Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,365 members, 7,800,738 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Oliseh Vs Enyema. Something Similar Happened Before And It Is Happening Again - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Oliseh Vs Enyema. Something Similar Happened Before And It Is Happening Again (950 Views)

Did Lionel Messi Predict Argentina's Defeat? See What Happened Before Match.PICS / Breaking News'breaking News' Enyema Resigns / Oliseh Vs. Enyeama And The Impending Doom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Oliseh Vs Enyema. Something Similar Happened Before And It Is Happening Again by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:38am On Oct 08, 2015
[b]Oliseh made Bonfrere drop me for Dosu at Atlanta ’96 —Babayaro

Atlanta ’96 Olympic gold medalist, Emmanuel Babayaro, talks about his time as a footballer and his sojourn into the entertainment industry in this interview with ’TANA AIYEJINA

You were first choice for the U-23 team ahead of the 1996 Olympics but coach Bonfrere Jo dropped you for Dosu Joseph when the competition began in Atlanta. What happened?

Dosu is my brother and whatever I say now won’t change anything. A problem I had with Bonfrere caused it. There are certain actions you take as a youngster and you are not guided. I will speak as I felt at that time based on my maturity and intelligence. I had been the first choice all through; I kept all the games we played before the Olympics.

I’ll say what I thought happened. Sunday Oliseh was very influential in the team and Bonfrere had a lot of respect for him. Oliseh is like a brother to Dosu; Dosu was influential in making Julius Berger sign Oliseh before he moved to Europe. At the time, Dosu was to sign for Reggiana and what stopped him was a national cap. Everybody in the team was very good. So, when Oliseh tried to influence Bonfrere (to use Dosu), it was easy because whoever was in goal, would do well. Before our first match, Bonfrere called me to his room; Musa Abdullahi and Willy Bazuaye were there. You can enquire from them what I am about to tell you. This is what he told me and I quote, “Due to reasons best known to me, I’ll prefer to use Dosu. I don’t owe any player for inclusion and exclusion from the team.” He said he owed me that much because I was mentally and physically prepared. I felt slighted as a young man and I asked him, “If performance is criteria for being in the first team, have I failed in this regard?” He said, “No.”

I am not going to lie to you, I started insulting him. I told him to go to hell. Tijani Babangida got wind of what happened and he said it was for team interest. He was privy to what was happening. I called Dosu to my room and told him, “I want you to know that I will never hate you and undermine you in any way. I want you to know that I am human but my anger won’t be directed at you but Bonfrere. If I were in your shoes, I will take the chance too but I have everything against the coach.” He was okay with my explanation and we sat together after every game to analyse his performance. He told me to help him out in areas of improvement.

After the Olympics, Sani Toro told me that Bonfrere told him that I was the best keeper but he kept me out because I was not disciplined. There are no hard feelings. I did what I did because of what I was at the time. If it was now, I wouldn’t have reacted the way I did then. I use these experiences to train my players now.[/b]

http://www.punchng.com/sports/sportlight/oliseh-made-bonfrere-drop-me-for-dosu-at-atlanta-96-babayaro/

1 Like

Re: Oliseh Vs Enyema. Something Similar Happened Before And It Is Happening Again by Bambless1(m): 3:45am On Oct 08, 2015
Oliseh! Oliseh!! Na Only You Waka Come?

1 Like

Re: Oliseh Vs Enyema. Something Similar Happened Before And It Is Happening Again by ENGRJCJ(m): 3:58am On Oct 08, 2015
Story for the gods... Enyema is a nice guy, y didn't he attend the guy's mum burial if he doesn't have personal hatred on him.. Discipline ni disciple ko

(1) (Reply)

Full List Of 2015 CAF Awards Winners / UEFA Super Cup Final!! Real Madrid VS Manchester United On Tuesday, 7:45 PM / Chelsea Willing To Sell Eden Hazard For £110m As Barcelona Consider Move: Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.