Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,264 members, 7,780,595 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:11 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (321323 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ZTEN(m): 12:19pm On Jan 19, 2017
Dear honoured VO pls I would like you to explain if it's possible for me to Apply for USA immigration Visa when I don't have anyone over there but my mom wants to finance it. Will it work out? I already have my international Passport though. Pls advise on these.... Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:17pm On Jan 19, 2017
ZTEN:
Dear honoured VO pls I would like you to explain if it's possible for me to Apply for USA immigration Visa when I don't have anyone over there but my mom wants to finance it. Will it work out? I already have my international Passport though. Pls advise on these.... Thanks

You need someone in the United States with whom you have a valid relationship to sponsor you. The relationship can be familial (mother, father, sister, brother, child) or corporate (a company). You can also sponsor yourself if you meet certain requirements, such as you are a battered spouse or you are exceptionally educated and talented. Simply having someone finance you is not sufficient. Contact USCIS for more guidance.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:19pm On Jan 19, 2017
bokohaman:
Hello ma, u are BLESSED...Please, for a pending F4 preference category, when can one notify NVC about his marital status if married or have the intention of getting married before his priority date? Furthermore, if after notifying NVC, can one process his wife visa alongside with his own and immigrate together after successfully completing the visa processes?...Thank u

The best time to report this is immediately after the event: once you are married, you should notify USCIS. Note that this will not change any timing as an F4 is not affected by marital status. They will able to help you add your spouse to the petition.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bokohaman: 1:53pm On Jan 19, 2017
VisaOfficer:

The best time to report this is immediately after the event: once you are married, you should notify USCIS. Note that this will not change any timing as an F4 is not affected by marital status. They will able to help you add your spouse to the petition.

Regards,
VO
thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Sleek5(f): 5:54pm On Jan 19, 2017
Hello Visa Officer,

I have been refused b1/b2 visa 5 times and F1 visa 2 times. I do believe there is something in the system that might say I have strong immigrant intent or I don't know which subsequently results in a 214(b) refusal all the times I have applied, because I remember my very first NIV interview in Lagos 10yrs ago, I stated that I was going to visit my fiancé. The last F1 student visa refusal, I decided to come to Canada to study instead. Now, I have been scheduled for an immigrant visa interview together with my son in Canada under the f2A category as my husband/child's father is a LPR. My question is - does the number of times one has been refused a NIV ever have an effect on the immigrant visa decision/outcome?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ZTEN(m): 10:48am On Jan 20, 2017
VisaOfficer:

You need someone in the United States with whom you have a valid relationship to sponsor you. The relationship can be familial (mother, father, sister, brother, child) or corporate (a company). You can also sponsor yourself if you meet certain requirements, such as you are a battered spouse or you are exceptionally educated and talented. Simply having someone finance you is not sufficient. Contact USCIS for more guidance.

Regards,
VO
Oh okay thanks for the response, I thought without having someone over you can go there when you can finance yourself.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:53pm On Jan 20, 2017
ZTEN:

Oh okay thanks for the response, I thought without having someone over you can go there when you can finance yourself.

