Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,925 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

What Nigerian Language Is This - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Nigerian Language Is This (3110 Views)

White Mass Choir Do Christmas Carol In Nigerian Language (video) / Faceboook Just Included First Nigerian Language Into Their Language Option (pic) / Ikwerre Language Is An Edo Dialect And Not Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Nigerian Language Is This by chrislong(m): 8:10am On Oct 18, 2015
Pls and pls I understand this might be one of the dumbest threads you will see but I need to verify some things said around me.

Please what language is 'AKARA' from originally.

Igbo or yoruba
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by Beesluv: 8:14am On Oct 18, 2015
ibo or what
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by tonychristopher: 8:15am On Oct 18, 2015
chrislong:
Pls and pls I understand this might be one of the dumbest threads you will see but I need to verify some things said around me.

Please what language is 'AKARA' from originally.

Igbo or

Akara is basically an Igbo word

2 Likes

Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by Nobody: 8:19am On Oct 18, 2015
tonychristopher:

Akara is basically an Igbo word
Ukwale! tongue
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by tonychristopher: 8:26am On Oct 18, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
Ukwale! tongue
Is that Latin ?

OK I have noticed you

Can you shift a bit let me see better things

Thanks
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 18, 2015
tonychristopher:

Is that Latin ?

OK I have noticed you

Can you shift a bit let me see better things

Thanks
I am the best thing you really want to see.. wink..chill out mehn, don't be like that...don't take it personal alright..my apologies tho
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by Wulfruna(f): 8:59am On Oct 18, 2015
Akara is a Yoruba word.
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by missbronzy(f): 9:16am On Oct 18, 2015
Google na ur padi. wink hope you'll find your answer in there
Akara (as it is known in southwest and southeast Nigeria) a recipe taken to Brazil by the slaves from the West African coast. It is called "akara" by the Yoruba people of south-western Nigeria, "kosai" by the Hausa people of Nigeria or "koose" in Ghana and is a popular breakfast dish, eaten with millet or corn pudding. In Nigeria, Akara is commonly eaten with bread, "Ogi" (or "Eko"wink, a type of Cornmeal made with fine corn flour.

"'Akara'" is originally a recipe by the Yoruba people of South western Nigeria which has overtime being adopted by the rest of the country.

1 Like

Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by chrislong(m): 12:05pm On Oct 18, 2015
Beesluv:
ibo or what

Or Yoruba
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by chrislong(m): 12:06pm On Oct 18, 2015
missbronzy:
Google na ur padi. wink hope you'll find your answer in there

I like you jare

1 Like

Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by chrislong(m): 12:08pm On Oct 18, 2015
Wulfruna:
Akara is a Yoruba word.

Thank you o. I no know why den dey argue o
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by Nobody: 9:15pm On Oct 19, 2015
Akara is an Igbo word for bean cake

Mama nkechi nye mu akamu na AKARA (igbo)
Mama nkechi give me pap and bean cake

4 Likes

Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by bigfrancis21: 4:49pm On Oct 21, 2015
Growing up I always thought that Akara is an Igbo word given its prevalent usage and consumption in Igboland.

People make reference to the use of the word in Brazil as being an import following the arrival of Yoruba slaves to the country however Igbo slaves were taken to Brazil, in addition to Yoruba slaves, but Yoruba slaves were albeit greater in number than Igbo in Brazil. The word may have been taken to Brazil by Igbo slaves.
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by Penssuwa(m): 5:48pm On Oct 21, 2015
akara, agidi and ashawo are all Yoruba words. our Igbo teacher taught us in primary school that they belong to group of words called "okwu mbite" ie, borrowed words.

3 Likes

Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by bokohalal(m): 7:54pm On Oct 21, 2015
Very easy to know that this is a Yoruba word. There is no trace of Igbo culture in Brazil. Almost all of the popular black Brazilian traditions are of Yoruba origin and the rest from the Congo and Angola area
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by macof(m): 11:00am On Oct 22, 2015
bigfrancis21:
Growing up I always thought that Akara is an Igbo word given its prevalent usage and consumption in Igboland.

People make reference to the use of the word in Brazil as being an import following the arrival of Yoruba slaves to the country however Igbo slaves were taken to Brazil, in addition to Yoruba slaves, but Yoruba slaves were albeit greater in number than Igbo in Brazil. The word may have been taken to Brazil by Igbo slaves.

Smh you've started with your shameless unnecessary lies again. . What is there about borrowing a word from others that makes you wanna deny it?

Read this guys
Penssuwa:
akara, agidi and ashawo are all Yoruba words. our Igbo teacher taught us in primary school that they belong to group of words called "okwu mbite" ie, borrowed words.
bokohalal:
Very easy to know that this is a Yoruba word. There is no trace of Igbo culture in Brazil. Almost all of the popular black Brazilian traditions are of Yoruba origin and the rest from the Congo and Angola area
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by absoluteSuccess: 3:39pm On Oct 22, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Anything can happen, Bigfrancis, na you biko O!

