Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (322852 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 3:50pm On Jan 29, 2016
[quote author=LagosNIV post=42422362]

If you need the passport to travel, you can request it, otherwise there is nothing wrong with this situation. The passport was retained to expedite your admin processing.[/quote

Thank you CO.
I will be waiting.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by armo: 9:26pm On Jan 29, 2016
Hi, I used to have a I-130 petition that was approved and with pd current, but wasn't getting any updates for like a year, I applied for an F1 so I could go to school as I Could not wait any longer ,I'm currently in d us, I called nvc and dey said my case was at d Lagos consulate already!. Now my question , do I have to come back to Nigeria to continue d process or can I just adjust status? Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fneboy: 8:08am On Jan 30, 2016
o fill,
3. How long is the processing times.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by wal02: 9:30am On Jan 30, 2016
Goodmorning Visa officer, i have a question,my fiance became an American citizen in November 2015 and we had a baby together in September 2015,he is here to visit me and our baby Nigeria.i will like to know if we can get Consular Report of birth abroad(CRBA) so as to be able to apply for our baby's passport here in Nigeria,moreover,he has included our daughter's name in his Naturalisation papers.And if it is possible for my fiance to file in my i-129f while he is here in Nigeria with me before returning to THE STATE.However,he wants our wedding to take place in US.I will appreciate your timely response.Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by arvindK: 8:32pm On Jan 30, 2016
arvindk:

arvindK:
After she was filed with f2b, during the wait period, she was married and divorced legitimately. Unknowing the law we did not inform these happenings to the USCIS. Later when she applied for a business visa, she told the officer about her divorce. Her business visa was denied for some other reason and after a couple of years she got a letter from USCIS stating that she has to submit documents to NVC for scheduling f2b visa interview. The divorce decree was mandatory in the Immigrant visa application. She was worried on how she could get it without being able to trace her ex partner(whose traces were lost) . Hence,She submitted the application after we as a family wrongly guided her to say in the application as Unmarried girl . We ignorantly thought that being a divorced girl she is eligible for the visa and its not ethically wrong to write as unmarried when she was divorced many years back. We did not know the legal implications behind the F2b since we never consulted any attorney regarding that. Some of my friends said, after a divorce she becomes eligible for the F2b. In the F2b interview, she was pressed hard with the controversies existing in her F2b application in comparison with her previous BV application. After a little drill, she told the consular officer the truth and apologized stating that she never knew that she must disclose the divorce , with respect to the F2b. Obviously, she was denied the visa after a strong rebuke.
After a year , we received a letter from USCIS saying that her F2b petition was automatically revoked. Until now she did not get a 6c1 ineligibility,, ie, not mentioned in the revocation letter. The question is , now she is getting her F4 visa interview in coming year. Will she be ineligible for the Visa. If so when will she be informed about it (ie., 6c1 or any other misrepresentation accusation) .

LagosNIV:

LagosNIV::

Because she explained the truth during the course of the interview she was probably not made ineligible under 6C1. This falls under the "timely retraction" clause.
When she applies for the F4 visa class they will take another look at ineligibilities. Even if she is ineligible under 6C1, she will be able to apply for a waiver and will be given instructions on how to do so at the interview.
LagosNIV:

[quote author=arvindk post=42146920]

arvindK:
Thanks a lot respected Visa officer, LagosNIV, for your reply . We are worried about 6c1, as she was censured during her previous interview before she was denied the visa.
a. The initial denial which she received from consulate officer was a 221(g) letter, in which she was asked to search and bring her
marriage/divorce related document, as she told the CO that she did not have these documents with her.
b. Since she failed the submit these documents in time , after 7 or 8 months the USCIS took some action and then sent us an 'Automatic Revocation' letter.

The Petition Revocation notice which we received, just quoted that , her petition was revoked under the section 8.C.F.R 205.1(a)(3)(i)(I). It did not say about any ineligibility . In one of the posts in this forum, the Visa officer mentioned that, the consular officers don't write "p6c1" on the immigrant's application. They just do a recommendation to USCIS and USCIS decides p6c1 or not. If that being the case, we should have got 'P6c1' ineligibility on the revocation notice, is it. ?.

