Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:17 PM

Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects (2092 Views)

Emir Zubairu Gwari To Subjects In Kaduna: "Defend Yourselves" / What Is Hausa Language (must Read) / Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 11, 2015
There are more English speakers in Nigeria than there are in the UK, the birthplace of the language.

I wonder why we want to kill our students over an adopted language. Even the exporters of the language cannot name ENGLISH LANGUAGE official language of the british.

Same goes for US. English language is not their official language.

I beg the Nigerian governemtn, English language should be removed from the list compulsory subject students must pass before entering university.
Re: Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 11, 2015
Really?

How do you propose the over 200 ethnic groups that make up Nigeria communicate across the language barriers if you make English a non-compulsory subject?

3 Likes

Re: Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects by Fulaman198(m): 5:19pm On Oct 11, 2015
beatzone:
There are more English speakers in Nigeria than there are in the UK, the birthplace of the language.

I wonder why we want to kill our students over an adopted language. Even the exporters of the language cannot name ENGLISH LANGUAGE official language of the british.

I beg the Nigerian governemtn, English language should be removed from the list compulsory subject students must pass before entering university.

English is the US official language, you must be in denial to think that it isn't.

Though I do agree with you that I'm not a fan of the English language many Nigerians are stubborn and would rather speak a European language as an official language rather than a Nigerian/African one.
Re: Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects by ezeagu(m): 5:39pm On Oct 11, 2015
beatzone:

There has to be a good enough education system to even start talking about what subjects should be made compulsory or not.

Radoillo:
Really?
How do you propose the over 200 ethnic groups that make up Nigeria communicate across the language barriers if you make English a non-compulsory subject?

I think this argument is overdone seeing as most people in Nigeria can't afford a proper education anyway for a good English lesson

Fulaman198:

English is the US official language, you must be in denial to think that it isn't.

Though I do agree with you that I'm not a fan of the English language many Nigerians are stubborn and would rather speak a European language as an official language rather than a Nigerian/African one.

There is no official language of the United States.

1 Like

Re: Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects by tpiander: 8:09pm On Oct 11, 2015
most northern Nigerians dont speak English, so are you referring to southern Nigeria?

In that case, you are wrong.

The number of English speakers in the south do not surpass the number of native English speakers in England.

Stop posting misinformation, thanks.

perhaps you included pidgin English in your stats.
Re: Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects by Fulaman198(m): 9:43pm On Oct 11, 2015
ezeagu:

There has to be a good enough education system to even start talking about what subjects should be made compulsory or not.

I think this argument is overdone seeing as most people in Nigeria can't afford a proper education anyway for a good English lesson

There is no official language of the United States.

Yes there is, English is the official language of the United States. Why do you think there is a thing called "US English" it's one of the options on your computer. Both Canada and United States have English as the official language. Except for Quebec, which is a French speaking province.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects by ezeagu(m): 10:00pm On Oct 11, 2015
Fulaman198:

Yes there is, English is the official language of the United States. Why do you think there is a thing called "US English" it's one of the options on your computer. Both Canada and United States have English as the official language. Except for Quebec, which is a French speaking province.

"The most common language in the United States is known as American English. However, no official language exists at the federal level. There have been several proposals to make English the national language in amendments to immigration reform bills,[5][6] but none of these bills have become law with the amendment intact."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States

US English is a dialect of English that's common in the United States, but there is no official language of the United States.

1 Like

Re: Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects by Fulaman198(m): 10:50pm On Oct 11, 2015
ezeagu:

"The most common language in the United States is known as American English. However, no official language exists at the federal level. There have been several proposals to make English the national language in amendments to immigration reform bills,[5][6] but none of these bills have become law with the amendment intact."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States

US English is a dialect of English that's common in the United States, but there is no official language of the United States.

LOL this is from Wikipedia. The ONLY spoken language, unless if you are an immigrant is English. It is the official language. Used in everything in the United States. United States speaks as much English as the U.K. does.

1 Like

Re: Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects by ezeagu(m): 11:55pm On Oct 11, 2015
Fulaman198:

LOL this is from Wikipedia. The ONLY spoken language, unless if you are an immigrant is English. It is the official language. Used in everything in the United States. United States speaks as much English as the U.K. does.

