Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,239 members, 7,780,467 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:01 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (62) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (321317 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:46am On Feb 03, 2017
forfaith:
I thank you for answering my last inquiry. I have another about AP. My wife and my case has been in AP for two months and by going by the CEAC site has not been 'touched' durring this time. Now I do not want you to share 'company secrets or policies', however can give you an idea of ​​what this means and why this is happening.My wife is 100% clean as is her family in any since you can attribute to this process as am I. No prior immigration or any kind of transgressions. I work a steady, good paying job and have all the resources I need to be approved for this process.But durring our AP, which I understand is necessary for any and all reasons, our case has not been considered or checked. Can you shed some light for me, in a vague way, without going against company policies. I thank you in advance.

You may request an update on any case by writing the immigrant visa unit at LagosIV@state.gov. Please provide your case number, the petitioner's name, and the beneficiary's name when you write. We will only reply to the petitioner, the beneficiary, or the lawyer on file.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:47am On Feb 03, 2017
Mina83:
Good evening VO, I did my FA2 interview on 24th Jan 2017 and got approved. I check on CEAC same day and saw AP and on the 25th of Jan it Changed to Issued but passport still not available for pick up until today.. Kindly check if it normal.. I have called the DSS office severally but passport still not available for pick up. LGS2015639041.

Write the immigrant visa unit at LagosIV@state.gov.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:01pm On Feb 03, 2017
1. How will this lady know if 6c1 applied on her. Is there a formal way that USCIS adopts to let the beneficiary know. Say, by means of 'Notification Email' or 'Update in Online Status' or 'In the Revocation Letter from USCIS or Embassy'.

If you write LagosIV@state.gov, the officer assigned to your case will investigate and return an answer to you.

2. If she is notified by any of the means above, how soon can she expect this notification from USCIS/Embassy. Understanding this, will help her to react proactively.

There is no timetable on responses as research can take quite awhile. Generally, you will have a response within five working days.

3. A generic question : Many a times in this blog i read out clearly that COs are as lenient as possible for most applicants unless they commit felony. We are extremely thankful for this considerate attitude of yours. Mercy. Under the new honorable president Mr. Donald Trump, has this attitude changed by any sense.? It looks like the media reports a lot about immigration updates, these days.

There is no change to Nigerian immigrant visa policy at this time. It is true that we check for felony convictions. Other things that may keep an immigrant visa applicant from being approved include multiple smaller convictions; overstaying a non-immigrant visa (mama stays for 3 years instead of 6 months); not having the required financial support; polygamy; and refusal to be vaccinated.

If you are interested, here is the full list of ineligibilities as of this writing:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/ineligibilities.html#visa

4. I also remember that i read out in some media that Waiver options for many ineligibility sections are ruled out under current govt policy. Is this true ? . Kindly excuse if i understood/asked anything wrongly.

There is no change to the waiver policy at this time. That said, waiver approvals are not guaranteed. If someone is seeking a waiver, then they have done something wrong. Entering the United States is a great privilege and many tens of thousands of Nigerians enjoy their visits in America. There are many more who wish they could travel to the U.S. but cannot for various reasons. When enjoying the privilege of being in the U.S., we ask everyone to be on their best behavior. You are, after all, ambassadors of your country. Unfortunately, not everyone follows this guidance.

Again: I request the general bloggers to ask sensible questions to the VO. The VO is spending valuable time in responding to our questions. Asking about 'Ticket costs' is way too mundane and cliche in blogs like this.

Agree.

Regards,
VO

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mikeses: 1:19pm On Feb 03, 2017
VisaOfficer:
1. How will this lady know if 6c1 applied on her. Is there a formal way that USCIS adopts to let the beneficiary know. Say, by means of 'Notification Email' or 'Update in Online Status' or 'In the Revocation Letter from USCIS or Embassy'.

If you write LagosIV@state.gov, the officer assigned to your case will investigate and return an answer to you.

2. If she is notified by any of the means above, how soon can she expect this notification from USCIS/Embassy. Understanding this, will help her to react proactively.

There is no timetable on responses as research can take quite awhile. Generally, you will have a response within five working days.

3. A generic question : Many a times in this blog i read out clearly that COs are as lenient as possible for most applicants unless they commit felony. We are extremely thankful for this considerate attitude of yours. Mercy. Under the new honorable president Mr. Donald Trump, has this attitude changed by any sense.? It looks like the media reports a lot about immigration updates, these days.

There is no change to Nigerian immigrant visa policy at this time. It is true that we check for felony convictions. Other things that may keep an immigrant visa applicant from being approved include multiple smaller convictions; overstaying a non-immigrant visa (mama stays for 3 years instead of 6 months); not having the required financial support; polygamy; and refusal to be vaccinated.

If you are interested, here is the full list of ineligibilities as of this writing:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/ineligibilities.html#visa

4. I also remember that i read out in some media that Waiver options for many ineligibility sections are ruled out under current govt policy. Is this true ? . Kindly excuse if i understood/asked anything wrongly.