Some online community friends say that the embassy might have decided about her ineligibility by now.

Also, kindly suggest me on how to find the status of my sister's history. Should we contact the embassy to know about our case, which is, what status does our case holds in their system . Please give an advice.

Thank you for your patience in reading the above.
LagosNIV:

Honestly, it shouldn't really be your concern whether she is P6C1 or 6C1. If she is ineligible, she is ineligible. If she is ineligible, you would have been told she was ineligible. And even if she is, you can apply for a waiver.

Pertaining to the above case which i wrote in the previous posts i have one more query to ask regarding our future Immigrant visa applications.

My sister is about to go for her immigrant visa interview in a month's time. While filling the DS-260 form online, she has a doubt which i request you to help us answer it.

There are questions about "Immigration Law violations" , in which one question is

---"Have you ever sought to obtain or assist others to obtain a visa, entry into the United States,
or any other United States immigration benefit by fraud or willful misrepresentation or other unlawful means? --"

We are pretty sure that we have to be very truthful to the CO. At the same time she is
baffled as how to answer this question. Though she is determined to answer "Yes" and explain the truth , she is also afraid that the very answer would cause her inadmissible for visa, without the officer looking at the explanation.

Could you please suggest an idea on how to give an explanation that could tell the truth as well as convince the officer that there is innocence/ignorance with the applicant.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fneboy: 8:58pm On Jan 31, 2016
Ok
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oluchi007003(f): 12:04pm On Feb 01, 2016
You guys ask impossible questions that I find so funny sometimes.You all know that our VO is a no nonsense,strict fellow,who follows the immigration rules to the last letter.If you're going to ask a question,please think well on how to phrase your questions appropriately so you can get appropriate answers
.PLEASE TAKE OUT TIME TO READ PREVIOUS POSTS,THERE YOU'LL FIND ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS.Happy New Month Y'all

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Gabbyking(m): 3:23pm On Feb 01, 2016
When I read some of the Question some guys ask VO eeh shocked. Well, I salute VO for being patient enough to repeat same thing over and over. I'm sure I won't take that if am in his shoes angry. VO you try oo cheesy

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:25am On Feb 02, 2016
armo:
Hi, I used to have a I-130 petition that was approved and with pd current, but wasn't getting any updates for like a year, I applied for an F1 so I could go to school as I Could not wait any longer ,I'm currently in d us, I called nvc and dey said my case was at d Lagos consulate already!. Now my question , do I have to come back to Nigeria to continue d process or can I just adjust status? Thank you

Attempting to adjust status would start a new process. How you proceed with this is up to you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:26am On Feb 02, 2016
fneboy:
Me and my woman just got married recently, here in ikoyi Lagos. am a Nigerian and she is a usa citizen, we want to start the processing of the papers so I can move to USA, please
1.what kind of visa do I need
2. what form do I have to download to fill,
3. How long is the processing times.

This has already been discussed. You can also do a quick google search. It's going to be a long process so you are going to need to put some effort into it.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:35am On Feb 02, 2016
wal02:
Goodmorning Visa officer, i have a question,my fiance became an American citizen in November 2015 and we had a baby together in September 2015,he is here to visit me and our baby Nigeria.i will like to know if we can get Consular Report of birth abroad(CRBA) so as to be able to apply for our baby's passport here in Nigeria,moreover,he has included our daughter's name in his Naturalisation papers.And if it is possible for my fiance to file in my i-129f while he is here in Nigeria with me before returning to THE STATE.However,he wants our wedding to take place in US.I will appreciate your timely response.Thanks

Sure, you apply for a CRBA. You need to come in to the Embassy or Consulate and speak with American citizens services.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:36am On Feb 02, 2016
arvindK:

I am done with this series of questions.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:37am On Feb 02, 2016
fneboy:
Please according to the form which we are currently filling, we were asked to provide affidavit of witness letters to your marriage... Can you please here me with what the letter will look like. Please so I can tell them what to do... We got married at ikoyi, my wife is from America nd am from Nigeria

These are Nigerian legal documents - most of the applicants have gone to the court and gotten them. There is not a specific US form that you are being asked to fill out.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DoraTosh(f): 10:44am On Feb 02, 2016
Hello VO, still waiting for your response to the answer to your question in response to my previous question.
Thank you!!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:58am On Feb 02, 2016
DoraTosh:
Hello VO, still waiting for your response to the answer to your question in response to my previous question.
Thank you!!

