Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:42 PM

10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die (70436 Views)

4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin / 13 Nigerian Foods That Are Better When Eaten Together / 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by queebeediva(f): 7:01pm On Oct 07, 2015
Nigeria is bless .
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Tushkid74(m): 7:05pm On Oct 07, 2015
Nothing beats ekuru ati eko,served with okra soup that has a film of stew on it!
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by DFemaleBoss(f): 7:06pm On Oct 07, 2015
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 7:10pm On Oct 07, 2015
Aminat508:
cry cry
tears of joy or pain?
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by nifton(m): 7:12pm On Oct 07, 2015
tonychristopher:
80% OF FOODS HERE ARE IGBO

IGBO GET FOOD SHA...NO WONDER THEY ARE STRONG

Guy abeg free dat Igbo mata make this 1daful thread no take -ve dimemsion. #No offense.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by amazingfatlose(m): 7:16pm On Oct 07, 2015
I have eating most all this meals
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by EDWARD4119(m): 7:18pm On Oct 07, 2015
I have eaten all .
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Aminat508(f): 7:18pm On Oct 07, 2015
Adufetohposh:
tears of joy or pain?
hunger dey wire me ni cheesy

4 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by ItsMeAboki(m): 7:19pm On Oct 07, 2015
LOL, isn't it very strange that a dish is named Abacha (a.k.a African Salad) by a set of ppl who hate him most?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Kakagiwa(f): 7:33pm On Oct 07, 2015
[quote author=midolian post=38757019]1, 4 and 9....Yummy yummy yummy! I don't joke with them.. But I prefer my tuwo with gbegiri soup(Eni zowa).. Any Nupe man/woman in the house? grin grin
Yes o. Eni zowa always

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Ashez: 7:34pm On Oct 07, 2015
chimkaire:
cry cry cry cry cry Ugba agukariala'm ahu cry cry cry

Op, you don do sumbori strong thing sad sad sad grin
bia na nke Zuby kam zutara one or two plates naaa,
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by midolian(m): 7:38pm On Oct 07, 2015
Kakagiwa:
yes o! Eni zowa always
za dzhi kichi we yo? grin
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by U2ice(m): 7:43pm On Oct 07, 2015
Ur list no complete without UKWA(bread fruit)

Cook or fry bt prefer d cookd 1
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by speak2leo(m): 7:43pm On Oct 07, 2015
National salute

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 07, 2015
This list is incomplete without oghwo and Starch (yellow and yellow)
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by aalangel(f): 7:47pm On Oct 07, 2015
Abacha and Nkwobi for me, anytime anyway.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by maryhaam(f): 7:47pm On Oct 07, 2015
Nkwobi and abacha I love that 2 like kilode
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by midolian(m): 7:49pm On Oct 07, 2015
Tushkid74:
Nothing beats ekuru ati eko,served with okra soup that has a film of stew on it!
grin grin grin
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by U2ice(m): 7:50pm On Oct 07, 2015
IamDino:
Errrmmm....Op,you mean that if I never chop these 10 delicacies I no go die?:/.I've eaten 1,2,3,7,8,9,10.
I'm Igbo but I don't like(fancy) Ugba.
You didn't add Okpa,Epiti.

Okpa!! Confirm....dt food hear ween for my hand bac in d days in absu
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 07, 2015
I have eaten all except No 10, thanks for Diversity NYSC and my job

midolian:
There’s a wide range of Nigerian foods available today. The wide variety of ethnic communities found in Nigeria means that the nation located in West Africa has a varied and rich culinary tradition. Like other West African countries, most Nigerian Foods uses spices and herbs in combination with palm oil or groundnut oil in order to create deeply flavoured sauces and soups often made very hot with chili peppers. There are some staples and ingredients that cross the country’s state borders and there are lots ofNigerian foodsthat are not mentioned here but these are some of the foods we recommend you try when next you visit Nigeria. Nigerian foods consists mainly of rice, yam, cassava, plantain and beans just to name a few.

These are prepared and eaten with the various soups and sometimes stew recipes. Some Nigerian foods can also be prepared in jollof or porridge form.

1.) Agidi Jollof

This delicious Nigerian food comes with a soft bone inside otherwise known as (Okpukpu Agidi) . It is a very light food that can serve for either lunch or dinner and can also serve as a snack. It is usually wrapped in a leaf known as Uma leaf but you can also put it in a plastic container, or even aluminium foil. It’s a low-cost food, all that is needed is just a few ingredients to prepare, This is a must eat food for every Nigerian home.

