Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,713 members, 7,805,945 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

Eyo Festival Is Occultic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eyo Festival Is Occultic (6370 Views)

Osinbanjo Throws Jibes At Tinubu, Tinubu Fires Back; As He Dances To Eyo Steps / Do Nigerians Deserve An Occultic (ogboni) President For 4 Years? / Jonathan's Declaration On 11-11-2014 Has Occultic Significance - Chris Okotie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eyo Festival Is Occultic by blokoncept(m): 11:18pm On Apr 25, 2009
fellow nigerians,why are been decievd in this present generation.
where our fahters are initaliing us in to occultic all in the name of FESTIVAL.
Can you imagine women are asked not to wear certain head tie
and Men are made to remove their shoe all in the name BARBARIC festival
[b][/b][b][/b]EYO festival is occultic
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by oderemo(m): 11:26pm On Apr 25, 2009
where r u from,?
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Horus(m): 11:27pm On Apr 25, 2009
Why BARBARIC? shocked,can you explain to us?
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by blacksta(m): 11:28pm On Apr 25, 2009
i concur with the poster. When i was in lagos my father took me to watch eyo up till now i see eyo chasing me in my dreams
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by debosky(m): 11:31pm On Apr 25, 2009
blacksta:

i concur with the poster. When i was in lagos my father took me to watch eyo up till now i see eyo chasing me in my dreams

Are you being serious? How long ago was this?
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Horus(m): 11:33pm On Apr 25, 2009
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by oderemo(m): 11:37pm On Apr 25, 2009
concur with the poster. When i was in lagos my father took me to watch eyo up till now i see eyo chasing me in my dreams

where you live up to brentwood cum chelmsford, nah. i doubt it.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Kobojunkie: 12:00am On Apr 26, 2009
blacksta:

ogbeni!!! You dogbon cookie, no be small!!! roflmao!!!

@Poster, SO??
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by posakosa(m): 12:59pm On Apr 26, 2009
Its culture not Occultic.

Religion in Nigeria is Occultic.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by wirinet(m): 1:48pm On Apr 26, 2009
Another Brainwashed, inferior complexed, colonial mental and confused black man.
If Eyo festival is occultic, what about other imported ones, some of which you gladly celebrate even though you do not know their origin.

1. Christmas
2. Easter
3. Haloween
4. Valentine

Others you should consider occultic
1. Osun festival
2. Arugungun fishing festival
3. All cultural festivals

So you are advocating abandoning all our festivals and cultures because your white colonial masters branded them occultic.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by tpiah: 2:19pm On Apr 26, 2009
Is Argungu festival occultic?

The festival began in the year 1934, as a mark of the end of the centuries old hostility between the Sokoto Caliphate and the Kebbi Kingdom

wiki

anyway, many festivals do have ancient origins, like you pointed out.

Durbar Festival was introduced by the British, I think.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Horus(m): 2:20pm On Apr 26, 2009
wirinet:

Another Brainwashed, inferior complexed, colonial mental and confused black man.
If Eyo festival is occultic, what about other imported ones, some of which you gladly celebrate even though you do not know their origin.

1. Christmas
2. Easter
3. Haloween
4. Valentine

Others you should consider occultic
1. Osun festival
2. Arugungun fishing festival
3. All cultural festivals

So you are advocating abandoning all our festivals and cultures because your white colonial masters branded them occultic.

When we see nothing good in our own culture and thinks the culture of the white man is the norm, then something is wrong. We must get back to who and what we are by Nature, learn to Love ourself and our Kind, which will lead us to our True and Original way of Life and get away from living in and worshipping the Image of the White Man and his way of Death!
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by ElRazur: 2:26pm On Apr 26, 2009
'Glad a few people here have defended our cultures.

