Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,177 members, 7,807,568 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates (1917 Views)

Vincent Enyeama's Wife Speaks Up On His Retirement From Super Eagles / Photos Of Vincent Enyeama Leaving Super Eagles Camp / Vincent Enyeama Finally Quits Unceremoniously. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by safarigirl(f): 12:11pm On Oct 08, 2015
Vincent Enyeama retired today. Apart from few sane people who wished him well, a majority of ungrateful nobodies felt the need to curse at him. I love how Nigerians suddenly remembered that there's a cabal that Enyeama heads, that Enyeama is arrogant, he's renowned for insurbodination. It doesn't even matter to us that Enyeama was consistent for 13 Years of his life, all those great saves he made against Messi, Aguero and other top class players mean nothing, all the games he saved us from being embarrased by teams like Gambia, doesn't matter, after all, we have Carl Ikeme. Yes, after 2 games against 2 mediocre teams, Ikeme is suddenly the 2nd Neuer. This is how we shame our players and then tomorrow, we expect sane people to play for Nigeria over countries that won't treat them like trash when it matters. It's sickening how ungrateful Nigerians are. There will ALWAYS be a cabal, whether by Keshi, Oliseh, Yobo, Enyeama or even Musa, that cabal will always be there. Today will mark the beginning of the change and if Oliseh will be hero or villain cc: Icon4s, thesupernerd, bascovanveli, dannycrusoe, linked

7 Likes

Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 08, 2015
safarigirl:
Vincent Enyeama retired today. Apart from few sane people who wished him well, a majority of ungrateful nobodies felt the need to curse at him. I love how Nigerians suddenly remembered that there's a cabal that Enyeama heads, that Enyeama is arrogant, he's renowned for insurbodination. It doesn't even matter to us that Enyeama was consistent for 13 Years of his life, all those great saves he made against Messi, Aguero and other top class players mean nothing, all the games he saved us from being embarrased by teams like Gambia, doesn't matter, after all, we have Carl Ikeme. Yes, after 2 games against 2 mediocre teams, Ikeme is suddenly the 2nd Neuer. This is how we shame our players and then tomorrow, we expect sane people to play for Nigeria over countries that won't treat them like trash when it matters. It's sickening how ungrateful Nigerians are. There will ALWAYS be a cabal, whether by Keshi, Oliseh, Yobo, Enyeama or even Musa, that cabal will always be there. Today will mark the beginning of the change and if Oliseh will be hero or villain

2 Likes

Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Mynd44: 12:41pm On Oct 08, 2015
Football matters?
*pukes*
Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ksslib, wetin you de find for here?
Abi you don dey like sports? grin
Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Ksslib(m): 1:17pm On Oct 08, 2015
blueto:
Ksslib, wetin you de find for here?

Abi you don dey like sports? grin
grin..See this one. For ur mind, you like sports pass me abi.

I should be the one asking you that question? angry

1 Like

Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Ksslib(m): 1:19pm On Oct 08, 2015
I believe majority of Nigerians are with Vincent on this brouhaha.

Safarigirl, the ungrateful Nigerians you are talking about, where you for see them? Just curious.
Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by safarigirl(f): 1:23pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ksslib:
I believe majority of Nigerians are with Vincent on this brouhaha.

Safarigirl, the ungrateful Nigerians you are talking about, where you for see them? Just curious.
on Nairaland and even where I dey now. They think Oliseh's removal of Enyeama will bring 'sanity' to the team

2 Likes

Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Ksslib(m): 1:40pm On Oct 08, 2015
safarigirl:
on Nairaland and even where I dey now. They think Oliseh's removal of Enyeama will bring 'sanity' to the team
Well, you know what they say about a coin always having two sides to it. Same way there are people out there who feel Hitler was right with the massacre. Iam not surprised that there are people cursing at Vicent, its a human thing. Embedded deep in our Dna.

Dont work up yourself too much. Majority of Nigerians appreciate what he has done for the the team. Take solace in that fact.
Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by zuchyblink(m): 1:50pm On Oct 08, 2015
this was the reason i stopped working too hard in the office,because at last they wouldn't show appreciation rather the reverse will be the case.
I never liked Oliseh

1 Like

Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:56pm On Oct 08, 2015
Farewell Vincent, I'm sad to see you go this way.

