Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,472 members, 7,781,371 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:21 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (321365 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (96) (Go Down)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:47pm On Oct 16, 2015
Good morning everyone, VisaOfficer has departed Nigeria but it is clear that there are still many questions so I will make an effort to continue answering your questions!

I am a U.S. Foreign Service Officer working at the U.S. Consulate in Lagos, Nigeria. Like all of the VOs in Lagos, I handle both Non-Immigrant (NIV) and Immigrant Visa (IV) interviews. The purpose of this thread is to provide a forum for your questions about immigrant visas. My colleagues and I will make every effort to answer all questions within two business days.

Please note that we cannot answer questions about specific cases, except as based on the information provided here in this discussion thread. Any responses in this forum are not to be taken as legally binding, as they will be based only on what you tell us in your questions, not on the information in any actual case. While we will attempt to explain U.S. immigration policies, any opinions expressed are the personal views of the writer, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government.

We may not be able to respond to every post in this thread, and we will not answer abusive posts. Also, please don't send me private messages -- I don't even read them. If you need personal attention, please send an e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov.

There is a separate thread for Non-Immigrant Visa Questions, also handled by U.S. Foreign Service Officers serving in Nigeria, at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . Please use this thread right here solely for questions about Immigrant Visas and Diversity Visas.

Regards,
LagosNIV

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bodescous: 12:55pm On Oct 16, 2015
LagosNIV:
Good morning everyone, VisaOfficer has departed Nigeria but it is clear that there are still many questions so I will make an effort to continue answering your questions!

I am a U.S. Foreign Service Officer working at the U.S. Consulate in Lagos, Nigeria. Like all of the VOs in Lagos, I handle both Non-Immigrant (NIV) and Immigrant Visa (IV) interviews. The purpose of this thread is to provide a forum for your questions about immigrant visas. My colleagues and I will make every effort to answer all questions within two business days.

Please note that we cannot answer questions about specific cases, except as based on the information provided here in this discussion thread. Any responses in this forum are not to be taken as legally binding, as they will be based only on what you tell us in your questions, not on the information in any actual case. While we will attempt to explain U.S. immigration policies, any opinions expressed are the personal views of the writer, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government.

We may not be able to respond to every post in this thread, and we will not answer abusive posts. Also, please don't send me private messages -- I don't even read them. If you need personal attention, please send an e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov.

There is a separate thread for Non-Immigrant Visa Questions, also handled by U.S. Foreign Service Officers serving in Nigeria, at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . Please use this thread right here solely for questions about Immigrant Visas and Diversity Visas.

Regards,
LagosNIV
Yaayyyyyy... I'm so happy having a new VO for d departed one. This forum has been so void over two weeks without a thread on immigrants visa.. The questions would be coming in a few moments.. We welcome you into the house our new VO and thanks for the time you will spare in answering our different and vast questions.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by enye2000: 12:56pm On Oct 16, 2015
wow...thanks for ur consideration
.it ve not been easy wtout v.o answering our questions

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by stevewale(m): 2:49pm On Oct 16, 2015
It's so great to have a new thread and a new officer to take over as promised by our dearest VO.

Welcome aboard sir/ma.

*** Following thread with keen interest ****
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 4:55pm On Oct 16, 2015
@LagosNIV

Thanks for restarting this thread.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 10:03pm On Oct 16, 2015
Permit me to be the first to ask a question please.

My wife's passport bears her second name as her first name and vice versa. Example; her visa application bears Cynthia Blessing Douglas whereas her passport bears Blessing Cynthia Douglas and I have already began her visa application. Please, will this affect her F2A visa processing and interview?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:47am On Oct 17, 2015
Please how many days those it takes from a case complete to get an interview at the Lagos consulate

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Gabbyking(m): 5:01pm On Oct 17, 2015
Wowza! Thank you so much VO for coming to our rescue once again. I keep coming here to check if new VO has arrived smiley. Here you are.

