Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,588 members, 7,809,128 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:24 AM

Going Back To My Parent's After POP - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Going Back To My Parent's After POP (37256 Views)

Corp Member Found Snake In His Room After POP In Kaduna / 6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. / NYSC Leave, Is It Before POP Or After POP? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going Back To My Parent's After POP by apprentist(m): 7:03am On Oct 15, 2015
Going back to my Father's House and Mummy's Pot after my service Year.

Sincerely, I've never stopped giving this a thought since I left home for service.
I have huge plans for my service year- Things I look forward to achieve, degrees, skills, contacts and so on. But above all, I look forward to starting life after my service year.
Now, this decision as we all know isn't one that comes on a platter. My reason for saying this goes thus:
1. To afford an apartment will require rentage and maintenance,
2. I'll have to earn to survive,
3. The Societal system doesn't trow jobs at your lap imidiately after service. Just to mention a few.

Some of you here on NL have been through this stage of life already and gracefully sufficed through.
What was your experience like and how did you finally get on your feet?
Do you subscribe to going back to my parent's after service?
Did you have to stay at your parent's while starting life outside?
What were the things you did during your service year that helped you in this area at the long run?

Opinions and Experiances would be grately appreciated.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 15, 2015
bro nothing wrong with that,everyone has a starting point...u should be glad u have somewhere to go to

83 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Gme01(m): 7:18am On Oct 15, 2015
Dude, all the very best. Different advices will flood your post.. But my own 2 cent-
1- God first. He'll always sort you out. Trust him.
2- yes, you can go to your parents. It helps to remove some pressure while you sort ur self and find your footing. No acute pressure of what to eat, utility bills etc. Squatting with with friend is never like it.
3- make your plans whole there. Don't plan to stay there to long. However, man proporipo, God disproporipo grin

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by apprentist(m): 7:22am On Oct 15, 2015
kallmemrB:
bro nothing wrong with that,everyone has a starting point...u should be glad u have somewhere to go to

No doubt. But then what'll be the difference between me and a Jambite speaking admission? Just wondering.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by ehix89(m): 8:12am On Oct 15, 2015
Just the phase i'm in ryt nau,very tough phase but it gvs u a great sense of responsibility, I cldnt imagine goin bck home after my service year,,,1st tin I did was to get an accommodation, hopefully the lines r beginnin to fall in its ryt places,,,,,my candid advise,plz dnt return home u might be depressed most times.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by jazinogold(m): 8:33am On Oct 15, 2015
hmmm

op u fit gatecrash the ministerial screening! u mite be lucky to take a bow and leavegrin

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by tobe4real(m): 8:55am On Oct 15, 2015
Oga don't try it..i've done it and regretted it.ur parents can even be telling u to come home but pls don't go..well it depends on where u are,if it's a safe environment try to get a teaching job or just something small for the time being while u still apply for better jobs and stuff..dont leave where u are until u are sure of a better stuff in the state where ur parents are.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 15, 2015
A stage I'm in now, realy depressing when no jobs are quick to come or business.
Bro if your parents reside in a state (like Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Rivers etc) that has more job/business prospects than where you are now or plan on staying (economically less viable states) there is nothing wrong in going back to them as far as you don't get to relax on your finding something doing. Besides it can help to elongate your NYSC savings which can come in handy when you finaly find something doing and need to relocate, shuttle to work, move around for business, get work clothes etc.
That haven been said it would have been better to advice not going back to your Parents if you crave for independence but seriously the economy ain't smilling at that.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Squad4(m): 9:01am On Oct 15, 2015
Go home to see them and relax a bit, then get a move on. Seek out opportunities try to get your first job, the pay is not important at this point...one thing i can advise is to find a private company that are into a field you have interest, offer to work free that you just need the experience, be passionate about your proposal. Trust me you will get in they would be forced to give you a stipend for transport and then work diligently, if something comes out, you will be the first person on the list to be considered and at the same time, your CV will read you are currently employed and in a good industry which will help you with other job applications.

All the best bro! Above all watch and PRAY!!!

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by chyna4luv: 9:02am On Oct 15, 2015
apprentist:

No doubt. But then what'll be the difference between me and a Jambite speaking admission? Just wondering.