Honestly, THIS WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. This is no way to see "A Legend" go.......*tears forming* (I'm sorry guys, but this so painful).

I remember the day you announced yourself to the world at the Korea/Japan 2002 Fifa world cup in that final group game against England. You produced a top-drawer save off a "David Beckham" free-kick. I was only 10+ yrs of age at the time but your youth and prospects for the future gave me a reason to smile and believe that one day I would see Nigeria lift the Afcon title again.

I was only 2yrs old when Nigeria last conquered Africa. Though I started reading at age 3 (2.5 yrs to be precise), I was no where near knowing of any game called "football".

It all started at age 7+ in 1999 when I realised how proud I felt seeing Nigeria win games. Then I started to dream.
*I never knew that He would go on to be the Only African Gk to ever score in a "UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE" game*

Then came Vincent Enyeama in 2002. He went on to man the posts in Nigeria's "historic win" over Cameroun at the 2004 Afcon Quarter-finals. I was only 12 but boyyyyyyy!!!!!!! I WENT BERSERK. BEING A STUDIOUS AND PRETTY EXCELLENT SCHOLAR IN MY ACADEMICS, FOOTBALL WAS MY MAJOR JOY OUTSIDE THE ACADEMIC WORLD......... AND VINCENT WAS MY HERO IN GOAL.

Vincent Ime Enyeama "Saved" us on "COUNTLESS OCCASIONS". DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN ENYEAMA SET THE RECORD FOR THE MOST PENALTY SAVES IN ONE AFCON GAME?
It was in 2006, Mikel's debut tournament. Stage was the quarter-finals vs. Tunisia (then reigning champs). Nigeria won 6-5 on penalties with Enyeama making 3 saves during the shootout in addition to the "one save from the spot" he made during the 90mins b4 extra-time.

A LOT OF NIGERIANS DON'T KNOW THAT VINCENT ENYEAMA "NEVER LOST" A QUARTER-FINAL GAME AT THE AFCON. When Nigeria lost out to Ghana in the quarters in 2008, Vincent was not in goal, IT WAS EJIDE.

SO MANY GLORIOUS MOMENTS PASSED....... NIGERIA'S GENERATION OF KANU, MARTINS, ABBEY GEROGE, GARBA LAWAL, UTAKA, ISAAC OKORONKWO, AIYEGBENI, AGHAHOWA, TAIWO, AND A HOST OF OTHERS WOBBLED, FUMBLED AND SOMETIMES GAVE US HOPE ONLY TO GET TO THE "SEMIS" OF AN AFCON AND DROWN..........

But through it all, Vincent shone like a million stars............

THEN CAME THE MOMENT OF GLORY, WHEN A KESHI-LED YOUNG BUT DYNAMIC AND "FULL OF SURPRISES" SUPER EAGLES SIDE LED BY ENYEAMA AND YOBO.... STUNNED AFRICA AND THE WORLD.......... By lifting the 2013 Afcon.

Enyeama was the "hero" of it all alongside Mba, Mikel, Onazi, Victor Moses, ETC.....

BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT THE VICTORY WAS BUILT UPON "THE GREATEST GUARDIAN ANGEL" NIGERIA HAD EVER HAD "BETWEEN THE STICKS".

THERE'S NO ARGUMENT that "History" will remember "Vincent Enyeama" as Nigeria's greatest, Finest and Most Daring Goalkeeper ahead of the legendary Emmanuel Okala(even he won't dispute this), Peter Rufai, Peter fregene, Alloy Agu, and Best Ogedengbe.

THE RECORDS ARE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATISTICS DON'T LIE.........

*I could say more....... But My heart is troubled for the Super Eagles*

It is indeed the end of an ERA........

Farewell, Sir Vincent......... Nigeria's and Africa's finest Goalie Ever.........

