Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) (40554 Views)

See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries / Plane That Will Travel London To New York In 2 Hours, Unveiled {photos} / Dino Melaye Shares Cost Of Flying From Nigeria To New York Back In The Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by AmakaDNBStories(f): 8:18am On Oct 08, 2015
Na still the same thing jor.

Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by DrChatNuff: 8:18am On Oct 08, 2015
it cost N428 to travel to UK in 1984
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by bobmatex01: 8:18am On Oct 08, 2015
GET UNLIMITED INTERNET DATA ON YOUR COMPUTER FOR #2,500 MONTHLY. Watch live football matches and download 2015 movies all for free. CALL 08068638366
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by fizzle19(m): 8:18am On Oct 08, 2015
17k back den no be chikini money na. So watz d difference
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 8:18am On Oct 08, 2015
How many persons cn afford 17k bck thn?? Meanwhile, my dad bought his first car 15k thn grin grin
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by GodMode: 8:19am On Oct 08, 2015
Nnemuka:
That was before IBB and Abacha came. Those two Hausa mallams destroyed Nigeria.....
Another northern mallam is there now...
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by deetomee: 8:19am On Oct 08, 2015
The Difference between a dollar and a naira wasn't much back then.
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by missKiffy(f): 8:20am On Oct 08, 2015
17k no be small money then nah, besides there would be a time it would be cheaper
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by fleksy: 8:20am On Oct 08, 2015
it was expensive still because we spend kobo back then and you are made to account for every KOBO. I recall i booked a flight with N6500:00. the receipt is at the museum
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by Nobody: 8:20am On Oct 08, 2015
The then 17k is worth more than now 1million!!
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by beyoncausme: 8:21am On Oct 08, 2015
that was a huge amount then...air travel has always been expensive.
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by delishpot: 8:21am On Oct 08, 2015
That money could buy a plot of land in those days OP 17k was not cheap at all at all then o. Those days peoples salaries were like 500 naira per month. Besides OP can you place a date?
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by WailingWailer00(m): 8:22am On Oct 08, 2015
Obrigardo:
N17k then was not small money. Traveling by Air has always been expensive right from the beginning. This thread is so unintelligent.
Keep quiet and applaud the OP for bringing back memories of the Good old days

Which thread you don create
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by tk4rd: 8:23am On Oct 08, 2015
sandrajazmin:
Is it jst me, or are dere ppl who read coments on jst 1st page and ignore d rest?
Jst askn sha
For sure naa
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 08, 2015
pat077:
He no easy to get the money that time

E easy to get the money now? cheesy
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 08, 2015
undecided sad

That money was not easy to come by in dose days..
It's a big pity dat d Naira value which was equivalent to Dollar dat time Has lost its value...
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by tunatrezy(m): 8:36am On Oct 08, 2015
interested in real FIXED MATCHES beep me on facebook with thiz username tunatrezy
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by xynerise: 8:39am On Oct 08, 2015
You can't compare salaries of then and now. N300 as salary and you are a rich man.
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by 400billionman: 8:45am On Oct 08, 2015
xreal:
Should I say "we will get back there, or we will return there" ?

Anyway, I am Nigerian.

Not with an import dependent economy.
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by Truckpusher(m): 8:47am On Oct 08, 2015
California30:
It wasn't cheap in the 60's.
The N17 will get you a brand new car.

It's relatively cheap now.
I flew from Lagos to New York last month at 100 thousand naira but na world tour i go (5 hour stop in Qatar, 4 hour stop in Holland, 9 hour stop in Germany)
Dem use airline do taxi for you be that . grin
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by gragraboy: 9:00am On Oct 08, 2015
Obrigardo:
N17k then was not small money. Traveling by Air has always been expensive right from the beginning. This thread is so unintelligent.
How is it unintelligent, Mr intelligence?
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by porigho: 9:03am On Oct 08, 2015
When I travelled to d Uk in 1981 it cost me 500 naira
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by Boyewu: 9:04am On Oct 08, 2015
17,000 then was a big money, even in 1986 my brother bought his new 505, 2.0 at the rate of 17, 500. He still sold the vehicle 200, 000 14,years later. If OP can tell us the exact year we will be able to tell him the value of Naira to Dollar then. Let us believe that there will be positive change that will take Nigeria to a stable level.
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by Nobody: 9:04am On Oct 08, 2015
There are 2 pictures in the OP, they are not from the same advert. The picture looks like it's from the '60s but we did not start using the Naira till 1973. Furthermore the plane in the picture is a Britannia 102 propeller in use in the '60s, by the time Naira was in use all long haul Nigeria Airways planes were jet powered. Dc-10s, boeing 707s etc

In 1976, a VW beetle cost N3000, a 504 N5000 and a mercedes 200 N8000, a to civil servant or professor's salary was N9000. In 1987 I bought a ticket to london for N500 (five hundred)

It looks to me like someone is being creative and took the picture from the sixties advert and pasted it along with air fare from the babangida era likely early '90s. At no time during the era called the good old days (pre 1982) was a ticket to Newyork N17,000. By the time a ticket was N17,000, things were already bad.

That being said if you track the forex rates over the last 40 years, you will see there has been no meaningful change in the price of air tickets. Ticket prices especially economy are still the same today in dollar terms as they were in the 70's
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by Nobody: 9:07am On Oct 08, 2015
Our family house, a one-storey building and big house by then standard, was built with 4k in 1958.

1 Like

Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by IDERAWOLE(m): 9:15am On Oct 08, 2015
stephenduru:
I can't believe this.Travelling from Lagos to New York once cost 17k.This was back in the days when things were still good in Nigeria and our leaders were a little bit less or not corrupt.Compare it with the amount you have to pay now if you want to travel from Lagos to New York.

Source: http://trezzy2..com/2015/10/see-how-much-it-cost-to-travel-from.html

What's the exchange rate of naira to dollar then?
If you do your calculation It's almost the same.
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by favourmic(m): 9:33am On Oct 08, 2015
Nigeria go better one day one day
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by mayorkyzo: 9:41am On Oct 08, 2015
If the op is smart then he/she would know that that 17k+ is actually more expensive than now..air travel then was for the extremely wealthy folks..my father bought his land and built an amazing bungalow with less than 5k..So at 17k it was damn expensive...
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by opribo(m): 9:53am On Oct 08, 2015
Lack of visionary leaders, self centered bigots, tribalism, ethnicity and wicked human beings have robbed us of the opportunity for all of us to live and sustain the good old days. If we had selfless leaders who thought about the collective good of all, leaders who believed in Nigeria and not themselves and their own, believe you me if at all the prices of that ticket changes it would be due to global effect but even at that the difference wont be so much.

But when you have highway robbers as leaders who have looted all our money and built mansions for themselves all over the world and in Nigeria, the least they care is Nigeria. If Nigeria wants to perish it doesnt concern them, they have made it from our commonwealth. We must go after them from the regime of 1983 down to now, any politician or military man must be probed to return this nation back on track.

1 Like

Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by teamgarri2: 10:01am On Oct 08, 2015
Time changes yesterday

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ABC Transport - Passengers Beware! / Nigerian Man And Pregnant Wife Die In Ghastly Motor Accident, Son Survives / Kano Kofar Ruwa Underpass Completed, Ready For Launching (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.