

2. He has submitted the list which is his constitutional duty if he deems it necessary to have ministers.

Buhari has done his duty within the provision of the constitution. What the senators are asking for has not place in the constitution. As a matter of fact the constitution is silent on it and there's no constitution in the world that compels the President of its country to submit all his ministers before it can be screened in the parliament. Even Obama submits his ministers in bits.

These people are just trying to frustrate the presidency because of the corruption mantra that most of them may fall victim.

If they like, they can disqualify the candidates but they have no right to compel the President to submit a complete list or make him appear before the senate.
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 07, 2015
Firefire:

Finito!
gbam....we all need to look at our resources as individual states or zones and explore them...enough of this sucking dry a region... angry angry

1 Like

Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by Obynolee(f): 9:33am On Oct 07, 2015
jomoh:

What are they giving and taking. Everybody knows the only thing the Senators wants is for the Executive to drop corruption charges against its members. Is that a fair deal on the country.

Sometimes I wonder how some people think. I'm trying hard to refrain myself from using offensive words on you right now.

Are you justifying the Senators silly claims. Where in the constitution does it state that 36Ministers must complete before screening can start. If you cannot show us then shut the hell up instead of making yourself look unintelligent.

And stay away from my mentions. I hate exchanging words with enemies of progress.

I am not holding brief for anybody but who is that "saint "in the three arms of the government?? Buhari. MIGHT. be excluded.
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by kenixxx(m): 9:34am On Oct 07, 2015
hmmm well say amachi time for pay back corruption grin grin grin
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by free2ryhme: 9:39am On Oct 07, 2015
As a law-making body, our Senators should know they cannot reject a Presidential nominee as a Federal Minister based on gossips or emotions; PMB, ably supported by a legal professor will not present a nominee that a has a case of corruption in court or with the EFCC to them to be rubbished. Other excuses of non conformity with the constitution with regards to presentation of an incomplete list or the issue of the Petroleum ministry supervision will also not hold; they are only gimmics to upset the APC anti-corruption campaign by a dogged corrupt group who are totally against the envisaged change the Nigerian people voted for.
What our Senators fail to realise is that the whole world had accepted the anti-corruption stance of PMB as what Nigeria needs for now and are just waiting for the outcome of their grand-standing posture.
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by jomoh: 9:39am On Oct 07, 2015
ruggedtimi:
hmm...so na only him/osinbajo go make up the executive arm of government. nigeria look like a community for ur eye?

Has he not done his constitutional duty by submitting the list. Where is it stated in the constitution that he must submit a complete list before screening.

Once he has done his constitutional duty, let the Senators do theirs instead of coming up with frivolous excuse that is foreign to the Nigerian constitution and if they refuse to do so, then let the country continue as it is without ministers.

Nigerians will judge who has refused to do its constitutional job, the President or the Senate.
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by free2ryhme: 9:39am On Oct 07, 2015
byrron:
• May reject incomplete list, screen Buhari for petroleum slot
• To refer corruption petitions against nominees to EFCC, ICPC

AS the Senate today, unveils the ministerial list it received from President Muhammadu Buhari last Thursday, some senators have provided insight into how the screening and confirmation of nominees would be done.

Some of them, who spoke on the terms and conditions that would guide the screening at the National Assembly yesterday hinted that the upper legislative chamber would adopt stringent measures in line with the provisions of the Constitution.

The senators made it clear that any list that does not cover the 36 states of the Federation will meet serious opposition on the floor.

A People’s Democratic Party (PDP) senator, representing Abia North, Mao Ohuabunwa, said the list of ministerial nominees is expected to be complete in line with the Constitution.

“The Constitution does not support appointment of ministers in batches. Every state must be represented but if the number is not complete, some of us may raise constitutional issues. If we have to wait for another three months for him to send another list comprising representatives of other states, it means those states would be non-functional,” he said.

On petitions against some nominees, Ohuabunwa noted such issues would not be ignored in the process of screening.

According to him, since the present administration of All Progressives Congress (APC) would want to be remembered for curbing corruption, it would be counter-productive to overlook any allegations of corruption leveled against any nominee.

He said: “This government would want to be remembered for fighting corruption and so, it will be unacceptable that the Senate sees a strong petition alleging corruption and ignores it.

“Even if it means writing the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) or Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC) to give us a report, we will do so.”

According to him, screening is not a tea party and only trusted nominees with serious and in-depth knowledge would be confirmed.

On the issue of usual style of asking some nominees to ‘take a bow and go,’ Ohuabunwa said it was assumed that the upper chamber would be guided by the Constitution and the rules of the Senate.

“We have resolved to be stringent. Whosoever would be coming should be someone who has a track record. Being a former lawmaker shows you are qualified but you will still be expected to answer some questions,” he stated.

He added that though senators or governors may not have made input in the nomination, the screening would nevertheless be done in accordance with the laws of the federation.