3 Likes

Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Funjosh(m): 2:14pm On Oct 08, 2015
Still on this Enyeama matta, please let's move on abeg. The team still not ready for any tournament and I don't see Olise to be the messiah lipsrsealed

Safarigirl take am easy o smiley
Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:19pm On Oct 08, 2015
safarigirl:
Vincent Enyeama retired today. Apart from few sane people who wished him well, a majority of ungrateful nobodies felt the need to curse at him. I love how Nigerians suddenly remembered that there's a cabal that Enyeama heads, that Enyeama is arrogant, he's renowned for insurbodination. It doesn't even matter to us that Enyeama was consistent for 13 Years of his life, all those great saves he made against Messi, Aguero and other top class players mean nothing, all the games he saved us from being embarrased by teams like Gambia, doesn't matter, after all, we have Carl Ikeme. Yes, after 2 games against 2 mediocre teams, Ikeme is suddenly the 2nd Neuer. This is how we shame our players and then tomorrow, we expect sane people to play for Nigeria over countries that won't treat them like trash when it matters. It's sickening how ungrateful Nigerians are. There will ALWAYS be a cabal, whether by Keshi, Oliseh, Yobo, Enyeama or even Musa, that cabal will always be there. Today will mark the beginning of the change and if Oliseh will be hero or villain cc: Icon4s, thesupernerd, bascovanveli, dannycrusoe, linked

For the last 13 years we have had one strategy, Enyeama takes our opponents best punches and we manage to hit them with a sucker punch. Every once in a while there comes a coach who thinks they can make it without Enyeama and so far they have failed. I hope for Nigeria's sake Oliseh does not fail but it's sure looking like it.

2 Likes

Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Icon4s(m): 3:26pm On Oct 08, 2015
safarigirl:

Enyeama's retirement didnt come as a surprise to many. Though this will b a painful lose to Nigeria bt I think it is d wisest decision for him now.

I remember Enyeama's first game for Nigeria was at the 2002 WC against a highly rated English side that had d likes of David Beckam, Paul Scholes, Steven Gerard, Michael Owen, John Terry, Reo Ferdinand, Steve MacManaman, Frank Lamperd, Emil Hesky and others. Enyeama was d 3rd choice keeper after Ike Shoromun and Austin Ejide.He made marvelous saves against d English attack and ensured we played 0-0 with England. That game is still fresh in my memory. And that was d birth of a Legendary goal keeper.

Vincient Enyeama helped Enyimba FC (my NPFL club) to back to back CAF champions league wins in 2003 & 2004. No Nigerian club had ever won dat Cup.I was on a project in Akwa-Ibom in that 2004 when the final btw Enyimba and Etoile du Sahel was played in Abuja.Austin Ejide was d Etoile Du Sahel goalie. I had to travel to d nearby Aba to watch d game with some friends. I was proud to b an Enyimba fan that day. The whole of Aba township vibrated with joy when after d penalty shoot-outs Enyimba was victorious.I remember Dele Ayenugba who was d Enyimba penalty stopper came in for Enyeama late into extra time. Enyeama even scored a penalty during regulation time to give Enyimba a 2goal lead.O Glory days of Enyimba. Felix Anyasi Agwu hu was d proprietor of Enyimba then invited me to a special dinner organised for d team by the state governor - Orji Uzor Kalu. And dat was my first meeting with Vincient Enyeama and others like Dele Ayenugba, Obinna Nwanneri, Ndidi Anumunu, Muri Ogunbiyi, Joetex Fringpong, Ogbonna Okemiri, Onyekachi Okonkwo, Emeka Nwanna, David Abuo and others.

Enyeama till date is the best goalie Nigeria has ever produced. Peter Rufai comes a distant 2nd. A goalie that has come face to face with the greatest players in d world and did nt concede against most of them.

Enyeama's decision to quit though may be painful bt I think dat is d best thing for him and our national team for now. We need to start giving a replacement some game time. Carl Ikeme can b there for d mean time bt we need to bring up our youth goalies to dat standard.

We will miss Enyeama.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Icon4s(m): 3:33pm On Oct 08, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Farewell Vincent, I'm sad to see you go this way.

Honestly, THIS WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. This is no way to see "A Legend" go.......*tears forming* (I'm sorry guys, but this so painful).

I remember the day you announced yourself to the world at the Korea/Japan 2002 Fifa world cup in that final group game against England. You produced a top-drawer save off a "David Beckham" free-kick. I was only 10+ yrs of age at the time but your youth and prospects for the future gave me a reason to smile and believe that one day I would see Nigeria lift the Afcon title again.

I was only 2yrs old when Nigeria last conquered Africa. Though I started reading at age 3 (2.5 yrs to be precise), I was no where near knowing of any game called "football".