I don't know what is going on with your specific case. There is no way that I can know. If you were told to pick it up at a certain time, I would pick it up then. If you were told something different, I would listen to what you were told.

If you wait the amount of time you were told to, go to pick up your visa and it isn't there, then you can always email the Consulate.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bhadmorse: 6:04pm On Feb 02, 2016
Hello VO, i have a valid 2yr b1/b2 visa, and i have been to U.S two times now.. I also want to apply for my wife, but i want to know if i need to attend the interview with her.. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:55pm On Feb 02, 2016
Is it possible to cancel an immigrant petition if the person being petitioned for is no longer interested?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by arvindK: 6:28am On Feb 03, 2016
LagosNIV:

I am done with this series of questions.

Thank you Visa officer , for the support you gave so far. You have been of so so so much help to the members over here. Its very kind of you for being patient in answering my questions so far.
I pray The Almighty for your welfare. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:59am On Feb 03, 2016
Bhadmorse:
Hello VO, i have a valid 2yr b1/b2 visa, and i have been to U.S two times now.. I also want to apply for my wife, but i want to know if i need to attend the interview with her.. Thanks

Not an immigrant visa question.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:59am On Feb 03, 2016
TheN1:
Is it possible to cancel an immigrant petition if the person being petitioned for is no longer interested?

Yes, the petitioner can cancel the petition at any time.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:05am On Feb 03, 2016
Like if you are trying to get the CO attention and trying to indirectly ask for an update
Cuz I am grin grin grin
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ogunsope1759: 10:35am On Feb 03, 2016
Hello VO, I would like to make an inquiry, not sure if this is the right venue, just need some answers please

My wife and I applied for B1/B2 visa and we were denied yesterday 02/02/2016. Please how soon can we reapply and we would like to know where we made mistake in the last interview so we don't make such mistake again. This was how the last interview went;

Interviewer: How are you
me: I'm fine and you
Interviewer: Why are you going to the United States
me: Vacation
Interviewer: Why Texas
me: To sightsee, visit other cities too like Miami, NY...
Interviewer: How do you intend to move around this places
me: via flight
Interviewer: How long do you intend to stay there
me: One week
Interviewer: Have you ever travelled before
me: we both answered NO
Interviewer: What do you do?
Answer: Marketer in an oil company
Interviewer: And your wife:
she answered: Admin manager

That was all, then she said we didn't qualify... Please advice what step to take and how soon can we reapply...thank you very much.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:21am On Feb 03, 2016
Can someone with a pending application still apply for a visiting visa? I was applied for by a sibling some 3 years ago and i know those migration process take ages and there is a wedding i'd love to attend, childhood friend and bestman at my own wedding. It's not a big deal though if i'm not allowed to have a B1/B2 visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 03, 2016
ogunsope1759:
Hello VO, I would like to make an inquiry, not sure if this is the right venue, just need some answers please

My wife and I applied for B1/B2 visa and we were denied yesterday 02/02/2016. Please how soon can we reapply and we would like to know where we made mistake in the last interview so we don't make such mistake again. This was how the last interview went;

Interviewer: How are you
me: I'm fine and you
Interviewer: Why are you going to the United States
me: Vacation
Interviewer: Why Texas
me: To sightsee, visit other cities too like Miami, NY...
Interviewer: How do you intend to move around this places
me: via flight
Interviewer: How long do you intend to stay there
me: One week
Interviewer: Have you ever travelled before
me: we both answered NO
Interviewer: What do you do?
Answer: Marketer in an oil company
Interviewer: And your wife:
she answered: Admin manager

That was all, then she said we didn't qualify... Please advice what step to take and how soon can we reapply...thank you very much.