It gets on my nerves when Christianity and Islamity are touted as the true religion, When our own religions and cultures are labelled Paganism and something that will take us all to hell. [Hell - a concept that was coined by the white man in the first place]

Our culture as a result is fading away, it is time we them back before we stand the risk of losing them forever.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by mustafar1: 4:14pm On Apr 26, 2009
same is st patrics day, st. jupiter day, boxing day, new years day, sunday, even birthday is occultic at this point.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by oderemo(m): 4:24pm On Apr 26, 2009
When we see nothing good in our own culture and thinks the culture of the white man is the norm

to buttress this point though i might not be around then , in 50 yrs time Yoruba language will be hardly spoken again.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by AloyEmeka9: 5:16pm On Apr 26, 2009
What makes eyo festival occultic?. Are there any occultic practices like sacrifices to idols and blood libation involved in eyo festivals?
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by redsun(m): 5:21pm On Apr 26, 2009
Horus,i duff my hat,you are always hitting reality.Most of our people live in a dream world.

Same thing men like Fela lived and died for,speaking to people with hardened deluded hearts,that never listen or learn.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by redsun(m): 5:45pm On Apr 26, 2009
We should be able to evolve efficiently with our cultures,sift out the undesirable ones,like the mutilations,tribal facial markings,unwarranted class strata,evil sorceries and absolute reliance on the super-natural that is ours for the control, We should be able to orchestrate our environment to suite our economic,social and spiritual needs.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Moonstone(f): 5:50pm On Apr 26, 2009
I agree that Eyo festival is occultic to me ONLY because I'm a Christian.
Just because it is a part of our ancient tradition does not make it right. Killing twins was part of our tradition once upon a time. I hope they will at least keep it away from my streets and I won't judge them for what they are doing.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by bawomolo(m): 5:56pm On Apr 26, 2009
Moonstone:

Just because it is a part of our ancient tradition does not make it right. Killing twins was part of our tradition once upon a time. I hope they will at least keep it away from my streets and I won't judge them for what they are doing.

how would you feel if sango worshippers said Christian crusades should be kept out of the public view?
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by oderemo(m): 5:58pm On Apr 26, 2009
@redsun

you can be far from the truth. i see most families  these days RE BRANDING family names from ogunyemi to oluwayemi, from osuntobi to oluwatobi. the question i ask them is how will they like t in 30 yrs to come when their offspring RE BRAND oluwatobi to Chen Lu or McCarthy.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Moonstone(f): 6:00pm On Apr 26, 2009
bawomolo:

how would you feel if sango worshippers said Christian crusades should be kept out of the public view?
There should be freedom of movement. When someone puts me under house arrest to perform their rituals, I have a problem with it. Besides, Christians don't scare me with any masquerades or any crazy incantations. They speak english or words that I can understand and they don't shut down my streets and ask me to stay in till they do things.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by linxon(m): 6:07pm On Apr 26, 2009
redsun:

Horus,i duff my hat,you are always hitting reality.Most of our people live in a dream world.

Same thing men like Fela lived and died for,speaking to people with hardened deluded hearts,that never listen or learn.

I second that!

Moonstone:

Killing twins? really? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Moonstone(f): 6:08pm On Apr 26, 2009
linxon:

Killing twins? really? shocked shocked shocked
Yup, once upon a time.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by ifyalways(f): 6:16pm On Apr 26, 2009
Moonstone:

what exactly makes it occultic?
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Moonstone(f): 6:19pm On Apr 26, 2009
ifyalways:

what exactly makes it occultic?
I said to me it's occultic because I'm a christian. In my religion, we don't believe most of those things because they have a lot of spiritual connotations and we don't exactly agree with their practices. I'm sure other traditions think christianity is occultic as well. It's a relative thing and I'm not forcing my religion on me, no one should do that either.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by oderemo(m): 6:23pm On Apr 26, 2009
I
said to me it's occult because I'm a christian. In my religion, we don't believe most of those things because they have a lot of spiritual connotations .