We really appreciate you knowing how important and beneficial this Forum is.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:57am On Oct 19, 2015
SirJeffry:
Permit me to be the first to ask a question please.

My wife's passport bears her second name as her first name and vice versa. Example; her visa application bears Cynthia Blessing Douglas whereas her passport bears Blessing Cynthia Douglas and I have already began her visa application. Please, will this affect her F2A visa processing and interview?

As long as we are able to verify that it is the same person (and it sounds like it is) then this will not be a problem; please note, however, that the visa we print will reflect the name as it appears in the passport.

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:59am On Oct 19, 2015
richie5655:
Please how many days those it takes from a case complete to get an interview at the Lagos consulate

I am not sure what you mean by "case complete." There are issues of priority dates, processing, etc. so it is not reasonable for me to try to estimate a date without a lot more information.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by slightlyMad(f): 10:36am On Oct 19, 2015
welcome to the new officer.
I have an approved F1 category petition which i approximate based on previous movements of my category that i still have 1 year and six months to go
this is a lot for me as i am 30+, i want to start having my kids.
i will like to have some rite performed, which i want done without putting me in the F3 category
can you please clarify what is regarded as marriage in the immigration context.

i am guessing a traditional introduction and engagement IS NOT marriage in your books.
so you can relate with what i am asking, the video below is that of a traditional engagement.

no exchange of rings or vows.
just the woman's family handing over their daughter to the man's family so they can proceed to marry her.

we may then put the marriage on hold for the 1.5 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXryrMB-gZU
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:11am On Oct 19, 2015
slightlyMad:
welcome to the new officer.
I have an approved F1 category petition which i approximate based on previous movements of my category that i still have 1 year and six months to go
this is a lot for me as i am 30+, i want to start having my kids.
i will like to have some rite performed, which i want done without putting me in the F3 category
can you please clarify what is regarded as marriage in the immigration context.

i am guessing a traditional introduction and engagement IS NOT marriage in your books.
so you can relate with what i am asking, the video below is that of a traditional engagement.

no exchange of rings or vows.
just the woman's family handing over their daughter to the man's family so they can proceed to marry her.

we may then put the marriage on hold for the 1.5 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXryrMB-gZU

For immigration purposes, exchanges of rings or vows is not what constitutes a marriage. We follow what is considered marriage under Nigerian law - so traditional marriage, i.e. introduction, engagement, and exchange of bride price does constitute marriage.

Even if you wait for the additional year and a half there can be other unexpected reasons why your application is delayed; we strongly suggest that you continue moving forward with your life. Not to mention the fact that if get married and adjust to an F3 as you've suggested, you would potentially make the transition easier for your future wife and children.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Gabbyking(m): 12:30pm On Oct 19, 2015
Dear VO,

I have a passport that will expire Aug 2016 and am at NVC Stage. Assuming my interview is by January or February. Do you think is right for me to get a new passport since it will be 6months or almost to the expiry date? Will it pose any program cos i have already submitted my passport Bio page to NVC?

Thank you for your anticipated response.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:46pm On Oct 19, 2015
Gabbyking:
Dear VO,

I have a passport that will expire Aug 2016 and am at NVC Stage. Assuming my interview is by January or February. Do you think is right for me to get a new passport since it will be 6months or almost to the expiry date? Will it pose any program cos i have already submitted my passport Bio page to NVC?

Thank you for your anticipated response.

It would be best to renew your passport before the interview if the timeline will be that close, especially since you might have an unexpected delay. This won't cause any problems at all, just attach your old passport to the new passport when you come in for your interview.