Hi. This is medicine after death. If you had these thoughts before you collected your call up letter, you won't bother yourself because the plan would have set itself.

I would advise you go back to your parent house and plan afresh. I am quite sure you saved some money during your service year, you can hire a small space(shop) in a local area, do business like charging of phones, selling recharge vouchers, registering WAEC, JAMB for students, groceries etc. This was what I did for two years before I got my first job that pays between 75-80k/month though contract anyway.
NOTE: If you have pride, you won't be able to do the business because its a business that requires you to interact with more of kids, get insulted etc. My customers latter knew that I am a graduate when they saw me in clean suit, tie, shoes going to work then respect came. Goodluck.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Umunede(m): 9:33am On Oct 15, 2015
Exactly what happened to me some years ago when I was going for NYSC in Osun state. I am very happy today that I made that decision not to go back to my Parent. That is what changed my life. That singular decision is one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. Below are things I did
Burn the bridge. When I was leaving for NYSC, I told my Parent point blank that I am not coming back to stay with them again. I will only visit them to greet them. They were shocked. They were thinking I was playing. Guess what, that is exactly what happened. I hated going back to them. I am the first born. they have trained me through University. why should I go back to them? so first, hate going back. That is what drove me to work out my life. I never regretted it.
Secondly, know that the good job may not come immediately after service. The question then is what will I be doing to keep me going after NYSC since I will going back to my Parents? Right from the first day, I stepped into Osun state for NYSC, I stopped thinking of NYSC. The only thing in my mind is after NYSC, what will I be doing. In the camp, I was asking questions. You have a talent. I love teaching. The day I left camp, I approached many JAMB/GCE lesson centres that same day by just asking people. Because something is in my mind. I am not going back. I must get something to be doing even after NYSC before the big job will come.
SAVE SAVE SAVE. Our allawe then was 6500 and later increased to 7500. I was saving. You must save every month from your allawe. Don't blow everything. Be prudent. Those savings will help you later.
Prepare for tests and interview. Buy aptitude test and interview books, GMAT. Read wide. Develop yourself.
Start applying for jobs from day one. Tuesday and Thursday Guardian was my friend. I don't have money to buy the newspapers as corper. I visit the local vendor as early as 6am to 7am every Tuesday and Thursday. I will give him 10 or 20 naira to scan through the newspaper before the buyers will start coming. I go with my pen and paper to write down vacancies. later, the vendor became my friend, he sometimes give me the newspaper to scan for free. I remember then, he will tell me, "no dirty am oo", dem de come buy am. I will say Oga, I hear. Most young people nowadays are very lazy. Nothing good comes easy. You have to work out your life. It is through this guy's newspaper I landed the good job I was looking for. Nobody helped me. My friends mocked me then, that I an SAN(senior applicant of Nigeria). I told them I am M-SAN(most senior applicant of Nigeria). Be applying, be writing test and be attending interview. You are getting experience.
Start little. Don't go for a costly well furnished accommodation. They gave me accommodation where I did my service. But from day one, I was asking around where I could get cheap accommodation where I will stay after my service. Eventually, I was able to get a good cheap one. If you are batch B for example, there will be some batch A corp members that their rent runs beyond their service period and they want to leave immediately. You can negotiate with them. That is how I got a good one
Above all, be prayerful. Bros, you need God to help you.
Doing all these, barely 3 months after my service, I got the lucrative job I was looking for. Today when, I look back, I feel happy and fulfilled not to have gone back. If I had gone back, I will not struggle the way I did and they will be feeding me 3 times a day. Maybe, I wouldn't have been here.