i respect your view point and you stance.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by matiltomd(f): 6:35pm On Apr 26, 2009
@Moonstone, u amaze mi,
who told u Christians dnt shut streets,or they dnt make odas uncomfy at tyms?u must be outta service,
u shld knw that Naija Christians invented screaming in d mornings and evenings all in the name of preaching,nd dnt 4get all those mid-street vigils with projectors and the likes, dnt arrange the truth in ur favour,Eyo festival has nothing to do wit rituals ok?
sisi,if u think it occultic,afterall u werent dragged into it,or dem wan force u 2 join dem? try Valium,if u cant stand Eyo ok?
?
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Moonstone(f): 6:39pm On Apr 26, 2009
matiltom_d:

@Moonstone, u amaze mi,
who told u Christians dnt shut streets,or they dnt make odas uncomfy at tyms?u must be outta service,
u shld knw that Naija Christians invented screaming in d mornings and evenings all in the name of preaching,nd dnt 4get all those mid-street vigils with projectors and the likes, dnt arrange the truth in ur favour,Eyo festival has nothing to do wit rituals ok?
sisi,if u think it occultic,afterall u werent dragged into it,or dem wan force u 2 join dem? try Valium,if u cant stand Eyo ok?
?
Do christians tell you to stay in your house and not come out? Do they restrict your movements by telling you that only men or women are allowed to come out? There is no church I know that shuts my street down and I have a church 3 buildings away from me. Let them scream and what not. Like I said - it's a personal thing. I think these groups are occultic because that is what I believe. If anyone thinks Christianity is occultic, good luck to them. As long as they don't disturb me with that idea, i'm fine with it. I won't force my religion on anyone, and no one should do the same to me.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by wirinet(m): 6:44pm On Apr 26, 2009
Moonstone:

The keyword here is was, meaning it is not being practiced anymore, and besides it was only a few tribes on the Niger Delta that practiced killing of twins and not the whole Nigerian tribes.

Offering of once's son as a sacrifice to show obiedience to God was once a part of Jewish culture.
Burning of once biggest farm animal and crops was once a part of Jewish culture.
Burning of witches and heretics( any saying against church doctrines) was once a part of European culture.
Covering once's self with spiritual blood of god's only begotten son, spilt over 2000 yrs ago is still part of christian culture. ( I can stand blood - spiritual or otherwise)

So why do you not harp on these practices but just your own native cultural practices.

Moonstone:

There should be freedom of movement. When someone puts me under house arrest to perform their rituals, I have a problem with it. Besides, Christians don't scare me with any masquerades or any crazy incantations. They speak english or words that I can understand and they don't shut down my streets and ask me to stay in till they do things.

You are very economical with the truth here. Eyo festival celebrations do not keep you under house arrest.
You do not shout freedom of movement when christian block our roads and expressway when you have your crusades.
You do not shout freedom of sanity when you people engage in shouting tournaments every friday in the name of night vigils.
When you people disturbs and distrupts other people's lives, you feel it is an injunction from God. But when others carry out cultural practices you do not approve of, you "shout freedom of movement".
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by redsun(m): 6:46pm On Apr 26, 2009
Christians tongues speaking is not in anyway different from babalawo's incantations,both invokes the spirit world for one reason or the other,the only difference is that christianity is a whiteman's concept,while babalawo is an african concept and like every other thing,whitty,always seems to be the best.

I am the light,the truth and the way,every other thing is false.For once,try and turn the coin the other way round and feel the freedom and authority in the statement
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by blacksta(m): 6:50pm On Apr 26, 2009
you people are talking or fighting about culture this culture that .  When Elections are being rigged left right and center under our nose.   This thread is a joke

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Food For Thoughts On The Akwa Ibom Stadium / EFCC Wades In As MMM Freezes The Accounts Of Subscribers / This Is Not Dubai, China, UK Or US, This Is Ebonyi State The New Dubai Of Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.