Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,918 members, 7,802,984 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

Are Igbos Slaves To Money? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Igbos Slaves To Money? (1808 Views)

Opinion Poll: Are Igbos And Igbo Towns Complying With The Sit-at-home Order / Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy / Ikwerres Are Igbos!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Igbos Slaves To Money? by blackpanda: 4:05pm On Oct 14, 2015
Igbos are truly in a class of their own... Excerpts from Daniel Adugbo

Ever wondered what the word “Igbo” means or its etymology? Some Igbos for want of an authentic historical record place their origin as part of the lost tribe of Israel while others see themselves as descendants of the Jews , a few allude themselves to The Chinese of the African race. Rev. Father Emmanuel Ede in his book Towards an Igbo Metaphysics notes that “ethnologically the Igbo are an ancient people with a copious supply of versatile common sense and unique capacity for improvisation”. Scholars who have attempted unraveling the contentious issue of who really the Igbos are conclude that the term Igbo has shown itself to be chameleonic, changing its meaning in time and political climate. Irrespective of this, Igbo arguably means “I go before others” or simply “I before others”.
Ever had a deal with a typical Igbo man whether business or anything? Beside being dynamic, republican and audacious, he is even more individualistic, opportunistic, monopolistic, egoistic, self-enthused, self-indulgent, self-centred, self-opinionated and above all obstinate and would not like anything to obstruct his interest especially when it concerns money and accumulation of wealth. Those familiar with the literary concept that a character is the noise of his name, meaning that the name given to a character in a work of art coupled with a number of influence e.g environment determine largely his behavior or life disposition. Therefore expect not a character like Okonkwo or Aguiyi to be a fool or coward because the name carries with it a rhythm of agility and fearlessness. Likewise the money, money characteristic of Igbo is a natural consequence of the name ‘Igbo’. Wherever money is found expect an Igbo man to be there even in the oddest places of the world say Malta, Taipei, Kyrgyzstan, Comoros, Haiti, Bangladesh, Burundi etc, wherever man can live and survive an Igbo man is always there .He is right there on the high seas doing business , either smuggling or adding one plus one to become three.
          Brother-in the-Lord or sister-in-the-Lord, or friendship matters nothing to an Igbo man when it comes to business and money. They are everywhere, there is no market you will not find them: Alaba, Oshodi, Onitsha, Kano, Abuja , the world over. They have the highest number of shops and market stalls in every state capital. They own and run 90% of super markets, tire shops, motorcycle spare parts, retail outlets, building materials both imported and locally made in Nigeria-the list is endless. But what is more alarming is the fetish and aggressive means by which they pursue this money. Recently I entreated a fellow igbo neighbor and a church brethren to help me purchase a laptop since that was his line of business and for sake of trust and safety. To my chagrin my “brother” not only bought a substandard and outdated P3 worth less than I paid for but also ripped me of N15, 000. His calculations were that I knew nothing about computer systems. Similarly a cousin of mine once fell victim of the antics of a fellow Igbo. The usual practice is for an apprentice to be remunerated or settled by his masters after the years of apprenticeship. Only three days to the end of his apprenticeship, his master leveled series of allegation of theft against this young man and subsequently didn’t settle my cousin.
To the Igbo man it is no money no friendship, no money no business. I also discovered that the problem is not only domestic but also international. A number of prominent Igbo men have brought the name Igbo to disrepute for money. Recall the money game between Victor Umeh and Chekwas Okorie both of APGA? Ever wondered why over 50 candidates in the PDP signified interet in being governor of Anambra state in the 2007 elections? Is that possible in the North or West? Surely, “I before others”.
Notice the massive graft and general looting among Igbo governors and local administrators in all Igbo states? The provocative statistics is there to show of Igbo youth who drop out of school in quest for money. In fact Prince Morocco Maduka’s hit ‘’Ego- Money Palava” captures the whole essence of the existence of a typical Igbo man. “Money is his beauty, his house is fine it is money, his wife is beautiful it is money, his car is big it is money”, Therefore he must strive hard to acquire this money by whichever means possible if he is not be labeled a weakling or coward among his peers. A colleague once submitted controversially that why Igbos dominate the catholic church more than the Pentecostal churches is because their sermons emphasize more on riches and material acquisition more than heavenly concerns which is characteristic of some Pentecostal assemblies where Igbos are “obviously unpopular”. 
However are all Igbos money mongers? Though it may be faulty logic to hold all responsible for the sins of one but is there really a difference between the left ear of a rabbit and the right ear of the same rabbit? Undoubtedly an agama lizard in the village will always remain an agama lizard in town?
To be continued………..

http://adugbodaniel..com.ng/2012/08/igbos-and-love-of-money.html?m=1
Re: Are Igbos Slaves To Money? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 14, 2015
this is an insult to yhe entire igbo clan angry
Re: Are Igbos Slaves To Money? by hopeforcharles(m): 4:54pm On Oct 14, 2015
Sometimes i wonder and shudder at the level of hate and insult you people throw at the igbos, it mavels me, such hatred,
the way you concluded to me its a waste of time to attempt to trade words with you because its clear that your hatred against the igbo will be your doom and consume you.
The funniest part is that the Igbo Nation keeps growing and waxing stronger,
these are the reasons why i want Nigeria to divide and let the Igbos go and then you all will realise that we are the people who has kept the country running.
Re: Are Igbos Slaves To Money? by bigfrancis21: 4:56pm On Oct 14, 2015
As an Igbo born and raised in Igboland, yes there is a tendency amongst business-minded Igbos to 'make profit' off other Igbo people. The Igbos do it to not only outsiders but to themselves as well. This is seen as capitalism where people try to maximize their own gains. In fact, as an individual living in Igboland, you have to be very smart at all times to prevent being outwitted by another person. I think the capitalism mentality is greatest in the Imo and Abia regions, and also in Onitsha (regions where you have great economic activities taking place).
Re: Are Igbos Slaves To Money? by bigfrancis21: 4:58pm On Oct 14, 2015
hopeforcharles:
Sometimes i wonder and shudder at the level of hate and insult you people throw at the igbos, it mavels me, such hatred,
the way you concluded to me its a waste of time to attempt to trade words with you because its clear that your hatred against the igbo will be your doom and consume you.
The funniest part is that the Igbo Nation keeps growing and waxing stronger,
these are the reasons why i want Nigeria to divide and let the Igbos go and then you all will realise that we are the people who has kept the country running.

I wouldn't classify the OP's post as 'hate'. In fact, he/she raised valid points. This issue is a usual product of a capitalist society (present in America too but deeply embedded in the system of things) and I think it is an issue facing the Igbo nation that we need to embrace and talk about. Acting like it doesn't exist does not help matters.

1 Like

Re: Are Igbos Slaves To Money? by bokohalal(m): 8:25pm On Oct 14, 2015
IGBO (I Go Before Others ) is derived from English. How can such a coinage be the etymology of the word IGBO?

1 Like

Re: Are Igbos Slaves To Money? by wealthtemple(m): 9:35pm On Jan 23, 2017
call and whatsapp me on 08080909706. email: babawealth9@gmail.com fo spiritual assistance, like money invocation, love spells political power, protections, fruit of the womb, and spiritual powers , power to move your church, commanding tone and much more.

(1) (Reply)

The Obatala Towns Of Igbo Land And Yoruba Land - Igbodefender.com / Photo:- Nigerian Bride Shows Up N.aked In Public For Her Traditional Marriage / TRIBUTE TO OGUN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.