Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,595 members, 7,801,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index (8840 Views)

Barclays Africa Group To Acquire Nigerian Bank / Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts / Former Barclays Boss Raises Stake In Union Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by obailala(m): 8:55am On Oct 09, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
This is what you get by voting in a Dullard as president. Someone who didn't even write and pass Economics in his WASC. God please save this country from doom.
This is what you get when you voted in a clueless man who met a very rich nation but plunged it into pathetic debt after 5 years.

2 Likes

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by damton(m): 8:56am On Oct 09, 2015
It appears these institutions have resorted to the use of threats and economic sanctions to make developing country cave Into their demands and policy injunctions .This is what you get from a highly dependent economy.
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by anonimi: 8:58am On Oct 09, 2015
Where are we heading with this DauraDullardinho

WHY are we being removed from every good ECONOMIC news
Our growth rate has disappeared in just his four months in power and we are slowly heading into RECESSION with mass sacking and UNEMPLOYMENT for our people.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2891305_12019958102075492235472527479227967928686555n_jpga26a859f0b7a627e624ff670826a5884

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2891307_12038163102075492233472472173319829462525063n_jpg1be8e1fee098772d2b0dac2fa3e5b6c4

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by Nobody: 8:59am On Oct 09, 2015
My fellow nairalanders today is my birthday and am celebrating it with my second single BOUNCE I just dropped it am excepting thousands of lik

1 Like

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by alexlee50: 9:00am On Oct 09, 2015
sammyj:
To hell with them they need us more than we need them!! angry
How my guy?
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by Nobody: 9:00am On Oct 09, 2015
eaglechild:

In April 2013 Barclays added approximately $16 billion of Nigerian debt to its emerging markets government bond index under president Goodluck Jonathan's administration.
However with the lack of economic policies, trailing the fall in oil prices, in this administration, Barclays may soon delist Nigeria just as JP Morgan did.

Is this part of the report or your own opinion which you have cleverly passed off as belonging to the same source?

Eh?
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by Nobody: 9:01am On Oct 09, 2015
Gabbysky:
I miss you my President GEJ.
Nigerians heads up, tougher times await

When did all the problems start? During Jonathan's era of course! Stop being partisan

My grouse with this government is that Buhari ought to have rolled out his economic blueprint by now.

If CBN had not rolled out all those measures, which led to Nigeria's removal from the EM bond index, the reserves would have fallen to near zero by now.

1 Like

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by Nobody: 9:02am On Oct 09, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
This is what you get by voting in a Dullard as president. Someone who didn't even write and pass Economics in his WASC. God please save this country from doom.

Let me ask you, what is the reason behind Barclay's decision?

Any answer?
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by alexlee50: 9:05am On Oct 09, 2015
QuotaSystem:
[b]What sort of ignorance is this?

We were listed in the first place because of our economic performance ROOTED IN THE HIGH OIL PRICES THAT PREVAILED... was it GEJ that boosted the prices or Buhari that shot them down?

To keep us on that list, GEJ should have exploited the booming prices and surpluses to diversify our economy away from oil and strengthen our foreign reserves to protect the Naira, INSTEAD OF LOOTING and bleeding the excess crude account, foreign reserves and WASTING THE OIL PRICE BOOM (over $100 per barrel).

Countries face economic challenges all over the world all the time (e.g. the recent global recession) but the key is PLANNING and SAVING FOR THE RAINY DAY. Iweala predicted these problems under GEJ while we were still earning surpluses from high oil prices yet nothing was done to prepare.

UAE like Iweala, discovered that it's oil would not sustain it in the estimated future, and they used their excess Petro-dollars to DIVERSIFY into tourism and today they are smiling despite sinking oil prices because tourism was developed, and their leader did not loot with impunity like Jonathan, Diezani and the crew.

