Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,505 members, 7,808,858 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

How To Answer The Toughest Interview Questions. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Answer The Toughest Interview Questions. (844 Views)

The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? / How To Answer the terrific "Tell Me About Yourself?" Interview Question. / 5 Ways To Answer The Interview Question, "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Answer The Toughest Interview Questions. by databoy247(m): 7:09am On Oct 09, 2015
ProCV Nigeria is currently the largest CV writing service in Nigeria. We have helped hundreds of professionals switch careers and also helped young graduates get new job opportunities. We will continue to serve at all times. Our services include; CV and cover letter writing, CV review, advisory services, CV distribution, and consultations.

I will be starting a free tutorial session here on how to answer the toughest interview questions, providing you with best possible answers to these questions.

[b]LET'S BEGIN....

Interviewing is not just about answering questions, it is about answering questions well and most importantly showing yourself in the best possible light. If you find yourself answering with a blunt ‘yes’ or ‘no’, then you need to realize that you are missing an opportunity to sell yourself.

The interviewer wants to assess your strengths, weaknesses, professionalism and suitability. If you give closed ‘single-word’ replies, then you stand little or no chance of persuading them to give you the job.

Of course if you were asked a question and you don’t have a suitable answer, this will harm your application. So we have prepared the top most common and hardest interview questions which you are likely to come across during the course of your interview.

It is necessary for you to understand that, the way you answer a question is one of the keys to a successful interview. Bear in mind that an interview is about selling yourself. A skilled interviewer will continually ask ‘open’ questions, which by their nature, are probing but will allow you to sell your skills and abilities.

Imagine an interview where the replies were all ‘one-word’ answers or short sentences. It would not be very comfortable for either party to sit through and your chances of getting the job would be almost zero.

You need to show you have personality, enthusiasm and a great team ethic to succeed at interviews. There are basically 5 key elements that the interviewer is looking for in a candidate. These are;

Can you do the job?
Will you do the job?
What is the problem I am here to solve?
Will you take direction and conform to the team ethic?

So, what do you think are the toughest interview questions? How can you answer them? We have made a compilation that will interest you. Are you interested to learn more?
Re: How To Answer The Toughest Interview Questions. by databoy247(m): 7:28am On Oct 09, 2015
Your indicated interests will propel me to continue.
Re: How To Answer The Toughest Interview Questions. by Dieumerci(m): 7:52am On Oct 09, 2015
'We have helped'
Don't quote this post cos I'll edit it.
Good job.
Re: How To Answer The Toughest Interview Questions. by databoy247(m): 3:07pm On Oct 09, 2015
Q. Where do you see this industry in 5 years time?
A. Although this is the type of question that would be asked in a more senior position, everyone should know something about their industry.
The interviewer is not asking for a prediction but actually wants to know if you understand the current issues facing the industry and what the future trends may be.

If you are going for a more junior position and the question comes up, then you should be grateful. Answering with a full and carefully considered reply will distinguish your application and elevate you above the competitors.

Q. What do you know about our company and its product range?
A. This type of question is likely to be more akin to a sales position. This is where you should have done your homework and understood what the company was all about. Failure to have done this could be a major setback!

Make sure you have prepared your answer by researching the company. Of course these days, the internet is the best medium for doing this.
A more senior managerial position will require you to have an in depth knowledge of the future direction of the industry. This is because your decisions may have a direct impact on the long term direction the company is taking.

If you are going for a more junior position and the question comes up, then you should be grateful. Answering with a full and carefully considered reply will distinguish your application and elevate you above the competition.

Q. What has attracted you to this job?
A. You may find out that you only have a limited amount of information on the role. Your understanding of the role may be limited to what you have read in the job description. You may need to reply to the interviewer looking for clarification about some of the aspects of the job.

Concentrate on describing the challenge, rewarding career, and the experience you will gain. Do not mention money if you can help it. Definitely do not say anything negative about your previous employer/boss and wanting to leave. Comments like ‘’I just cannot wait to leave my existing employer’’ should be completely avoided.

However, the question will not just be role related but will include the wider organization. Additionally, describe what you perceive to be the forward thinking elements of the organization and what advantages they appear to offer. For example their use of new technology.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Answer The Toughest Interview Questions. by databoy247(m): 7:45am On Oct 10, 2015
Q. Why do you want to change employer and join our organization and what as an organization can we offer that is better than your current employer?

A. It is asking for a direct comparison between your current employer and your future employer. An interviewer wants to hear that you are a valued member in your current/previous company. You have worked for an organization that has trained you to a high level and you have been providing a strong contribution to their skilled workforce. They hope to leverage these skills in their organization.

A typical answer which deals with such a comparison should read…
‘My current organization has been a great career move for me, I have learned many new skills eg. X... There is a great team ethic and I feel I have made a strong contribution to their sales team/office/project team etc. However I see your organization and the role on offer as a new challenge which can leverage my skills and allow me to challenge myself towards setting new goals and further my career in a way that the current organization perhaps doesn’t offer.’’

Of course, this answer needs to be tailored to meet your particular circumstances. Start by listing what you like about your current organization and the experience you have gained. Compare this with the list of skills and benefits you expect to find in the new organization. Use this list to tailor your answer.

Here you’re not expected to talk about money. The sub text of this question and so many others like it, is the interviewer wanting to know ‘What’s in it for me?’
You should be replying I am making a contribution and this is how… include examples of how you can make the contribution, which backs up your claims. By saying you want to leverage your skills in the new role and show how you can make a strong contribution is precisely what the interviewer wants to hear.

If you say or even imply the reason for the new job is that you are looking for more money or additional benefits, then this does not imply you are making a contribution to the new organization. You are in fact saying this is ‘’what is in it for me’’ and does not address the interviewers needs!

Q. What do you dislike about the role being offered?
A. This is an unusual question but reeks of negativity. Keep the answer neutral by saying there is no elements that appear to be of any concern. Then try to keep the reply upbeat by saying you are thrilled to be considered for such an exciting position which is a great opportunity to advance your career.

Q. What have you learned most from your past career?
A. Another chance to talk about your successes but a truly open-ended question. You should talk about your specific skills and experience that you can offer. Remember the skills need to be transferable to the new employer.

A closing statement like the one below will also add value, it will distinguish your answer and elevate your application......‘I have learned many things as you can imagine. But one point always rings true. Everyone needs to be treated with respect, their opinion should be valued and they should be encouraged to contribute to the good of the organization.’

(1) (Reply)

Massive Job Recruitment At Caleb University / 4 Available Positions / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.