Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,926 members, 7,803,007 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership (21169 Views)

Hausas Asking Igbos To Leave: See What Some Northern Youths Are Saying Online / Umahi Bags 2016 Zik Prize For Leadership In Good Governance Award / Rivers Rerun: Governor Wike Says INEC Was Not Prepared (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by wristbangle: 9:32pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Buhari ministerial list contains names of yesteryears politicians, some of them woefully failed in their previous office. While some of us are not happy with the recycling, the question I beg to ask is "Are the youths prepared for leadership?".

The Attitude of Nigeria Youth:
I understand that the youths of Nigeria like their African counterpart are seriously challenged economically. I understand that we are faced with the thought of "when are we taking over?" But looking at the nigerian youth, you will see one that is ready to stake his life and intellect to butt-lick and defend failed politicians with hope that the 'politicians' enroll them into their payroll and/or make them unofficial PA. The youths are scattered on social media from twitter, facebook, Nairaland etc and even on the street with readiness to be eternal stooge for politicians. Is it not a Nigerian youth that carries placard in protest against prosecutors and to show support to politicians that have been indicted for crimes? Which other part of the world can one find such?

Our Youths Have No Zeal To Lead:
The youths keep saying 'give us a chance' but have they shown willingness and zeal to lead? How many of our youths are members of political parties? How many are thinking of picking party forms to vie for political offices? The minimum age to run for Local government chairman, Federal House of Representatives and State House of Assembly offices is 30, For Senate and Office of the Governor, the minimum age is 35. How many of our 30-40years old have shown the zeal and passion to run for these offices? How many have shown the zeal to run for their Local Government Chairmanship elections? How many youths within the 25 and 35 age bracket are passionate about representing their wards as councillors? How then can there be power shift when there is no zeal to lead? Does power come on a platter of gold?

May I remind the youths that Bola Tinubu first ran for Senate(and won) at the age of 40? Rabiu Kwankwaso was first elected Member/Deputy Speaker of House of Representative in 1992 at the age of 36. Ayo Fayose was 43years when he ran for Governor against an incumbent and PDP elite in 2003. At 37, Owelle Rochas Okorocha first ran for Governor of Imo state in 1999(he lost). At 41 he vied for the Presidency in 2003(he lost). He was however appointed Special Adviser to President Obasanjo. At 35 Musliu Obanikoro was the NRC Caretaker Chairman for Surulere Local Government. All these men started WITHOUT a godfather. They however showed the zeal to lead, today they are moving from one office to another.

Our Youths Must Wake Up:
Leadership comes with responsibilities. I am not a fan of 'gifting' people with political offices, but instead I believe in supporting young visionaries for political offices. For young people to lead, they have to join/support political parties of choice. They must intelligently contribute to party growth, show willingness and readiness to lead, and pick forms for elective offices. Don't be discouraged whether you win or lose the election because the zeal will prepare and position you for other positions (appointments) that usually comes AFTER every election. If appointment didn't come, the next for years will definitely provide another opportunity to vie for elective/appointive position. Who says a youth cannot be the a national officer of his party(apart from youth leader)?

Finally, leadership is not a gift, it must be earned. If the youths really want generational shift, they must show willingness to lead. As at now, the youths are just not prepared for leadership.

May God Bless Us All

Well said my brother. This is a clarion call to we youths.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Buhari ministerial list contains names of yesteryears politicians, some of them woefully failed in their previous office. While some of us are not happy with the recycling, the question I beg to ask is "Are the youths prepared for leadership?".

I understand that the youths of Nigeria like their African counterpart are seriously challenged economically. I understand that we are faced with the thought of "when are we taking over?" But looking at the nigerian youth, you will see one that is ready to stake his life and intellect to butt-lick and defend failed politicians with hope that the 'politicians' enroll them into their payroll and/or make them unofficial PA. The youths are scattered on social media from twitter, facebook, Nairaland etc and even on the street with readiness to be eternal stooge for politicians. Is it not a Nigerian youth that carries placard in protest against prosecutors and to show support to politicians that have been indicted for crimes? Which other part of the world can one find such?