2.) Pap (Akamu or Ogi)

Made from corn, this traditional food, when combined with Akara, Fried plantain or Fried Yam tastes so great. It is also a very nice and nutritious baby food. Evaporated milk added to Akamu, gives you a great taste.

3.) Nkwobi

This is a super Nigerian delicacy simply prepared by mixing a well cooked cow foot or cow head with a spicy palm oil paste. Usually served in exclusive restaurants. It goes very well with any kind of drink.

4.) Tuwo Shinkafa

This food has its origin from the northern part of Nigeria It is prepared with a special quality of soft rice. It goes down well with Northern Nigerian soups and some other Nigerian soups as well.

5.) Nigerian Groundnut soup (peanut soup)

This is a very great substitute for Egusi soup and both share the same method of preparation. Some of the ingredients you need are: peeled groundnut, assorted fish and meat, palm oil, fluted pumpkin leaves, crayfish, salt and pepper.

6.) Ji Abubo (Yam and Vegetable Sauce)

This is known mostly with the Igbo’s. One of the most delicious delicacies in Igbo land.

7.) Boli (Roasted plantain)

This can come in two ways; the ripe and the unripe, whichever you chose, the taste is great.

8.) Plantain porridge

For this particular food, its preparation is fast and easy but that doesn’t cancel the fact that it is very rich in iron especially with the unripe one. It goes better with dried fish, or if you like, meat. Vegetable is a must for this delicacy.

9.) Abacha (African Salad)

Just as the name implies, it is a purely African Salad. Though most people still see it as a complete meal on its own, it is good to be taken as an in-between meal. Abacha is made from cassava.

10.) Ugba (Oil bean)

Oh my! Ask an Igbo about this, he will tell you a better story than I would ever do!

http://buzznigeria.com/nigerian-foods/
http://buzznigeria.com/nigerian-foods/2/

Lalasticlala

Add yours pls..let's know the missing delicacies.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 07, 2015
criously im nt feelin dis foods.i dnt knw y foreign foods is beta than all dis maybe its because they have more ingredients to make food taste awesome.i watched a show on masterchef.all i saw was enough to let me knw dat we are learners wen it comes to cookin food.our food tastes good bt we nid to improve wen it comes to cookin international food and experimenting with food ingredients
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nyore5: 8:11pm On Oct 07, 2015
Wow! I can beat my chest and say I have eaten everything mentioned...guess I am a true Nigerian tongue tongue tongue
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by subbieD(f): 8:19pm On Oct 07, 2015
Choi!!! No 7, I love it so much......
No 3, super taste kiss kiss
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by talktonase(m): 8:29pm On Oct 07, 2015
EWAAH GAUIN no dey d list.I am disapointed!!!
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Neplusultra(f): 8:30pm On Oct 07, 2015
Iv eaten all!!!

I don't joke with No 1.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by NasNation(m): 8:32pm On Oct 07, 2015
U 4got to add. Vegetable Soup well prepared with waterleaf,pumpkin leave and assorted meats,okporoko,kpormor and dried fish...my broda Nigeria is d place 2 b!
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Clinton594(m): 8:32pm On Oct 07, 2015
chiibekee:
U need to add more cos av eaten all of those

Hmmmmm nne ibukwa onye mme mme oh

2 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:35pm On Oct 07, 2015
montezz:
garri and fried fish nko? dats my fav.anyday anytime.

Ndi ofe nmanu awuchie...lol

3 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Demmzy15(m): 8:35pm On Oct 07, 2015
Rilwayne001:

We call it 'Gbegiri' in yoruba. Really teaste great, especially with a very hot 'Amala' cheesy
Then mix it with small 'Ewedu' cheesy.. Chai! grin grin
*faints*
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:36pm On Oct 07, 2015
montezz:

lol...jux soak ur garri in a bowl of cold water. take it with fried fish...yl at it mk sure ur fan/ac is on den thank me later.

Only Yoruba people drink garri with fried fish....lol
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by justmenoni: 8:38pm On Oct 07, 2015
Op where all the yoruba food
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:39pm On Oct 07, 2015
MARKone:
Okpa and Chilled Coke.

Ikpo Ogede.

Nawaa,ikpo ogede....guy,you just took me 24yrs back...chai

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The World’s Most Expensive Wedding Cake Was Made In Dubai(photos) / See What They Are Selling In Lagos (photos) / Aju Mbaise For Flat Tummy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.