Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,612 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:02 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (63) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (322794 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by toimodic(m): 7:55am On Feb 11, 2017
Hello VO,

Please I have a brother who is a US citizen (green Card) and he want me to join him. Please what are the procedure and processing time.

What documents will he provide and on my own side what documents will I bring.

Your responses will help a lot thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:31pm On Feb 11, 2017
good evening everybody. pls forgive me if this is not the right place to post this. my sister lost her husband(a us citizen) 4 months ago they were both residing here in lagos because he couldn't work over there anymore after he got disabled, they have four kids age 10,8 (twins) and 6months old baby, the first 3 got their us citizenship here through neutralisation but the baby doesn't. NOW MY QUESTION IS what visa category can the baby and the mother(she has never travel out of Nigeria before) apply for since the other three are citizens NOTE: she's not working, when her husband was alive they where living on SSA benefits(the husband and three kids) and will the US government stop paying since the husband is no more .. pls help a brother because she does know anything about the process at all
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Hay4Happle: 5:48pm On Feb 11, 2017
Hello VO. I have a question regarding J1 visas, and would be grateful of your help.

I am a doctor and have been accepted into a residency program in the U.S. I would like to apply for a J1 visa as I would like to return to Nigeria after completing my residency, and also would be subject to the two- year home residency requirement.

My husband also resides and works in Nigeria and we have agreed it would be better in the long run that he does not relocate, as he is doing very well here. He does have a Tourist visa. The plan is for him to visit at least every other month for 1-2 weeks.

Would he be in violation of his visitor's visa based on the frequency and duration of his planned visits, or would you advise he file for a J2 visa under my J1?

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bleek147(m): 7:15pm On Feb 11, 2017
Hello sir,

my wife just apply for the cr1 visa for me and my international passport is going to expire next month march, I will make a renewal of my passport. I want to ask if I can use the new renewed passport if the petition is approve soon sir.

why am asking is because they said passport must be up to 6months before using for visa application , please sir tell me what to do if my passport expire before my file get here sir.

thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AmAllEyes(f): 8:50pm On Feb 12, 2017
Hello VO:

I had my F4 visa interview in March 2013 (with my spouse), but was denied.

The reason for denial was because I overstayed a previous visa, which triggerred a 10 year ban.

Now that I have served this ban, how do I start this process all over again?

Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by debollini(m): 7:24am On Feb 14, 2017
Good morning,

I recently apply for a US Visa, i registered a profile and booked an appointment for my wife and i yesterday, however i have not been able to registered my 6 yr old daughter as the profile page is responding with this error message

Errors

Your request cannot be processed at this time. The site administrator has been alerted.
User could not be created. Please ensure First Name and Last Name are entered as they are in your passport.

i am of the opinion that there should be a way to book a family appointment through my profile, am i wrong? since this too did not respond (message on the site....operation inactive or something like that)

should i attend the interview with my daughter based on my appointment? or should i continue to wait until the site is responsive and i can now register her own profile? do i use my e mail or open an e mail for her? please note that the date and timing for our own interview may no longer be available by the time the site becomes responsive, what do i do? please what do i do?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:52pm On Feb 14, 2017
Emmanuelson:

Thanks for the reply sir I really do appreciate
But sir will you rather advice she file for me now or wait till then?
And how long will it take for me to get a visa interview date if she file as a USC ?

You should contact an immigration attorney with these questions.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:54pm On Feb 14, 2017
kannyt01:
Hi VisaOfficer

I am a newbie on travel section, but after reading through all the various questions and your invaluable responses i would tell i have no iota of doubt... kindly keep up the good work. God almighty will always discern your heart troubles too Amen.

Am a brother-in-law to the person who wants to file for me he is a USC, we bear different surname, i am single in my mid twenties but working with steady income. i have never traveled outside my home country. He wants me to come for a vacation by mid year. Pls what are my chances of getting approval? What is it i need to understand?
Hopefully anytime soon i will get a response.
Thanks.
Best Regards

A brother-in-law is not a qualifying relationship for immigration purposes. Your sister needs to file for you. As for the vacation, this is a non-immigrant visa question. And we do not give chances on approvals.

