Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,379 members, 7,808,347 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Obama: What Family Is All About - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama: What Family Is All About (1932 Views)

State Of The Union Address Tonight By Pres Obama: What Are Your Expectations? / Saudi Royal Family Is Jewish / U.S President Barack Obama:What Is Expected Of Him? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama: What Family Is All About by RichyBlacK(m): 11:30pm On Apr 23, 2009
[size=18pt]Michelle Obama jokes energetic new puppy is 'crazy'[/size]

The Associated Press

Updated: Thu. Apr. 23 2009 4:25 PM ET

WASHINGTON — First dog Bo is a "kind of crazy" puppy who likes to chew on people's feet, Michelle Obama told children visiting the White House on Thursday.

The president's wife is spending a lot of time walking and training the six-month-old Portuguese water dog who became a member of the family last week. An energetic breed, Bo plays well into the night, as he did on Wednesday.

"It was like 10 o'clock. Everybody was asleep and we hear all this barking and jumping around," Obama said. "The president and I came out and we thought somebody was out there. And it was just Bo. He was playing with his ball. And it was like there was another person in the house.

"He's kind of crazy, but he's still a puppy. So he likes to play a lot," she said.

The dog, unveiled last week after months of speculation, was a gift to the Obamas' daughters, Malia and Sasha.

"He loves to chew on people's feet," Obama divulged to more than 100 children invited to a program marking the annual Take Your Child to Work Day.

Dozens of executive branch employees brought their children and grandchildren to the White House on to see where their parents work and what they do there. Vice-President Joe Biden's granddaughter, Maisy, 8, was among them.

In a question-and-answer session with the first lady, several students wanted to know about Bo.

Asked what she does with her free time, Obama said she doesn't get much of it.

"Well, right now I'm taking care of this puppy. So I'm doing a lot of dog walking and dog training," she said.

Another youngster asked what would she do if Bo ran away.

"I would be very sad, first of all but ,  he has (dog) tags, and hopefully someone would find him and bring him back," Obama said.

She said it would be hard for Bo to get off the South Lawn, one of the places he is taken for walks and to play, because it is gated. But if he were to get out, she said, lots of people would try to track him down.

"I think everyone at the White House would probably help go out and find him," she said. "That's why we're working on training him, so that he doesn't run away and he listens when we call him. And so far he's doing OK, so we hope we don't have that problem."

[img]http://2.bp..com/_dLpaZ4jIOnM/SeI4t6FauPI/AAAAAAAAIhg/XxIi94Qu_wM/s400/bo-first-dog.jpg[/img]

Source: CTV.ca
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by RichyBlacK(m): 4:08pm On Apr 24, 2009
Every man needs an educated wife!
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by ElRazur: 4:58pm On Apr 24, 2009
Richy your statement is flawed and not always true. Education is not about going to school and having certificates to show for it. Education takes different forms.

You need to realise that the Obama family is not a "true family" but something put together so that it suits the expectation of the wider audience. On contrast "The simpsons" represent a "truer family" than the Obamas.
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by SeanT21(f): 1:28am On Apr 25, 2009
Sasha is gonna be tall.
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by sleekp1: 2:51am On Apr 25, 2009
ElRazur:

You need to realise that the Obama family is not a "true family" but something put together so that it suits the expectation of the wider audience. On contrast "The simpsons" represent a "truer family" than the Obamas.

So who put this family together? Must be the democrat's who put them together in the hope of winning 2008 election. Genius!!!
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by ElRazur: 9:56am On Apr 25, 2009
sleek_p:

So who put this family together? Must be the democrat's who put them together in the hope of winning 2008 election. Genius!!!

You are missing the point. The Obama family is an "image" with a PR behind it. Is it not a bit odd to you how they appear "perfect" and "doing the right thing" all the time?