“We may not have made input in the appointment, the screening would be done in accordance with the law and if any nominee has any skeleton in his cupboard, we will send him back to the President,” he said.

Speaking on a report that the President might want to be the Minister of Petroleum, Ohuabunwa said: “He can supervise ministries but cannot be a minister because if he is, he must be screened and approved by the Senate.”

The Chairman of the Senate Ad-hoc Committee on Publicity, Senator Dino Melaye had said that the screening of ministerial nominees will not be business as usual.

Dino had said: “In our screening of ministers, it will not be business as usual. The era of take a bow and go is over. The right people will be made ministers without any political or religious considerations.”

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/10/senators-give-terms-for-confirming-ministers/

Saraki shld stand down as he has pending criminal case
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by Draye: 9:39am On Oct 07, 2015
It baffles me when the senators sees themselves as a congregation of saints.... what was the criteria used to screen them for their elections...? Now they are opportune to become a senator (people like Senator kashamu buruji from Ogun too will say screening of ministers is not a business as usual considering his own antecedents) just to mention afew. So who are these senators? What is their of CV like? Nawa oo Naija
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by Opinedecandid(m): 9:39am On Oct 07, 2015
jomoh:
It seems Buhari has yet to learn the true Power of Presidency.

The constitution does not support appointing ministers by batch. They should show us where it is written that all ministers must be appointed once. Bunch of thieves.

Just ignore them and start using Permanent Secretaries in place of Ministers let their deputies act as the perm sec. Appoint trusted hands in the civil service as perm secs and communicate your economic policies to them
. Its not mandatory that you must have ministers.

When the whole country gets tired of the Senators we will demand for the quick confirmation.

Don't say what you don't know or what you are not sure of in a public forum.

IT IS COMPULSORY THAT BUHARI MUST APPOINT AT LEAST 36 MINISTERS, ONE PER STATE OF THE FEDERATION.
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by Obynolee(f): 9:42am On Oct 07, 2015
jomoh:

The truth is that our voices are not even heard, the worst we can do is
to make noise on nairaland and other social medias and at the end of the day,they will negotiate, in fact, they have started already because Ita Enang has reached out to Akpabio
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by shalomp: 9:46am On Oct 07, 2015
Dannyset:
Some Senators are so dumb that you wonder how they got their SSCE. How can you say you want to screen a person that has been screened by millions of Nigerians and has been deemed fit and qualified to preside over them? Can we now say we can equate PDP and Dumbness? Na wa oo! One thing am sure of is that no one of them can dare PMB.

Was he screened as a minister?
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by jomoh: 9:46am On Oct 07, 2015
Obynolee:

I am not holding brief for anybody but who is that "saint "in the three arms of the government?? Buhari. MIGHT. be excluded.

There is no real saint in the arms of government but the senators should not hold the country to ransom because of their corrupt deeds they fear it could be used to hunt them.

Because there's no saint in the three arms does not mean we won't fight corruption.

Does not mean they would now hold us to ransom with illegal and unconstitutional claim that the president must submit a complete list.

If they have a grouse with the presidency for any reason, let them disqualify anyone on the list that has even the tiniest spot on his/her CV/past. That is the only constitutional right they have.
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by PROPHETmichael: 9:48am On Oct 07, 2015
Buhari have no intention of appointing 36 ministers at once. His well orchestrated plan is to hope senate approved this 1st batch and there after he will send the next one in two years time to replace this 1st batch of ministers.

Senators must reject this incomplete trickish list.
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by 48noble(m): 9:49am On Oct 07, 2015
15 states are left out and u r here talking poo, u better buy ursef a brain. @Dannyset
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by Whynotthetruth(m): 9:51am On Oct 07, 2015
Firefire:
Since the present administration of All Progressives Congress (APC) would want to be remembered for curbing corruption, it would be counter-productive to overlook any allegations of corruption leveled against any nominee. Senate

Good morning Lalasticlala.

1 Like

Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by frisky2good(m): 9:52am On Oct 07, 2015
Why do people give the impression that they are clueless at times? What is so difficult about sending the list of nominees? The one that took 4 months contains names of those we were expecting to make it. The next list, we know half of the names that will be there. I doubt if buhari has ever read the Nigerian constitution because if he has he will know that the actions of the president should be guided by the constitution and not "I can do what I like, when I like".
Re: Senators Give Terms For Confirming Ministers by kraftykc(m): 9:58am On Oct 07, 2015
Pavore9:
If the constitution does not support appointing ministers in batches, l see no reason why it should be done in batches as we have competent persons in every state.

Don't be deceived, the Constitution says nothing about the way ministers are to be employed. This not unconstitutional, all the Constitution says is that all States are to be represented, and that is open to great interpretation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Another Security Formation Attacked In Rivers State, Soldiers Feared Killed / All The First Ladies Nigeria Has Ever Had (Photo) / Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe Campaigns In Style In The 1960s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.