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by queenma35: 8:41pm On Oct 19, 2015
Hi I have 2 questions. I am a USC married to my husband who is Nigerian. In November we will celebrate 2 years of marriage. I filed a I-130 petition for my husband and my stepson who was added as a Derivative. During this process I was told that I could add my stepson to my husband I-130. Now that our case is in the NVC process and financial documents is reviewed. We are waiting on an interview date. I received a letter stating my Stepson does not qualify for Derivative Benefits. So now I filed a separate petition for my stepson and has been excepted to the USCI as of 10/14/2015. My question are as follow (1) Is there anyway my stepson petition can reach my husband petition. Waiting another 2 years or more is very sad to me. Also I have never did this process before and not knowing the in's and outs I reached out to the USCI service center and asked questions which I was told several times different answers but was a surged this was the correct way to file for my husband and stepson. (2) And if my stepson petition will not reach my husbands petition to travel together how long before a Visa expire . My husband and I agree my stepson will not be left behind we are a family and we will come together as one.

Thank You Queen

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:40pm On Oct 19, 2015
LagosNIV:

I am not sure what you mean by "case complete." There are issues of priority dates, processing, etc. so it is not reasonable for me to try to estimate a date without a lot more information.

I actually mean our documents are complete at the NVC, and now waiting to be scheduled for interview at the Lagos consulate.
How long does it take to get an interview from the moment my case had Actually been Complete
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Gabbyking(m): 11:09pm On Oct 19, 2015
It would be best to renew your passport before the interview if the timeline will be that close, especially since you might have an unexpected delay. This won't cause any problems at all, just attach your old passport to the new passport when you come in for your interview.
[color=#006600][/color]

Thank you VO for your kind response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:00am On Oct 20, 2015
queenma35:
Hi I have 2 questions. I am a USC married to my husband who is Nigerian. In November we will celebrate 2 years of marriage. I filed a I-130 petition for my husband and my stepson who was added as a Derivative. During this process I was told that I could add my stepson to my husband I-130. Now that our case is in the NVC process and financial documents is reviewed. We are waiting on an interview date. I received a letter stating my Stepson does not qualify for Derivative Benefits. So now I filed a separate petition for my stepson and has been excepted to the USCI as of 10/14/2015. My question are as follow (1) Is there anyway my stepson petition can reach my husband petition. Waiting another 2 years or more is very sad to me. Also I have never did this process before and not knowing the in's and outs I reached out to the USCI service center and asked questions which I was told several times different answers but was a surged this was the correct way to file for my husband and stepson. (2) And if my stepson petition will not reach my husbands petition to travel together how long before a Visa expire . My husband and I agree my stepson will not be left behind we are a family and we will come together as one.

Thank You Queen

I will start by saying that USCIS controls the immigrant visa petition process - we are simply reviewing the cases here but the final determination lays with them. That being said, your stepson is going to be petitioned under a different visa class and it will undoubtedly have a different wait times.

The visas, when printed, are valid for as long as the medical clearance was - which is usually six months from the time your medical clearance is granted.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:00am On Oct 20, 2015
richie5655:

I actually mean our documents are complete at the NVC, and now waiting to be scheduled for interview at the Lagos consulate.
How long does it take to get an interview from the moment my case had Actually been Complete

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for you. We schedule appointments as soon as possible but we won't even see your case until NVC boxes it up and sends it out here.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:01am On Oct 20, 2015
LagosNIV:

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for you. We schedule appointments as soon as possible but we won't even see your case until NVC boxes it up and sends it out here.
Okay. Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ahbaycity(m): 5:15pm On Oct 21, 2015
Hello VO
A F2B form was filed by my mother in law(a permanent resident/green card holder) for her daughter while she was still single(over 21) and was approved by USCIS last December 2014 who later sent it to nvc for further processing, we got married July 2013 and we are blessed with a daughter . we paid AOs fee and her own and also submitted all necessary document pertaining to it, NVC sent us a letter dated October 6, 2015 that they can't approve it because she is married, and further action has to be done by USCIS . please what is our chance or what can we do . please kindly advise us asap

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sakibuyomi: 7:44pm On Oct 21, 2015
I have a question about this b1/b2 visa. I am a 33 yrs old US Citizen and my boyfriend of 1 year is from nigeria.he is 36yrs old and we met here in the US on one of his visits. He currently has a b1/b2 visa that is valid until 2016 and visit's me in Texas often. We would like to get married here in the US during his next visit in December, he will be here for 3 weeks and will return to nigeria in January 2016. I know that it is ok for us to marry in US with his passport as ID as long as he intends to return to nigeria and not stay in US.