U.S. immigration law requires a sponsor unless you are an alien with extraordinary abilities (EB-1 visa). Extraordinary is interpreted as receiving international recognition in your field. Awards of this nature include an Academy Award, Nobel Prize, Pulitzer, and the like. You may be eligible for a waiver, but it is rare. For further information, I recommend you contact USCIS.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oloyinmomo: 4:39pm On Jan 22, 2017
Dear V/O, Immigration Visa petition was filed on
my behalf by my daughter in the U.S.,in 2014. I was approved by NVC & scheduled for interview in April, 2015. At the interview the consulate officer declined my Visa based on my deportation from U.S. in 1999 on an offense of moral turpitude. The consulate officer issued me a Form- SPECIFIC FILING TIPS .
She advised to follow strictly the process on the form for filing I-601 & I-212 waivers,& that's all I need to get my Visa.
In the light of the above, I applied to USCIS & DEPT OF HOMELAND SECURITY. On 4th of Nov, 2016 my applications were approved & a letter was sent to me to contact the consulate.After waiting awhile to hear from the consulate in Lagos & did not get any mail. On 6th of December, 2016 I emailed the consulate . On 8th of December, 2016 I got a reply that my approval letters are being reviewed & will get back to me in few days. When I didn't hear from the consulate my family and My lawyer advised I email a reminder. Which I did & got the same answer. On 20th of January, 2017 ,I received an email from the consulate stating that they got my approval letters for I-601 & I-212 waivers only, that they didn't get the waiver for 92C. I couldn't believe what I was reading. I felt like I was hit with a punch below the belt. I was given a document that specifically state what I need to apply for & get approved in order to get my Visa. That apart, the consulate officer during my interview vehemently insisted that's the hurdles (I-601 & I-212) I need to scale to get my visa. I still have the original copy of the document given to me by the consulate officer. How come this at the last hour? I hope I'm wrong, I feel like someone went on a fishing expedition to find a clause to deny me of the Visa. I will appreciate your valuable advise on this matter. Best Regards
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mikeses: 8:23am On Jan 23, 2017
Dear VO,

I am in the process of attending a consular interview in the next month, Feb 2017 , pursuing a family petition. F3 visa petition.

My paper work is all over almost. I am employed in a very big organization. I planned to quit my job as i may need to relocate to USA once i get through my visa. My organization is one of the top in the country and i play a vital role in one of the projects. I needed to inform my senior management team well in advance before i quit the job. So i told about my plans of quitting the job, 2 months ago. Since my role is vital in my workplace, the management does not want me to quit my job now.
Because of the discrepancy, i started to develop cold-shoulders with my management without any another choice left out. I am unhappy with all my seniors now as they don't allow an easy walk out for me.

Now, the problem is this. My senior management is saying that they would give a negative feed back to the US consulate, if a question is coming from the consulate regarding my workplace conducts. I am worried on this.
Would the CO be minding the feedback from my workplace, given the fact that i am going for a Consular interview on a family based petition. My interview is not a H1b/L1A/L1B/B1/B2. Kindly clarify.

I wish to thank VO on behalf of Nairaland for the magnificent job you do on this site, which is to guide everyone in the visa matters.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:01pm On Jan 23, 2017
oloyinmomo:
Dear V/O, Immigration Visa petition was filed on
my behalf by my daughter in the U.S.,in 2014. I was approved by NVC & scheduled for interview in April, 2015. At the interview the consulate officer declined my Visa based on my deportation from U.S. in 1999 on an offense of moral turpitude. The consulate officer issued me a Form- SPECIFIC FILING TIPS .
She advised to follow strictly the process on the form for filing I-601 & I-212 waivers,& that's all I need to get my Visa.
In the light of the above, I applied to USCIS & DEPT OF HOMELAND SECURITY. On 4th of Nov, 2016 my applications were approved & a letter was sent to me to contact the consulate.After waiting awhile to hear from the consulate in Lagos & did not get any mail. On 6th of December, 2016 I emailed the consulate . On 8th of December, 2016 I got a reply that my approval letters are being reviewed & will get back to me in few days. When I didn't hear from the consulate my family and My lawyer advised I email a reminder. Which I did & got the same answer. On 20th of January, 2017 ,I received an email from the consulate stating that they got my approval letters for I-601 & I-212 waivers only, that they didn't get the waiver for 92C. I couldn't believe what I was reading. I felt like I was hit with a punch below the belt. I was given a document that specifically state what I need to apply for & get approved in order to get my Visa. That apart, the consulate officer during my interview vehemently insisted that's the hurdles (I-601 & I-212) I need to scale to get my visa. I still have the original copy of the document given to me by the consulate officer. How come this at the last hour? I hope I'm wrong, I feel like someone went on a fishing expedition to find a clause to deny me of the Visa. I will appreciate your valuable advise on this matter. Best Regards

Without knowing details about your case, a 92C is related to an attempt to re-enter the United States after being ordered removed. It is a serious offense that has no waiver for an immigrant visa. I recommend you work with an immigration attorney if you have not done so already.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:06pm On Jan 23, 2017
mikeses:
Dear VO,

I am in the process of attending a consular interview in the next month, Feb 2017 , pursuing a family petition. F3 visa petition.