GEJ is the real reason we are being delisted. [/b]
your brain no dey enter well.u guys will always give excuss for the failures of this administration

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by Nobody: 9:07am On Oct 09, 2015
alexlee50:
your brain no dey enter well.u guys will always give excuss for the failures of this administration

Don't defend rubbish.

Jonathan's government failed woefully by not saving when prices were high. This is not arguable!

Buhari's government is too slow to roll out its economic roadmap. This is not arguable!

Be objective!

3 Likes

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by gsparks01(m): 9:07am On Oct 09, 2015
pro pdp thread
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by eaglechild: 9:10am On Oct 09, 2015
Activa:

Don't defend rubbish.

Jonathan's government failed woefully by not saving when prices were high. This is not arguable!

Buhari's government is too slow to roll out its economic roadmap. This is not arguable!

Be objective and just love your country.
Could out present economic situation have been better managed by this government?

That is the pertinent question.
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by eyesofgod: 9:13am On Oct 09, 2015
The elementary economics I learnt in secondary school taught me that no economy can survive with the magnitude of only Madueke's stealing. Then add those of the other big looters in GEJ government. We were destined for auctioning. Thank God for GMB.

1 Like

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by TeamSimple(m): 9:15am On Oct 09, 2015
What does an average Nigerian stand to gain from all this listing and de-listing. Even when we were listed we felt no effect,so it won't mean anything if we removed. I bet 60percent nairalnders are just reading bou this for the first time.
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 09, 2015
sammyj:
illiterate
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 09, 2015
QuotaSystem:
[b]What sort of ignorance is this?

We were listed in the first place because of our economic performance ROOTED IN THE HIGH OIL PRICES THAT PREVAILED... was it GEJ that boosted the prices or Buhari that shot them down?

To keep us on that list, GEJ should have exploited the booming prices and surpluses to diversify our economy away from oil and strengthen our foreign reserves to protect the Naira, INSTEAD OF LOOTING and bleeding the excess crude account, foreign reserves and WASTING THE OIL PRICE BOOM (over $100 per barrel).

Countries face economic challenges all over the world all the time (e.g. the recent global recession) but the key is PLANNING and SAVING FOR THE RAINY DAY. Iweala predicted these problems under GEJ while we were still earning surpluses from high oil prices yet nothing was done to prepare.

UAE like Iweala, discovered that it's oil would not sustain it in the estimated future, and they used their excess Petro-dollars to DIVERSIFY into tourism and today they are smiling despite sinking oil prices because tourism was developed, and their leader did not loot with impunity like Jonathan, Diezani and the crew.

GEJ is the real reason we are being delisted. [/b]
Child of anger... Are you blind to the developments in the agriculture sector under gej? The food sufficiency despite naira devaluation that didn't affect food prices?

1 Like

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by Harmony10: 9:22am On Oct 09, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:

I am very sure you don't have an iota of clue what the news is all about. That is not how to grow up. Please seek understanding...
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 09, 2015
alexlee50:
Shut up

1 Like

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 09, 2015
eaglechild:

Could out present economic situation have been better managed by this government?

That is the pertinent question.

The answer to your question is in my post.

People should stop defending or attacking governments blindly based on tribe or party.

Jonathan goofed big time by not managing the bumper days very well. Fact

Buhari is goofing by not tackling Jonathan's rot on time (in terms of the economy).
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by sharpman1(m): 9:31am On Oct 09, 2015
CSTR2:
Then why did your govt open the border for total rice imports?.
You don't want to devalue your currency, and yet you are allowing even more rice imports especially when we have a local alternative.
Your govt is probably the most confused in the world.

Local alternatives?? What local alternatives?? Where?? We produce enough rice locally to meet our consumption?
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 09, 2015
angels09:

Child of anger... Are you blind to the developments in the agriculture sector under gej? The food sufficiency despite naira devaluation that didn't affect food prices?

Which food sufficiency when you were/are still importing rice, beans, eggs, pineapples, wheat, etc?

Or do you care to define food sufficiency?
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by anonimi: 9:38am On Oct 09, 2015
Activa:

Don't defend rubbish.

