Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,449 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die (70428 Views)

4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin / 13 Nigerian Foods That Are Better When Eaten Together / 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by midolian(m): 4:27pm On Oct 07, 2015
There’s a wide range of Nigerian foods available today. The wide variety of ethnic communities found in Nigeria means that the nation located in West Africa has a varied and rich culinary tradition. Like other West African countries, most Nigerian Foods uses spices and herbs in combination with palm oil or groundnut oil in order to create deeply flavoured sauces and soups often made very hot with chili peppers. There are some staples and ingredients that cross the country’s state borders and there are lots ofNigerian foodsthat are not mentioned here but these are some of the foods we recommend you try when next you visit Nigeria. Nigerian foods consists mainly of rice, yam, cassava, plantain and beans just to name a few.

These are prepared and eaten with the various soups and sometimes stew recipes. Some Nigerian foods can also be prepared in jollof or porridge form.

1.) Agidi Jollof

This delicious Nigerian food comes with a soft bone inside otherwise known as (Okpukpu Agidi) . It is a very light food that can serve for either lunch or dinner and can also serve as a snack. It is usually wrapped in a leaf known as Uma leaf but you can also put it in a plastic container, or even aluminium foil. It’s a low-cost food, all that is needed is just a few ingredients to prepare, This is a must eat food for every Nigerian home.

2.) Pap (Akamu or Ogi)

Made from corn, this traditional food, when combined with Akara, Fried plantain or Fried Yam tastes so great. It is also a very nice and nutritious baby food. Evaporated milk added to Akamu, gives you a great taste.

3.) Nkwobi

This is a super Nigerian delicacy simply prepared by mixing a well cooked cow foot or cow head with a spicy palm oil paste. Usually served in exclusive restaurants. It goes very well with any kind of drink.

4.) Tuwo Shinkafa

This food has its origin from the northern part of Nigeria It is prepared with a special quality of soft rice. It goes down well with Northern Nigerian soups and some other Nigerian soups as well.

5.) Nigerian Groundnut soup (peanut soup)

This is a very great substitute for Egusi soup and both share the same method of preparation. Some of the ingredients you need are: peeled groundnut, assorted fish and meat, palm oil, fluted pumpkin leaves, crayfish, salt and pepper.

6.) Ji Abubo (Yam and Vegetable Sauce)

This is known mostly with the Igbo’s. One of the most delicious delicacies in Igbo land.

7.) Boli (Roasted plantain)

This can come in two ways; the ripe and the unripe, whichever you chose, the taste is great.

8.) Plantain porridge

For this particular food, its preparation is fast and easy but that doesn’t cancel the fact that it is very rich in iron especially with the unripe one. It goes better with dried fish, or if you like, meat. Vegetable is a must for this delicacy.

9.) Abacha (African Salad)

Just as the name implies, it is a purely African Salad. Though most people still see it as a complete meal on its own, it is good to be taken as an in-between meal. Abacha is made from cassava.

10.) Ugba (Oil bean)

Oh my! Ask an Igbo about this, he will tell you a better story than I would ever do!

http://buzznigeria.com/nigerian-foods/
http://buzznigeria.com/nigerian-foods/2/

Lalasticlala

Add yours pls..let's know the missing delicacies.

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by henribj(m): 4:29pm On Oct 07, 2015
the only one i haven't tasted is 4 & 5. might have tasted 5 without knowing though.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by buygala(m): 4:31pm On Oct 07, 2015
JOLOF RICE NKO?

Or is op reporting live from Uzbekistan, his birthplace? undecided

To talk about Nigerian foods and not talk about Jolof Rice is sinful, sacrilegious, repugnant, and infinitely abhorrent angry

207 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by midolian(m): 4:32pm On Oct 07, 2015
1, 4 and 9....Yummy yummy yummy! I don't joke with them.. But I prefer my tuwo with gbegiri soup(Eni zowa).. Any Nupe man/woman in the house? grin grin

buygala:
JOLOF RICE NKO?

Or is op reporting live from Uzbekistan, his birthplace? undecided

To talk about Nigerian foods and not talk about Jolof Rice is sinful, sacrilegious, repugnant, and infinitely abhorrent angry
chai! Bros no vex abeg. Being the First to comment, You should have added it before blowing all this grammar.. + jollof rice originated from senegambia cheesy

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 07, 2015
I can't wait to taste all of these when I go to Ng...for sure these are all spicy & hot... tongue

4 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by midolian(m): 4:34pm On Oct 07, 2015
KashyBaby:
I can't wait to taste all of these when I go to Ng...for sure these are all spicy & hot... tongue
so where are you now?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Rilwayne001: 4:35pm On Oct 07, 2015

Ifokore should be in that list.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 4:36pm On Oct 07, 2015
cry cry cry cry cry Ugba agukariala'm ahu cry cry cry

Op, you don do sumbori strong thing sad sad sad grin

10 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 4:36pm On Oct 07, 2015
midolian:
so where are you now?

I'm In Singapore grin no Nigerian/African food here...