Regards,
VO

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:56pm On Feb 14, 2017
debollini:
Good morning,

I recently apply for a US Visa, i registered a profile and booked an appointment for my wife and i yesterday, however i have not been able to registered my 6 yr old daughter as the profile page is responding with this error message

Errors

Your request cannot be processed at this time. The site administrator has been alerted.
User could not be created. Please ensure First Name and Last Name are entered as they are in your passport.

i am of the opinion that there should be a way to book a family appointment through my profile, am i wrong? since this too did not respond (message on the site....operation inactive or something like that)

should i attend the interview with my daughter based on my appointment? or should i continue to wait until the site is responsive and i can now register her own profile? do i use my e mail or open an e mail for her? please note that the date and timing for our own interview may no longer be available by the time the site becomes responsive, what do i do? please what do i do?

This forum is for questions involving U.S. immigration policy and law. If you require web assistance, write LagosIV@state.gov for an immigrant visa or LagosNIV@state.gov for a visitor visa.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:57pm On Feb 14, 2017
AmAllEyes:
Hello VO:

I had my F4 visa interview in March 2013 (with my spouse), but was denied.

The reason for denial was because I overstayed a previous visa, which triggerred a 10 year ban.

Now that I have served this ban, how do I start this process all over again?

Thanks!

Write us at LagosIV@state.gov for next steps. Include your case number, petitioner name, and beneficiary name.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:00pm On Feb 14, 2017
bleek147:
Hello sir,

my wife just apply for the cr1 visa for me and my international passport is going to expire next month march, I will make a renewal of my passport. I want to ask if I can use the new renewed passport if the petition is approve soon sir.

why am asking is because they said passport must be up to 6months before using for visa application , please sir tell me what to do if my passport expire before my file get here sir.

thank you.

You can apply with your current passport information. Then, knowing that your CR1 application will take a few months to a couple years to process, there is plenty of time to get a new passport.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:01pm On Feb 14, 2017
toimodic:
Hello VO,

Please I have a brother who is a US citizen (green Card) and he want me to join him. Please what are the procedure and processing time.

What documents will he provide and on my own side what documents will I bring.

Your responses will help a lot thank you

I assume you mean he is a naturalized U.S. citizen who once had a green card. There is plenty of information available online. If in doubt, write USCIS with your questions and/or contact an immigration attorney.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:08pm On Feb 14, 2017
Hay4Happle:
Hello VO. I have a question regarding J1 visas, and would be grateful of your help.

I am a doctor and have been accepted into a residency program in the U.S. I would like to apply for a J1 visa as I would like to return to Nigeria after completing my residency, and also would be subject to the two- year home residency requirement.

My husband also resides and works in Nigeria and we have agreed it would be better in the long run that he does not relocate, as he is doing very well here. He does have a Tourist visa. The plan is for him to visit at least every other month for 1-2 weeks.

Would he be in violation of his visitor's visa based on the frequency and duration of his planned visits, or would you advise he file for a J2 visa under my J1?

Thank you.

This is a non-immigrant visa question. Please take your question to the appropriate forum.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:12pm On Feb 14, 2017
Kenamen20:
good evening everybody. pls forgive me if this is
not the right place to post this.
my sister lost her husband(a us citizen) 4 months
ago they were both residing here in lagos because
he couldn't work over there anymore after he got
disabled, they have four kids age 10,8 (twins) and
6months old baby, the first 3 got their us
citizenship here through neutralisation but the
baby doesn't. NOW MY QUESTION IS what visa
category can the baby and the mother(she has
never travel out of Nigeria before) apply for since
the other three are citizens
NOTE: she's not working, when her husband was
alive they where living on SSA benefits(the
husband and three kids) and will the US
government stop paying since the husband is no
more .. pls help a brother because she does know
anything about the process at all

Depending on the exact circumstances, your sister may qualify for either an IB1 or IW1 visa class. Her child would go as an IB3 or IW2. These relate to U.S. citizen spouses who have died. There are some pretty strict criteria, however.

If she does not qualify for an IB1 or IW1, the only thing she can do if there is no other family in the U.S. is to wait until one of her U.S. citizen children reaches the age of 21. When the child reaches 21, the child may file for the parent as an IR5 as well as his sibling as an F1 or F3.