Jonathan wanted to save but our 36 state governors were UNITED to insist on sharing the JOINT account/revenue of the federation.
The records are there.

You are the one who needs to be objective!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by awa(m): 9:39am On Oct 09, 2015
At the fullness of time they will add us back after removing us.

APC changeeee
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by Nobody: 9:43am On Oct 09, 2015
Activa:

Which food sufficiency when you were/are still importing rice, beans, eggs, pineapples, wheat, etc?
Child of anger nothing will ever satisfy you... Gej is no longer in Aso Rock... Get that right... He left several months ago!
Attacks against boko haram is attack against the north... I pray boko haram doesn't stop.. That news matters not to me again... Likewise your colonial mentality president who only speaks when with foreign press... Children of anger you're now in power please fix Nigeria. Gej is going to Tanzania atm ... BTW what and what was your president doing between 1985 to 2015?

1 Like

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by Nobody: 9:43am On Oct 09, 2015
The only thing that would have saved Nigeria is if Jonathan had been reelected President and Buhari the Vice President. But everybody wan be President and would do anything to remove those wey God use him hand put to save Nigeria (GEJ). It was pretty evident.

Just like a case of serial abortionists calling on God for help, when them dey use their hand dey kill the help wey God send them.
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 09, 2015
angels09:

Child of anger nothing will ever satisfy you... Gej is no longer in Aso Rock... Get that right... He left several months ago!
Attacks against boko haram is attack against the north... I pray boko haram doesn't stop.. That news matters not to me again... Likewise your colonial mentality president who only speaks when with foreign press... Children of anger you're now in power please fix Nigeria. Gej is going to Tanzania atm ... BTW what and what was your president doing between 1984 to 2015?

You are a deluded fool. An irredeemable one for that matter. You don't know the meaning of 'food sufficiency' and your idiotic. brain used it?

Get lost and don't ever respond to my posts. They're way above your miserable grey matter.
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by jemir000: 9:51am On Oct 09, 2015
bubu is a criminal.. someone should put that man in chains..
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by alexlee50: 10:01am On Oct 09, 2015
Activa:

Don't defend rubbish.

u know the funny thing about life, people choose to remember what they like and forget whatever they don't like.who told u Jonathan did not save? Did he not leave 30b dollars when he was going? Do u know it would have been more? If not for these greedy governors that clamoured that they should share the money.do u remember sovereign wealth fund? Do u remember some governors went round and said it was not constitutional?do u know why the states were in debts despite the huge money the FG released to them? Because they embarked on useless projects which were over inflated and were not of economic importance to people of their states.for instance jigawa is building an airport, tell me what jigawa needs an airport when it is less than 1hr to kano? Why does osun need a chopper to fly aregbe around? Despite the huge money collected by oshoimole he couldn't do more than airport road in benin.this is the case of most of the governors. Do u know that this bail out funds some used it to buy vehicles for security personel as in the case of adamawa and yobe? Do u know that the FG releases enough to cover recurrent expenditure and that we shoild not have found ourselves in this position in the first place? When Jonathan left behindd 30b dollars. The reason j.p Morgan and Barclays are suspending sales in our bonds is because of lack of economic policy.This man has been ruling this country alone since may 29th without any policy on economy, health, education, please is this right? Investors are scared and pulling out funds from the economy on daily basis, inemployment is rising and you are blaming Jonathan? Wake up, if u see bad thing condemn am.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by nigerrichwicked: 10:04am On Oct 09, 2015
sammyj:
now I can see d sign of malaria.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by wiseoneking: 10:05am On Oct 09, 2015
eaglechild:
LONDON Oct 7 (Reuters) - Barclays will consult with its index users on whether Nigeria's sovereign debt should remain in its emerging market local currency government bond benchmark, the bank said on Wednesday.

