Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,034 members, 7,803,478 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:39 PM

The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero (8397 Views)

Olayinka Omigbodun, Victor Banjo’s Daughter: Ojukwu Betrayed My Dad, Killed Him / Victor Banjo's Children Speak 50 Years After His Demise / "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by WETINUSABI: 5:11pm On Oct 08, 2015
Victor Banjo was a Nigerian army officer who was alleged to have been part of the soldiers who planned the first coup of january 15th 1966. He was arrested and subsequently detained in the far east - Ikot Epkene. He continually insisted on his innocence (something the other coup plotters never did) and wrote letters to the then Head of State Ironsi demanding for his release. Victor Banjo was arrested based on suspicion of his involvement in the January 1966 coup, however, the real actors in the coup denied his involvement.

Despite his innocence, he was incarcerated alongside the other coup plotters by Ironsi so as to make the first coup not appear like an exclusively "Igbo" coup all because Victor Banjo was a high ranking Yoruba officer. It was a difficult moment for Nigeria as the January 15 coup had inflamed tribal passions and divided the military, and Aguiyi-Ironsi more or less did not know what to do.

When Ironsi was toppled and Gowon came to power he still did not release him probably because they were both of the same rank in the army and both attended the same military academy in London. He expectedly was intimidated by this great Yoruba soldier.

Victor had a young family of four children, and a young wife, and his incarceration expectedly destabilized his family life. In "A Gift of Sequins", we see how through letter writing, he tried his best to keep in touch with his wife and children, playing the dutiful husband and father by correspondence. Banjo's letters reveal much about his character and personality and his views about the circumstances of his time. He was a doting father and an affectionate husband. His letters to his wife drip with love and care. He was a well-read man of ideas, a lover of books and a frank, forthright intellect. He understood both English and French and communicated with his wife in both languages, not hiding his preference for the latter, which he considered far more flexible and romantic. Through a period of one year and half, we are taken through Banjo's life in prison and how he tried to cope with the ordeal of incarceration. His letters are shot through with anger and disappointment.

When the civil war was about to break out Ojukwu released him from Prison and he joined the Biafran war campaign. When the Nigerian Army invaded Biafra on July 6, 1967 Ojukwu sent Banjo to invade Nigeria. Banjo was able to capture Benin City in less than a day and was able to get within 300 kilometers of the Nigerian capital Lagos. The initial attack Victor Banjo led was extremely successful.

Wole Soyinka had this to say about him during his encounter with him back then.

When I made a visit to Biafra and met Ojukwu, I also met Banjo who gave me a message for Obasanjo which said, "Let them understand in the west that am not leading a Biafran army, but an army of liberation made not only of Biafrans but other ethnic groups. Make the Governor of the West and other Western leaders understand this. Urge them not to be taken in by any propaganda by the Federal government about a Biafran plan to subjugate the nation, especially the west."

At a certain point during the war, Ojukwu felt at that time, that Victor Banjo was fighting his own war NOT Biafra war. Some school of thought believed that Victor Banjo dream was to push Yoruba territory via Ore and then declare Yoruba Nation. His success at Benin axis also showed his military capabilities fueling the suspicion of him having his own agenda. He was arrested by Ojukwu and tried for treason. The main reason why he was killed is known to Ojukwu alone but on paper, Victor Banjo, Phillip Alale, Ifeajuna and Sam Agbam were tried and convicted of Treason.

One of the people who saw him killed said 'Victor Banjo was a picture of brave soldier even in the eyes of immediate and sudden death. With his chest outward and head lifted high, gun shots of three vollies rammed into him' The same person went on to say that as he died he kept saying ' I am not dead yet , I am not dead yet' and he had to be shot four more times by biafran soldiers before he died.

For me I think the man was murdered by Ojukwu. His daughter published a book last year in his name titled 'LETTERS TO MY WIFE' and it is so mind boggling. What I think about the Banjo story is that Ojukwu just used those boys Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna and Banjo. They were are the real fighters who were conned into believing that the war was a noble revolution while Ojukwu was fighting his own war with his own agenda.

How can Banjo declare a Yoruba republic when the Yoruba's never said they wanted one? If they wanted a Yoruba republic, Awolowo would have declared and the war would have been long lost as it would amount to fighting on two fronts for the Federal troops who were already stretched at Biafra front.