You should contact an immigration attorney for more guidance.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bashir75: 4:17pm On Feb 14, 2017
Dear Visa Officer,

I'm grateful for how you shed lights on U.S visa immigration issues and your guidance on procedures. That's why American is the greatest country on earth. I'm a Nigerian based in Abu Dhabi (UAE) with my wife (US Citizen) and our two kids (US Citizens through birth ). She just filed for me a spouse visa, having applied twice for Visitor's visa and denied. We had our traditional marriage in Sagamu Nigeria, my hometown 4yrs ago. I have an error in my passport, precisely my date of birth and place of birth which I have corrected on my last visit, in 2016; however, I have used the old passport details to applied for the process of my children's US passport and twice I applied for non-immigration visa here in Abu Dhabi. Could that be an issue when I'm call for the interview for the spouse visa?

In anticipation of your quick response, I say Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:21pm On Feb 14, 2017
Temple1288:
Please, I have this question to ask...
I've known this man who's from America (Mississippi State) and his family for 2 years----through the internet and now they want me to come over to the USA.. I just graduated from Sec school..
He was talking about adoption, but I never considered that because my parents are still alive and I'm past 18... I was sent N100,000 for a Visa Application, but promised to send me a ticket money once I'm done and expect I come to America before June..
So please, don't be offended---- what are the necessary steps I need to take and what type of Visa do you advise me to apply?

I haven't been to the Embassy before nor applied for a visa, I only have an International Passport which I had last year.. So I beg you in the name of God advice me on what and how to go about this.. Thank you

By Nigerian law, you can no longer be adopted. It appears you also do not qualify for any other immigrant visa class. You may need to consider other (legal) options.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:22pm On Feb 14, 2017
dozydre:
Good evening Sir,
I've been a silent reader of this great thread for a while, And I commend your contributions so far in putting us through. I have a priority date of 22 Feb 2004 for my F4 visa category, the new bulletin released today shows 22 Feb 2004. I just want to know if my date falls into what will be treated in March as they said cases with priority dates that are earlier than the date listed. If it falls in, what time will it take NVC to send my package down if not here? And how long will it take to get an interview date.
Thank you.
God bless!

The law is pretty strict on this: priority dates need to be before the date that shows in the Visa bulletin. That's the bad news. The good news you'll just have to wait another couple weeks.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:24pm On Feb 14, 2017
menuwe:
Greetings to everyone on this forum.. my interview is coming up next month for a cr1 visa.. I have a question.. do I need to register for a courier service prior to my interview date to get my passport and visa back when issued?

If your visa is issued, we will place it in your passport and send it via DHL to one of three locations. These are Victoria Island, Isolo, and Port Harcourt. You will choose which place it goes upon registration.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:28pm On Feb 14, 2017
Bashir75:
Dear Visa Officer,

I'm grateful for how you shed lights on U.S visa immigration issues and your guidance on procedures. That's why American is the greatest country on earth. I'm a Nigerian based in Abu Dhabi (UAE) with my wife (US Citizen) and our two kids (US Citizens through birth ). She just filed for me a spouse visa, having applied twice for Visitor's visa and denied. We had our traditional marriage in Sagamu Nigeria, my hometown 4yrs ago. I have an error in my passport, precisely my date of birth and place of birth which I have corrected on my last visit, in 2016; however, I have used the old passport details to applied for the process of my children's US passport and twice I applied for non-immigration visa here in Abu Dhabi. Could that be an issue when I'm call for the interview for the spouse visa?

In anticipation of your quick response, I say Thank you.

Why in the world would you use your incorrect passport for your children's U.S. passports and two non-immigrant visa applications when you knew the data to be wrong? Of course this is an issue. You should have a clear, reasonable, and compelling reason for the discrepancy. The consular officer will make a determination at your interview which may include a lifetime ban from entering the United States.

