Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,790 members, 7,806,187 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

Marriage Certificate. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage Certificate. (4097 Views)

Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate / Help: My Wife Altered Our Marriage Certificate (Picture) / (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 3:07pm On Oct 11, 2015
Good day fellow Nairalanders in Family section.

On the issue of marriage certificate,who is suppose to have it in custody?Is it the Husband or Wife?Though,their is this general belief that is suppose to be with the wife,but is it biblical or legal that way.

Matured input are highly needed,will be sending this thread after discussion to a new couple to read.
Thanks.
Re: Marriage Certificate. by hahn(m): 3:42pm On Oct 11, 2015
After getting married in a court, the wife is presented the certificate and it is regarded as the wive's property. I assume it's to protect the woman's right.

Someone with more legal experience can explain better though

1 Like

Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 3:47pm On Oct 11, 2015
hahn:
After getting married in a court, the wife is presented the certificate and it is regarded as the wive's property. I assume it's to protect the woman's right.

Someone with more legal experience can explain better though

The wife property.Dont the man has right to protect also?
Re: Marriage Certificate. by hahn(m): 3:57pm On Oct 11, 2015
signature2012:

The wife property.Dont the man has right to protect also?

Like I mentioned, someone with a better legal understanding will be able to shed more light on that fact.
Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 3:59pm On Oct 11, 2015
hahn:

Like I mentioned, someone with a better legal understanding will be able to shed more light on that fact.

Thanks for your input.

We await those who have more knowledge on this topic to shed more light.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Certificate. by YOUNGKAHUNA: 4:18pm On Oct 11, 2015
Shouldn't it be a collective possession?

1 Like

Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 4:39pm On Oct 11, 2015
YOUNGKAHUNA:
Shouldn't it be a collective possession?

You just spoke my mind.

See no reason why the wife should keep it.
Re: Marriage Certificate. by alakara(m): 6:31pm On Oct 11, 2015
Mine is with my wife since the day we got married. Saw it on our wedding day alone since then had not set my eye on it.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Certificate. by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 11, 2015
signature2012:

On the issue of marriage certificate,who is suppose to have it in custody?Is it the Husband or Wife?Though,their is this general belief that is suppose to be with the wife,but is it biblical or legal that way.

Matured input are highly needed,will be sending this thread after discussion to a new couple to read.
Thanks.
Does it really matter who keeps it? undecided ... Even if the wife or husband keeps it, the other must know where it is na, ain't they living in the same house? undecided

Una too dey worry unnecessarily. .

6 Likes

Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 6:59pm On Oct 11, 2015
alakara:
Mine is with my wife since the day we got married.
Saw it on our wedding day alone since then had not set my eye on it.

Why is it with your wife?Though am not against you keeping it with your wife,but why is it so?Why do women make it a must it has to be with them?
Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 7:01pm On Oct 11, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Does it really matter who keeps it? undecided ... Even if the wife or husband keeps it, the other must know where it is na, ain't they living in the same house? undecided

Una too dey worry unnecessarily. .

No one is worried,is just a discussion to learn more from.
Re: Marriage Certificate. by Captainswag225(m): 7:31pm On Oct 11, 2015
o.p, i think the original should be kept by the husband and the photocopy version should be kept by the wife.
Re: Marriage Certificate. by tpiander: 7:43pm On Oct 11, 2015
signature2012:

Thanks.

do the couple not have elders in their family, or friends or associates to ask.

or gumption.
Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 7:51pm On Oct 11, 2015
Captainswag225:
o.p, i think the original should be kept by the husband and the photocopy version should be kept by the wife.

Ok.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 7:53pm On Oct 11, 2015
tpiander:

do the couple not have elders in their family, or friends or associates to ask.

or gumption.

They have.
Re: Marriage Certificate. by Blade21: 12:37am On Oct 12, 2015
signature2012:

Thanks.
I got married in an anglican church after de wedding I a woman was given de marrieage certificate one copy was kep by de church de other was sent to de local government, I think the reason a woman keeps It I cos the ask of it more from women 4 eg when you go 4 a job interviews and any other thing de need proof you are married unlike a man so its no biggy if ur wife has de certificate
Re: Marriage Certificate. by subzidi: 1:41am On Oct 12, 2015
When I got married at ikoyi registry the certificate(1 copy original) was handed over to me and the court said the reason was because the woman keeps the home! However, I kept it in the safe at home where it is accessible to both of us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 2:39am On Oct 12, 2015
Blade21:
I got married in an anglican church after de wedding I a woman was given de marrieage certificate one copy was kep by de church de other was sent to de local government, I think the reason a woman keeps It I cos the ask of it more from women 4 eg when you go 4 a job interviews and any other thing de need proof you are married unlike a man so its no biggy if ur wife has de certificate

Ok,you have a point,most especially for change of name for the woman.
Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 2:42am On Oct 12, 2015
subzidi:
When I got married at ikoyi registry the certificate(1 copy original) was handed over to me and the court said the reason was because [/b]the woman keeps the home! However, I kept it in the safe at home[b] where it is accessible to both of us.