Barclays listed the "eligibility of Nigeria for inclusion in the EM Local Currency Government Index" among the primary topics to be considered in its annual review process, according to a statement, though it give no additional details.

Africa's largest economy has taken a hammering from the steep drop in oil prices since mid-2014. An exclusion by Barclays could add to its list of financial headaches after rival index provider JP Morgan announced in September it would drop Nigeria from its index, citing a lack of liquidity and currency restrictions.

Barclays said the consultation would run through October and results will be published shortly afterwards. Nigeria is one of 19 countries which make up the index and the only one from Africa apart from South Africa. According to Barclays, Nigeria's bonds had a weighting of 1.2 percent on Oct. 6. (Reporting by Karin Strohecker; Editing by James Dalgleish)
http://af.reuters.com/article/nigeriaNews/idAFL8N1274UQ20151007

In April 2013 Barclays added approximately $16 billion of Nigerian debt to its emerging markets government bond index under president Goodluck Jonathan's administration.
However with the lack of economic policies, trailing the fall in oil prices, in this administration, Barclays may soon delist Nigeria just as JP Morgan did.

Behold our economy slipping downwards under buhari the saint.
Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by mbhs139(m): 10:14am On Oct 09, 2015
Nonybb:
Anything to make this Fulani Daura government to fail is welcomed. Afterall no Fulani Gambarian Born-To-Rule mentalist ever wished GEJ to succeed

...and I lost appertite the moment I read this your comment, particularly at the bold part. So, this is what you children of hate wish for the country?

So, your common sense did not tell you that when governments fail, it is the citizens that surfers it. I pity you, olori buruku omo!

1 Like

Re: Barclays may remove Nigeria's Membership In EM Local Currency Bond Index by mbhs139(m): 10:25am On Oct 09, 2015
alexlee50:
u know the funny thing about life, people choose to remember what they like and forget whatever they don't like.who told u Jonathan did not save? Did he not leave 30b dollars when he was going? Do u know it would have been more? If not for these greedy governors that clamoured that they should share the money.do u remember sovereign wealth fund? Do u remember some governors went round and said it was not constitutional?do u know why the states were in debts despite the huge money the FG released to them? Because they embarked on useless projects which were over inflated and were not of economic importance to people of their states.for instance jigawa is building an airport, tell me what jigawa needs an airport when it is less than 1hr to kano? Why does osun need a chopper to fly aregbe around? Despite the huge money collected by oshoimole he couldn't do more than airport road in benin.this is the case of most of the governors. Do u know that this bail out funds some used it to buy vehicles for security personel as in the case of adamawa and yobe? Do u know that the FG releases enough to cover recurrent expenditure and that we shoild not have found ourselves in this position in the first place? When Jonathan left behindd 30b dollars. The reason j.p Morgan and Barclays are suspending sales in our bonds is because of lack of economic policy.This man has been ruling this country alone since may 29th without any policy on economy, health, education, please is this right? Investors are scared and pulling out funds from the economy on daily basis, inemployment is rising and you are blaming Jonathan? Wake up, if u see bad thing condemn am.

see all these arm chair economist...

Well, I heard the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, in an interview, saying the country can not change its policy simply because of an index. That's not going to be possible, and I agree with him on that. If you guys know the conditions these modern slave trade people are giving the country, you will ask them to go to hell.

By the way, bond this, bond that, they are not the real investors in an economy! They are what they are truly called- Port Folio Investors, Port Folio.

Do you know what a portfolio is...? That is, you bring your investment in a portfolio and you also leave with your profit in your port folio at the slightest provocation. Though, you may argue that they provide the finance for the real investors, fine, but then, they are what they are- Port folio, just like port folio contractors.

In any case, I still think the country should not be hounded into taking hasty economic decision simply because we are being shoved off some lousy index- No!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FY 2015: Sterling Bank Records N10.3b Profit / Long Term Position (trend) Forex Trading Alerts/discussion / FG To Restructure, Recapitalise Boa With N500bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.