Yeah, it's from wikipedia, but it's backed with sources. There is no official language of the United States, hence there being a proposal to make it official. Actually some States in the United States have their laws published in Spanish as well as English, and us Spanish in many other public areas. English is absolutely not the only spoken language. An American can even tell you that. The fact that the English language is used in everything does not mean it's enshrined in law as an official language. Same way there is no official language in Australia and Japan despite the fact we know they use mostly one language. These countries simply have national languages just like Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba are national languages of Nigeria.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/08/the-united-states-doesnt-have-an-official-language/
http://www.businessinsider.com/one-map-that-proves-english-will-never-be-the-official-language-of-the-us-2013-9?IR=T
http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_lang.html

1 Like

Re: Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects by Fulaman198(m): 12:11am On Oct 12, 2015
ezeagu:

Yeah, it's from wikipedia, but it's backed with sources. There is no official language of the United States, hence there being a proposal to make it official. Actually some States in the United States have their laws published in Spanish as well as English, and us Spanish in many other public areas. English is absolutely not the only spoken language. An American can even tell you that. The fact that the English language is used in everything does not mean it's enshrined in law as an official language. Same way there is no official language in Australia and Japan despite the fact we know they use mostly one language. These countries simply have national languages just like Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba are national languages of Nigeria.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/08/the-united-states-doesnt-have-an-official-language/
http://www.businessinsider.com/one-map-that-proves-english-will-never-be-the-official-language-of-the-us-2013-9?IR=T
http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_lang.html

I said not spoken by "immigrants" There people who come from neighbouring countries like Mexico and Cuba and make Spanish a 2nd language after English (Miami in Florida is an example). Everything in the United States is done in English. Have you ever lived in the United States before? I'm curious. Because it's common knowledge that it is the only used language. Most Americans only speak one language and that's English.
Re: Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects by ezeagu(m): 12:44am On Oct 12, 2015
Fulaman198:

I said not spoken by "immigrants" There people who come from neighbouring countries like Mexico and Cuba and make Spanish a 2nd language after English (Miami in Florida is an example). Everything in the United States is done in English. Have you ever lived in the United States before? I'm curious. Because it's common knowledge that it is the only used language. Most Americans only speak one language and that's English.

I'm saying that there are states that use Spanish and English interchangeably like New Mexico, and Southern California. Also many of the states in the United States were parts of Mexico so many people aren't immigrants, as well as many of the Spanish speaking immigrant families being there for decades. Yes, English is the most spoken, but it is not the only language used or the official language. Remember, this is a discussion about official languages, which means languages that are made so by law. English isn't in the law, it's just naturally the most used. Native languages like Navajo are also used here and there. Same as Australia with native languages, same as Japan with Ainu and Okinawan.

1 Like

Re: Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects by Fulaman198(m): 12:48am On Oct 12, 2015
ezeagu:

I'm saying that there are states that use Spanish and English interchangeably like New Mexico, and Southern California. Also many of the states in the United States were parts of Mexico so many people aren't immigrants, as well as many of the Spanish speaking immigrant families being there for decades. Yes, English is the most spoken, but it is not the only language used or the official language. Remember, this is a discussion about official languages, which means languages that are made so by law. English isn't in the law, it's just naturally the most used. Native languages like Navajo are also used here and there. Same as Australia with native languages, same as Japan with Ainu and Okinawan.

In every state in the United States, English is mandatory. Spanish is a second language in certain parts of the country like Miami Florida, parts of California, parts of New Mexico and Arizona.

I am aware of the United States occupying former Mexican territory (Manifest Destiny nonsense), however, you can't go anywhere in America without knowing English. Without English, you can not get any job (serious) in the United States. That's just the truth.
Re: Reason ENGLISH LANGUAGE Must Be Expunged From The List Of Compulsory Subjects by ezeagu(m): 12:59am On Oct 12, 2015
Fulaman198:

In every state in the United States, English is mandatory. Spanish is a second language in certain parts of the country like Miami Florida, parts of California, parts of New Mexico and Arizona.

I am aware of the United States occupying former Mexican territory (Manifest Destiny nonsense), however, you can't go anywhere in America without knowing English. Without English, you can not get any job (serious) in the United States. That's just the truth.

That's because English is dominant, not because English is official, which is changing with the demographic anyway.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Remembering Daniel Olorunfemi Fagunwa (D. O Fagunwa) / Tsola Emiko Explains The Meaning Of "Atuwatse" / "High Bride Price led me to Armed Robbery" claims robbery suspect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.