Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,558 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:25 PM

Repairing A Flash Drive - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Repairing A Flash Drive (2805 Views)

How To Install Windows From A Flash Drive Or Memory Card / Repairing My Laptop / Why Can't A Flash Drive Have The Storage Capacity Written On It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Repairing A Flash Drive by jydoh(m): 6:42pm On Oct 10, 2006
can any1 tell me if it is possible to repair a virus infected flashdrive. i have lost two flashdrives to trojans & worms.both infected from a business centre. the latest loss being today. cuz, i've tried to format and scan with antivirus but yet it does not work.
the problem actually is : i formatted it, scanned with AVG 7.1 August 2006 update, Avast v4.0 proffesional 2006 and also mcaffee 2006. they all claimed not 2 detect a vitus excpt avg7. that detected a worm and repaired it.

But after this, if i store application programs (setup) in the flash drive it sees it but if i store a file e.g.a Msword doc, it only displays zeroes and at this same time increases the number of pages automatically. Also my files stilll maintain there sizes but contain no content.

plzzzzzzzzzz can i repair a flashdrive in another way and still recover my files
Re: Repairing A Flash Drive by kariana(m): 7:24pm On Oct 10, 2006
jydoh
I'm having similar problem with my flash drive and i have abandon it for a long time now. Plz someone should help , if there is any remedy for it.
Re: Repairing A Flash Drive by pymexys(f): 8:46pm On Oct 10, 2006
hope this may b of some help,i've not/never tried it myself

Browse | Search | About | Login

Fixing USB flash pen drives
FAQ: Fixing USB flash pen drives
Title: Fixing USB flash pen drives
Author: smiler2505
Views: 3202
Category: Hardware
Last Modified: 23/02/2006 03:10:32

Contents:

First of all, I'm assuming that the drive is appearing, be it in the small icon at the bottom, 'Windows has found new hardware', My Computer, or Device manager, under USB controller(s) (usually as a USB Mass Storage Device). If there's no sign of it appearing, check it's not the USB port that is at fault. Plug it in to a different one! Ideally, this port should be on a seperate usb controller (check: control panel -> device manager -> USB controller(s) - should have more than one entry under USB contoller). If it's still not working, you could try another computer. After this, with no registring of the drive, bin it.

So you know it's working, but it won't work properly? If you aren't running Windows 2000 or later, you will need the device driver for your drive. Try Googling PRODUCT NAME OF DEVICE driver. If you don't know the product name, have a look where you bought it from. If you can't find a device driver however, you can't use your pen unless you upgrade your OS.

It's appearing in the OS, and installs the drivers, but you can't access it? Run ScanDisk, and see if any errors come up. It will try and fix any, but if there is a lot of damage to the disk, you are going to have to get what data you can, and proceed; if the following steps don't work, your pen is b0rked I'm afraid.

Try a format from My Computer. If it doesn't get very far, the volume is damaged. However, if it does work, you will probably want your data back. I find PC Inspector File Recovery good, it gives all the data it can, including file names etc, and is my favourite price - free! There are of course alternatives, again, Google is your friend, Try 'freeware data recovery utilities'.

The volume doesn't work? In adminstritave tools, there is something called computer management. Click this, and go to Disk Management. The drive you want should be there, and by right clicking, you should be able to write a new partition. Do this, and you should have a working drive again! All you need to do is restore data (see previos paragraph), and you are a-ok! Any problems? Drop me a PM on PCFF, or email me at smiler2505@fsmail.net
Re: Repairing A Flash Drive by lovaboi: 5:27am On Oct 11, 2006
A pal makes a livin outta dat,i mean fixin flash,mp3z,etc.
Re: Repairing A Flash Drive by sunnykiss(m): 10:36am On Dec 21, 2009
Ehen! Its so funny to repair flash drive with virus ,guy no plug am into any pc o make u no destroy people pc o,SMASH YOUR FLASH AND DUSTBIN AM.BUY A NEW ONE O,E NO COST
Re: Repairing A Flash Drive by DualCore1: 11:39am On Dec 21, 2009
Dude u're so bored. tongue
Thread of 2k6! undecided

(1) (Reply)

Mtn 24 Hours Plan (500 Naira) = 4gb / I Need Hp Spectre X360 Or Dell Xps 13 Or Lenovo Yoga 900 Asap / Laptop Hardware Repairs & Maintenance Training In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.