This part got me laughing grin,dont the man keep the home?But keeping it in a place where it is accessible to both of you is a very good one.
Re: Marriage Certificate. by Ewuro4: 2:50am On Oct 12, 2015
I believe the WIFE.
Re: Marriage Certificate. by Nobody: 7:22am On Oct 12, 2015
This certificate thingy reminds me of what the woman I met at the court registry told me...
She warned me to hide the certificate from my husband, that my husband should never know where it is kept.. That the certificate is my weapon to getting my rightful possessions/entitlements should anything happen to our marriage. ..
That with this certificate in my hand, my husband would avoid misbehaving and sit up in making our marriage work. . undecided grin

I no blame the woman, she must have seen so many cases of failed marriages. .

Went home and told my husband and we laughed about it.. He said our marriage would never get to that stage, Amen.... smiley

3 Likes

Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 7:25am On Oct 12, 2015
MarvellousGod:
This certificate thingy reminds me of what the woman I met at the court registry told me...
She warned me to hide the certificate from my husband, that my husband should never know where it is kept.. That the certificate is my weapon to getting my rightful possessions/entitlements should anything happen to our marriage. ..
That with this certificate in my hand, my husband would avoid misbehaving and sit up in making our marriage work. . undecided grin

I no blame the woman, she must have seen so many cases of failed marriages. .

Went home and told my husband and we laughed about it.. He said our marriage would never get to that stage, Amen.... smiley

I say a big AMEN to that.Our marriages will never encounter difficulties.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 7:26am On Oct 12, 2015
Ewuro4:
I believe the WIFE.

Why should it be the wife,cant the husband keep it?
Re: Marriage Certificate. by Ewuro4: 7:28am On Oct 12, 2015
signature2012:

Why should it be the wife,cant the husband keep it?

You too like trouble.. Marriage cert is handed to the wife. End of.
Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 7:35am On Oct 12, 2015
Ewuro4:

You too like trouble.. Marriage cert is handed to the wife. End of.

Lol @ trouble grin.
Re: Marriage Certificate. by Ewuro4: 7:44am On Oct 12, 2015
signature2012:

Lol @ trouble grin.

Abi now, you want to start dragging a matter that has been resolved right from the courts. Wahala you dey find Na. Put your face right and mind your own documents in your possession bros. M.cert is the least of your problem.

How's Buhari doing so far?
Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 7:55am On Oct 12, 2015
Ewuro4:

Abi now, you want to start dragging a matter that has been resolved right from the courts. Wahala you dey find Na. Put your face right and mind your own documents in your possession bros. M.cert is the least of your problem.

How's Buhari doing so far?

Buhari is not doing fine so far,am only still perceiving his body odour. grin

Re: Marriage Certificate. by Ewuro4: 8:07am On Oct 12, 2015
[quote author=signature2012 post=38899995][/quote]

See?

We do have a problem in our hands to TACKLE grin
Re: Marriage Certificate. by Kimoni: 8:29am On Oct 12, 2015
signature2012:

Thanks.

These type of thoughts are not healthy. It makes marriage look like a competition.

Who uses the certificate most? Whose name changed? Who needs the certificate at every given opportunity to prove she is the same person despite having two names in one lifetime? Like tpia said, simple gumption should resolve this.

I will run fast and wide from any man asking these type of questions.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 8:48am On Oct 12, 2015
Kimoni:

These type of thoughts are not healthy. It makes marriage look like a competition.

Who uses the certificate most? Whose name changed? Who needs the certificate at every given opportunity to prove she is the same person despite having two names in one lifetime? Like tpia said, simple gumption should resolve this.

[/b]I will run fast and wide from any man asking these type of questions.[b]
You don't have to @ the bolded,this question came up in a general discussion out of love and fun among young couples.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Certificate. by jashar(f): 11:21am On Oct 12, 2015
I believe it's usually handed over to the wife because she has need of it more and also she has more to loose if something bad happens like death, divorce, another wife etc.
The court recognises the woman is not fully protected by law, so it's their way of providing the wife some protection.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Certificate. by signature2012(m): 11:50am On Oct 12, 2015
jashar:
I believe it's usually handed over to the wife because she has need of it more and also she has more to loose if something bad happens like death, divorce, another wife etc.
The court recognises the woman is not fully protected by law, so it's their way of providing the wife some protection.

Your points are very salient.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please I Need Help!!! I Am Dying Gradually / What Name Should I Give My Child? / Is There A Man Out There Who Would Forgive A Wife That Commits Adultry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.