The youths keep saying 'give us a chance' but have they shown willingness and zeal to lead? How many of our youths are members of political parties? How many are thinking of picking party forms to vie for political offices? The minimum age to run for Local government chairman, Federal House of Representatives and State House of Assembly offices is 30, For Senate and Office of the Governor, the minimum age is 35. How many of our 30-40years old have shown the zeal and passion to run for these offices? How many have shown the zeal to run for their Local Government Chairmanship elections? How many youths within the 25 and 35 age bracket are passionate about representing their wards as councillors? How then can there be power shift when there is no zeal to lead? Does power come on a platter of gold?

May I remind the youths that Bola Tinubu first ran for Senate(and won) at the age of 40? Rabiu Kwankwaso was first elected Member/Deputy Speaker of House of Representative in 1992 at the age of 36. Ayo Fayose was 43years when he ran for Governor against an incumbent and PDP elite in 2003. At 37, Owelle Rochas Okorocha first ran for Governor of Imo state in 1999(he lost). At 41 he vied for the Presidency in 2003(he lost). He was however appointed Special Adviser to President Obasanjo. At 35 Musliu Obanikoro was the NRC Caretaker Chairman for Surulere Local Government. All these men started WITHOUT a godfather. They however showed the zeal to lead, today they are moving from one office to another.

Our Youths Must Wake Up:
Leadership comes with responsibilities. I am not a fan of 'gifting' people with political offices, but instead I believe in supporting young visionaries for political offices. For young people to lead, they have to join/support political parties of choice. They must intelligently contribute to party growth, show willingness and readiness to lead, and pick forms for elective offices. Don't be discouraged whether you win or lose the election because the zeal will prepare and position you for other positions (appointments) that usually comes AFTER every election. If appointment didn't come, the next for years will definitely provide another opportunity to vie for elective/appointive position. Who says a youth cannot be the a national officer of his party(apart from youth leader)?

Finally, leadership is not a gift, it must be earned. If the youths really want generational shift, they must show willingness to lead. As at now, the youths are just not prepared for leadership.

May God Bless Us All

Barcanista, all this your viju milk analysis, heh.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by petrelli07: 9:47pm On Oct 13, 2015
Finally we agree on something... Bravo TonyeBarcanista.. Bravo..
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Postivechange: 9:48pm On Oct 13, 2015
Pidggin:
Youths are ready for leadership, but our Power Holding Leaders are not ready to relinquish their positions.

Then let us fight to take our place. Don't expect them to relinquish their positions, we must show them we are ready and capable to take charge.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by joseph1832(m): 9:48pm On Oct 13, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:
Sometimes, I wonder how some threads make front page. undecided

I would advice the op to mix with educated and progressive Nigerian youths, instead of claiming that Nigerian youths are not ready for leadership.
The funny thing is the uneducated, un enlightened, illiterate youth are more than the educated youth and these youth, by virtue of nepotism, tribal and religious affiliation tend to occupy position they're not suppose to.

The progressive minded and educated youth you speak of hardly ever get the chance to occupy positions of leadership, they're always if not often drowned by nepostism.

When you listen to the way most of these illiterate youth talk, you just have to shake your head and even when those youth who are enlightened get the chance to occupy positions of leadership, if its by election, rest assured that the illiterate and un enlightened youth will do everything in their power to make sure they never get into those positions.

Its appalling I must tell you bruv.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by bayocanny: 9:49pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

How many of us know this?
Few, Mr tonye let me use this medium to tell you to desist from partisan politics especially being a youth it doesn't help u in a long run, let us hold every administration to ransom starting from local level to federal, irrespective of political class or affiliation we shouldn't praise them for anything unless they really deserve it, we citizens has been sideline from our constitution right. No politician deserve our praise we should begin to criticize them either they do good or bad because that's the only way we can achieve transparency and the voice of the common can be heard let call ”a spade a spade”, Nigeria is not too old look at malaysia, singapore those countries are now developed I hope and pray that we will still get there
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by ibietela2(m): 9:51pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

[b]The Attitude of Nigeria Youth:

Our Youths Must Wake Up:

May God Bless Us All
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by JETROYA(m): 9:59pm On Oct 13, 2015
Who are you and who told you?
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by MrSly(m): 10:06pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Our Youths Must Wake Up:

May God Bless Us All
This write up is fallacious, outrageous and absolutely wide off the mark
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Haywhymido(m): 10:10pm On Oct 13, 2015
The youths will never be ready if the senior citizens don't give 'em chance.Dat is why i keep saying Nigeria has no future.When these senior citizens are gone who will take up the helm,the political ignorant youths dat knw how to vote in/out polithieves only?? Orisa ta ban sin ta fi mo omo ani, yio parun ni. It is nt as if the senior citizens of dis country av been doing well 4 the past years. It is only the winning team dat is advicable nt to change, u change the ever failing team.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by dukecharles(m): 10:11pm On Oct 13, 2015
sandraokosun:
who the hell are u decieving! Stick to ur pdp idiocy, u cant claim to be speaking libraly for the youth when u are a fully partisan pdp bigot, who by the way got a 75yr old ahmadu ali as it youth minister, i guess u couldnt even convice ur pot belly cabals and ur men of 2moro the anenihs,clark,tukur,george,ibb of ths world. Pdp killed the hope of youth in nigeria with the money bribes. Made NANS its party youth wing as well as CAN. This article should be coming from a non partisan person, who is trully interested in youth welfare

I think you should forget about about where it is coming from, and meditate on the content.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Lakeland4321: 10:12pm On Oct 13, 2015
TheSonOfMark:
The same SHORTCHANGED youths would besiege this thread to spew cliched hogwash like "wailers" and any of such partisan dysphemism as against brainstorming 'cause admitting the current administration has no plan to phase youths into leadership roles is an admission of them doing a piss-poor job at rooting for the supposed sanctimonious pseudo-change-spewing geriatric political jobbers.
⚡⚡⚡
Are you an Obahiagbon wannabe?
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by ststyreal(f): 10:13pm On Oct 13, 2015
sirfemoz:
I think Nigerian youths have sold their rights and privileges over bags of money. That's the more reason people like Audu Ogbe will still remain in active politics.
Don't mind those grandpas that don't want to retire. As for the Nigerian youths, this is the time to sit and have a rethink.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:22pm On Oct 13, 2015
bayocanny:

Few, Mr tonye let me use this medium to tell you to desist from partisan politics especially being a youth it doesn't help u in a long run, let us hold every administration to ransom starting from local level to federal, irrespective of political class or affiliation we shouldn't praise them for anything unless they really deserve it, we citizens has been sideline from our constitution right. No politician deserve our praise we should begin to criticize them either they do good or bad because that's the only way we can achieve transparency and the voice of the common can be heard let call ”a spade a spade”, Nigeria is not too old look at malaysia, singapore those countries are now developed I hope and pray that we will still get there
My brother, thank you very much. I'm partican because it is the only route to political power. Ideally, I'd have preferred non-partisanship and probably run as independent when I'm to run for office. Being partisan is not to butt-lick any old and failed politician. As for the government in power, it is our patriotic duty to constructively put them on their toes. Nigeria shall be great bro

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by bayocanny: 10:31pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

My brother, thank you very much. I'm partican because it is the only route to political power. Ideally, I'd have preferred non-partisanship and probably run as independent when I'm to run for office. Being partisan is not to butt-lick any old and failed politician. As for the government in power, it is our patriotic duty to constructively put them on their toes. Nigeria shall be great bro
Ameen sir, we will live to see this great nation rise to the peak
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by emitheo(m): 10:45pm On Oct 13, 2015
well said...
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by DanG1(m): 10:47pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista, I felt today you brought up something that is a bitter truth, though majority might not agree but absolutely this is just a clear truth.

We the youth are failing today and failing our future, we have decided not to get out-of-the-box education, we have decided not to educate and develop our minds, characters and personality for these top positions and as such we would continue to see recycling in our Political system.
But to say it is totally the faults of the youth is 100% false because also the elders or the older ones have also refused to take the youth along from grass-root.

No politician or political Party has decided to do grass-root development, the governments of the past and of today don't even know that these programs needs to be embarked on, hence it makes it very difficult for some focused youth out there to be heard.

We the youth of today have refused to also fight for RIGHT OR WRONG, instead we fight for Personalities or group of persons. We have not led ourselves with integrity and as such we are not taken seriously.

For me I have seen Nairaland Political section as a medium to also grow grass-root politics and education of people about Politics, what is and what not but here everyday you find people who come in here to dumb rubbish, dump alphabets, fight for FTC, hardly ready topics before posting, hardly think about the topics before responding.