223 Likes 43 Shares

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 15, 2015
apprentist:

ur qualification,experience and maturity..thats the diff

8 Likes

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by mjizzie(m): 9:56am On Oct 15, 2015
Umunede:
Exactly what happened to me some years ago when I was going for NYSC in Osun state. I am very happy today that I made that decision not to go back to my Parent. That is what changed my life. That singular decision is one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. Below are things I did
Burn the bridge. When I was leaving for NYSC, I told my Parent point blank that I am not coming back to stay with them again. I will only visit them to greet them. They were shocked. They were thinking I was playing. Guess what, that is exactly what happened. I hated going back to them. I am the first born. they have trained me through University. why should I go back to them? so first, hate going back. That is what drove me to work out my life. I never regretted it.
Secondly, know that the good job may not come immediately after service. The question then is what will I be doing to keep me going after NYSC since I will going back to my Parents? Right from the first day, I stepped into Osun state for NYSC, I stopped thinking of NYSC. The only thing in my mind is after NYSC, what will I be doing. In the camp, I was asking questions. You have a talent. I love teaching. The day I left camp, I approached many JAMB/GCE lesson centres that same day by just asking people. Because something is in my mind. I am not going back. I must get something to be doing even after NYSC before the big job will come.
SAVE SAVE SAVE. Our allawe then was 6500 and later increased to 7500. I was saving. You must save every month from your allawe. Don't blow everything. Be prudent. Those savings will help you later.
Prepare for tests and interview. Buy aptitude test and interview books, GMAT. Read wide. Develop yourself.
Start applying for jobs from day one. Tuesday and Thursday Guardian was my friend. I don't have money to buy the newspapers as corper. I visit the local vendor as early as 6am to 7am every Tuesday and Thursday. I will give him 10 or 20 naira to scan through the newspaper before the buyers will start coming. I go with my pen and paper to write down vacancies. later, the vendor became my friend, he sometimes give me the newspaper to scan for free. I remember then, he will tell me, "no dirty am oo", dem de come buy am. I will say Oga, I hear. Most young people nowadays are very lazy. Nothing good comes easy. You have to work out your life. It is through this guy's newspaper I landed the good job I was looking for. Nobody helped me. My friends mocked me then, that I an SAN(senior applicant of Nigeria). I told them I am M-SAN(most senior applicant of Nigeria). Be applying, be writing test and be attending interview. You are getting experience.
Start little. Don't go for a costly well furnished accommodation. They gave me accommodation where I did my service. But from day one, I was asking around where I could get cheap accommodation where I will stay after my service. Eventually, I was able to get a good cheap one. If you are batch B for example, there will be some batch A corp members that their rent runs beyond their service period and they want to leave immediately. You can negotiate with them. That is how I got a good one
Doing all these, barely 3 months after my service, I got the lucrative job I was looking for. Today when, I look back, I feel happy and fulfilled not to have gone back. If I had gone back, I will not struggle the way I did and they will be feeding me 3 times a day. Maybe, I wouldn't have been here.
Thanks for this little piece of info , this is good for those of us going for the next batch of the programme and this is something lyk I av in plan..

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by ALISMILE(m): 11:52am On Oct 15, 2015
Goin back home to daddy and mummy after service was the worse nightmare I had to put up wit during my service year! I did evrytin witin my power to avoid that! Unfortunately, it happened!I had no choice but to put up wit it, I endured it and struggled to get out of it, and by the grace of God I did! Its the worst that can happen to a guy old enough to be on his own! That is y weneva I see Corpers I feel for them because I knw wat some of them re goin tru! U need to pray hard man!

21 Likes

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by coolcharm(m): 12:08pm On Oct 15, 2015
It's ok to go back to your parents after POP. What is wrong is remaining (or staying) there.

I strongly believe that every man (irrespective of gender) must take an active step in shaping their lives.

The three points you mentioned; rent, upkeep allowance and the social system aren't enough to be used as an excuse to get complacent.

Here is my candid advice to you.

1. First of all discover your self and set tangible goals. - what will you be doing while at home? What do you really want for yourself? What direction do you want to steer your life? When do you plan to leave your parents house? You don't need money to answer all these questions I guess.

Everything might not go according to plan, but the most important thing is to have a plan.

2. Move close to opportunities. If your parents aren't living in a place that gives you an advantage to opportunities by proximity, then the earlier you migrate the better for you. Look for relatives who you can visit and spend some time with in cities and towns across the nation. You never know where something good will come out from.

3. Learn or improve on a skill. If you have some skills at the moment, take some time to improve and perfect them over the next few months. If you haven't developed any, nw is the best time to begin.

