Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,152 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:51 AM

Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. (5189 Views)

Faces Of The Failed Coup Plotters In Burundi (pics) / Faces Of The Innocent Victims Of Flight MH17 That Killed All 298 People. / Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by OneNaija(m): 12:26am On Apr 24, 2009
IT is another case of racial discrimination in the United Kingdom (UK), as Nigerian-born Miss Helen Lawal, who won a beauty competition and was crowned Miss York now faces threat to her life for being a black girl.

advertisement
In a telephone call to the organiser of the beauty contest, Vivienne Lee, a man who named himself as "Mr. Paver" was alleged to have complained about Helen Lawal's participating in the competition and made a series of racial comments about "these people being allowed into the country."

Miss Lee, who is worried about the safety of Miss Lawal who will compete in the Miss England contest in July, has already reported the matter to the North Yorkshire Police, who have commenced investigation of the calls.

According to a report in the Tuesday edition of The Daily Telegraph, the 13-year old Nigerian-born Lawal, who won the competition earlier this month, is the reigning Miss Black Britain. She is a student at Hull York Medical School.

In her report to the police, Lee said: " A man with Yorkshire accent called me to say there shouldn't be a black person representing York and he said he would 'get all of us.'

"He said the winner should have been indigenous to this country and she should not have been eligible for it because she was born in Nigeria.

"He added that I was an absolute disgrace for letting a black girl win. I tried to explain to him the eligibility rules that as long as you have a British passport, you can enter."

The Daily Telegraph informs that although Miss Lawal was born in Nigeria, she went to UK as a toddler and has a British passport. Her father, Mustapha is a surgeon in Africa and her mother Sue, a nurse, is white and lives in Yorkshire. Miss Lawal is a medical student at the Hull York Medical School, based at the University of York.

In a statement, the North Yorkshire Police were quoted to have said " we can confirm that a malicious call involving racist statements was reported to us on Friday, April 17. We take the issue of hate crimes very seriously and will investigate."
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by OneNaija(m): 12:32am On Apr 24, 2009
She truly Beautiful to Win It.Shame on UK. Racist.

Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by sherifatou: 1:15am On Apr 24, 2009
pretty girl.

She better watch her back or go undercover.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 1:19am On Apr 24, 2009
OneNaija:

The same UK that selected and appointed her as winner is the one you are calling Racist and Shame on? angry

Can a whitegirl win a beauty competition in your village?

To me, the girl is average, nothing is special about her.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sauron1: 1:32am On Apr 24, 2009
OneNaija:

Racist?? How did she win the crown if the organisers were racists??
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by TOYOSI20(f): 2:45am On Apr 24, 2009
All these should have been taken care of or cleared during the screening process, which happens to be very rigorous. . . . . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

If it was over looked then . . . it should be over looked now as well. . . . .!!

And besides how did she qualify for the pageant if she wasn’t a naturalized citizen. . . . . .?? shocked shocked shocked shocked

They need to deal wid it jare or better still fall back and kick ROCKS!! angry

She’s gorgeous BTW!! smiley
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Hotstepper(f): 3:08am On Apr 24, 2009
shez beautiful, she should just give dem their crown and have peace of mind
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by tpiah: 3:25am On Apr 24, 2009
Yorkshire people are very protective of their identity and heritage,imo.

Some will understandably get upset at the thought of a black person/"foreigner" being imposed on them as a representative, but at the same the caller is clearly off his rocker.

And from users comment in some papers, not all Yorkies are upset with Miss Lawal. Not sure what the organizers are trying to do anyway.