4 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by chiibekee(f): 4:42pm On Oct 07, 2015
U need to add more cos av eaten all of those

2 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by delishpot: 4:44pm On Oct 07, 2015
I have eaten all. I want to try ghanian food now. Banku et all

2 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by midolian(m): 4:44pm On Oct 07, 2015
KashyBaby:

I'm In Singapore grin no Nigerian/African food here...
hun! shocked ..what are the best meals over there, kashybaby? grin
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 07, 2015
Errrmmm....Op,you mean that if I never chop these 10 delicacies I no go die?:/.I've eaten 1,2,3,7,8,9,10.
I'm Igbo but I don't like(fancy) Ugba.
You didn't add Okpa,Epiti.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Aminat508(f): 4:46pm On Oct 07, 2015
cry cry

1 Like

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by AfricanApple(f): 4:52pm On Oct 07, 2015
@rilwayne001 that food is done with water yam not coco yam, it should really be at the top of the list tongue

1 Like

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 07, 2015
chai! 0p why are u doing this to me ooooooh?
i go swear for u ooo.

nkwobi yee nkwobi eh..eh,.. eh..eh...yea uuuuh....oyeaa lle.. le..
i must chop u diz week oh..ho..ho, ooh..la.. la..la...po po..po. haaa
na op doz coz wahala ..la lla la la la la la la...
weda for money or for credit ...popo ro..ro..rom..parara..parara...
choi! mama..mama...mama uju get ready for shortage on ur own side.. shor.. shor...tage.
coz i go evn chop chop chop chop that pomolipsrsealed

7 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by midolian(m): 5:04pm On Oct 07, 2015
IamDino:
Errrmmm....Op,you mean that if I never chop these 10 delicacies I no go die?:/.I've eaten 1,2,3,7,8,9,10.
I'm Igbo but I don't like(fancy) Ugba.
You didn't add Okpa,Epiti.
lemme see how they look like
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by midolian(m): 5:12pm On Oct 07, 2015
delishpot:
I have eaten all. I want to try ghanian food now. Banku et all
lol..ghanaian foods are sweet too..only that some makes one grow big hips and bum. grin
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 07, 2015
I have tasted 2, 4, 7 and 8. I hope to taste others someday, before I die grin
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by GOATandYAMtheory: 5:23pm On Oct 07, 2015
give roasted goat and yam and palm oil a try. . . And thank me later undecided

8 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by delishpot: 5:25pm On Oct 07, 2015
midolian:
lol..ghanaian foods are sweet too..only that some makes one grow big hips and bum. grin

Hahah. I will manage it so grin grin
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 07, 2015
What if I didn't eat them all nkor?

Does that means I've not fulfilled a righteous life?

#shoro ni midolian so yi sha?

1 Like

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by midolian(m): 5:31pm On Oct 07, 2015
Neyoor:
What if I didn't eat them all nkor?

Does that means I've not fulfilled a righteous life?

#shoro ni midolian so yi sha?
No, bro! It only means you didn't eat enough delicacies before death..lol

1 Like

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 07, 2015
midolian:
No, bro! It only means you didn't eat enough delicacies before death..lol

So you mean the satisfaction I used to derived from foods like:

FUFU

AMALA

EBA

IYAN

EKURU

`EKO

`EGBO

JOLLOFU

FRIED RICE

EWA

ASARO

TUWO

FURA

ISU

are nothing compare to this one you listed above?

Abi why must I eat them before death o, convince me more cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by midolian(m): 5:43pm On Oct 07, 2015
Neyoor:

So you mean the satisfaction I used to derived from foods like:

FUFU

AMALA

EBA

IYAN

EKURU

`EKO

`EGBO

JOLLOFU

FRIED RICE

EWA

ASARO

TUWO

FURA

ISU

are nothing compare to this one you listed above?

Abi why must I eat them before death o, convince me more cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
All these are not rich enough. These are the same set of food I eat all of the time too grin..I tasted almost all that I listed on this thread during service... A trial will convince you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by osaslord500(m): 5:55pm On Oct 07, 2015
Op how many u don chop?
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by YerYer: 5:55pm On Oct 07, 2015
Yummy list.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by sexymoma(f): 5:56pm On Oct 07, 2015
wey pounded yam

3 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Atlantian: 5:59pm On Oct 07, 2015
I have eaten all of them except the Tuo Shinkafa

1 Like

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Bisjosh(f): 5:59pm On Oct 07, 2015
@Op your list is biased and mainly centred around the Eastern part.

We do have many rich delicacies in Nigeria that are not on the list.

angry

11 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Flashh: 5:59pm On Oct 07, 2015
Vanquay:
I don't eat Nigerian Foods...our ancestors we're shittu cooks/chefs...they couldn't even come up with good Food..

I can open my fridge and Eat a thousand different meals but not there in Nigeria...You guys are closeminded to your ethnic foods and hardly try others...the few you try are still shitty undecided
For Christ sake who is this fool? undecided

39 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The World’s Most Expensive Wedding Cake Was Made In Dubai(photos) / See What They Are Selling In Lagos (photos) / Aju Mbaise For Flat Tummy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.