Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,827 members, 7,806,321 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:45 PM

Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership (21176 Views)

Hausas Asking Igbos To Leave: See What Some Northern Youths Are Saying Online / Umahi Bags 2016 Zik Prize For Leadership In Good Governance Award / Rivers Rerun: Governor Wike Says INEC Was Not Prepared (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:37pm On Oct 07, 2015
Buhari ministerial list contains names of yesteryears politicians, some of them woefully failed in their previous office. While some of us are not happy with the recycling, the question I beg to ask is "Are the youths prepared for leadership?".

The Attitude of Nigeria Youth:
I understand that the youths of Nigeria like their African counterpart are seriously challenged economically. I understand that we are faced with the thought of "when are we taking over?" But looking at the nigerian youth, you will see one that is ready to stake his life and intellect to butt-lick and defend failed politicians with hope that the 'politicians' enroll them into their payroll and/or make them unofficial PA. The youths are scattered on social media from twitter, facebook, Nairaland etc and even on the street with readiness to be eternal stooge for politicians. Is it not a Nigerian youth that carries placard in protest against prosecutors and to show support to politicians that have been indicted for crimes? Which other part of the world can one find such?

Our Youths Have No Zeal To Lead:
The youths keep saying 'give us a chance' but have they shown willingness and zeal to lead? How many of our youths are members of political parties? How many are thinking of picking party forms to vie for political offices? The minimum age to run for Local government chairman, Federal House of Representatives and State House of Assembly offices is 30, For Senate and Office of the Governor, the minimum age is 35. How many of our 30-40years old have shown the zeal and passion to run for these offices? How many have shown the zeal to run for their Local Government Chairmanship elections? How many youths within the 25 and 35 age bracket are passionate about representing their wards as councillors? How then can there be power shift when there is no zeal to lead? Does power come on a platter of gold?

May I remind the youths that Bola Tinubu first ran for Senate(and won) at the age of 40? Rabiu Kwankwaso was first elected Member/Deputy Speaker of House of Representative in 1992 at the age of 36. Ayo Fayose was 43years when he ran for Governor against an incumbent and PDP elite in 2003. At 37, Owelle Rochas Okorocha first ran for Governor of Imo state in 1999(he lost). At 41 he vied for the Presidency in 2003(he lost). He was however appointed Special Adviser to President Obasanjo. At 35 Musliu Obanikoro was the NRC Caretaker Chairman for Surulere Local Government. All these men started WITHOUT a godfather. They however showed the zeal to lead, today they are moving from one office to another.

Our Youths Must Wake Up:
Leadership comes with responsibilities. I am not a fan of 'gifting' people with political offices, but instead I believe in supporting young visionaries for political offices. For young people to lead, they have to join/support political parties of choice. They must intelligently contribute to party growth, show willingness and readiness to lead, and pick forms for elective offices. Don't be discouraged whether you win or lose the election because the zeal will prepare and position you for other positions (appointments) that usually comes AFTER every election. If appointment didn't come, the next for years will definitely provide another opportunity to vie for elective/appointive position. Who says a youth cannot be the a national officer of his party(apart from youth leader)?

Finally, leadership is not a gift, it must be earned. If the youths really want generational shift, they must show willingness to lead. As at now, the youths are just not prepared for leadership.

May God Bless Us All

184 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Tkester: 7:37pm On Oct 07, 2015
True

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 07, 2015
yeah, so true...the key word is visionary leadership..sadly Nigeria plays money politics...widespread poverty is anathema to youthful and visionary leadership

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by warrior01: 7:40pm On Oct 07, 2015
No wonder Atiku's daughter called them " mere commoners which their opinions doesn't count" and most of them belongs to the evil APC

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by stabillo(m): 7:43pm On Oct 07, 2015
We're the leader's of tomorrow is just a song

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Rilwayne001: 7:45pm On Oct 07, 2015

[size=14pt] On a more serious note Buhari Bleep up big time. Youths like:

Tonyebarcanista
Firefire
Mogidi
phockmanphockman
Ozoakpe grin

ought to be on that Ministerial list.

Buhari is s big scam.. [/size]

94 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by sirfemoz(m): 7:46pm On Oct 07, 2015
I think Nigerian youths have sold their rights and privileges over bags of money. That's the more reason people like Audu Ogbe will still remain in active politics.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by warrior01: 7:46pm On Oct 07, 2015
stabillo:

Heard that Audu Ogbeh was screened by Older Saraki in 1982

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 07, 2015
stabillo:
leaders of tomorrow,when is that tomorrow sef

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by sandraokosun: 7:47pm On Oct 07, 2015
who the hell are u decieving! Stick to ur pdp idiocy, u cant claim to be speaking libraly for the youth when u are a fully partisan pdp bigot, who by the way got a 75yr old ahmadu ali as it youth minister, i guess u couldnt even convice ur pot belly cabals and ur men of 2moro the anenihs,clark,tukur,george,ibb of ths world. Pdp killed the hope of youth in nigeria with the money bribes. Made NANS its party youth wing as well as CAN. This article should be coming from a non partisan person, who is trully interested in youth welfare

77 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Dannyset(m): 7:48pm On Oct 07, 2015
To some extent, all what you said is true.
But let me start by saying that if you are truly the Barcanista I knew on this forum, then you are more guilty of your first point, cos I heard you changed party because you were promised a post of PA/SA. So with that, it shows you are nt prepared to be a leader as a youth.