There is no change to the waiver policy at this time. That said, waiver approvals are not guaranteed. If someone is seeking a waiver, then they have done something wrong. Entering the United States is a great privilege and many tens of thousands of Nigerians enjoy their visits in America. There are many more who wish they could travel to the U.S. but cannot for various reasons. When enjoying the privilege of being in the U.S., we ask everyone to be on their best behavior. You are, after all, ambassadors of your country. Unfortunately, not everyone follows this guidance.

Again: I request the general bloggers to ask sensible questions to the VO. The VO is spending valuable time in responding to our questions. Asking about 'Ticket costs' is way too mundane and cliche in blogs like this.

Agree.

Regards,
VO

Excellent VO. Thank you very much for going point by point. . Very kind of you.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Cfo4all: 11:05pm On Feb 03, 2017
My brother has a pending K1 visa before traveling to the USA to visit the fiancée cos she's gonna have a baby, but they got married in a courthouse before the baby was born due to their personal reasons. My question is does he still need to come back and complete the K1 process?? Or is he in trouble since they already got married
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Luckysoj: 12:57pm On Feb 05, 2017
Hi consular,
Please I want to confirm if this news is real.

Nigeria favored in Trump’s immigration war as he signs a visa-free travel policy for Nigerians – Vanguard
http://vanguardngr.local-reports.com/nigeria-favored-in-trumps-immigration-war-as-he-signs-a-visa-free-travel-policy-for-nigerians/

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:44am On Feb 06, 2017
Cfo4all:
My brother has a pending K1 visa before traveling to the USA to visit the fiancée cos she's gonna have a baby, but they got married in a courthouse before the baby was born due to their personal reasons. My question is does he still need to come back and complete the K1 process?? Or is he in trouble since they already got married

The marriage invalidates the K1 fiance visa. If he got divorced now, it would still be invalid. His new wife will have to file a CR1 immigrant visa for him. Report the marriage to USCIS and then wait for the new petition to flow through the normal process.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:47am On Feb 06, 2017
Luckysoj:
Hi consular,
Please I want to confirm if this news is real.

Nigeria favored in Trump’s immigration war as he signs a visa-free travel policy for Nigerians – Vanguard
http://vanguardngr.local-reports.com/nigeria-favored-in-trumps-immigration-war-as-he-signs-a-visa-free-travel-policy-for-nigerians/

I'm glad you checked before buying tickets to the U.S. No, this is not true. It would be a huge announcement if true. We have seen various versions of this untrue story from different countries.

If you read this carefully, you will see that this is not Vanguard but local-reports -- an unknown entity.

Visit our website https://ng.usembassy.gov/ for the most current and true updates.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Emmanuelson(m): 2:54pm On Feb 07, 2017
Good day VO

sir/ma I will like to know if it is true that the petition of a united state citizen(USC) is attended to faster than that of LPR or they treat both cases in the same way..I'm asking because my mom is currently a LPR and someone advice her not to file for me (unmarried child over 21years old ) until she become USC in few months time.The person claim they will attend to her petition faster then than if she file the petition now.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by MabraO: 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2017
VisaOfficer

Good morning, I am thinking of starting the process of acquiring a US visa. I got uncles nd Aunty but can't really file for me. My Dad once did like 15 years ago but I didn't get d visa due to some circumstances I was never privileged to know.
Now I want file on my own ground, how will I go about it.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:24pm On Feb 08, 2017
MabraO:
VisaOfficer

Good morning, I am thinking of starting the process of acquiring a US visa. I got uncles nd Aunty but can't really file for me. My Dad once did like 15 years ago but I didn't get d visa due to some circumstances I was never privileged to know.
Now I want file on my own ground, how will I go about it.

Thanks

You can't, on your own, file for an immigrant visa, unless you meet certain requirements that I have written about extensively in prior posts.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:34pm On Feb 08, 2017
Emmanuelson:
Good day VO

sir/ma I will like to know if it is true that the petition of a united state citizen(USC) is attended to faster than that of LPR or they treat both cases in the same way..I'm asking because my mom is currently a LPR and someone advice her not to file for me (unmarried child over 21years old ) until she become USC in few months time.The person claim they will attend to her petition faster then than if she file the petition now.

The processing is the same, but the wait may be shorter. Immediate relative visas filed by U.S. citizens are immediately "current" meaning they do not wait for a number to become available. These are for spouses, unmarried children under 21, and parents. Siblings and older children will need to wait for a number. Generally, these waits are shorter for American citizen filers, but not always. The visa bulletin (search for that term) will give you a better idea.

That said, assuming everything is OK, your file will automatically convert from an LPR filer to an American citizen filer, so waiting these few months for her to gain citizenship probably won't make anything faster.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Emmanuelson(m): 3:04pm On Feb 08, 2017
VisaOfficer:

The processing is the same, but the wait may be shorter. Immediate relative visas filed by U.S. citizens are immediately "current" meaning they do not wait for a number to become available. These are for spouses, unmarried children under 21, and parents. Siblings and older children will need to wait for a number. Generally, these waits are shorter for American citizen filers, but not always. The visa bulletin (search for that term) will give you a better idea.