3 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by WETINUSABI: 5:12pm On Oct 08, 2015
debetmx:
Frederick Forsythe was Ojukwu's personal friend.

thanks for this insight bro

whirlwind7:
Well, you can paint whatever rosy pictures and sing the praises of Victor Banjo as much as you want. I haven't seen any documented evidence for your narrative.
Is it the same Victor Banjo, who turned traitor and was eventually executed for his treachery, is the person whose image you are trying to launder?

No doubt, he was a fine soldier. But set the records straight that he was executed for being a traitor. I quickly went through some of the ebooks I have in my mobile phone, and I'm going to be posting these screenshots taken from the book by Frederick Forsythe, titled "The Biafra Story"

I got much more, but these few pages will suffice for the time being.

www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/07/25/odumegwu-ojukwus-biafran-friend-frederick-forsyth-was-mi6-agent/

Can you Imagine, the guy whose book you quoted was even Ojukwus personal friend and you feel he won't be biased in his account of what led to the murder of Victor Banjo?

Like I said earlier, I have a hard copy of the true accounts of these things and frederick forsythes books has been rendered unreliable because of his personal relationship with Ojukwu.

3 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by WETINUSABI: 5:12pm On Oct 08, 2015
And your so called book that you are now quoting had to be written by a white man who definitely wasn't in Nigeria at the time of war.

The most believable and authentic sources are usually first hand experiences and Victor Banjo's daughter released a book about such experiences from her dads letter to them during his travails. The book is titled "LETTERS TO MY WIFE".

I have a hard copy of the book here with me and it is the source of my thread. I wish there is a way for me to convert the hard copy into Ebook and upload everything here for you to see.

whirlwind7:
Well, you can paint whatever rosy pictures and sing the praises of Victor Banjo as much as you want. I haven't seen any documented evidence for your narrative.
Is it the same Victor Banjo, who turned traitor and was eventually executed for his treachery, is the person whose image you are trying to launder?

No doubt, he was a fine soldier. But set the records straight that he was executed for being a traitor. I quickly went through some of the ebooks I have in my mobile phone, and I'm going to be posting these screenshots taken from the book by Frederick Forsythe, titled "The Biafra Story"

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by whirlwind7(m): 5:22pm On Oct 08, 2015

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by afrikaa: 5:28pm On Oct 08, 2015
captivating, Feed me more...

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by athaboi(f): 5:37pm On Oct 08, 2015
So many story abt d biafra war.. They all faught for a common purpose, "liberation" they are all great hero and history remembers them today!!
Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by whirlwind7(m): 5:39pm On Oct 08, 2015
The book continues in the following pages:

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by whirlwind7(m): 5:42pm On Oct 08, 2015
Warfare is such a complex and dirty game.
Even though Gen. Gowon declared "No Victor, No Vanquished" as the outcome of that terrible period, the truth is, both sides (Nigeria and Biafra) ended up as losers

Below is the last page I'm gonna be posting from this book, to conclude with. We should all be students of history. I don't think it's right for anyone to post things made up of figments from one's imagination.

My counter claims are documented for anyone to verify, and I have more books detailing on the participants in this dark chapter of the history of this country.

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by WETINUSABI: 5:43pm On Oct 08, 2015
Whenever I posit here that Ojukwu was the real biafran coward who fled the war in skirts and blouse after murdering his own right hand men, igbo people will always flare out.

Ojukwu himself should have been killed for treason by Biafrans for abandoning them in the heat of war and fleeing to ivory coast dressed as a woman in a disgraceful manner. Such is the kind of hero the igbo people worships...one who makes empty noise without considering the ripple effect of such intelligently.

He was totally dependent on a Yoruba soldier for the most important mission of the then civil war while sat back in the east.

4 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by WETINUSABI: 5:56pm On Oct 08, 2015
whirlwind7:

There were a lot of speculations about what really happened but their is no ounce of doubt that the murder of Banjo and his comrades by Ojukwu during the war was totally wrong and it subsequently led to the defeat of Biafra.

From wole Soyinkas quote of Victor Banjo up in my original post, he was obviously trying to woo the western nation and Yoruba people into joining the biafran course which might have probably been misconstrued by Ojukwu or are you saying this is wrong?

Biafra, allied with the west would have easily defeated the federal government and Victor Banjo decided to try that option since he is Yoruba himself.