My question is, he was once married before and he has 3 kids but he is divourced now.
Can I go ahead with the marriage ? And after our marriage here in the US, can he decide to stay here while I file for him or must he return back to Nigeria ? If he falls out of status after or wedding with his b1b2 visa, could he be in problem even though I already file his petition ?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 21, 2015
Hello VO I have personal questions.

My mum is retired and in her mid fifties. I intend to move her to the US to stay. I will be buying a house for her to stay in the US. I have a very good business in Nigeria so affording the house comes easy for me. She can start up a business while in US to keep herself busy. She's on my company's payroll so she will always have money for her upkeep whether she does business or not. My questions are

1. Can she be granted 2 years non-immigrant visa based on the above mentioned points?
2. I will be visiting her from time to time. Can I apply for a 2 years multiple entry visa and be granted?
3. My younger brother can be free to move to the US with her to keep her company. Can he apply too for a Visa and be granted?

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ayoade0505: 11:27pm On Oct 21, 2015
this is a good news! the thread is alive again.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:58am On Oct 22, 2015
ahbaycity:
Hello VO
A F2B form was filed by my mother in law(a permanent resident/green card holder) for her daughter while she was still single(over 21) and was approved by USCIS last December 2014 who later sent it to nvc for further processing, we got married July 2013 and we are blessed with a daughter . we paid AOs fee and her own and also submitted all necessary document pertaining to it, NVC sent us a letter dated October 6, 2015 that they can't approve it because she is married, and further action has to be done by USCIS . please what is our chance or what can we do . please kindly advise us asap

Unfortunately there is no visa category for an adult married child of a legal permanent resident (LPR). Your mother in law can submit a petition for her daughter as an IR2 (child of a U.S. citizen) after/if she naturalizes as this category allows the beneficiary to be married.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:02am On Oct 22, 2015
sakibuyomi:
I have a question about this b1/b2 visa. I am a 33 yrs old US Citizen and my boyfriend of 1 year is from nigeria.he is 36yrs old and we met here in the US on one of his visits. He currently has a b1/b2 visa that is valid until 2016 and visit's me in Texas often. We would like to get married here in the US during his next visit in December, he will be here for 3 weeks and will return to nigeria in January 2016. I know that it is ok for us to marry in US with his passport as ID as long as he intends to return to nigeria and not stay in US.

My question is, he was once married before and he has 3 kids but he is divourced now.
Can I go ahead with the marriage ? And after our marriage here in the US, can he decide to stay here while I file for him or must he return back to Nigeria ? If he falls out of status after or wedding with his b1b2 visa, could he be in problem even though I already file his petition ?

If your boyfriend is legally divorced, then you can legally get married. You have to ensure that this complies with your local laws and you meet all of those requirements. There is no guarantee that he would be granted a B1/B2 visa and it's impossible to tell what the timelines for marriage and the duration of his stay would look like.

Furthermore, entering on a B1/B2 visa and adjusting status is technically an abuse of the system. This could cause processing delays down the road when attempting to naturalize. Most people who are intending to get married and want to do it the proper way would submit a K-1 petition for alien fiancé.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:04am On Oct 22, 2015
ilovelikes:
Hello VO I have personal questions.