The bottom line is... have something you are good at. That will be the basis on which most people would likely relate with you. You must not be a liability under any circurmstance.

Your skills might be what will open the ultimate door for you. You never can tell.

4. Network. Yes, network! Meet new people at every slight opportunity you have. In church, fairs, training and development meetings, interracive forums and what have you.

Now, your attendance is not as important as how you introduce yourself. When you meet people, introduce yourself by your skills, and what you can do and not as a graduate seeking employment. People will naturally avoid you if the feel you will become one added liability to them, but tend to draw close if the find the relationship to be mutually beneficial.

5. Maintain a positive attitude. It doesn't matter if you get a job or something Doing next week or next month. It is very important to be positive, stay hopeful, wear a smile (always) and try to be happy.

Infact, your positive attitude would open any door for you even before your credentials or certificates would.

What's more? Always appear neat, tact and bold.

My 2cent

33 Likes

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by JaypeeAnics(m): 12:08pm On Oct 15, 2015
OK....I made front page.
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by omusiliyu(m): 12:09pm On Oct 15, 2015
The present situation of the country isn't supportive at all.

1 Like

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by chynergy1(m): 12:09pm On Oct 15, 2015
that was my nightmare during the POP 8 years ago.
while others were jumping up and rejoicing, i was meditating undecided
but i had no option then, than to go back and start from the family house.

today it s differnt story.
i ve finally settled down. a business, my own family - 3 kids and counting .
u just need to start somewhere, that s it. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

16 Likes

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by ebengems(m): 12:09pm On Oct 15, 2015
get a skill and any other thing will fall in...

The AutoCAD video tutorial promo is over, thank you all that participated. you can still get it at the same promo price on this window period before weekend from our konga store. place your order now before weekend. check my profile picture and signature for more information!
we deliver nationwide

1 Like

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Sunnycliff(m): 12:10pm On Oct 15, 2015
If you can, please go back to your parents. While you are there, do not feel at ease. Develop a skill, learn a trade, surf the net for vacancies, read all available information on your career, build good network of friends and if you need counsel ask your parents and trust God while waiting for the better offer.

Unless you made enough savings above 100k in your service year which is often not easy.

2 Likes

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Dindondin(m): 12:10pm On Oct 15, 2015
Happy pop to batch c kopas.
learnt u guys are the last bullet of batch c

1 Like

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Daniel058(m): 12:10pm On Oct 15, 2015
cry lOlHmmmm things dey happen for this world ooooooooooooooo. . If you see wetin some Corp members [Female]] dey do, Ah some guys go swear never to marry a graduate..

Parents pray for your children!!

Prostitution in the name of having fun. . Ohhh

I no sure say I go marry ooooooooooooooo

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by activelyA(f): 12:10pm On Oct 15, 2015
Going for the next batch...
I am a lady but this is my greatest fear... embarassed

In fact, I MUST NOT RETURN...

Thanks...this is really a great motivation for me
Umunede:

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by ogawisdom(m): 12:11pm On Oct 15, 2015
undecided u r welcomed to d most difficult stage in the life of a naija based young man. Very soon u will realize dt kaki no b leather angry

Tnk God for ur parents dt will give u free food n shelter n nairaland for free humor tongue enjoy ur life as an applicant

1 Like

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Nobody: 12:11pm On Oct 15, 2015
hh
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by malikisah: 12:11pm On Oct 15, 2015
congrats to you all, may you be useful to yourself, family and the nation as a whole

4 Likes

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Nobody: 12:11pm On Oct 15, 2015
More reason for you to buckle up and thinkof what you can do ursf aside searching for jobs up d street

1 Like

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by david22uu(m): 12:12pm On Oct 15, 2015
kk
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by crest2j(m): 12:13pm On Oct 15, 2015
luk up to God. he will direct ur path for u.

2 Likes

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by sirpdep(m): 12:14pm On Oct 15, 2015
How can u go back to ur parents? Just come back to me now and u will hav a 9ice welcome

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Corps Member Dies At Enugu Orientation Camp / You Don’t Apply For Exemption Certificate, Says Ex-nysc Director / Female Ex-Corpers Flaunt Their NYSC Certificates (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.