I never thought thats where the joker will berth.

I salute your linguisto-historical abracabraism o, oh my God, wow.

Guiness book of record is waiting for you.

The Millenium Igbo Miracle Guy.

1 Like

Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by bigfrancis21: 5:54pm On Oct 22, 2015
bokohalal:

Igbo culture did not survive in Brazil? Don't be ridiculous. Please do some research next time.

Igbo Culture vs. Brazilian Culture

by Emily Witt on 7 January 2015 48
Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Igbo Culture vs. Brazilian Culture
Igbo Culture vs. Brazilian Culture

Jamaria Payton, Heggar Ohiri, Camryn Cubbage, Emily Witt
GOAL!

Humanity is a collection of many distinct cultures but despite the unmistakeable differences, each is founded on indigenous traditions and customs.

Igbo Status
The country of Brazil has two distinct sections of medicine, one for the poor rural areas and one for the rich urban areas. The rich have access to the modern luxuries of new medicine, unlike the Igbo culture. As for the rural areas, most have no access to local pharmacies and must resort to self-medication or the use of herbs.

Igbo Food
In Brazil they have the concept of what they call
machismo, which is when the men have the strength. Their society looks down on the women labeling them as weak. The men show their virility through premarital and extramarital sexual escapades while women are expected to "save themselves".
Brazilian Status

Brazilian Food
Brazilian gender roles are very similar
to the Igbo's. Men are the dominant sex, although they are not solely responsible for providing for the family.
Women exercise more freedom in their social behavior and choosing professions.
Igbo Music
Igbo Language
Brazilian Language
Brazilian Music
Brazilian music began with African music and dance rhythms. Like Igbo music, drums are often used to create interesting rhythms or provide background music. Celebrations such as, carnivals and festivals are centered around music, as wells as religious rituals and services. Music is the heart and soul of Brazil and is an important part of the Brazilian lifestyle.
The Igbo language classified as a Niger-Congo language and belongs to the Kwa group of languages spoken in Sub-Saharan Africa. The language originated from southern Nigeria and is mostly spoken in this area. Various idiomatic expressions and proverbs can be found prominently within the language, and are used to understand the ways of life in the Igbo culture.
Igbo
Brazil
Igbo medicine is deeply rooted in the native religion, and is extremely important to the people. Each healer is highly respected because of their connection to religious beliefs.
The Igbo healers are herbalists, which mean they use fruits, flowers, roots, seeds, and leaves for remedies.
Igbo Medicine
Brazilian Medicine

Igbo gender roles are very important in everyday life,as most activities are formed around them. Men are expected to be dominant and must be capable of supporting his family and many wives.
Women submit to their husbands and must always work at home, taking care of the children and cooking food.

Brazilian Gender Roles
Igbo folklore is the foundation of traditional Igbo music. Music plays an important part in the lives of people and marks major stages of an individual's life. Music is played during rituals such as, funerals, births of new born, and weddings. Traditional Igbo music is generally upbeat and lively, which as result allows people to incorporate music into their daily lives.
Igbo music incorporates various instruments such as, drums, flutes, and xylophones.
Language is one of the most strongest elements of Brazil's national identity. Although Portuguese is spoken by almost 100% of the population, over 180 indigenous languages are still spoken today. Within Brazil, there are no dialects of Portuguese, but only moderate variation in accent, vocabulary, and grammar.
Like the Igbo language, languages spoken within Brazil are unique to their own culture and traditions. Brazilians take pride in their Portuguese and indigenous languages.
Similar to the Brazilian culture the men of the Igbo culture are the head of the household. The oldest sibling always receives respect from the younger siblings unlike the Brazil the Igbo culture has a chief who has a group of members who carry out their government as a democracy, a women of the Igbo culture has an opportunity to be a chief and is equally looked upon.

Igbo Gender Roles
Brazilian Festivals
Brazil is mainly known for its extravagant festival, carnival.
Carnival is held before Lent. The brazilian society fasts for forty days to resemble when Jesus was stranded in the desert. Carnival is when people throw Parades often dressed up in masquerades and costumes into their festivals. There is heavy African cultural influences which is seen in the music they play during their festivals, which gives it a reggae vibe.
In the Igbo culture people mostly have meals that consist of some type of soup. The soups typically have a variety of meat in them like beef, chicken, goat, or turkey. People who are vegetarians are very limited to the food that they can eat due to many of the meals having meat. Yams are also a popular food in the Igbo culture, it is often eaten during ceremonial occasions. Both the Igbo and Brazilian culture use lots of spices in many of their meals.

Igbo Festivals
Many of the food in Brazil consists of fish, meat, tropical fruits, rice, beans, and manioc. These ingredients can be found in many of the meals in the different regions in Brazil. People in the Igbo and Brazilian culture tend to not eat the same foods as those of different regions in the country. Even though most foods that are popular in one region are not popular in the other,a common meal is Feijoada which is a national dish in Brazil.