4 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by whirlwind7(m): 6:00pm On Oct 08, 2015
WETINUSABI:
Whenever I posit here that Ojukwu was the real biafran coward who fled the war in skirts and blouse after murdering his own right hand men, igbo people will always flare out.

Ojukwu himself should have been killed for treason by Biafrans for abandoning them in the heat of war and fleeing to ivory coast dressed as a woman in a disgraceful manner. Such is the kind of hero the igbo people worships...one who makes empty noise without considering the ripple effect of such intelligently.

He was totally dependent on a Yoruba soldier for the most important mission of the then civil war while sat back in the east.

The above is just your opinion, bro.
Yes, Ojukwu did assign Banjo to handle this critical aspect during the war. He did this out of the long standing friendship both men have enjoyed. I can't say if Ojukwu was right or wrong for entrusting Banjo with this, but note that he (Ojukwu) was the commander in-chief.
He has to be available to oversea every phase and battle being fought. The war wasn't fought in a single front. The Federal forces were trying to penetrate from the south through Port Harcourt, and north via Enugu.

Ojukwu being a coward is purely subjective at this point, and it isn't up to me to argue over. I just came with documented evidence to counter your claims.

The war was virtually won by the British for Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by whirlwind7(m): 6:06pm On Oct 08, 2015
WETINUSABI:

There were a lot of speculations about what really happened but their is no ounce of doubt that the murder of Banjo and his comrades by Ojukwu during the war was totally wrong and it subsequently led to the defeat of Biafra.

After Banjo's treachery was uncovered, there is no other penalty other than death. He had planned the assassination of Ojukwu, and he almost succeeded. For every logical reason, he had to pay the penalty for that.

As for your saying that the "murder" of Banjo led to the defeat of Biafra, well, just to put it mildly, that is a lot of hogwash. The incident of Banjo's betrayal of course, affected the morale of Biafra's army. But their eventual defeat was due to Britain covertly supplying the Federal forces with arms and ammunition, coupled with the act of genocide by the Nigerian government through the blockading of food and relief supplies meant for the civilian populace who eventually starved to death in their millions.

2 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by cheruv: 6:08pm On Oct 08, 2015
Yorubas and lies shocked

This revisionism won't still change the fact that Viktor Pancho was a traitor and the worst mistake Ojukwu did was trusting him for command of operation Torch! angry

6 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by WETINUSABI: 6:21pm On Oct 08, 2015
cheruv:
Yorubas and lies shocked

This revisionism won't still change the fact that Viktor Pancho was a traitor and the worst mistake Ojukwu did was trusting him for command of operation Torch! angry

Yes...everything is propaganda to people like you. Why didn't Coward Ojukwu lead the fight himself. Why did the coward Delegate the most critical aspect of the war to a Yoruba.

Were their no courageous igbo soldier who could take on that task in the entire Igboland.

2 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by whirlwind7(m): 6:21pm On Oct 08, 2015
WETINUSABI:
And your so called book that you are now quoting had to be written by a white man who definitely wasn't in Nigeria at the time of war.

The most believable and authentic sources are usually first hand experiences and Victor Banjo's daughter released a book about such experiences from her dads letter to them during his travails. The book is titled "LETTERS TO MY WIFE".

I have a hard copy of the book here with me and it is the source of my thread. I wish there is a way for me to convert the hard copy into Ebook and upload everything here for you to see.

You obviously still wish to argue blindly.
Frederick Forsythe visited the country during the war. He visited the battle fields and witnessed all of the things he published in his book. He was fully on ground. Don't even bother to argue that point.

Help yourself and read the book. Argue from an enlightened position.

The beauty of it all is that, as a Briton, he wasn't partial in his reports. If I had presented a book written by a Nigerian, you would still argue that the facts presented were tainted from sentiments.

2 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by WETINUSABI: 6:28pm On Oct 08, 2015
whirlwind7:

After Banjo's treachery was uncovered, there is no other penalty other than death. He had planned the assassination of Ojukwu, and he almost succeeded. For every logical reason, he had to pay the penalty for that.

