Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

Hold Yourself In_ Pastor Chris - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Hold Yourself In_ Pastor Chris (926 Views)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome's Private Jet: 9 Reasons It's Not A Gift - Aroms Aigbehi / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome To Give $100m To God (Video) / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Faces JAIL In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Hold Yourself In_ Pastor Chris by Joagbaje(m): 6:49am On Oct 17, 2015

2 Peter 1:5-6

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance…
().

“Temperance” is from the Greek word, “egkrateia,” which means self-control; the ability to hold oneself in; self-restraint. This is connected to every area of your life, as a child of God, and the beautiful thing is that you don’t have to pray to God to grant you the ability for self-control; it’s one of the fruits of the recreated human spirit.

Our opening scripture clearly lets you know that you’re not “deficient” of self-control, because it uses the verb, “add”; it says you should add temperance to knowledge. You couldn’t add it if you didn’t have it! It’s in your spirit! When a Christian says, “I don’t know why I can’t control myself,” he or she has refused to accept the truth of God’s Word. When you received Christ into your life, your spirit was enabled with self-control. Therefore, you must learn to take charge of your life from your spirit!

The Bible says, “He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls” (Proverbs 25:28).
Refuse to allow anything get you agitated, fretful or aggravated! Learn the value of patience. In a situation where those around expect you to get into a rage, hold yourself in! Exercise self-restraint. You can so rule over your spirit that when you’re provoked, you suddenly put up a smile and remain calm.

What if there’re addictions you want to get rid of?Temperance is in you to overcome addictions. The Bible says, “For sin shall not have dominion over you...” (Romans 6:14). Tell yourself, “I won’t do this thing, because sin can’t lord it over me.” Don’t talk to the addictions, talk to yourself; talk to your own spirit. That way, you’ll free yourself from anything that’s of the flesh, because you have control from within.

CONFESSION

I’m not subject to worldly desires, because I have power over sin! I’m temperate, dignified, sound in faith, with my spirit, soul, and body yielded to the Lord as instruments of righteousness for His glory. Halleluiah!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

An Online Prayer Community To Connect And Share Prayer Requests / Was That Samuel's Ghost? / Question For Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.