Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? (15661 Views)

Couple Use Power-Bike For Church Wedding In Enugu(pictured) / Bisoye Obasanjo's Traditional Wedding In Ebonyi State / Who Is Ayiri Emami - The Man Who Had The Most Expensive Wedding In History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by rooshie(f): 12:44pm On Apr 23, 2009
Just Out Of Curiosity, Is It Possible To Have A "small" Wedding In Nigeria?

I'm asking in terms of people that will attend. At my older sisters wedding, there were soooo many people, including some that just seem to have appeared. My sis says it isn't worth fighting with your in-laws to reduce the number of people at the wedding. However, my other sister(who is a little more stubborn) says you can just be harsh and not invite people you don't to invite. The thing is, you know how people can be, such as mum and dad's coworkers who want to be there, and that midwife who bathed you after you were born, and that uncle who gave you 'money for biscuit' when you were 10. I was just wondering if its actually possible to have a wedding in 9ja with only 100 of the closest fam and friends. What do you guys think? How should one go about it? (I'm not getting married yet,lol) peace out

1 Like

Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by brutal(m): 12:48pm On Apr 23, 2009
100 is 2 much.i don't like crowd.family and close friends r enough.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by yme1(f): 1:01pm On Apr 23, 2009
yes you can have a small wedding in naija
it all depends on the couples involved
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by touchmeder: 1:07pm On Apr 23, 2009
i think you can although you might have to do alot of apology to so many people thereafter n thats if parents from both side can respect your desire for a small ceremony.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by kay7: 2:58pm On Apr 23, 2009
yes you can. But you need to carry your people and his people along.

I've attended weddings of less than 100 people
1, at the registry
2, at a church service (evening service)
3, parlour wedding - just close family and friends.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by Hollysmile: 3:09pm On Apr 23, 2009
I hope for such (less dan 100 guests) kinda weddings in ma own time.
But trust naija nao! After de wedding, comes de begging! But me no send!
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by IFELEKE(m): 3:23pm On Apr 23, 2009
@Poster,
Yes you can do a small wedding(crowdwise) here is Nigeria,The determining factor is the couple and their immediate families.
A court wedding and a private reception will do the magic.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by Secretz(f): 3:38pm On Apr 23, 2009
It is possible as I recently went to my cousins wedding in naija, and it was small, but you have to let the invitees know they are the ones being invited. As I have also been to weddings that were meant to be small and ended up large because invitees were inviting others, lol Court/Registry wedding would be a start. grin
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by spikedcylinder: 3:43pm On Apr 23, 2009
The best thing is not to inform people you are getting married. Just go to the registry with your intended and members of your immediate family.
No one is going to kill you if you tell them "hey, I got married last weekend".

1 Like

Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by dominique(f): 4:42pm On Apr 23, 2009
spikedcylinder:

The best thing is not to inform people you are getting married. Just go to the registry with your intended and members of your immediate family.

LOL if only things were that simple here in naija, i would have pulled that stunt. if i done that, my parents will prolly say "well,  thats your business, now we're now going to throw a massive wedding ceremony that'll be the talk of the town" trust yoruba people. there's nothing we love than over the top weddings.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by spikedcylinder: 5:03pm On Apr 23, 2009
Believe me, it is possible. You just have to enforce it.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by ofala(m): 6:47pm On Apr 23, 2009
You can absolutely have 'pocket-size',small wedding here in Nigeria.Now look at it this way,if you set your priority well and know the limit of your purse,will it be better you wedd and go abegging the next morning.Even if you aint going hungry next morning but will have to over-adjust becuase you wedded,wont it be good you wedd small and help your lives positively with the finances you have.
FACT IS THAT WEDDING DOESNT COST MONEY ,WHAT COST MONEY IS THE PARTY AFTER THE WEDDING.SO WHY DONT YOU PARTY TO YOUR SIZE?
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by sherifatou: 1:07am On Apr 24, 2009
never heard of a small Nigerian wedding outside of the marriage registry.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by didit1(m): 9:53am On Apr 24, 2009
spikedcylinder:

This is exactly the type of wedding i want to have and then get back home to have a parlour wedding and chops and nothing like an after-party behind me, i already told my family members and my guy has to be ready for it whether he likes it or not.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by velmaN(f): 8:58am On Apr 25, 2009
LOL if only things were that simple here in naija, i would have pulled that stunt. if i done that, my parents will probably say "well,  thats your business, now we're now going to throw a massive wedding ceremony that'll be the talk of the town" trust yoruba people. there's nothing we love than over the top weddings.

That is so true, I can imagine my folks saying dat, and family also sayin "I av bin to all my friends kids weddin why should my own be different (na momsy they talk dat one d most sha)".