As for your saying that the "murder" of Banjo led to the defeat of Biafra, well, just to put it mildly, that is a lot of hogwash. The incident of Banjo's betrayal of course, affected the morale of Biafra's army. But their eventual defeat was due to Britain covertly supplying the Federal forces with arms and ammunition, coupled with the act of genocide by the Nigerian government through the blockading of food and relief supplies meant for the civilian populace who eventually starved to death in their millions.

Like I said, the so called assumption of treachery were mere speculations. Many Igbo foot soldiers were probably not happy being led into the war by a Yoruba and they might have planted a conspiracy so as to malign Banjo and cause distrust between him and Ojukwu. It was even those other Igbo junior soldiers that quickly adviced Ojukwu to Murder Banjo and co. Why couldn't they wait after the war for a detailed investigation if not that they were trying to cover up there conspiracy against banjo.

Poor banjo wanted to form an alliance with the west and Yorubas in general which would have accelerated Victory for the Biafran side, but a conspiracy was quickly hatched by the Igbo junior officers to discredit his efforts and sow a seed of discord between him and Ojukwu.

3 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by debetmx(m): 6:43pm On Oct 08, 2015

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by WETINUSABI: 7:07pm On Oct 08, 2015
debetmx:

thanks for this insight bro

whirlwind7:

www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/07/25/odumegwu-ojukwus-biafran-friend-frederick-forsyth-was-mi6-agent/

Can you Imagine, the guy whose book you quoted was even Ojukwus personal friend and you feel he won't be biased in his account of what led to the murder of Victor Banjo?

2 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by basilo101: 7:10pm On Oct 08, 2015
wow, good documentary. i have copied it. yorubas and lies are like bread and butter. meanwhile see a book their brother wrote about the so called Igbo coup and called it "why WE struck". i give up on these ppl

4 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by WETINUSABI: 7:16pm On Oct 08, 2015
basilo101:
wow, good documentary. i have copied it. yorubas and lies are like bread and butter. meanwhile see a book their brother wrote about the so called Igbo coup and called it "why WE struck". i give up on these ppl

Mumu, the guy who wrote that biased book is Ojukwus personal friend.

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by WETINUSABI: 7:24pm On Oct 08, 2015
basilo101:

Was Victor part of the people that struck in the initial coup? This thread is about him.

Nobody says Yorubas weren't involved but for every Yoruba you find, there were five Igbos involved in the coup in which an "Igbo" head of states was eventually installed.

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by whirlwind7(m): 7:28pm On Oct 08, 2015
WETINUSABI:

Whether he was biased in that report or not is arguable. However, I want you to compare the author of the books we are both arguing from.

1. Frederick Forsythe is an internationally renown writer. He has written several books on the New York Times' bestseller list.
Before he would publish a book based on an important event as the civil war, he would vet his sources thoroughly to ensure the authenticity. He is not in the small or armature leagues.

2. Victor Banjo, on the other hand, wrote a book about HIMSELF and his experiences during the war. His narrative is purely personal. He obviously won't malign, tarnish his reputation, or call himself a traitor, will he?

If you can take snapshots of the relevant pages from your book, do upload them.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by WETINUSABI: 7:34pm On Oct 08, 2015
whirlwind7:

Whether he was biased in that report or not is arguable. However, I want you to compare the author of the books we are both arguing from.

1. Frederick Forsythe is an internationally renown writer. He has written several books on the New York Times' bestseller list.
Before he would publish a book based on an important event as the civil war, he would vet his sources thoroughly to ensure the authenticity. He is not in the small or armature leagues.

2. Victor Banjo, on the other hand, wrote a book about HIMSELF and his experiences during the war. His narrative is purely personal. He obviously won't malign, tarnish his reputation, or call himself a traitor, will he?

It is not a typical book like that. It is rather a compilation of letters he sent to his family during his incarceration and when he was fighting the Biafran war.

It is obvious that it would be the most unbiased account as the intended audience at the time were his family.

2 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by WETINUSABI: 7:46pm On Oct 08, 2015
whirlwind7:

Frederick forsythe was also a British spy and spies are known to be professional liars so his account is obviously irrelevant.

2 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by ArodewilliamsT: 7:52pm On Oct 08, 2015
Celebrating Banjo?, the same yoruba traitor that radioed lagos at Benin and surrendered at Ore without firing a shot. yoruba revisionism is dead and buried.

Banjo and Ifeajuna were confirmed traitors. If i were under their command, i would have had them shot, lead the troops and continued the very decisive march to Lagos( the command center of the vandals).