The 2nd point also points at you cos your zeal is only demonstrated on social media and not in real life. Have seen youths like Omojuwa, Ogundamisi, MrFixIt, AyeeDee etc. displayed the youthful zeal in real life and I won't be surprised if one or some of them are called up later for an office a youth can lead from.

Why am saying this is that, every one of us here is guilty of the backwardness of youth in leadership position because the system has already cornered us into mere followers. All we look for is money, and the politicians understood that and throw money at us any time they see awareness in us. What else can we do when the Bible in itself has said "Money answereth all things". As a result of these, we are divided on many grounds and they laugh us to scorn.

.........will continue later.

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by TheSonOfMark(m): 7:48pm On Oct 07, 2015
The same SHORTCHANGED youths would besiege this thread to spew cliched hogwash like "wailers" and any of such partisan dysphemism as against brainstorming 'cause admitting the current administration has no plan to phase youths into leadership roles is an admission of them doing a piss-poor job at rooting for the supposed sanctimonious pseudo-change-spewing geriatric political jobbers.
⚡⚡⚡

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by jamex93(m): 7:49pm On Oct 07, 2015
na to dey do Facebook, chat play bet9ja, watch film, tweak Imei

na waiting dem sabi b dat

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 07, 2015
[s]
TonyeBarcanista:
Buhari ministerial list contains names of yesteryears politicians, some of them woefully failed in their previous office. While some of us are not happy with the recycling, the question I beg to ask is "Are the youths prepared for leadership?".

I understand that the youths of Nigeria like their African counterpart are seriously challenged economically. I understand that we are faced with the thought of "when are we taking over?" But looking at the nigerian youth, you will see one that is ready to stake his life and intellect to butt-lick and defend failed politicians with hope that the 'politicians' enroll them into their payroll and/or make them unofficial PA. The youths are scattered on social media from twitter, facebook, Nairaland etc and even on the street with readiness to be eternal stooge for politicians. Is it not a Nigerian youth that carries placard in protest against prosecutors and to show support to politicians that have been indicted for crimes? Which other part of the world can one find such?

The youths keep saying 'give us a chance' but have they shown willingness and zeal to lead? How many of our youths are members of political parties? How many are thinking of picking party forms to vie for political offices? The minimum age to run for Local government chairman, Federal House of Representatives and State House of Assembly offices is 30, For Senate and Office of the Governor, the minimum age is 35. How many of our 30-40years old have shown the zeal and passion to run for these offices? How many have shown the zeal to run for their Local Government Chairmanship elections? How many youths within the 25 and 35 age bracket are passionate about representing their wards as councillors? How then can there be power shift when there is no zeal to lead? Does power come on a platter of gold?

May I remind the youths that Bola Tinubu first ran for Senate(and won) at the age of 40? Rabiu Kwankwaso was first elected Member/Deputy Speaker of House of Representative in 1992 at the age of 36. Ayo Fayose was 43years when he ran for Governor against an incumbent and PDP elite in 2003. At 37, Owelle Rochas Okorocha first ran for Governor of Imo state in 1999(he lost). At 41 he vied for the Presidency in 2003(he lost). He was however appointed Special Adviser to President Obasanjo. At 35 Musliu Obanikoro was the NRC Caretaker Chairman for Surulere Local Government. All these men started WITHOUT a godfather. They however showed the zeal to lead, today they are moving from one office to another.

Our Youths Must Wake Up:
Leadership comes with responsibilities. I am not a fan of 'gifting' people with political offices, but instead I believe in supporting young visionaries for political offices. For young people to lead, they have to join/support political parties of choice. They must intelligently contribute to party growth, show willingness and readiness to lead, and pick forms for elective offices. Don't be discouraged whether you win or lose the election because the zeal will prepare and position you for other positions (appointments) that usually comes AFTER every election. If appointment didn't come, the next for years will definitely provide another opportunity to vie for elective/appointive position. Who says a youth cannot be the a national officer of his party(apart from youth leader)?

Finally, leadership is not a gift, it must be earned. If the youths really want generational shift, they must show willingness to lead. As at now, the youths are just not prepared for leadership.