How many of us know who is reading and who is not? We have not taken ourselves seriously, how are we expecting the elder ones to take us seriously.

We are yet to see young minds with bright and calculative ideas to help Nigeria move forward, you can only hear the guy say "am in USA e no concern me how dem dey suffer for naija"

We need to wake up, we need to attack our leaders but in a way that they won't be able to deflect our arguments or better still think we are worth nothing. We have to form movements to educate and put our leaders on their toes, we need to make the leaders start responding to us, we need to start questioning them and making sure that they are providing answers.

We all need to work today for a better Nigeria. We should stop supporting blindly, stop resorting to insults, we should be constructive in our words and thoughts.

We need to have strong personalities and characters, stand for a purpose and make sure it is realized.

Thank you Tonye for this thread but it is just so sad that you will find little substance from the response to the argument. You will find so much insults to the point that you will be discouraged to keep on reading.

We need to change to be able to change Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by billyG(m): 10:53pm On Oct 13, 2015
Is tonyebarcanista same as Oremussantus ?i hav had frm that e-diot 4 a longtime. grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by salveoP(m): 11:02pm On Oct 13, 2015
Onijagidijagan:
[s][/s]

who is this fool known as TonyeBarcanista? na only negative thing you dey see about Nigeria all d time. if d youth r not prepared, wot abt you My Ape
Guy, attack d message and not d messenger. Constructive criticism is allowed...
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by pauldehero(m): 11:09pm On Oct 13, 2015
youthboat is the answer , save a soul today
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by noblegrex: 11:16pm On Oct 13, 2015
As easy as it sounds 'politics' there are so many things behind it. True talk,but I think most Nigerian youth are afraid of the bloodiness of politics.nobody won pkyn but they won go heaven.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by sparkleRed(f): 11:32pm On Oct 13, 2015
pus30:
[size=38pt] 4Country of Western Nigeria. [/size]

Prof Isaac Adewole
Dr. Kayode Fayemi
Mrs. Kemi Adeosun (father may not be from)
Claudious Omoleye Daramola

[size=38pt] 11 East (8 igbo) 9 state[/size]

Senator Chris Ngige
Rotimi Amaechi
Prof Anthony Onwuka
Jeffery Onyema
Ahmed Isa Ibeto (father Igbo)
Okechukwu Enelama
Emmanuel Kachukwu
Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu
Dr O Ehaneri(Father from the east )
Heineken Lokpobiri
Senator Udo Udoma

[size=38pt] 22 North[/size]

Brig. Gen M.M Dan Ali
Zainab Shamsuna Ahmed
Adamu Adamu
Muhammadu Bello
Abubakar Malami (SAN) (Kebbi);
Abdurahman Bello Dambazzau (Kano);
Aisha Jumai Al Hassan (Taraba);
Mustapha Baba Shesuri
Alhaji Lai Mohammed
Khadijatu Bukar Abba Ibrahim,
Miss Aisha Abubakar
Alhaji Fashola Raji (north origin)
Alhaji Adebayo Shittu
Abubakar Buhari Bawa
Mrs. Amina Ibrahim
Mr. Suleiman Adamu
Barr. James E. Ocholi
Ibrahim Usman Jibril
Senator Hadi Sirika
Solomon Dalong
Chief Audu Ogbeh
Pst Usani Usani Uguru

high tym u stopped making dis mistake Udo Udoma is from akwaibom d south south region u guys need to learn geographical zoning of each states * deep sigh* east and south south re different even Dr Osagie representing edo is south south nt east pls

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:36pm On Oct 13, 2015
DanG1:
TonyeBarcanista, I felt today you brought up something that is a bitter truth, though majority might not agree but absolutely this is just a clear truth.

We the youth are failing today and failing our future, we have decided not to get out-of-the-box education, we have decided not to educate and develop our minds, characters and personality for these top positions and as such we would continue to see recycling in our Political system.
But to say it is totally the faults of the youth is 100% false because also the elders or the older ones have also refused to take the youth along from grass-root.

No politician or political Party has decided to do grass-root development, the governments of the past and of today don't even know that these programs needs to be embarked on, hence it makes it very difficult for some focused youth out there to be heard.

We the youth of today have refused to also fight for RIGHT OR WRONG, instead we fight for Personalities or group of persons. We have not led ourselves with integrity and as such we are not taken seriously.