Her mom is white British and lives in Yorkshire, though I'm not sure she's from there.

the lady has time for modelling while in med school? Cool!!! wink Good luck with her studies.

that's one fabulous doctor- I can imagine the "problems" she's going to have with her male patients cheesy

(the organizer) tells BBC, adding that she was “shocked and surprised” about the phone call in the aftermath of Lawal winning the Miss York title. “Since living in Pickering she has not encountered any racism"

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Miss-England-Beauty-Queen-Targeted-for-Being-Black-109745.shtml

that's life oh!
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sunnybobo3(m): 6:57am On Apr 24, 2009
Does she see herself as a Nigerian?
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by blacksta(m): 7:22am On Apr 24, 2009
Sunny_bobo:

Does she see herself as a Nigerian?

I doubt it

People just like blowing shit out of proportion. The girl only received from one call from a nutter. The news is not even reported here in the u.k . THe first time i heard was on a nigerian website and from the headlines one deduct that the whole u.k is after this girl. what a shame when it comes to new broadcasting.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by texazzpete(m): 7:24am On Apr 24, 2009
some Nigerian journalists need to be re-trained. The organizers received ONE phone call from ONE man and they are reporting it as 'another case of racial discrimination in the United Kingdom'

Come to Nairaland.com and see cases of tribal discrimination here.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by blacksta(m): 7:28am On Apr 24, 2009
texazzpete:

some Nigerian journalists need to be re-trained. The organizers received ONE phone call from ONE man and they are reporting it as 'another case of racial discrimination in the United Kingdom'

grin grin
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 8:48am On Apr 24, 2009
blacksta:

I doubt it

People just like blowing shit out of proportion. The girl only received from one call from a nutter. The news is not even reported here in the u.k . THe first time i heard was on a nigerian website and from the headlines one deduct that the whole u.k is after this girl. what a shame when it comes to new broadcasting.

texazzpete:

I wonder!

UK is a racist nation according to OneNaija but yet they elected her as winner? His opinion is formulated from report of ONE PERSON not approving?

And this OneNaija has a right to vote? 

And in regards to this girl's looks, on an average day I see at least 20 girls finer than her on the streets. To me she is so average I can not go steady with her. I wonder how they select beauty queens nowadays.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by tpiah: 8:50am On Apr 24, 2009
The organizers received ONE phone call from ONE man and they are reporting it as 'another case of racial discrimination in the United Kingdom'

hate crimes are treated differently. At least that's the theory.

The actual number of callers isnt important- the fact that she was threatened is.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by OneNaija(m): 10:14am On Apr 24, 2009
I really don't Understand any of you Guys. There many peoples in U.K which I can describe as a Racist., U.K White Citizen can call a Nigerians 419. It is all Nigerians are doing 419? No , So UK are racist It does not Describe that all UK Citizen are Racist.so get your head back in the Toilet and Piss off.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by OneNaija(m): 10:24am On Apr 24, 2009
Sometime when you Nigerians Living Abroad Mostly the UK which their Brain hasAlready been Affected by UK tax which they cant come back Home.all you know is to sit down there and talk thrash.Can you Win something in your life? You are saying does she see herself as a Nigeria. Why not. Does Barrack Obama see himself as a Kenya? That is the Question you Poor UK need to ask yourself.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by MrCrackles(m): 10:28am On Apr 24, 2009
Topic
Racism is still a massive problem
I know people who will claim they are not racist in the public only to launch into foul mouthed and racist tirades in the comforts of thier own home
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by LadyT(f): 10:30am On Apr 24, 2009
OneNaija I curse the girl you said raped you.  Because you now have brain damage.

idiot
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by OneNaija(m): 10:48am On Apr 24, 2009
@Lazy Tina I think you miss your Period If you want me to help you find it,No problem I am doctor in that. Foolish Coward.You will lost in UK.I don't know if you know the Village where you come from.Well You don't even have vision in your life why am i talking to you. Stupid Naughty Girl
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 10:49am On Apr 24, 2009
MrCrackles:

Topic
I know people who will claim they are not racist in the public only to launch into foul mouthed and racist tirades in the comforts of thier own home

MrCrackles, I hope you are applying this assessment to all races because black people launch into foul mouthed and racist tirades in the comforts of thier own home AND EVEN IN PUBLIC more than white people.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 10:51am On Apr 24, 2009
OneNaija:

Sometime when you Nigerians Living Abroad Mostly the UK which their Brain hasAlready been Affected by UK tax which they cant come back Home.all you know is to sit down there and talk thrash.Can you Win something in your life? You are saying does she see herself as a Nigeria. Why not. Does Barrack Obama see himself as a Kenya? That is the Question you Poor UK need to ask yourself.