It all started at age 7+ in 1999 when I realised how proud I felt seeing Nigeria win games. Then I started to dream.
*I never knew that He would go on to be the Only African Gk to ever score in a "UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE" game*

Then came Vincent Enyeama in 2002. He went on to man the posts in Nigeria's "historic win" over Cameroun at the 2004 Afcon Quarter-finals. I was only 12 but boyyyyyyy!!!!!!! I WENT BERSERK. BEING A STUDIOUS AND PRETTY EXCELLENT SCHOLAR IN MY ACADEMICS, FOOTBALL WAS MY MAJOR JOY OUTSIDE THE ACADEMIC WORLD......... AND VINCENT WAS MY HERO IN GOAL.

Vincent Ime Enyeama "Saved" us on "COUNTLESS OCCASIONS". DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN ENYEAMA SET THE RECORD FOR THE MOST PENALTY SAVES IN ONE AFCON GAME?
It was in 2006, Mikel's debut tournament. Stage was the quarter-finals vs. Tunisia (then reigning champs). Nigeria won 6-5 on penalties with Enyeama making 3 saves during the shootout in addition to the "one save from the spot" he made during the 90mins b4 extra-time.

A LOT OF NIGERIANS DON'T KNOW THAT VINCENT ENYEAMA "NEVER LOST" A QUARTER-FINAL GAME AT THE AFCON. When Nigeria lost out to Ghana in the quarters in 2008, Vincent was not in goal, IT WAS EJIDE.

SO MANY GLORIOUS MOMENTS PASSED....... NIGERIA'S GENERATION OF KANU, MARTINS, ABBEY GEROGE, GARBA LAWAL, UTAKA, ISAAC OKORONKWO, AIYEGBENI, AGHAHOWA, TAIWO, AND A HOST OF OTHERS WOBBLED, FUMBLED AND SOMETIMES GAVE US HOPE ONLY TO GET TO THE "SEMIS" OF AN AFCON AND DROWN..........

But through it all, Vincent shone like a million stars............

THEN CAME THE MOMENT OF GLORY, WHEN A KESHI-LED YOUNG BUT DYNAMIC AND "FULL OF SURPRISES" SUPER EAGLES SIDE LED BY ENYEAMA AND YOBO.... STUNNED AFRICA AND THE WORLD.......... By lifting the 2013 Afcon.

Enyeama was the "hero" of it all alongside Mba, Mikel, Onazi, Victor Moses, ETC.....

BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT THE VICTORY WAS BUILT UPON "THE GREATEST GUARDIAN ANGEL" NIGERIA HAD EVER HAD "BETWEEN THE STICKS".

THERE'S NO ARGUMENT that "History" will remember "Vincent Enyeama" as Nigeria's greatest, Finest and Most Daring Goalkeeper ahead of the legendary Emmanuel Okala(even he won't dispute this), Peter Rufai, Peter fregene, Alloy Agu, and Best Ogedengbe.

THE RECORDS ARE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATISTICS DON'T LIE.........

*I could say more....... But My heart is troubled for the Super Eagles*

It is indeed the end of an ERA........

Farewell, Sir Vincent......... Nigeria's and Africa's finest Goalie Ever.........

U started watching football 1999 grin

Respect ur elders. I saw Nigeria lift the maiden U17 WC in 1985. I saw Nigeria win bronze U20 in 1985. I watched little if Euro '84 & i saw Maradona blow d world away in 1986.

We watched Nigeria 99 from our University hostels. wink
Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by shiinihost: 3:44pm On Oct 08, 2015
Thank you safarigirl.

I am just watching them and laughing. They are destroying the SE institution. it's no longer fun giving your best for the SE If at the end of the day, you'd end up being treated like trash.

If enyema, our most capped player can be treated like a pig, I wonder the fate of the other players.

Ikeme is a nobody when compared with Enyeama. unlike players, keepers get better with time. Cech I over 40 yet he is still top notch.

Nigeria has missed it's most enterprising and experienced footballer all because of the rascality of one maffian coach.

#deathtothegreens

1 Like

Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:49pm On Oct 08, 2015
Hey! What's with all this childishness Sir??

Why are you telling me such "irrelevant" stuffs?

PLS SIR, DO YOU HAVE "AMNESIA"??

