Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,376 members, 7,781,055 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:08 AM

Visit To Griffith Observatory - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Visit To Griffith Observatory (4001 Views)

Universe As Seen From Indian Space Observatory / Nasa's Solar Dynamics Observatory Sights Sunspot Turning Towards The Earth / Indian Astrosat Space Observatory Discovers New Feature Of Black Hole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Visit To Griffith Observatory by johnydon22(m): 6:01pm On Nov 10, 2015
Onegai:
I've met a few people interested in Astronomy here. in Nigeria.

Why not you guys start crowd funding for money to build yours? Start small, build a sundial and look for apparatus. Get a small building and write to universities and observatories to see if they have old equipment they can give you. Charge as little as possible so people can visit and I'll tell you other ways to get funds.

You can start the first observatory in Nigeria smiley

This is one of the most brilliant idea i have ever heard lately, makes real sense..

But seriously such observatories won't still be getting much visits though its not a Wizkid concert.

But it can be a very wonderful small good start to development of astronomical interest in Youths..

You are a Genius.!!!

1 Like

Re: Visit To Griffith Observatory by Krystalzkris(f): 6:21pm On Nov 10, 2015
Onegai:

Why not you guys start crowd funding for money to build yours? Start small, build a sundial and look for apparatus. Get a small building and write to universities and observatories to see if they have old equipment they can give you. Charge as little as possible so people can visit and I'll tell you other ways to get funds.

this is way too cool... Where is the observatory located??
Re: Visit To Griffith Observatory by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 10, 2015
Onegai:

i like this advice. and i just might implement it.
Re: Visit To Griffith Observatory by MathsChic(f): 8:53pm On Nov 10, 2015
Onegai:

I hated textbooks as a child. The ones here were boring. To understand Geology more, I went to the Grand Canyon. I even visited Hoover Dam in order to learn. It makes so much more sense to visit and see things. Some lecturers here in Nigeria try but we can do more.
The Grand Canyon is a piece of history. I'm pretty confident there are a number similar sites in Nigeria; there just isn't much knowledge about them. The country needs to work on making such sites topics of public discussion. Just like the canyon is.
Just keep visiting and collecting knowledge. It'll serve its purpose in eliciting curiosity in your kid. That'll go a long way

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Visit To Griffith Observatory by Feraz(m): 10:30am On Nov 11, 2015
Onegai:

This is an awesome idea!

MathsChic:

The Grand Canyon is a piece of history. I'm pretty confident there are a number similar sites in Nigeria; there just isn't much knowledge about them. The country needs to work on making such sites topics of public discussion. Just like the canyon is.
Just keep visiting and collecting knowledge. It'll serve its purpose in eliciting curiosity in your kid. That'll go a long way
The bolded, very apt! In addition to it, you hear questions like "Who this kain place don help"? I believe public discussion as proposed above will go a long way to help.
Re: Visit To Griffith Observatory by mrphysics(m): 8:22pm On Nov 15, 2015
well I dnt knw how much u guys think abt astronomy in Nigeria, bt I can assure u dat in UNN under d department of Physics and Astronomy, we hav similar things. though nt big ones bt d ones dat can help u view outside world, Prof. P.N Okeke is seriously working on establishing a RADIO Telescope. u guys shud stop underestimating Nigeria, I think UNN z d only university offering astronomy. I hav viewed d outside world, listened to d movement of sun live, so dis things r nt new to us in UNN.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Visit To Griffith Observatory by Feraz(m): 9:14pm On Nov 15, 2015
mrphysics:
well I dnt knw how much u guys think abt astronomy in Nigeria, bt I can assure u dat in UNN under d department of Physics and Astronomy, we hav similar things. though nt big ones bt d ones dat can help u view outside world, Prof. P.N Okeke is seriously working on establishing a RADIO Telescope. u guys shud stop underestimating Nigeria, I think UNN z d only university offering astronomy. I hav viewed d outside world, listened to d movement of sun live, so dis things r nt new to us in UNN.
Interesting to note that there's something like that in UNN.

