Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,923 members, 7,802,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:00 AM

8 People Drown In River Niger - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 8 People Drown In River Niger (18553 Views)

2 SS2 Students Drown In A River In Akwa Ibom (Graphic Photos) / 15 Kebbi Persons Drown In River Niger / Ugandan Man Watches Woman Drown Because No One To Help Him Hold His Phones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 People Drown In River Niger by ceometromedia: 10:55am On Oct 16, 2015
… Monarch calls for buffer dam

From Paul Osuyi, Asaba

About eight persons including a pregnant woman and seven children are feared dead as they reportedly drowned in the River Niger following the rise in the level of water due to incessant rainfall and opening of the Lagdo Dam in Cameroun.

The victims, who were said to be missing since the current flood ravaging parts of Delta State started, were said to be natives of Utchi, a community along the bank of the Niger in Ndokwa East Local Government Area of the state.

The children were said to be returning from school while the pregnant woman was returning from Anambra State when they were caught by a storm, which threw them into the river where they reportedly drowned.

Chairman of the Ndokwa East council area, Mrs. Nkechi Chukwurah, said corpses of the victims were yet to be found.
Speaking in Asaba yesterday on the sidelines of a stakeholders’ meeting on the ravaging flood, Chukwurah lamented the impact of the flood in the locality, adding that two persons have also died.

She told newsmen that despite initial hesitation from residents in flood-prone communities to move to the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp at Ashaka, about 170 persons have reported at the camp as the water level keeps rising.

“As at this morning, we have recorded about 170 persons at the camp. They said the water stood still at the Niger and was now flowing into the communities thereby raising the volume in the communities, and I think that is the reason they are coming out on their own.
“They are calling us to come back and pick them but we do not have the resources to do that because we actually wasted money initially to move around urging them to come out without much success,” she said.

Earlier, at the stakeholders’ meeting, the Deputy Governor, Kingsley Otuaro, who doubles as the state chairman of the flood management committee, said a lot had been done to cushion the effect of the flood on victims.

One of the monarchs who spoke during the meeting, Emmanuel Delekpe, traditional ruler of Udu Kingdom, lamented failure of the Federal Government to build buffer dams to take the excess water from the Camerounian dam.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/flood-pregnant-woman-7-children-drown-in-delta/
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by EgusiSoup: 10:56am On Oct 16, 2015
FIRST TO COMMENT

..And the dullard promise us security of life and property sad

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by MosakuAW(m): 10:58am On Oct 16, 2015
May they all rest in peace.
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by DuchessLily(f): 11:04am On Oct 16, 2015
Hmmm embarassed ....RIP
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 16, 2015
East of Niger sef shocked angry
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by Aminat508(f): 11:37am On Oct 16, 2015
shocked

RIP
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by DONSMITH123(m): 11:38am On Oct 16, 2015
RIP

1 Like

Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by Richie0974: 11:38am On Oct 16, 2015
RIP to them
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by helphelp: 11:38am On Oct 16, 2015
Jesu oba
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by siraj1402(m): 11:38am On Oct 16, 2015
EgusiSoup:
And the dullard promise us security of life and property sad
Rara,ask him to be monitoring your background self.Olodo

5 Likes

Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by sigiyaya(m): 11:39am On Oct 16, 2015
vbcv
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by ZYZZA: 11:39am On Oct 16, 2015
So so sad RIP to the dead
Is it just me but since APC got into power it just bad news I see on line
#ihateapc #broomwavingdemons *irefusetobeazombie

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by EbirichBen(m): 11:40am On Oct 16, 2015
Sorry to the Dead. Rip to the Dead.

Father guide my Going out and Coming in......Amen.
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by eddyslim(m): 11:40am On Oct 16, 2015
Blame it on daura dullaard's body odour.

2 Likes

Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by odukoyayinka(m): 11:42am On Oct 16, 2015
Zyzza hw is t apc's fault?abeg solution z d best thing right nw nt pointn ur unecessary fingers @anyone...apc ko fi d fi ni
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by excellentwork: 11:42am On Oct 16, 2015
GOD WILL HELP US

Get your Electric Lunch Box And Toothpaste Dispenser here, Visit Signature below

1 Like

Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by boolet: 11:47am On Oct 16, 2015
Sad story...
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by Opinedecandid(m): 11:47am On Oct 16, 2015
Oh my God.