I hope someday, naija would reach a place where u can av a church weddin with those u really want and not necessarily having to go to the registry.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by NaJaHaJe(f): 9:11am On Apr 25, 2009
am struggling with that at the moment . . . . . personally 150 is just perfect but from what i hear that's a very selfish notion in naija weddings. Am real pissed. i think it just might work if i do it Invitation only. but apparently that is real snobbish!!!!

Do these people even think money is involved HEAVILY in this thing? angry angry angry angry

Dont mind me am just ranting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by invisible2(m): 9:58am On Apr 25, 2009
Had less than 50 persons in ma marriage in Naija, the marriage is for both of us and not for the crowd.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by FBS: 7:25pm On Apr 25, 2009
Yes it is possible.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by slimfine(f): 6:10pm On Apr 26, 2009
is possible but you still have to add at lease 25 or more uninvited guests
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:03am On Apr 27, 2009
I was in the park on sarutday and i saw the most beautiful, organised and simple wedding i ve seen in Nigeria. Garden wedding started at 4pm finished at 6, less than 50 guest. Am sure bride and groom did not break their bank account to have a "society wedding". Thats my dream wedding.
You can have a small wedding if you do it in a nuetral city, say your family is in lagos and you come to Abuja to get married, you can be sure there will be no uninvited guest.

1 Like

Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by ifyalways(f): 9:09am On Apr 27, 2009
If u want a small wedding,u and ur family shldn't go to other ppls wedding and parties uninvited. tongue
@Topic,its possible but quite rare.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 29, 2009
//
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Apr 29, 2009
yes! cuz we had just 200 ppl at my wedding. the secret is no invitation cards and probably a registry wedding.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by touchmeder: 2:08pm On Apr 29, 2009
i dream of a small wedding. the traditional only the immediate family no drums or dancing outside after the bride price. the white wedding close friends and close family members no mum/dad's friends from fellowship, place of work vice versa. i have my work cut out for me and i know i'd have to meet them halfway. cheesy
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by shushu(f): 11:55pm On May 01, 2009
yes it is. i had less than 30people at my weding.I actually wanted about 3people only, but had a bit more than that.i dont like weddings and the fanfare involved, its a bore.luckily i married a man who wanted a small wedding also
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by sosisi(f): 1:45am On May 02, 2009
It can happen if you move the location of the wedding.
For instance,our Yoruba friends should fix their wedding in Owerri or Njikoka
Those in Igboland should do their wedding in Ijebu ode or Abeokuta
The Calabar ones should tie the knot in Kafanchan and the northerners should have their's in Yenegoa.
That's the only way you're guaranteed a small wedding and at the same time see other parts of the nation.
No gate crashers

1 Like

Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by JJYOU: 1:57am On May 02, 2009
never possible. we only did our thanksgiving in naija. no cards no publicity. my dad and cheif organiser said maximum 300 including church people sister nwando it was more than 1200.

i only personally invited 5 people so plus wife lets say 10. bearing in mind the mrs dont know no soul there so they were all my people if you ask me. till today there are still people quarelling i didnt allow them attend my wedding. never knew my famiily was that large.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by sosisi(f): 2:22am On May 02, 2009
JJYOU:

never possible. we only did our thanksgiving in naija. no cards no publicity. my dad and cheif organiser said maximum 300 including church people sister nwando it was more than 1200.

i only personally invited 5 people so plus wife lets say 10. bearing in mind the mrs dont know no soul there so they were all my people if you ask me. till today there are still people quarelling i didnt allow them attend my wedding. never knew my famiily was that large.

my brother long time

how about the people tripping over themselves and about to "assasinate" those sharing out the free umbrellas and clocks.
It's a miracle I didn't die in my hometown last December grin
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by platinumnk(f): 3:33am On May 02, 2009
now u got me scard to marry in 9ja oh
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by Sissy3(f): 3:47am On May 02, 2009
platinumnk:

now u got me scard to marry in 9ja oh

why the scariness?
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by TOYOSI20(f): 5:04am On May 02, 2009
Absolutely . . . for whatever reason, whether it be cos of a limited budget. . . .Or privacy or what have u,

plan well, invites strictly by invitation and most importantly a small setting would greatly help, . . . . wink

Cos u wouldn’t rent a huge hall and expect folks not to turn out lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed. . . .It’s all about planning ahead and being savvy!!
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by AloyEmeka9: 6:15am On May 02, 2009
Why are you people scared of making extra akpu na rice for wedding crashers?. I don't think it's the food that makes a wedding expensive rather it's the costumes, hotel and other trivial things the bride   wink wink add to jack up the budget.

@OP, yes you can have a private small wedding in Naija. In igboland, it's called 'morning mass wedding' or 'father, abeg doam quick quick'. grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Wedding Pictures / Girls Go Wild And Allow Guys Touch Their Boobs At A Festival In Spain18+ / Pictures As Wizkid (Big Wiz) Performs At Flytime Music Festivals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.