My paper work is all over almost. I am employed in a very big organization. I planned to quit my job as i may need to relocate to USA once i get through my visa. My organization is one of the top in the country and i play a vital role in one of the projects. I needed to inform my senior management team well in advance before i quit the job. So i told about my plans of quitting the job, 2 months ago. Since my role is vital in my workplace, the management does not want me to quit my job now.
Because of the discrepancy, i started to develop cold-shoulders with my management without any another choice left out. I am unhappy with all my seniors now as they don't allow an easy walk out for me.

Now, the problem is this. My senior management is saying that they would give a negative feed back to the US consulate, if a question is coming from the consulate regarding my workplace conducts. I am worried on this.
Would the CO be minding the feedback from my workplace, given the fact that i am going for a Consular interview on a family based petition. My interview is not a H1b/L1A/L1B/B1/B2. Kindly clarify.

I wish to thank VO on behalf of Nairaland for the magnificent job you do on this site, which is to guide everyone in the visa matters.

If your company chooses to send derogatory information to us, we will review it as part of the whole file. That said, we only consider U.S. law when adjudicating applications. My advice would be to keep your eye on the bigger prize and get through the visa interview before worrying what your company may or may not do.

I will also add that we keep excellent records of all correspondence. Your company should take care if they choose to send false derogatory information.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oloyinmomo: 9:52pm On Jan 23, 2017
Dear VO,
Can you pls explain to me further about 92C . ln your reply you said 92C is an attempt to reenter United States after being ordered removed through deportation. If I understand you clearly does it mean that they are saying I have attempted to enter the United States after my voluntary deportation or can never be allowed to enter again. Pls expatiate. Thanks for your assistance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mikeses: 4:35am On Jan 24, 2017
VisaOfficer:

If your company chooses to send derogatory information to us, we will review it as part of the whole file. That said, we only consider U.S. law when adjudicating applications. My advice would be to keep your eye on the bigger prize and get through the visa interview before worrying what your company may or may not do.

I will also add that we keep excellent records of all correspondence. Your company should take care if they choose to send false derogatory information.

Regards,
VO

Dear VO, Many thanks for your reply. I will stop worrying on my company then, as per your advice. God bless.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lysiana: 7:20am On Jan 24, 2017
Good morning VO,

I had an interview at the US embassy without my medical result. After the interview, I was given a white paper requesting me to submit my medical result and passport.

Due to my location, the clinic will mail the medical result to the Embassy, while I mail the passport.

Please, will there be any issue if the two documents are mailed to the Embassy separately?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:46pm On Jan 24, 2017
lysiana:
Good morning VO,

I had an interview at the US embassy without my medical result. After the interview, I was given a white paper requesting me to submit my medical result and passport.

Due to my location, the clinic will mail the medical result to the Embassy, while I mail the passport.

Please, will there be any issue if the two documents are mailed to the Embassy separately?

No issues, though it is preferred to be together.

Regards,
VO

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:48pm On Jan 24, 2017
oloyinmomo:
Dear VO,
Can you pls explain to me further about 92C . ln your reply you said 92C is an attempt to reenter United States after being ordered removed through deportation. If I understand you clearly does it mean that they are saying I have attempted to enter the United States after my voluntary deportation or can never be allowed to enter again. Pls expatiate. Thanks for your assistance.

If you indeed have a 92C on your record, and you are applying for an immigrant visa, then yes, you are permanently banned from entering the United States.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oloyinmomo: 1:58pm On Jan 24, 2017
Dear VO,
God bless you sir. That is the clarification I need. I don't have any 92C on my record. I have never attempt to reenter U.S.,since the Immigration judge allowed me to depart in 1999. That's why I'm surprised by this last minute requirement by the consulate that I provide a third waiver after my I-601 & I-212 have been approved by USCIS. They didn't state the ground for the 92C. I believe there must have been an administrative error. Can you advice me on any corrective measure(s) I can take to correasureis anomaly. I appreciate your assistance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by iwrestledabear: 3:10pm On Jan 24, 2017
Dear VO

I am currently holding my advance parole and employment authorization document and living in the USA waiting for my green card to be approved.