Bolded, the guy still lectures there? I recall using his book in sec. school. How I hated his book. . . grin
Re: Visit To Griffith Observatory by mrphysics(m): 11:04pm On Nov 15, 2015
Feraz:

Bolded, the guy still lectures there? I recall using his book in sec. school. How I hated his book. . . grin
He z retired sir, he z on contract with UNN, so he z still in UNN. I just laugh when people, mostly dose dat r interested in science fiction, engineers and d rest come to nairaland, saying things they r nt sure of to which I dnt really have time to explain. In UNN students r really doing something, we hav young lecturers trained in JAPAN teaching Astronomy and also we have an astronomy group, dis guys r doing something great, only lacking sponsors from government and organizations bt maximizing d ones they hav. it pains me when I read some comments from Nigerians. UNN hav d ONLY COSMOLOGY PROFESSOR IN NIGERIA. so researches r on going.
Re: Visit To Griffith Observatory by Onegai(f): 5:09pm On Nov 16, 2015
Krystalzkris:
this is way too cool... Where is the observatory located??

It's in Southern California, L. A. to be precise.
Re: Visit To Griffith Observatory by Onegai(f): 5:14pm On Nov 16, 2015
Feraz:

I can't believe P. N. Okeke is an actual person, I thought he was a combo of different angry JAMB lecturers using a pseudonym. I think. everyone hated those. Physics textbooks. I'm glad he's still alive.

mrphysics, we do. have scattered areas of Astronomy in Nigeria but they are scattered. And your telescope is nice, but does. everyone have access to it? No. Which defeats the purpose. We are looking at a place where every Nigerian can access and explore Science for free or. for. cheap.

We should organise a National Science fair, let every university and technical college and secondary school showcase.

1 Like

Re: Visit To Griffith Observatory by mrphysics(m): 7:33pm On Nov 16, 2015
Onegai:

I can't believe P. N. Okeke is an actual person, I thought he was a combo of different angry JAMB lecturers using a pseudonym. I think. everyone hated those. Physics textbooks. I'm glad he's still alive.

mrphysics, we do. have scattered areas of Astronomy in Nigeria but they are scattered. And your telescope is nice, but does. everyone have access to it? No. Which defeats the purpose. We are looking at a place where every Nigerian can access and explore Science for free or. for. cheap.

We should organise a National Science fair, let every university and technical college and secondary school showcase.
madam it z accessible to all, its been used to teach third yr and fourth yr students. our lecturers hav a direct link with JAPAN SPACE RESEARCHERS. am nt telling u fictions rather reality. if u go to space centre UNN, it will shock u to note dat every part of Enugu state z been watched, u will b showed near earth objects. my mates deed nice works on atmospheric physics too, sourcing data's on solar activities. we take data's of solar flare, solar storm etc and analyze it. my dear, d truth z dat UNN z very strong in Astronomy. among d five areas of physics, Astronomy has d highest number, followed by SOLAR AND NUCLEAR PHYSICS. ask any physics and astronomy students in UNN nd u will get same answer
Re: Visit To Griffith Observatory by Feraz(m): 8:42pm On Dec 04, 2015
Onegai:

grin grin grin

We really need a National Science fair!
Re: Visit To Griffith Observatory by jeebz: 11:37pm On Dec 04, 2015
mrphysics:
madam it z accessible to all, its been used to teach third yr and fourth yr students. our lecturers hav a direct link with JAPAN SPACE RESEARCHERS. am nt telling u fictions rather reality. if u go to space centre UNN, it will shock u to note dat every part of Enugu state z been watched, u will b showed near earth objects. my mates deed nice works on atmospheric physics too, sourcing data's on solar activities. we take data's of solar flare, solar storm etc and analyze it. my dear, d truth z dat UNN z very strong in Astronomy. among d five areas of physics, Astronomy has d highest number, followed by SOLAR AND NUCLEAR PHYSICS. ask any physics and astronomy students in UNN nd u will get same answer
Very impressive.
Re: Visit To Griffith Observatory by EnterPRO: 8:23pm On Mar 12, 2016
quite refreshing ... what an eye opener !

(1) (2) (Reply)

3.5KVA 48volts Luminous Inverter For Sale. / PCB Recycling Business / Mate1 Registration, Login Free Online Dating Site,on Www.mate1.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.