Regards,
VO

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by hajj123(m): 8:59pm On Feb 14, 2017
Hi V.O happy valentine day to you.pls I want you to help again as I am getting closer to my Cr1/I-130 spouse visa,I have 6yrs old child from my ex girlfriend,pls I want to know if I will have to present my child birth certificate during my interview?If yes,pls can I present the one that I got for him from the local government where he was born or do I need get another birth certificate from NPC?though he is not going with me to US,but I filled it in my ds260 where they asked if I have children.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:07pm On Feb 14, 2017
VisaOfficer:

Depending on the exact circumstances, your sister may qualify for either an IB1 or IW1 visa class. Her child would go as an IB3 or IW2. These relate to U.S. citizen spouses who have died. There are some pretty strict criteria, however.

If she does not qualify for an IB1 or IW1, the only thing she can do if there is no other family in the U.S. is to wait until one of her U.S. citizen children reaches the age of 21. When the child reaches 21, the child may file for the parent as an IR5 as well as his sibling as an F1 or F3.

You should contact an immigration attorney for more guidance.

Regards,
VO
thank you so much.
pls how can she get a US immigration attorney from here?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bashir75: 6:17am On Feb 15, 2017
VisaOfficer:

Why in the world would you use your incorrect passport for your children's U.S. passports and two non-immigrant visa applications when you knew the data to be wrong? Of course this is an issue. You should have a clear, reasonable, and compelling reason for the discrepancy. The consular officer will make a determination at your interview which may include a lifetime ban from entering the United States.

Regards,
VO

Dear VO,

I felt so sad with myself reading your comment on my inquiry. I had to, because the Nigerian Immigration officer told me to continue to use it and that it would be corrected when expired and totally misled by the immigration officer. I'm here with my family and I have to provide my family information to process my kids US passport when it was requisite. Because I'm a student at Abu Dhabi University; hence I don't have all the time to go to Abuja when I visit Nigeria with my family in Lagos. He told me afterward it's difficult and Only immigration office in Abuja can make the correction then. I was naive and confused with confusing misinformation from the immigration officers in Lagos. My date of birth was mistakenly computed to be 14-08-1965, instead of 14-08-1975. And my place of birth was computed Ifo, instead of Sagamu.
Please, what can I do to correct this anomaly having found myself in this dilemma?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by menuwe: 3:07pm On Feb 15, 2017
VisaOfficer:

If your visa is issued, we will place it in your passport and send it via DHL to one of three locations. These are Victoria Island, Isolo, and Port Harcourt. You will choose which place it goes upon registration.

Regards,
VO

I still do not know where I am supposed to do this registration.Because all through the NVC process I didn't do any registration of such. Please put me through.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by hajj123(m): 6:17pm On Feb 15, 2017
Hi V.O how you doing today?.pls I want you to help again as I am getting closer to my Cr1/I-130 spouse visa,I have 6yrs old child from my ex girlfriend,pls I want to know if I will have to present my child birth certificate during my interview?If yes,pls can I present the one that I got for him from the local government where he was born or do I need get another birth certificate from NPC?though he is not going with me to US,but I filled it in my ds260 where they asked if I have children.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by agbeusifo: 6:05pm On Feb 16, 2017
Hello sir, nice work you doing on here... I use to live in India but now am in Nigeria and my India visa is expire, please how can i get a police report from India?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by julius99(m): 10:07am On Feb 17, 2017
Hello VO,

My Friend and his family have been issued usa visa twice. but the last drop box was not successful, after which they applied again for a non immigrant visa and was denied. Reason they wife gave birth in USA.

What do you advice that they do on this Case?

And are they eligible to apply for an Immigrant Visa?

Thanks,
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:49pm On Feb 17, 2017
julius99:
Hello VO,

My Friend and his family have been issued usa visa twice. but the last drop box was not successful, after which they applied again for a non immigrant visa and was denied. Reason they wife gave birth in USA.

What do you advice that they do on this Case?

And are they eligible to apply for an Immigrant Visa?

Thanks,

Yes, they are eligible to apply for an immigrant visa provided they have a petitioner / sponsor to file for them. Giving birth in the United States is not an ineligibility and is perfectly legal.

On the non-immigrant visa question, this is not the correct forum.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:50pm On Feb 17, 2017
agbeusifo:
Hello sir, nice work you doing on here... I use to live in India but now am in Nigeria and my India visa is expire, please how can i get a police report from India?

I have heard that you may be able to secure a police report with help from the Indian Consulate or Embassy.

Regards,
VO

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.