It is well known that "playing a family" is one way to win the hearts of the people. This have nothing to do with what you are suggesting.
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by sleekp1: 1:13pm On Apr 25, 2009
ElRazur:

You are missing the point. The Obama family is an "image" with a PR behind it. Is it not a bit odd to you how they appear "perfect" and "doing the right thing" all the time?

It is well known that "playing a family" is one way to win the hearts of the people. This have nothing to do with what you are suggesting.

Please name one US President that didn't have  "PR" behind it and please don't forget to tell me who "put this family together". Thanks.
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by ElRazur: 1:35pm On Apr 25, 2009
So you AGREE there is a PR behind it then? If you do, then it is not far-fetched to say it is not a true representation of a real family.

By saying put together, I was referring to the work of the PR people behind it.
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by debosky(m): 1:40pm On Apr 25, 2009
ElRazur:

Richy your statement is flawed and not always true. Education is not about going to school and having certificates to show for it. Education takes different forms.

Highly presumptive statement. What is a 'true family'? If the Obama family is a representation of people's aspirations but remains genuine (i.e not a PR stunt like you claim), then there is nothing wrong with it.

I don't know how the Simpsons is a 'truer family' than the Obama's - I don't know many folk that let their kids steer the car while they eat pizza grin grin But lots and lots of families can relate to having a crazy new dog in the family.

I detect a deep seated cynicism in your post overall.
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by Horus(m): 2:05pm On Apr 25, 2009

ElRazur:

Put together by who?, when?,and how?,before or after their beautifull wedding?,and explain to us How you beleive the Obamas are not a "true family".
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by ElRazur: 2:16pm On Apr 25, 2009
debosky:

Highly presumptive statement. What is a 'true family'? If the Obama family is a representation of people's aspirations but remains genuine (i.e not a PR stunt like you claim), then there is nothing wrong with it.

I don't know how the Simpsons is a 'truer family' than the Obama's - I don't know many folk that let their kids steer the car while they eat pizza grin grin But lots and lots of families can relate to having a crazy new dog in the family.

I detect a deep seated cynicism in your post overall.

We really do not know the Obamas, but apart from what we see on tv. We know more about the simpson [there up and downs] than we know of the Obamas. I used the Simpson analogy to illustrate my point.

All their moves and how they act would have been rehearsed for the tv and in most cases, they would at least had a "tv coaching".

I have nothing against them, only that I pointed out what my observations are. However, I know not a lot of people will agree with me.

@Horus.
I already answered that before. smiley Take your time to read the thread.
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by Hauwa1: 2:26pm On Apr 25, 2009
El, which simpson are you talking abt? the cartoon? undecided
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by Horus(m): 2:27pm On Apr 25, 2009
ElRazur:

@Horus.
I already answered that before. smiley Take your time to read the thread.

I did take my time to read the thread,but I dont see anything accurate that we can call answers.

Put together by who?, when?,and how?,before or after their wedding?
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by debosky(m): 2:28pm On Apr 25, 2009
ElRazur:

We really do not know the Obamas, but apart from what we see on tv. We know more about the simpson [there up and downs] than we know of the Obamas. I used the Simpson analogy to illustrate my point.

All their moves and how they act would have been rehearsed for the tv and in most cases, they would at least had a "tv coaching".

Once again you have made a HIGHLY presumptive statement. You admit that you 'really do not know the Obamas' and in the next breath you state definitively that the way they act would have been rehearsed for tv. . . .there is a clear disconnect there.

How can you give an opinion on the source or root of their 'moves and acts' if you have not observed them prior to the increased media spotlight? Have you related with them outside of the media glare to determine whether this is a genuine act or not?

I believe this is simply deep seated cynicism on your part, and that is part of what the Obama family is about - showing people that it doesn't have to be rehearsed or fake - people can and do have functional families, even with ups and downs.
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by ElRazur: 2:32pm On Apr 25, 2009
Horus:

I did take my time to read the thread,but I dont see anything accurate that we can call answers.

