Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:34 PM

Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) (55662 Views)

My Experience About Snail Farming, Pictures, Etc / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Agricultural Science Graduate: What Do You Know About Planting TOMATO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by jethro2: 12:17am On Dec 14, 2016
Louisachinwe:
Hello Mr. Jethro, How can I contact you? I would appreciate your feedback. Cheers
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by adecz: 5:44am On May 04, 2017
Tomato has only two types
of supply or availability situations;

There is either a glut or extreme
scarcity, so, you must have a future
plan for some type of processing.

Beware of "Tomato Ebola" cool
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Itydee(m): 10:52pm On Jul 27, 2017
Thanks I appreciate.
Are you a tomatoes farmer? if so can you drop your number or email so we can discuss progress as the future unravels?
ilubarde:
10 acres roughly equals 4 hectares. That is a huge land for vegetables production and not just tomatoes. Just ensure that the land is well drained and not water-logged. Bush burning or caterpillar clearing? Either has its benefits and challenges. Local peculiarities preclude evaluation of cost. But, caterpillar clearing compacts the land while bush burning burns the top soil nutrients. In the end, it is your choice as you can always amend the soil to give you your desired nutrient levels
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by WaleAzeez: 10:14am On Mar 11, 2018
Pls my people I'm new here, I planted some hybrid tomatoes in my yard last year for practical and when it starts flowering, the flowers started dropping. At first I thought this was due to too much nitrogen in the soil, since there is no way I could av done the test myself, I stopped planting cos the arvest was nothing to write home about. ........Fast forward to 2 days ago, I went to my friend frm whom I collected the seed that I want more and when he brought out the pack, I realised the seed is expired. My question is could this be the reason 4 the blossom drop?
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by WaleAzeez: 10:18am On Mar 11, 2018
crystalf:
I did not set out to plant tomato at the beginning. My plan was to plant palm trees and plantain together. But got my fingers burnt through the supplier of the palm(story for another thread)

I got 6.5 acres my friend also joined me with 10 acres totalling 16.5 acres. With plan to plant tomato all year round.

We have started and will be sharing my experience here.

I quote jethro2

don't go into farming if you can't invest your time it's not about money

Farming is not a get rich quick syndrome, it's hard work that pays

I quote Oluwunmi

You must be ready to get your hands dirty
Be willing to learn

More
pls can u add me on watsap 08038572757 , I'm in Abk and would really like to learn frm u
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Seun(m): 8:28pm On Mar 11, 2018
WaleAzeez:
Pls my people I'm new here, I planted some hybrid tomatoes in my yard last year for practical and when it starts flowering, the flowers started dropping. At first I thought this was due to too much nitrogen in the soil, since there is no way I could av done the test myself, I stopped planting cos the arvest was nothing to write home about. ........Fast forward to 2 days ago, I went to my friend frm whom I collected the seed that I want more and when he brought out the pack, I realised the seed is expired. My question is could this be the reason 4 the blossom drop?
No. Old seeds have a lower germination rate but once they have germinated the resulting plants are the same. I’m not a farmer but I think blossom drop can be caused by anything that stresses the plant such the excessive or insufficient sunlight/heat, nutrient deficiencies (e.g. potassium, calcium), insufficient or excessive watering/rainfall, pests, and diseases. Relieve the stress, and the problem should stop.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Frostyflame(m): 10:39am On May 07, 2018
Hello! The names Ayevbosa, I'm growing tomatoes this month. I'd like to as you a few questions, can I get your number?
lordhugo:

Hehe.
Tomatoes that i have sold.

The tomatoes did good. The brassicas do not inhibit growth. They simply use away the nitrogen that would have gone into making leaves for the tomatoes (inhibiting growth in a sense) while leaving more phosphates in the soil which helps flowering and fruit setting.

This is "common sense" as most organic and inorganic ferts available in the Nigerian setting are rich in nitrogen...

Imagine tomato likes dodo while brassicas love beans.
So it's like i gave both of them beans and dodo in one plate because the food seller doesn't sell one without the other. Let them sort out their feed themselves.

This is necessary because if tomato is in a nitrogen rich medium, it will get too leafy and bushy with less fruit.

(to others people- abeg brass I as are simply cabbage and its family members)

I planted in sacks recently and here they are...
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by oscarvicto(m): 12:27am On Mar 23, 2020
Itydee:
Im interested I have 10acres in port Harcourt. Will it work?
Clearing with manual bush burning and with caterpillar which one is better and more economical?

Lets partner. Reach me on 08063333215
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by oscarvicto(m): 12:30am On Mar 23, 2020
MAAF:

Okay , thanks.
However what I have noticed in Nigeria is that not a lot of people think of greenhouse farming. Places like Kenya have massive greenhouses that they use in cultivating vegetables and for commercial rose flower production.
In as much as it is expensive to construct a green house over 2-3hectares of land for vegetable farming, I think it has a lot of benefits for all sorts of vegetables to be grown all year round and therefore better productivity.
We are looking into setting up a moderate green house and then monitor production.
I will like to partner with u on green house farming . Reach me on 08063333215
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by abolaji62(m): 9:43am On Apr 14, 2020
Abro perishable and vegetable fruit seller of Nigeria
Can help you sells all your crop you have in farm like
Tomato marrow cucumber green pepper water melon
Green chille rodo okro and etc ..our own is just to remove 10% in any price we sell it, for more info you can cantact us on :shop10 mile12 international market lagos or call 09033053043 or join our whatsapp group: https:///LXK092QGXEvBkFAJe4wnUT ...... thanks for your patronize
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Otibrodali(m): 12:28pm On Oct 23, 2020
Hello greetings

Please can u kindly share a budget list/financial plan for planting 1 hectare of Tomatoes?

I would be grateful, thanks
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by konews: 11:41am On Feb 07, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Snail And Vegetable Backyard Garden / My Trap Caught A Big Bush Rat (video/pictures) / Big Python Killed In Our Farm Swallowed 2 Turkeys (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.