Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,750 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland (3326 Views)

Two Soldiers Wounded As Troops Raid Oil Bunkering Site In Rivers State. Photos / Navy Burns Illegal Bunkering Site In Port Harcourt As Black Soot Takes Over / Fashola At Nnamdi Azikiwe's Burial Site In Onitsha (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by Ofodirinwa: 2:42pm On Oct 08, 2015

Old Testament era iron smelting site in Igbo land.

Archaeological investigations at the prehistoric iron smelting site of Lejja, Nigeria, made possible the study of some large scale iron smelting debris – evidence of a once thriving iron smelting community. The main village squarein Lejja, contains over 800 slag blocks weighing between 34 and 57 kg. Furnaces, tuyères and slag are visible on the surfacein many places. The site has been radiocarbon dated to approximately 2000 BC. Iron smelting is currently extinct in Lejja,and there are no active iron smiths in the entire community.
http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/post/130348433827/iron-smelting-in-leja-northern-igboland-4000

9 Likes

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by athaboi(f): 2:44pm On Oct 08, 2015
Lejja..Nsk lga of enugu state

3 Likes

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by Republlican(f): 2:49pm On Oct 08, 2015
Igbo kwenu kiss

1 Like

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by OkuDiOver1(f): 2:55pm On Oct 08, 2015
wao
Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by Kasiem2: 2:59pm On Oct 08, 2015
I've so much heard about this lejja and I think I won't fail to visit that place before the year runs out

3 Likes

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by Ufranklin92(m): 3:12pm On Oct 08, 2015
na we sure pass
Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by phantom(m): 4:15pm On Oct 08, 2015
Interesting........2000 B.C
Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by Ofodirinwa: 5:00pm On Oct 08, 2015
This is before the egyptians built their pyramids shocked
also before the Chinese, Arabs, Indians, and Europeans discovered iron smelting.

7 Likes

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by Ini22(f): 5:08pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ok
Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 08, 2015
not trying to belittle anybody, but nobody knows who inhabited that place at that period.

most likely all the different ethnic occupants of modern day Nigeria migrated to their current abode relatively not too long ago.
*my opinion though*

1 Like

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by cheruv: 5:48pm On Oct 08, 2015
2005BC....

This was when pharaoh mentuhotep II ruled Kemet(Egypt)

This was when Abraham left Babylonia in search of the land that'd be shown him

This was when the Xia/Hsia dynasty ruled Sin(China)

This was when Puzur-Ashur established the Assyrian state and started its expansion

We Igbos are descendants of the ancients(Ndi Gboo) who ruled the Biafran empire. It'd be a shame if we fail to reestablish this state that our fathers ruled

8 Likes

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by Ofodirinwa: 5:49pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ioannes:
not trying to belittle anybody, but nobody knows who inhabited that place at that period.

most likely all the different ethnic occupants of modern day Nigeria migrated to their current abode relatively not too long ago.
*my opinion though*

could be, but the same can be said about Egypt, etc...but isn't. Also, the Igbo Ukwu archeological finds indicate a continuous form of art. Meaning that the art there resembles art made in Igbo land at the time of colonialism and the Igbo Ukwu art is as old as this smelting station and contains iron work.

these bronze works at Igbo Ukwu have the same nchie scarifications that can be seen on the elderly in parts of Igbo land today.
[img]http://4.bp..com/-seMyfJtl6dA/TqSdVj4rDBI/AAAAAAAAAtc/T3g4bGYhB0Y/s400/AN00058169_001_l.jpg[/img]

4 Likes

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by zuchyblink(m): 5:53pm On Oct 08, 2015
my forefathers were blacksmiths,how their works disappeared is what i don't know.

1 Like

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by cheruv: 5:56pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ioannes:

*my opinion though*
Not like it matters anyway undecided

2 Likes

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 08, 2015
Another war waged on the Igbos in addition to the war of marginalization was obfuscation. The obfuscation of every notable achievement of the Igbos. All colonial masters and whites that came to present day Nigeria spoke highly of only one people...the Igbos. In many instances, they said that they were as civilized as whites. These same whites said that the yorubas were barbarous. I'm not making this up...these are all facts. But all these were hidden from us and never taught in the school. So if you are not smart, you would think Igbo history started after the civil war like we were meant to believe when in fact dates back to more than 5000 yrs ago with Pyramid at Udi as an example of this. One of the goals in the restoration of Biafra, is to tell the truth to our children of who we are as Biafrans.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by Ofodirinwa: 6:34pm On Oct 08, 2015
zuchyblink:
my forefathers were blacksmiths,how their works disappeared is what i don't know.
If the african tradition of teaching the youths minimally, and not investing in future generations was as common then as today, I can see it.
There also has to be consideration for death and slavery. entire villages were up-rooted during the slave trade and what they knew was taken with them. Many of the slaves in the US worked as iron smiths. There's also the chance that they died off from war. There can also be a religious element. What if some sort of irrational reason caused them to stop? God commanded it for example. Since we don't write in Africa, it's easy to lose knowledge. All it takes is 1 generation not passing off the information and it's gone.
Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by fr3do(m): 7:17pm On Oct 08, 2015
Igbo Kwenu!
Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by cromz(m): 8:29pm On Oct 08, 2015
All this were learnt from their Yoruba colonial masters in the first ife empire you would notice d similarities in the arts and tribal marks because ile-ife dates back to 10000BC
Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by Nobody: 8:54pm On Oct 08, 2015
cheruv:
Not like it matters anyway undecided
and yet you took the time out to reply. obviously it matters to you.
Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by Nobody: 8:56pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ofodirinwa:

could be, but the same can be said about Egypt, etc...but isn't. Also, the Igbo Ukwu archeological finds indicate a continuous form of art. Meaning that the art there resembles art made in Igbo land at the time of colonialism and the Igbo Ukwu art is as old as this smelting station and contains iron work.

these bronze works at Igbo Ukwu have the same nchie scarifications that can be seen on the elderly in parts of Igbo land today.
[img]http://4.bp..com/-seMyfJtl6dA/TqSdVj4rDBI/AAAAAAAAAtc/T3g4bGYhB0Y/s400/AN00058169_001_l.jpg[/img]

okay, I get that. *thumbs up*
Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by coolitempa(f): 1:59am On Oct 09, 2015
new2020:
Another war waged on the Igbos in addition to the war of marginalization was obfuscation. The obfuscation of every notable achievement of the Igbos. All colonial masters and whites that came to present day Nigeria spoke highly of only one people...the Igbos. In many instances, they said that they were as civilized as whites. These same whites said that the yorubas were barbarous. I'm not making this up...these are all facts. But all these were hidden from us and never taught in the school. So if you are not smart, you would think Igbo history started after the civil war like we were meant to believe when in fact dates back to more than 5000 yrs ago with Pyramid at Udi as an example of this. One of the goals in the restoration of Biafra, is to tell the truth to our children of who we are as Biafrans.

Another deluded flat.head....yet until the whiteman came...your folks were running around naked....living in trees and boiling human flesh of their enemies for a meal........hail the superior race....... cheesy

1 Like

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by biafranqueen: 2:07am On Oct 09, 2015
coolitempa:

Another deluded flat.head....yet until the whiteman came...your folks were running around naked....living in trees and boiling human flesh of their animals for a meal........hail the superior race....... cheesy
What is your problem do you have to act like a lowlife. So we should be wearing suit and tie in 100 degree weather? Why should we be hiding our beautiful bodies and skin tone? You only hate what u can't have sorry for your life.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by biafranqueen: 2:08am On Oct 09, 2015
cromz:
All this were learnt from their Yoruba colonial masters in the first ife empire you would notice d similarities in the arts and tribal marks because ile-ife dates back to 10000BC
Really did you make a thread?

1 Like

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by Nobody: 2:08am On Oct 09, 2015
coolitempa:

Another deluded flat.head....yet until the whiteman came...your folks were running around naked....living in trees and boiling human flesh of their animals for a meal........hail the superior race....... cheesy

Barbaric yoruba idiot...according to the white man!

4 Likes

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by coolzeal(m): 2:18am On Oct 09, 2015
I knew we are different and there's something unique about the Igbo's and words alone cannot express it. However, how we manage to sow high against all odds and still remain in Nigeria that jeopardize our God given potentials baffles my wildest imagination. The earlier we enroll out of Nigeria, the better for us.

2 Likes

Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by omoelesa(m): 6:06am On Oct 09, 2015
Ibos have been hardworking from time immemorial, no wonder they have flatt heads, from excesive carrying of load.
Re: 4000 Year Old Iron Smelting Site In Igboland by staytravel: 12:19am On Sep 28, 2017
Ofodirinwa:

Old Testament era iron smelting site in Igbo land.

http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/post/130348433827/iron-smelting-in-leja-northern-igboland-4000
This is fantastic. Ndi banyi kwsiri guo ya.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Nnamdi Kanu "Discharged" / Official Results For Rivers East Senatorial District- Premiumtimes / Dapo Aruwajoye Of TVC News Appointed Press Secretary To Ondo Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.