Put together by who?, when?,and how?,before or after their wedding?

Really? Let's try again, shall we. smiley

How many families have a PR behind them? The mere fact that a PR is involved is probably enough to say they do not represent a "True family".

The Simpson analogy was used to deliver home a point I was making. We know more about the Simpsons, than we know more of the Obamas.

Again for the second or third time or so, when I said "Put together" I was referring to the work of the PR people who "put them together" via telling them how to act and behave in a public place etc. I wasn't talking about their marriage or how they met et al.
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by ElRazur: 2:41pm On Apr 25, 2009
debosky:

Once again you have made a HIGHLY presumptive statement. You admit that you 'really do not know the Obamas' and in the next breath you state definitively that the way they act would have been rehearsed for tv. . . .there is a clear disconnect there.

How can you give an opinion on the source or root of their 'moves and acts' if you have not observed them prior to the increased media spotlight? Have you related with them outside of the media glare to determine whether this is a genuine act or not?

I believe this is simply deep seated cynicism on your part, and that is part of what the Obama family is about - showing people that it doesn't have to be rehearsed or fake - people can and do have functional families, even with ups and downs.

Having a PR people behind them would mean they would be "coached" at one stage or the other. It is well known that high profile people often get media coaching before attending a public event as all eyes are on them. The Royal family do this every now and then. I personally do not feel there is a clear disconnect though, merely stating what I see and drawing from well known examples.

Another example to indicate a coaching of some kind is during the presidential campaign, Michelle was accused of being abrasive and too harsh by critics, she then toned it down from there on and now, she is much more approachable etc. The point I am making is that her PR machine would have advised her on how she conducts herself etc.

I cannot keep this up, as it sounds like am going round on the same spot. grin

I suppose if the majority of the people disagree, then my view is highly unpopular then and incorrect to those concerned. smiley
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by Hauwa1: 3:59pm On Apr 25, 2009
If there are terrible things abt Barrack(cheating, concunbines, having kids outside wedlock, etc) it would have been out there. If there are horrible things abt Michele (cheating, baby daddy, etc), it would have been out there too.

they are role models, they are good example for young pple to emulate. i don't think there is anything hidden abt them. they may have their marrital small small quarrel like my mom and dad, i agree with Richy they are what family is all about, husband/wifey love and love for their kids and fellow human.
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by ElRazur: 4:16pm On Apr 25, 2009
Yes they are models to the people who may look up to them. smiley

My other point, was trying to bring a different view and approach to the debate.
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by linxon(m): 10:10pm On Apr 25, 2009
how cute
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by linxon(m): 10:12pm On Apr 25, 2009
how cute
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by RichyBlacK(m): 1:28am On Apr 26, 2009
debosky:

A poignant observation!
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:31am On Apr 26, 2009
while I see ElRazur, if most of their actions were "fake", I think the republicans would have brought it to light esp by now
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by JJYOU: 1:38am On Apr 26, 2009
wbb
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by ElRazur: 12:46pm On Apr 26, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

while I see ElRazur, if most of their actions were "fake", I think the republicans would have brought it to light esp by now

It appears that in American politics, family issues are respected by opponents and not used as a "political weapon". A few examples that supports this statement is the case of Sarah Palin. Remember how not much was said about her pregnant daughter, and the opposition respected this? Remember the Bill Clinton saga, the focus was the lies and not how it may have damage Mrs Clinton etc.

Personally for me, I find it hard to accept that a family with a PR behind them is a "true" representation of a real family.
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:58pm On Apr 26, 2009
It's not used as a weapon by the OPPONENTS directly but people supporting them usually have stuff to say ie, Bill's philandering, Cheney's lesbian daughter, Palin's daughter being an unwed teen mother, etc. If Obama had family problems, i think they would have thrown them in the limelight. Most was that he smokes which most knew anyone, they couldnt even show a picture of him doing so, aside from the one where he was a teen, all the other smoking pics were doctored.
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by dayokanu(m): 3:49pm On Apr 26, 2009
What role exactly do you think the PR are doing on this family.