B1/B2 visas are not immigrant visas. This is not the right venue.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:30pm On Feb 03, 2016
Gaggi:
Can someone with a pending application still apply for a visiting visa? I was applied for by a sibling some 3 years ago and i know those migration process take ages and there is a wedding i'd love to attend, childhood friend and bestman at my own wedding. It's not a big deal though if i'm not allowed to have a B1/B2 visa.

Having an immigrant visa petition on file does not automatically disqualify you from obtaining a B1/B2 visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:48pm On Feb 03, 2016
LagosNIV:

Having an immigrant visa petition on file does not automatically disqualify you from obtaining a B1/B2 visa.

Thank you for your prompt response. It does not 'automatically disqualify' can be interpreted to mean i have a low chance of succeeding. Why does it pose a challenge if i may ask? Throwing away $160 is not cheap.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:17pm On Feb 03, 2016
Gaggi:

Thank you for your prompt response. It does not 'automatically disqualify' can be interpreted to mean i have a low chance of succeeding. Why does it pose a challenge if i may ask? Throwing away $160 is not cheap.

As previously mentioned, we don't play the odds on your chances of getting a visa. As I already stated, having an immigrant petition is not a disqualification.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 10:46pm On Feb 03, 2016
Dear VO,

Please how can you be of help to me? i had my visa interview since 28th of January and i was placed on AP and since then the status date on CEAC keeping changing but still on AP i really don't know what it means. I am so depressed with the unending waiting,i planned to be with my husband this valentine. pleaseeeeee
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:02am On Feb 04, 2016
winnie123:
Dear VO,

Please how can you be of help to me? i had my visa interview since 28th of January and i was placed on AP and since then the status date on CEAC keeping changing but still on AP i really don't know what it means. I am so depressed with the unending waiting,i planned to be with my husband this valentine. pleaseeeeee

As has been previously mentioned in this thread, administrative processing can mean a number of things. In any case, it means that we need to perform additional review of some of the materials related to your case. When administrative processing is complete you will be informed. As mentioned during your interview, you can contact the consulate directly for an update after 60 days if you haven't heard anything by that point.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by scamalerts1: 7:22am On Feb 04, 2016
@LagoNIV, we applied for B1/B2 visa , we were denied visa yesterday at lag embassy this morning with DH.
I want to confirm if i can apply alone. Possibly this week.
NO docment was checked

The transcript
Vo: takes biometrics. Why are you going in the us?
Me: childbirth and ( i did not say anything abt my dh)
Vo: where are you travelling in the usa?
Me: houston texas
Vo: have you travelled outside nigeria
Me. Have be to ghana and my dh have been to china for business.
Vo: how much is your budget?
Me: 15k ( did not present my budget sheet)
Vo: what did you do
Me. Assist my hubby in his business
Vo. How did you intend to pay?
Me: ( i fvk up big time here) . Pta from stanbic.( did not even my debit card)
Vo: types for ever. Handes over the blue paper.

1.Can you pinpoint the possible cause of denial and solution?
2. Can i apply immediately?.
3.can i reapply again in Abuja?

Regards
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:23am On Feb 04, 2016
scamalerts1:
@LagoNIVI was denied visa today lag embassy this morning with DH.
I want to confirm if i can apply alone. Possibly this week.
NO docment was checked

The transcript
Vo: takes biometrics. Why are you going in the us?
Me: childbirth and ( i did not say anything abt my dh)
Vo: where are you travelling in the usa?
Me: houston texas
Vo: have you travelled outside nigeria
Me. Have be to ghana and my dh have been to china for business.
Vo: how much is your budget?
Me: 15k ( did not present my budget sheet)
Vo: what did you do
Me. Assist my hubby in his business
Vo. How did you intend to pay?
Me: ( i fvk up big time here) . Pta from stanbic.( did not even my debit card)
Vo: types for ever. Handes over the blue paper.

1.Can you pinpoint the possible cause of denial and solution?
2. Can i apply immediately?.
3.can i reapply again in Abuja?

Regards

Immigrant visas are only processed in Lagos. So if you have questions on an immigrant visa, as is clearly the purpose of this thread, then no, you can't apply in Abuja.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.