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 08, 2015
whirlwind7:

Sorry, could you send the full book" The Biafran Story" to me on dimnnamdi@yahoo.com.Seriously please. And what sites can one download these books free?
Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by WETINUSABI: 10:34pm On Oct 08, 2015
http://www.nigerianmuse.com/nigeriawatch/?u=from-the-archives-between-victor-banjo-s-speech-and-odumegwu-ojukwu-s-letter-august-1967.htm

"BRIGADIER" BANJO'S BROADCAST TO THE MID-WEST
August 14, 1967

NOTE: "Brigadier" Banjo was the Commander of the Biafran Invasion Force. He made this broadcast over Radio Nigeria, Benin on August 14, 1967 at 20.00 GMT. Ojukwu was very upset about it and it was used as one of the reasons he was eventually shot on September 25, 1967 at Enugu ..

----

Fellow Nigerians and Biafrans, I am sure I do not need to introduce myself either to you nor perhaps to many people outside our country.

You have already had ample opportunity to hear of my name in January 1966 when this political crisis started in our country. Unfortunately at that time I also only heard about the circumstances under which my name was being publicized at a time when I was in no position to do anything about it. I was then accused of having attempted the life of the late Supreme Commander, Maj-Gen. J.T.U. Aguiyi-Ironsi, and that for the attempt I have been arrested and detained.

Fellow Nigerians, nothing could be further from the truth. The Army mutiny which started the revolution in January 1966 was as such of a surprise to myself as it was to some of my colleagues. I spent all of my time (words indistinct) of the events in ascertaining the true state of affairs in the country. My colleague, then Lt.-Col. Yakubu Gowon, was the first officer who gave me precise information about the state of affairs. It then appeared to me that sufficient (steps) had taken place to ensure the removal of several Governments of the Federation and that the sum total of the trend of events could be regarded as the beginning of a national revolution. I then
considered it my duty to ensure that no further military action took place which might have the effect of totally destroying the stability of the nation.

I felt that the young officers who had started the action were only anxious to destroy what had become a most corrupt and discredited Government. As such, I spent a considerable time in an effort to urge the late Major General to assume responsibility for the State with the support of the Army from national collapse.

It was then my view that any attempt to use the Nigerian Army for any military action within Nigeria would only have the effect of breaking the Army into its tribal components of which the Northern component would represent the lion's share. This Northern component, effectively under the control of the Northern feudalists, would then inevitably be employed to impose on the rest of Nigeria the most repressive feudal domination. I was one of the senior officers of the Nigerian Army who took the decision to accept responsibility for Nigeria . In fact, on that occasion I was the chief spokesman for that decision. I therefore considered it my duty to remain with the
General as closely as possible, rather than accept the office of the Military Governor of the West which he then proposed to me and which I declined in favor of the late Lt.-Col. Adekunle Fajuyi.

On the day after the General had assumed full responsibility for the State, I was arrested by a few of my colleagues while waiting to see the General. I was never given a reason for my arrest, nor given an opportunity to defend myself against any charges that could be raised. I went to prison for 14 months under a false accusation, the details of which I only found out from the press and radio after I got to prison. I have since had the opportunity of speaking to the so-called actors in that drama of my arrest, and I now appreciate
that the action was an act of hatred motivated primarily by fear and suspicion. I spent a considerable part of my time in prison sending warnings to the late Major-General and my colleagues about the policies that would appear to represent a continuation of the policies of the Balewa Government, which could have the effect of encouraging counter-attempts, which might not only destroy the Nigerian Army but would also, by the extent of the bloodshed and the tribal selectiveness of the (word indistinct), destroy the Nigerian nation as well.

The inevitable has now happened, which would seem to confirm that my fears were well founded.. There is now an army at the disposal of the feudal North, an army that has lost all the traditions, discipline and standards of a responsible army. There is now a Government of the Federation that is sustained by violence and is therefore tied to the ambitions of the Northern Feudalists. There has been a considerable amount of bloodshed, chaos and tribal bitterness among such people. Such tribal rivalry, as used to be exploited by our previous political parties for the harnessing of the opinion of the North and its people, is now translating itself into a most extreme form of brutality and of despicable savagery.