Both Ivy league graduates, Both have clean background, No record of cheating by either party

Maybe the PR people told the Obama girls to ask for a dog as a present.

Maybe you are wondering how a black family can be so perfect without any wayward family ties, No cousin in jail, No junkie, No baby momma/daddy.

It happens if people are disciplined when growing up they also can be like the Obama family

BTW, Where that Malia dey tall go?
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by ElRazur: 11:34am On Apr 27, 2009
dayokanu,

Is canada cold? Do bear Poo in the woods? What do you think the role of the PR team are?

As for the rest of your post, it is all Maybes and not worthy of a proper reply. smiley
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by spikedcylinder: 11:45am On Apr 27, 2009
El,
What then do the Obama's have to do to satisfy your definition of "true family"?
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by spikedcylinder: 11:47am On Apr 27, 2009
dayokanu:

BTW, Where that Malia dey tall go?

Her papa na Kenyan, her mama tall like tree, you come dey ask question. angry tongue
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by ElRazur: 11:51am On Apr 27, 2009
spikedcylinder:

El,
What then do the Obama's have to do to satisfy your definition of "true family"?

People seem to be taking this wrongly. I have no problem with the Obama's they owe me nothing and vice versa. However, I merely pointed an observation, which I already stated it may not be popular with some.

Anyway, ask yourself how may Families have a PR behind them? Please look up what PR people do. Finally, I am saying, they are not a true representation of what family is all about. It is more or less an image of what people want and they are giving it to the public. Apart from what you see on tv, what do you really know about them? Hence why I made an illustration about how we know more about The Simpson than the Obamas.
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by spikedcylinder: 12:27pm On Apr 27, 2009
ElRazur:

People seem to be taking this wrongly. I have no problem with the Obama's they owe me nothing and vice versa. However, I merely pointed an observation, which I already stated it may not be popular with some.

Anyway, ask yourself how may Families have a PR behind them? Please look up what PR people do. Finally, I am saying, they are not a true representation of what family is all about. It is more or less an image of what people want and they are giving it to the public. Apart from what you see on tv, what do you really know about them? Hence why I made an illustration about how we know more about The Simpson than the Obamas.

Taking it wrongly? What I deduce from your post is that, the Obama family might be a happy one but not as happy as their PR team make them out to be, right?

On to the highlighted. . . .

-Tom Cruise and whatsherface. They have PR but people still think Tom is a crazy man and whatsherface is a mumu.
-Amy Winehouse and whatshisface. Amy has loads of PR, are they picture perfect?
- Clinton and Hillary. They were the first family, they had lots of PR but look where his semen got him? Thats even if you decide to ignore the "Hillary is a lesbinim" gist.
- Madonna and Guy. Madonna has nearly killed herself with PR over the years but does it stop her from looking like a maniac? Did it stop her family from splitting into shreds? No.
- Didn't George Bush have PR as well? Why wasn't his own family in the limelight depicting love as it should be?

Please, give me one point against the Obamas and their family values. At least you should have some if you are going to stay on this side of the argument.

My point is, PR is good but with this particular first family their love flows with ease, aided by PR moves that makes the world see how they truly love each other.
Every family has its loop holes and secrets but what sane person would rather have the world see that aspect of his/her family as opposed to the picture perfect side?
Re: Obama: What Family Is All About by ElRazur: 12:39pm On Apr 27, 2009
Okay. Point taken. Or should I say, I give up. undecided

I would rather take a family without PR behind them serious as a true representation of family. smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

You Will Mourn Soon, Iranian Official Tells Israel, United States / Ukrainian Troops Leaving Their Positions, Dropping Weapons — Defense Ministry / Russia Offensive Moving Faster Than Expected

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.