Because I remember telling "u to ur face" in Joseph1013's u-23 thread how I know you might have even watched the 1978 fifa wc??!!! What's wrong with this "Old Man"? Haven't I made comments along these lines before?

You just had to do this, didn't you?

Why don't you just back off??

"This cap" doesn't look good on you Sir......

Pls, just take it off........

*smiles*

Icon4s:

Respect ur elders. I saw Nigeria lift the maiden U17 WC in 1985. I saw Nigeria win bronze U20 in 1985. I watched little if Euro '84 & i saw Maradona blow d world away in 1986.

Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 08, 2015
Safarigirl, I don't think Nigerians are ingrates

A poll I conducted Here depicts that virtually every Nigerian indicts Oliseh for his deplorable misconduct.

Don't feel compunctious. the article was adervtently edifying

1 Like

Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Nobody: 5:38am On Oct 09, 2015
Ksslib:

grin..See this one. For ur mind, you like sports pass me abi.

I should be the one asking you that question? angry

what are you saying ?

So you can't understand or identify a sarcastic assertion?

you initially veiwed and left, so to me... that was a poly to bring you back and make you to comment. Of which was successful smiley
Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Nature8(m): 7:41am On Oct 09, 2015
For letting Vincent Enyama to go just like that.. And with all these unprofessional Super Eagles players, Sunday Oliseh thinks that he's gonna win anything with them and without Enyama.. He will be very disappointed and disgraced, when the time comes..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by hotcakept2: 7:48am On Oct 09, 2015
Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Ksslib(m): 8:08am On Oct 09, 2015
blueto:

what are you saying ?

So you can't understand or identify a sarcastic assertion?

you initially veiwed and left, so to me... that was a poly to bring you back and make you to comment. Of which was successful smiley
Haha.. Iam the father of sarcasm. I understood, thats why I used a laughing emoticon. You missed that?
Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 09, 2015
Ksslib:

Haha.. Iam the father of sarcasm. I understood, thats why I used a laughing emoticon. You missed that?

undecided Lies..
Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Goke7: 8:56am On Oct 09, 2015
Icon4s:

abi o, so many kids on nairaland , I also watched France 98 from my university hostel especially when Denmark gave us 4-1 and guys were asking if it was the same scores on other channels grin but give it to the lad he did a beautiful tribute to Enyema and I envy for that I must admit

2 Likes

Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Goke7: 9:03am On Oct 09, 2015
safarigirl:

I have no problem with Vincent's retirement but the circumstances around it make me sad for a Player who I feel was our best goalie ever considering the fact that goalies like Peter rufai and others kept for a team much more stronger than the team Enyema led.

someone, a highly respected journalist asked what is the fuss about Enyeama as if he is greater than segun odegbami and I laughed cos this is a goalkeeper who has gone to 3 world cups and would have been 4 if Nigeria had been in Germany 2006.

Enyeama is a legend and do i hear someone say he is unpatriotic? A player who has played for his country for 13 years is even more patriotic than some of our Governors and ex Presidents.

2 Likes

Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by Ksslib(m): 5:58pm On Oct 09, 2015
blueto:

undecided Lies..
If you say so. tongue
Re: Vincent Enyeama's Retirement: Nigerians Are Ingrates by kannymoore(m): 8:42pm On Oct 09, 2015
If Vince wants to retire then goodluck to him...
Him Don try.

But that ingrate comment from the OP is in bad taste.

He's always said he was going to retire since after the last world cup.

He also repeated it a couple of times this year.

So I dunno why everyone is feeling like someone just died.

As far as i'm concerned, we don't ave much problems with goalkeeping in the Super eagles.
Ikeme is there.. Dan Akpeiyi, Alampasu, heck there's one other very young half-Naija goalie in Monaco who we can quickly cap before some other country snaps him up.

My only pain with Enyeama's retirement is that I felt that he couldbe some sort of mentor to the younger goalies like alampasu, akpeiyi and the other Monaco fella.

All in all...Enyeama...bye-bye!

It is well.

Ps... I have a very strong feeling that this retirement of his will not last and that before long, he'll mend fences with the coach and return back to the team.

Mark my words.

Lol.

(1) (Reply)

See The Body Of Footballer Izu Joseph After He Was Shot Dead In Rivers State / Costa Shirt Number For Atletico Madrid Confirmed / Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Table Tennis Player Ever?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.