It was supposed to come through in January but the Obama administration has USCIS fastrack naturalization applications during the election year which caused a 3 month delay.

I have a wife and a newborn son back home and I am not able to see them often because I have been in the usa waiting on mt documents.

I would like them to come and visit me on a visitors visa, just to cut short the time we will be apart. I am envisionig a 2 to 3 month trip.

I have also filed a folow to come application for them and paid the fees, so i am kinda worried that if they apply for a visitora visa they will be denied based on the fact that i am a pending greencard applicant.

Please advise.

Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by philipogunti: 10:14am On Jan 26, 2017
Dear honoured vo, I have a cousin whose sister is LPR but will naturalise this august. She would like to adopt her bro but he's 15 and would turn 16 yrs of age by nov. So is d adoption process and naturalising going to take long. will he fall out of category and how many yrs will the lil boy wait in nig. can she as a lpr adopt now and when naturalization is completed sponsor him. pls I nid ur answer thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:29pm On Jan 26, 2017
oloyinmomo:
Dear VO,
God bless you sir. That is the clarification I need. I don't have any 92C on my record. I have never attempt to reenter U.S.,since the Immigration judge allowed me to depart in 1999. That's why I'm surprised by this last minute requirement by the consulate that I provide a third waiver after my I-601 & I-212 have been approved by USCIS. They didn't state the ground for the 92C. I believe there must have been an administrative error. Can you advice me on any corrective measure(s) I can take to correasureis anomaly. I appreciate your assistance.

There is no "third waiver" for your immigrant visa; a 92C cannot be waived. Therefore, you are permanently banned from entering the United States. However, you may -- may -- be eligible for a waiver for a non-immigrant visa. The Consulate no longer has your file. You should contact USCIS going forward.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:36pm On Jan 26, 2017
philipogunti:
Dear honoured vo, I have a cousin whose sister is LPR but will naturalise this august. She would like to adopt her bro but he's 15 and would turn 16 yrs of age by nov. So is d adoption process and naturalising going to take long. will he fall out of category and how many yrs will the lil boy wait in nig. can she as a lpr adopt now and when naturalization is completed sponsor him. pls I nid ur answer thanks

This is a complicated question and I will not have all of the answers for you. In general, the adoption must be "full and final" in Nigeria before someone can petition for the child. However, if the child is 16 years or older at the time of adoption and has no other siblings, then the child cannot be adopted under U.S. law. This is due to the I-604, Determination on Child for Adoption in which a consular officer agrees that the adoption was full, final, under a court of competent jurisdiction, and the age requirements have been met.

I encourage you to consult with an immigration and/or adoption attorney for further guidance.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:38pm On Jan 26, 2017
iwrestledabear:
Dear VO

I am currently holding my advance parole and employment authorization document and living in the USA waiting for my green card to be approved.

It was supposed to come through in January but the Obama administration has USCIS fastrack naturalization applications during the election year which caused a 3 month delay.

I have a wife and a newborn son back home and I am not able to see them often because I have been in the usa waiting on mt documents.

I would like them to come and visit me on a visitors visa, just to cut short the time we will be apart. I am envisionig a 2 to 3 month trip.

I have also filed a folow to come application for them and paid the fees, so i am kinda worried that if they apply for a visitora visa they will be denied based on the fact that i am a pending greencard applicant.

Please advise.

Thank you

I advise you to consult with USCIS regarding your green card. Also, you have asked a non-immigrant visa question on an immigrant visa forum.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by zed7: 3:22pm On Jan 26, 2017
Dear VO, what are the consequences when someone whom was filed an immigrant visa for by a sibling is no longer interested in migrating to the US as he is now settled here and doing well in his business and now has a family. He would rather prefer occasional holidays to the US instead.
1. Will the petitioner have to inform the authorities to cancel the petition?
2. Will canceling a petition affect application for a B1/B2 in future?

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.