That said, assuming everything is OK, your file will automatically convert from an LPR filer to an American citizen filer, so waiting these few months for her to gain citizenship probably won't make anything faster.

Regards,
VO

Thanks for the reply sir I really do appreciate
But sir will you rather advice she file for me now or wait till then?
And how long will it take for me to get a visa interview date if she file as a USC ?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by farastrongman: 3:46pm On Feb 08, 2017
Good day VO.

Thank you for you usual assistance.

Please i want to now how long it takes for the embassy to schedule an appointment at the consulate after petition is received from the NVC.

Petitioner is an american citizen for his son.

Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:50pm On Feb 08, 2017
farastrongman:
Good day VO.

Thank you for you usual assistance.

Please i want to now how long it takes for the embassy to schedule an appointment at the consulate after petition is received from the NVC.

Petitioner is an american citizen for his son.

Thank you

Once NVC notifies the Consulate, it can take several weeks to several months. This is partly because we must first receive the physical file from NVC from the United States. You will be contacted when ready.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:52pm On Feb 08, 2017
chokey419:
7 years approximately if you remain single and around 12years if you get married during that period. Thats if she files as a citizen.

This sounds about right, maybe a little long by 1-2 years. Note that if you marry before she becomes a citizen, that will immediately cancel your visa application as there is no visa class available for a married adult child of an LPR. You can marry after she naturalizes, but be very sure about her status. We have seen the unfortunate results otherwise.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by menuwe: 5:21pm On Feb 08, 2017
Greetings to everyone on this forum.. my interview is coming up next month for a cr1 visa.. I have a question.. do I need to register for a courier service prior to my interview date to get my passport and visa back when issued?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by farastrongman: 8:15pm On Feb 08, 2017
VisaOfficer:

Once NVC notifies the Consulate, it can take several weeks to several months. This is partly because we must first receive the physical file from NVC from the United States. You will be contacted when ready.

Regards,
VO

Thank so much once again for the prompt reply.
The attorney said NVC has sent the case to Nigeria this February. I just want to know the waiting time for the embassy to schedule for interview.

Remain blessed.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:02pm On Feb 08, 2017
Good evening Sir,
I've been a silent reader of this great thread for a while, And I commend your contributions so far in putting us through. I have a priority date of 22 Feb 2004 for my F4 visa category, the new bulletin released today shows 22 Feb 2004. I just want to know if my date falls into what will be treated in March as they said cases with priority dates that are earlier than the date listed. If it falls in, what time will it take NVC to send my package down if not here? And how long will it take to get an interview date.
Thank you.
God bless!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kannyt01(m): 12:16pm On Feb 09, 2017
Hi VisaOfficer

I am a newbie on travel section, but after reading through all the various questions and your invaluable responses i would tell i have no iota of doubt... kindly keep up the good work. God almighty will always discern your heart troubles too Amen.

Am a brother-in-law to the person who wants to file for me he is a USC, we bear different surname, i am single in my mid twenties but working with steady income. i have never traveled outside my home country. He wants me to come for a vacation by mid year. Pls what are my chances of getting approval? What is it i need to understand?
Hopefully anytime soon i will get a response.
Thanks.
Best Regards
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Temple1288(m): 12:14pm On Feb 10, 2017
Please, I have this question to ask...
I've known this man who's from America (Mississippi State) and his family for 2 years----through the internet and now they want me to come over to the USA.. I just graduated from Sec school..
He was talking about adoption, but I never considered that because my parents are still alive and I'm past 18... I was sent N100,000 for a Visa Application, but promised to send me a ticket money once I'm done and expect I come to America before June..
So please, don't be offended---- what are the necessary steps I need to take and what type of Visa do you advise me to apply?

I haven't been to the Embassy before nor applied for a visa, I only have an International Passport which I had last year.. So I beg you in the name of God advice me on what and how to go about this.. Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bashir75: 9:19pm On Feb 10, 2017
Dear Visa Officer,

I'm grateful for how you shed lights on U.S visa immigration issues and your guidance on procedures. That's why American is the greatest country on earth. I'm a Nigerian based in Abu Dhabi (UAE) with my wife (US Citizen) and our two kids (US Citizens through birth ). She just filed for me a spouse visa, having applied twice for Visitor's visa and denied. We had our traditional marriage in Sagamu Nigeria, my hometown 4yrs ago. I have an error in my passport, precisely my date of birth and place of birth which I have corrected on my last visit, in 2016; however, I have used the old passport details to applied for the process of my children's US passport and twice I applied for non-immigration visa here in Abu Dhabi. Could that be an issue when I'm call for the interview for the spouse visa?

In anticipation of your quick response, I say Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.