Finally, the dismemberment of our nation has commenced in the breakaway of Biafra . In August 1966, I wrote to my colleagues from prison to inform them that I did not consider that we, military leaders of this country, had the right to carry out such action as the proclamation of the dismemberment of presiding over the dismemberment of Nigeria .

I still do not think that we have the right to destroy a nation that was handed over to us to save at a moment of crisis. The 29th July 1966 Federal Military Government came into being as a result of a mutiny in which the primary action was directed at the elimination of a particular ethnic group and the supremacy of another ethnic group in Nigeria . This has had the effect of destroying the basic mutual trust and confidence among the people of Nigeria and has created the decentralization of the Nigerian people into tribal groups. This action, more than any other event that has occurred throughout the history of Nigeria , has had the greatest effect on the dismemberment of Nigeria . The Federal Military Government cannot claim to represent the Government of the people of Nigeria and to fight for the unity of Nigeria while constantly rejecting fundamental human rights for all people forming parts of Nigeria . The Federal Military Government cannot claim to be seeking a peaceful solution to the problems for achieving Nigerian unity, while at the same time contemptuously ignoring the wishes of the people of the Mid-West and the West in their previous demands for the removal of the unruly troops of the
North from their territories in order to allow the unfettered discussion of the present political crisis.

The Federal Military Government cannot claim to be genuinely interested in the progress and welfare of the Nigerian people while at the same time inflicting the most bloody warfare on the people of Nigeria and employing unscrupulous foreign mercenaries in a total war that really destroys hundreds of our people and the economy of our nation.. The people of Biafra have a right to fight a Government that has constantly treated its people to the most savage forms of brutality and persists in denying these people its fundamental human rights while claiming to represent other interests. It is my view that the people of Biafra were prepared to remain part of the nation into which they have for so many years invested their resources of manpower and material and with which they had the closest social ties. Provided the people of Biafra could live within such a nation under a Government that truly represents all sections of its people and truly tries to pursue such measures as are designed to promote the welfare of all Nigerians irrespective of tribe or religion (sentence as broadcast). It is the remnants of the old Nigerian Army that broke away in July that now threatens the Nigerian nation. This Northern army is now under the power and control of a group of Northern feudalists who have as their aim the total conquest of Nigeria .

The Federal Military Government, having been brought to power and control by that army, is playing to that end. Hence policies are inevitably directed towards achieving the objectives of the Northern feudalists who control that army . . .

It is my idea that the peaceful settlement of the Nigerian problem will be readily achieved when that fragment of the Nigerian Army now at the disposal of the Northern feudalists has been completely disarmed. Towards this end, the Liberation Army is irrevocably committed. It is not at all an invasion, and it is not intended to promote the domination of any group of the Nigerian people by any other group through the presence of the Liberation Army. I wish to stress once again what I said during the press conference and previously on the radio that the movement of this Army into the Mid-West is not a conquest. It is also not an invasion. It is to enable the people of the Mid-West to see the Nigerian problem in its proper perspective. I firmly believe that the people of the Mid-West would prefer to be able to declare their stand in the conflict that has arisen in Nigeria free from any (pressure) either from the North or from anywhere. I believe that the people of the Mid-West would like to be given an opportunity to state their case, free from the coercive influences due to the presence of Northern troops.

It is my view that the political future of Nigeria rests with all the people of Nigeria. It has become a matter of great concern to me, however, to be informed that certain ethnic groups are jubilating as a result of the presence of the Liberation Army in this Region. As a consequence, I also understand that certain other ethnic groups are feeling depressed and frustrated. I wish to assure all ethnic groups in the Mid-West that the achievement of the Liberation Army does not give any ethnic group an advantage over any other. I wish also to
appeal to all ethnic groups to exercise restraint and humility and not to indulge in acts which may result in confusion, bringing distress to a large number of our people. Any misbehavior on the part of any group of persons will give rise to a chain of unpleasant reactions . . . .

I am informed that since the Liberation Army came into the Mid-West a number of civil servants have become so frightened that they have either refused to come to their places ofwork or reported only for a few hours and then left before the closing time. I wish to take this opportunity to appeal to all civil servants to return to work not later than 15th August 1967, and to assure them of their safety. Those, however, who fail to report on this day will be in danger of permanently losing their jobs . . . .