My mum is retired and in her mid fifties. I intend to move her to the US to stay. I will be buying a house for her to stay in the US. I have a very good business in Nigeria so affording the house comes easy for me. She can start up a business while in US to keep herself busy. She's on my company's payroll so she will always have money for her upkeep whether she does business or not. My questions are

1. Can she be granted 2 years non-immigrant visa based on the above mentioned points?
2. I will be visiting her from time to time. Can I apply for a 2 years multiple entry visa and be granted?
3. My younger brother can be free to move to the US with her to keep her company. Can he apply too for a Visa and be granted?

Thanks

In order to immigrate to the U.S. (i.e. moving there to stay) you need an immigrant visa. Staying in the U.S. beyond 6 months on a B1/B2 tourist visa is illegal. She would not qualify for the non-immigrant visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 22, 2015
LagosNIV:

In order to immigrate to the U.S. (i.e. moving there to stay) you need an immigrant visa. Staying in the U.S. beyond 6 months on a B1/B2 tourist visa is illegal. She would not qualify for the non-immigrant visa.

Thanks for this clarification. So she needs to apply for an immigrant visa. I will rephrase my questions then.

1. Can she be granted 2 years immigrant visa based on the points I mentioned in my previous post?
3. My younger brother can be free to move to the US with her to keep her company. Can he apply too for an immigrant Visa and be granted?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ahbaycity(m): 8:31am On Oct 22, 2015
LagosNIV:

Unfortunately there is no visa category for an adult married child of a legal permanent resident (LPR). Your mother in law can submit a petition for her daughter as an IR2 (child of a U.S. citizen) after/if she naturalizes as this category allows the beneficiary to be married.
So what can one do in this case, my sister in law is a citizen, can she be substituted as the petitioner and my wife still retain the priority date of before, or are we going to start afresh here. Because my mother in law is in Nigeria right now. How can we go about it
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sakibuyomi: 9:39am On Oct 22, 2015
LagosNIV:

If your boyfriend is legally divorced, then you can legally get married. You have to ensure that this complies with your local laws and you meet all of those requirements. There is no guarantee that he would be granted a B1/B2 visa and it's impossible to tell what the timelines for marriage and the duration of his stay would look like.

Furthermore, entering on a B1/B2 visa and adjusting status is technically an abuse of the system. This could cause processing delays down the road when attempting to naturalize. Most people who are intending to get married and want to do it the proper way would submit a K-1 petition for alien fiancé.
Thank u very much.
He is legally divorced, and he has a valid b1b2 visa now which expires in 2016
Do u suggest he returns back to Nigeria after our marriage? Or he stays here while I file for adjustment of status for him?
My fear is if he returns back to Nigeria after our marriage, it might be hard for him to get a k1 visa or it could take a very long time before its approves
However,I also read it somewhere that if I file for him after our marriage and he returns back to Nigeria, that my petition will be abandoned, I read it somewhere that even if he falls out of status and I file for him after our marriage that all his sins will be forgiven
Pls clarify me on this . will he not have problem coming back to me here in the US if he returns back to Nigeria after our marriage ? I'm afraid I don't want to loose him.
Pls help me on these
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:42am On Oct 22, 2015
ilovelikes:

Thanks for this clarification. So she needs to apply for an immigrant visa. I will rephrase my questions then.

1. Can she be granted 2 years immigrant visa based on the points I mentioned in my previous post?
3. My younger brother can be free to move to the US with her to keep her company. Can he apply too for an immigrant Visa and be granted?

Thanks

There is no such thing as a 2-year immigrant visa. You need to submit a petition and have a qualifying relationship to submit a petition for immigrant visa. I recommend you read more about the process here: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process.html
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:43am On Oct 22, 2015
ahbaycity:

So what can one do in this case, my sister in law is a citizen, can she be substituted as the petitioner and my wife still retain the priority date of before, or are we going to start afresh here. Because my mother in law is in Nigeria right now. How can we go about it

Your sister-in-law can submit an F4 petition, but that has a different priority date. Unfortunately because there is no longer a qualifying relationship with the petitioner you will have to start the process over. Also, the petitioner will have to be in the U.S. to do an immigrant visa petition.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.