Save us, Lord.

May their soul rest in peace.
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by chesterlee(m): 11:50am On Oct 16, 2015
Blame it on the body odour of the Saint!

RIP to the dead

1 Like

Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by raymondzack: 11:52am On Oct 16, 2015
RIP to the dead

Thank

God

No

GEJ to blame again
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by felajazz(m): 11:52am On Oct 16, 2015
As dis year runnin 2 an end, U n I wil not end our Life. Amen
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by fascowilly(m): 12:05pm On Oct 16, 2015
felajazz:
As dis year runnin 2 an end, U n I wil not end our Life. Amen
Amen, with our loved ones.
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by omoh50(m): 12:08pm On Oct 16, 2015
Hello all, I have Stocks of Quality Skmei Military Wrist Watch for sale Wholesale and retail.

Features:

- Dual Time Zone, Analogue Display and Digital Display

- Has Alarm for reminder/ wakeup sleep

- Digital Date Dislpay With Weekday in alphabet

- Stopwatch to keep track or make count/timing of any event

- Screen Light ON/OFF

- Quality Silicon/plastic Chain Band

- 50M Water Resistance

- 1 free Quality Leather wrist Band multi-colors

- 1 free Watch Case.

Quick Delievery to your door step nation wide.

Diffrent Colours bands

I have 2 Models to sell,
1. BoldStyle Skmei Dual Time Zone Military Watch (Silicone band) + 1 leather Band and watch case
Wholesale Price: N3,300, MOQ=5pcs
Retail Price: N4,000.

Only the Watch without leather Band and watch case:
Wholesale Price: N2,800, MOQ=5pcs
Retail Price: N3,600.

2. Skmei SupperMan Dual Time Zone Military Watch(Plastic Chain Band) + 1 leather Band and watch case

Wholesale Price: N3,200, MOQ=5pcs
Retail Price: N3,800.

Only the Watch without leather Band and watch case
Wholesale Price: N2,600, MOQ=5pcs
Retail Price: N3,400.

If you are interested, contact me, check my Signature and WhatsApp or call to discuss

Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by k1centy: 12:09pm On Oct 16, 2015
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by k1centy: 12:09pm On Oct 16, 2015
Holy F**k! Not again. R.I.P to the lost souls. Nairaland please give us good news every morning and let the bad news come at night nah. So that we can sleep it over. We are almost getting addicted to expecting bad news every hour bayii
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by mightyhaze: 12:10pm On Oct 16, 2015
Since dia bodies hav not been found yet,let's hope dey r still alive.

3 Likes

Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by engrjosefz(m): 12:19pm On Oct 16, 2015
ok

1 Like

Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by NotNairalandi(m): 12:25pm On Oct 16, 2015
If na Imsu or uni-port babes bi that now,they for don post their picture for facebook with somethings like this "Chilling things with mammy water" "point and kill fish on my mind now" "hanging out with rich pappy waters" grin
Re: 8 People Drown In River Niger by Beehshorp(m): 12:26pm On Oct 16, 2015
The body odour Daura President change crooner is busy appointing thieves as minister while he leaves d most important thing he needs to do which is security of lives nd properties.. We now av triple bomb blast each day..unending robbery.. Kidnapping and stories of mysterious death. There are hardly news of improvement and when I see one its how naira appreciated from 226 to 225.. Imagine!! 1 naira change.. We all av been scammed but never again will it happen..

Rip to the dead!!! Let's keep living wid d costly mistake we made by putting a slowpoke as president who hasn't achieved one thing since he assumed power except naming himself minister of petroleum...

GEJ am deeply sorry..

Nairaland keeps changing. "DULLARD" to President eheheheh every one now knows dat dullard is synonymous to president

(1) (2) (Reply)

Acquire A Tangible Skills/handwork Here And Become Your Own Boss This Year / I Don't Understand How To Make Or Reply Ppls Post / How Did You Discover Nairaland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.