While on the question of co-operation among the various ethnic groups in the Mid-West, I would like to stress that all tribal meetings should stop, as such meetings are not conducive to peace and mutual understanding. In order to foster co-operation among the people of the Mid-West, I propose within the next few days to invite a cross-section of the people of the Mid-West to a meeting to explain to them the present situation and objectives of the Liberation Army, and I believe this will go a long way to giving them the true picture of the situation and instill confidence in the future of the Mid-West. I understand that anxiety is being expressed in some quarters about the safety of the Military Governor of the Mid-West, Brig. David Ejoor. I wish to inform you that I have personally held discussions with Brig. Ejoor and to assure you that he is in good health and is not under detention . . . .

I have, therefore, today promulgated a decree setting up an interim administration in the Mid-Western Nigeria . This decree has suspended the operation in Mid-Western Nigeria of the Constitution of the Federation of Nigeria , the Constitution of Mid-Western Nigeria , and other constitutional provisions applicable in Mid-Western Nigeria , except those constitutional provisions absolutely necessary for the efficient functioning of the machinery of State. All legislative and executive powers have been vested in me during the period of interim
administration. . In order to assist me in the task of administering Mid-Western Nigeria during the interim period I propose to appoint a military administrator and an administrative council. I have also established a Mid-Western Nigerian Army and A Mid-Western Nigerian Police Force, which will for the moment remain independent of the Nigerian Army, the Nigerian Police Force, the Biafran Army or the Biafran Police Force. The Mid-Western Nigerian Army shall, however, during this interim period be part of the Liberation Army. All
courts in Mid-Western Nigeria shall continue to function as usual and it may be necessary to establish a court of appeal until it becomes possible to resume (words indistinct) the Supreme Court of Nigeria.

As soon as it is practicable I propose to hand over the administration of Mid-Western Nigeria in order to proceed to the war front and to complete the liberation of Nigeria .

Good Night.

whirlwind7:

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by Nobody: 11:13pm On Oct 08, 2015
cheruv:
Yorubas and lies shocked

Ojukwu was a murderous magalomaniac. Even after he lost the war, went on exile and came back to Nigeria he had a throne installed in his house.
Ojukwu was the Bokassa Biafra never had.

2 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by PenSniper: 11:19pm On Oct 08, 2015

Arrant nonsence.

quote author=whirlwind7 post=38791719]

The above is just your opinion, bro.
Yes, Ojukwu did assign Banjo to handle this critical aspect during the war. He did this out of the long standing friendship both men have enjoyed. I can't say if Ojukwu was right or wrong for entrusting Banjo with this, but note that he (Ojukwu) was the commander in-chief.
He has to be available to oversea every phase and battle being fought. The war wasn't fought in a single front. The Federal forces were trying to penetrate from the south through Port Harcourt, and north via Enugu.

Ojukwu being a coward is purely subjective at this point, and it isn't up to me to argue over. I just came with documented evidence to counter your
claims.

[/quote]
Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by PenSniper: 11:23pm On Oct 08, 2015
whirlwind7:

As for your saying that the "murder" of Banjo led to the defeat of Biafra, well, just to put it mildly, that is a lot of hogwash. The incident of Banjo's betrayal of course, affected the
morale of Biafra's army. But their eventual defeat was due to Britain covertly supplying the Federal forces with arms and ammunition, coupled with the act of genocide by the Nigerian government through the blockading of food and relief supplies meant for the civilian populace who
eventually starved to death in their millions.

Trash, good only for the dustbin.
Hallucinations of a prejudiced brain.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by Nobody: 11:27pm On Oct 08, 2015
IF NOT FOR SABOTAGE AND WESTERN SUPPORT, BIAFRA WOULD HAVE WON THE WAR! ALL HAIL BIAFRA...I LOVE BIAFRA!

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero by PenSniper: 11:27pm On Oct 08, 2015
WETINUSABI:

Yes...everything is propaganda to people like you. Why didn't Coward Ojukwu lead the fight himself. Why did the coward Delegate the mostcritical aspect of the war to a Yoruba.

Were their no courageous igbo soldier who could take on that task in the entire Igboland.

That is the true summation.
No worthy Ibo officer to saddle with such a task, not even Ojukwu himself because he was afraid of dieing.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn / PDP Warns Chairmanship Aspirants Against Verbal Attacks / Profiling The 179 Communities In Anambra State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.