This guy has the right to vote?  angry
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 10:55am On Apr 24, 2009
OneNaija:

I really don't Understand any of you Guys. There many peoples in U.K which I can describe as a Racist., U.K White Citizen can call a Nigerians 419. It is all Nigerians are doing 419? No , So UK are racist It does not Describe that all UK Citizen are Racist.so get your head back in the Toilet and Piss off.

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by LadyT(f): 10:57am On Apr 24, 2009
OneNaija:

@Lazy Tina I think you miss your Period If you want me to help you find it,No problem I am doctor in that. Foolish Coward.You will lost in UK.I don't know if you know the Village where you come from.Well You don't even have vision in your life why am i talking to you. Stupid Naughty Girl

ROTFLMAO grin do you want to spank me?

Sagamite:

This guy has the right to vote?  angry

LMAO!!! wink
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 11:02am On Apr 24, 2009
LadyT:

ROTFLMAO grin do you want to spank me?

Kai, Olorun maje!!! grin
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by OneNaija(m): 11:02am On Apr 24, 2009
@ Lazy Tina. I like to dork you,Never mind I don't want to be contacted. You understand
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by LadyT(f): 11:04am On Apr 24, 2009
shocked You want to do what to me? Look find someone else to try out your perverted fantasies on. Or better yet get an English teacher. Were omo.

OneNaija:

@ Lazy Tina. I like to dork you,Never mind I don't want to be contacted. You understand
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by MrCrackles(m): 11:07am On Apr 24, 2009
Sagamite:

MrCrackles, I hope you are applying this assessment to all races because black people launch into foul mouthed and racist tirades in the comforts of thier own home AND EVEN IN PUBLIC more than white people.

Absolutely!
I will tell you something, nowadays, black people do it a lot more! cheesy
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by LadyT(f): 11:11am On Apr 24, 2009
MrCrackles:

Absolutely!
I will tell you something, nowadays, black people do it a lot more! cheesy

Because we are conditioned to think everyone is racist but us. Because we have suffered for so long!
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Nobody: 11:11am On Apr 24, 2009
MrCrackles:

Topic

only racism ?  cheesy

come to NL, and meet people who launch into foul mouthed , sectarian and bigoted tirades from the anonymity of the internet  cheesy grin

without the internet, some people will run mad from their pent up hatred of their fellow men  cheesy cheesy

James Watson should have stuck to stormfront or whatever forum/medium he used to blow off on the inability of th monkeys he was forced to work with  tongue tongue; gues he didn't want to pass on without getting his true feelings off his chest
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by MrCrackles(m): 11:12am On Apr 24, 2009
LadyT:

Because we are conditioned to think everyone is racist but us. Because we have suffered for so long!

Still not a justifiable reason to keep stoking up the fires of racism! grin cheesy
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by LadyT(f): 11:15am On Apr 24, 2009
You mis-understand me I agree with you. I personally think its worst when a black person is racist to someone else. Should we not know better?

Look on here you have igbo and yoruba battles etc going back and forth. And these guys are the same skin colour!

MrCrackles:

Still not a justifiable reason to keep stoking up the fires of racism! grin cheesy
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 11:16am On Apr 24, 2009
MrCrackles:

I couldn't agree more.

What you don't like being done to you, don't do to others especially when it is unreasonable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections / Russia Orders Obama: Tell World About Aliens, Or We Will. / Congratulations Mr. Biden, The Difference Is Clear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.