Very similar to Brazil, the Igbo culture also festivals containing costumes and masks. Both of these cultures masks are made of straw. Unlike Brazil the Igbo culture holds celebrations for festivities, burials, and other social gatherings. Masquerades are associated with spiritual elements usually representing a dead relative. The dancer, who wears the masks, is exclusively preformed by a man and kept a secret. The masks are usually determined by local traditions and beliefs.

Igbo Clothing
Men in the Igbo culture often wear cotton wraps, which almost look like robes, and a shirt and sandals for casual wear. For formal occasions they wear a long shirt, which are often decorated with tucks and embroidery, over a dressy wrap, shoes and a hat. The women wear wraps for both informal and formal occasions, their everyday wrapper is often made from inexpensive cotton. For formal wear the wrapper is either woven or batik dyed, they also wear a head tie that can be styled in different ways. The traditional dress for women is called a dashiki, a long loose-fitting top. The women add pieces of cloth to this dress to show their martial status and number of children.

Brazilian Clothing
As casual wear Brazilian men wear slacks, shirts and sandals, they choose lightweight material such as cotton since its so hot in Brazil. Women mostly wear jeans, which are tighter-fitting and taper out at the bottom. The jeans usually have sequins or other designs going down the leg. Since Brazilians are proud of their bodies they tend to wear tighter fitting clothes regardless of their shape.
Universal Truth
Udu drum

https://prezi.com/bfq9pehk2ewm/igbo-culture-vs-brazilian-culture/
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by Wulfruna(f): 6:19pm On Oct 22, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Igbo culture did not survive in Brazil? Don't be ridiculous. Please do some research next time.

https://prezi.com/bfq9pehk2ewm/igbo-culture-vs-brazilian-culture/

Big Francis, are you serious? This is the 'evidence' you want to make your case with? Are you serious?

A post comparing Igbo and Afro-Brazilian cultures is just that - a comparison, and nothing more. I was hoping to read things like statistics of how many Igbo slaves ended up in Brazil. I was also thinking there would be something about specific Igbo religious and cultural practices that can be found in Brazil - the way specific Yoruba and Angolan practices can be found there. But your link shows nothing of the sort, and instead makes only lame comparisons. By the way, I can make the same exact comparisons that the writers of that piece made using any ethnic group in West and Central Africa.

Please, take down that link. It's too disgraceful, even for you.

4 Likes

Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 22, 2015
Wulfruna:

Big Francis, are you serious? This is the 'evidence' you want to make your case with? Are you serious?

A post comparing Igbo and Afro-Brazilian cultures is just that - a comparison, and nothing more. I was hoping to read things like statistics of how many Igbo slaves ended up in Brazil. I was also thinking there would be something about specific Igbo religious and cultural practices that can be found in Brazil - the way specific Yoruba and Angolan practices can be found there. But your link shows nothing of the sort, and instead makes only lame comparisons. By the way, I can make the same exact comparisons that the writers of that piece made using any ethnic group in West and Central Africa.

4 Likes

Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by absoluteSuccess: 7:34pm On Oct 22, 2015
The word akara means 'count as you are buying' I have the notion that these food is modification of loaf of bread down the age and had served religious purpose in eredo epoch.

The Yoruba have an overt proverb on the religious significance of akara in the saying 'odun egun a tan, omo alagbaa a fowo r'akara lati fi j'eko.

that is, 'the masquerade feast will come to pass, and the sons of the organisers will pay to buy beancake to eat their pap'.

Yoruba way of saying loaf of bread is 'kengbe akara'. Even from that clitche, its clear that the ancestors hawk the stuff.

Kengbe akara is an advertorial phrase, meaning, 'call it out let me chorus it, count as you buy!'

Akara is served during masquerade feast, and also when observing third day of mourning the dead, known as 'ita'.

1 Like

Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by chrislong(m): 12:55pm On Oct 23, 2015
So Yoruba it is
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by bigfrancis21: 8:12pm On Nov 04, 2015
Wulfruna:

If you want statistics, I could provide it to you. Survival of Igbo customs and traditions do not have to be in form of religious and cultural practices. It could also survive in behavioural attitudes, similar ways of life or thinking, etc.
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by Wulfruna(f): 10:49am On Nov 05, 2015
bigfrancis21:

If you want statistics, I could provide it to you. Survival of Igbo customs and traditions do not have to be in form of religious and cultural practices. It could also survive in behavioural attitudes, similar ways of life or thinking, etc.

Whatever it is you think you've got, go ahead and post it. You don't need to seek my go-ahead to do so. Knock yourself out.
Re: What Nigerian Language Is This by waleola09: 12:58pm On Nov 05, 2015
For everyone claiming the word Akara is an Igbo word, wikipedia is your friend. Akara is originally a Yoruba word borrowed by the Igbos. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acaraj%C3%A9

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. / Let's Discuss Love Portion And Such / Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.