May God Bless Us All
[/s]

who is this fool known as TonyeBarcanista? na only negative thing you dey see about Nigeria all d time. if d youth r not prepared, wot abt you My Ape

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 07, 2015
warrior01:

Heard that when Audu Ogbeh was been screened by Older Saraki in 1982
cheesy..tor

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 07, 2015
[s]TonyeBarcanista:

Our Youths Must Wake Up:

May God Bless Us All
Onijagidijagan:
[s][/s]
who is this fool known as TonyeBarcanista? na only negative thing you dey see about Nigeria all d time. if d youth r not prepared, wot abt you My Ape
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:50pm On Oct 07, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
yeah, so true...the key word is visionary leadership..sadly Nigeria plays money politics...widespread poverty is anathema to youthful and visionary leadership
Believe you me, there are party faithfuls that will be ready to support you IF they see a visionary leader in you. Aside that, there are people (non party faithfuls) that will willingly stake for you IF they see the messiah in you. The zeal and passion should come before the money. Afterall, some people have spent billions without winning elections.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Nobody: 7:52pm On Oct 07, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Believe you me, there are party faithfuls that will be ready to support you IF they see a visionary leader in you. Aside that, there are people (non party faithfuls) that will willingly stake for you IF they see the messiah in you. The zeal and passion should come before the money. Afterall, some people have spent billions without winning elections.
you dey craze na attention u want every time god punish u

16 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by TheSonOfMark(m): 7:53pm On Oct 07, 2015
Onijagidijagan:
[s][/s]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just on time. Remember my earliest comment, folks? Well, one of such delusional youths with nadir-esque ratiocinating abilities just proved my assertion right.
♦ ⚡⚡⚡

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by alaoeri: 7:55pm On Oct 07, 2015
Are you not part of the youths that endorsed the drug baron Buruj Kashamu as man of the year in exchange for peanuts?

21 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by WHOcarex: 7:55pm On Oct 07, 2015
TheSonOfMark:
The same SHORTCHANGED youths would besiege this thread to spew cliched hogwash like "wailers" and any of such partisan dysphemism as against brainstorming 'cause admitting the current administration has no plan to phase youths into leadership roles is an admission of them doing a piss-poor job at rooting for the supposed sanctimonious pseudo-change-spewing geriatric political jobbers.
⚡⚡⚡
Your own na to dey blow grammar. Abeg shift

32 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by gwales: 7:56pm On Oct 07, 2015
See the future Nigerian leaders

27 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by WHOcarex: 7:59pm On Oct 07, 2015
So tonyebarcanista, you don finally realise say nothing for you

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by TheSonOfMark(m): 7:59pm On Oct 07, 2015
WHOcarex:
Your own na to dey blow grammar. Abeg shift

Thanks for the benign adulation. smiley
♦ ⚡⚡⚡

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Tallesty1(m): 7:59pm On Oct 07, 2015
alaoeri:
Are you not part of the youths that endorsed the drug baron Buruj Kashamu as man of the year in exchange for peanuts?
Were you there when he received the peanuts?

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 07, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
trust me, Nigeria is not ripe for that yet...how many of our young persons are actually informed..Nigeria is still divided,there are widespread ethnic sentiments..where is the unifying factor amongst the youths?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:01pm On Oct 07, 2015
alaoeri:
Who are you referring to? I'm not morally bankrupt! I'm a firm supporter of sanity

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 07, 2015
gwales:
See the future Nigerian leaders
*sighs*.,.pitiable
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by ionsman: 8:05pm On Oct 07, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

I understand that the youths of Nigeria like their African counterpart are seriously challenged economically. I understand that we are faced with the thought of "when are we taking over?" But looking at the nigerian youth, you will see one that is ready to stake his life and intellect to butt-lick and defend failed politicians with hope that the 'politicians' enroll them into their payroll and/or make them unofficial PA. The youths are scattered on social media from twitter, facebook, Nairaland etc and even on the street with readiness to be eternal stooge for politicians.

What a time to be alive.

You perfectly summed up yourself with the bolded statement.

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by sandraokosun: 8:06pm On Oct 07, 2015
u pdp bigot claim to be interested in youth welfare but dragged buhari ministerial position into it, i see this epistle is more of a pdp wail than a youth emancipation. DOA. Pdp laid the foundation of destroying the youth future. Buying the NASS amongst others who killed themselves over pdp endorsement as its youth branch

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:06pm On Oct 07, 2015
Tallesty1:
Were you there when he received the peanuts?
Perhaps he assumes that everybody is like him. You know these 'anywhere belle face people'
BlaqCoffee109:
trust me, Nigeria is not ripe for that yet...how many of our young persons are actually informed..Nigeria is still divided,there are widespread ethnic sentiments..where is the unifying factor amongst the youths?
Positions like Councillor, LG Chairman, State legislator and House of Representative member are based on constituencies. All you need is to reach your people. They are less 'tribalistic' in nature.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Sweetguy25: 8:10pm On Oct 07, 2015
Some Nigerian youths do have the zeal and the proper attitude to lead and serve. If you go to our various universities, you'll see various young Nigerian students who are quite good with politics and leadership. However, the Nigerian political environment is structured in a manner that is not favorable to young people.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Give Best Caption To This Olawepo Hashim's Image and Win / DSS Brings Sunday Igboho’s Aides To Court / Oyinlola And Senator Ademola Adeleke Unite After PDP National Convention(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.