For me I have seen Nairaland Political section as a medium to also grow grass-root politics and education of people about Politics, what is and what not but here everyday you find people who come in here to dumb rubbish, dump alphabets, fight for FTC, hardly ready topics before posting, hardly think about the topics before responding.

How many of us know who is reading and who is not? We have not taken ourselves seriously, how are we expecting the elder ones to take us seriously.

We are yet to see young minds with bright and calculative ideas to help Nigeria move forward, you can only hear the guy say "am in USA e no concern me how dem dey suffer for naija"

We need to wake up, we need to attack our leaders but in a way that they won't be able to deflect our arguments or better still think we are worth nothing. We have to form movements to educate and put our leaders on their toes, we need to make the leaders start responding to us, we need to start questioning them and making sure that they are providing answers.

We all need to work today for a better Nigeria. We should stop supporting blindly, stop resorting to insults, we should be constructive in our words and thoughts.

We need to have strong personalities and characters, stand for a purpose and make sure it is realized.

Thank you Tonye for this thread but it is just so sad that you will find little substance from the response to the argument. You will find so much insults to the point that you will be discouraged to keep on reading.

We need to change to be able to change Nigeria

I wish I can dedicate some moment to reply this beautiful write-up. Very lovely! We need to retire the old men.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Bevista: 12:19am On Oct 14, 2015
Onijagidijagan:
who is this fool known as TonyeBarcanista? na only negative thing you dey see about Nigeria all d time. if d youth r not prepared, wot abt you My Ape
Easy pal. You can make your point or even disagree with his views without necessarily being abusive.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:39am On Oct 14, 2015
joseph1832:
The funny thing is the uneducated, un enlightened, illiterate youth are more than the educated youth and these youth, by virtue of nepotism, tribal and religious affiliation tend to occupy position they're not suppose to.

The progressive minded and educated youth you speak of hardly ever get the chance to occupy positions of leadership, they're always if not often drowned by nepostism.

When you listen to the way most of these illiterate youth talk, you just have to shake your head and even when those youth who are enlightened get the chance to occupy positions of leadership, if its by election, rest assured that the illiterate and un enlightened youth will do everything in their power to make sure they never get into those positions.

Its appalling I must tell you bruv.

Yeah. This, I truly understand.

The illiterate youth have godfathers and know how to play dirty politics because that is all they know.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Ndeewonu: 5:41am On Oct 14, 2015
warrior01:

Heard that when Audu Ogbeh was been screened by Older Saraki in 1982

Part of our problem as youths, why we can never be appointed ministers, is our English--very woeful and awful!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Sheggy13(m): 5:52am On Oct 14, 2015
sparkleRed:

high tym u stopped making dis mistake Udo Udoma is from akwaibom d south south region u guys need to learn geographical zoning of each states * deep sigh* east and south south re different even Dr Osagie representing edo is south south nt east pls
You should have the person u quoted on Nairaland and his antecedents here. Someone classifying Fashola and Abebayo Shittu as Northerners should never be taken seriously lol.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by warrior01: 6:28am On Oct 14, 2015
Ndeewonu:

Part of our problem as youths, why we can never be appointed ministers, is our English--very woeful and awful!

But that should have occurred to you it was an innocent error. Thanks anyway for calling my attention to it.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Ndeewonu: 6:28am On Oct 14, 2015
sparkleRed:

This is one of the things the OP is talking about. How can this type of person, who does not understand the map of Nigeria, be appointed minister?

It's sad that the man does not know what we are talking about! What a shame!
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Jimohlawal(m): 6:32am On Oct 14, 2015
I once discuss this with my friends but most of them think its not possible for we youths to lead this country in anyway, I felt so sad with the response I got from them.
God bless Nigeria youths
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by sparkleRed(f): 6:32am On Oct 14, 2015
Sheggy13:

You should have the person u quoted on Nairaland and his antecedents here. Someone classifying Fashola and Abebayo Shittu as Northerners should never be taken seriously lol.

didnt knw he was a joker

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

President Buhari Meets CAN Members At The State House, Abuja / Osinbajo: Jonathan Shared N150bn Two Weeks To 2015 Polls / 2019: 10 Reasons Why Many Senators, Reps Won’t Return

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.