Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,437 members, 7,781,280 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:42 AM

See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column (1622 Views)

A Real Estate Agent's Encounter With 419 Scammers / The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate / Surveyor's Column:beware Of Properties With Fake Governor's Consent In Lekki.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 9:40am On Oct 18, 2015
Every day, intending land buyers have the opportunity to learn new information about intricacies of land scam and escape being victims, yet many fail to take advantage of it. They are afraid, assuming they know it all, reluctant to seek for advice and request for land verification exercise. They fail to ask for professional advice and they end up making “the stupid mistake”.

The activities of land scammers have continued unabated and nothing has been done to checkmate them. As the day goes by, they continue to develop new skills and schemes to defraud unsuspecting land buyers. Their primary target is nothing, but your hard earned money. Taking advantage of your pure and deep ignorance on land matters. You must realize that, they are in a desperate pursuit of survival; they have no means other than to feed on your emotional attachment to properties and lands.

For years, I have been warning people never to buy property without a proper land verification exercise .For those that are obedient ,they have nothing to worry about, and for those that assumed they know it all , who eventually became victims of land scams are now living in horrible nightmares.

Recently I got a call from a client asking me how much is it to do a survey for 2 plots of land in Okun Ajah.As a professional ,feeling the need to probe further, I asked him to give an idea of what exactly he is about to do. He said, he is about to buy the land and the omonile suggested that they can allow him do the survey using their own omonile surveyor and thereafter, verify the land in Alausa.After that, when he is convinced that the land is genuine, then he can pay for the land. Then I explained to him, that when buying lands or properties here in Lagos, he needs to verify the ownership and also to verify the status of the land with government. The first one can be handled by a reputable property lawyer (omonilelawyer.com) and the second by an honest registered surveyor. And I emphasized that, given the prevalent land scams in Lagos, it is risky to let omoniles surveyors to prepare his survey documents (he was a little bit repulsive thinking I was canvassing for my interest) and that it is important to ensure he gets value for his money and that how would he know if the size of the land is actually 2 plots and to ensure that he is not been cheated, if his (client’s) surveyor is not allowed to measure and confirm the land.

After going back and forth, he told me I should assist him only to inspect the land to know whether it is inside government acquisition or it is free from government acquisition but he has no choice than to use the omonile surveyor since the seller insisted ,claiming that his own (buyer’s) surveyor doesn’t have the layout of the area.

On site inspection, the seller came with a survey plan and gazette, bragging that the land is (free) inside Okun Ajah village excision and that he can even show me the extent of Okun Ajah village excision on ground. And that he sold some of the lands in that area and the new buyers have long since processed their governor’s consent in Alausa.Personally, I don’t get carried away with those stories, I am, in fact, tired of hearing them.
Upon verification, guess what? The land is not only within a government acquired land, it falls within the stretch of land designated for proposed East –West coastal road. The coastal road, estimated to be over 704 kilometers and spanning along the Nigerian coast from Calabar down to Lagos. It passes through nine states— Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta, Edo, Ondo, Ogun and Lagos .It is expected that the road will pass through about 1000 communities. The East-West Coastal Road will link the Western flank of the Trans-African Highway Network from Lagos to the Eastern axis through Ikom in Cross River State to Mombassa in Kenya.

You can’t just imagine your property situated on a coastal road. It is just like a time bomb that is about to explode. When I sent the survey site inspection report to him, he can’t just but thank his lucky stars. Thanking me for saving him from losing his hard earned 8million naira to land scammers. Land speculators are on the look for unsuspecting land buyers. Omonile in this area know that there is a proposed coastal road and they are selling off the lands quickly and cheaply to unsuspecting land buyers. Beware of cheap lands at this time.

Never stop educating yourself about your local real estate ,visit Website: www.ordinanceproperties.com.

FRAUDULENT SURVEY PLAN SUPPLIED BY SELLER

Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 9:49am On Oct 18, 2015
Taking a closer look at the survey plan, I noticed the coordinates picked on the site is far way different (about 1.9 kilometers) from that written on the survey plan. The survey plan has been deceptively designed to mislead the buyer, such that you chart it in survey department using the fraudulent coordinates written on it, it will indicate that the land is okay. Meanwhile the land is actually seating right inside a coastal road! This is a warning for those intending buyers doing self service, relying on “FAKE COORDINATES” and “FREE FROM GOVERNMENT ACQUISITION” you see on survey plans provided by sellers. Fraudulent omoniles have used and are using still using these tricks, using fake and fraudulent survey plans to deceive unsuspecting land buyers. I have seen enormous fake survey plans used to illegally process governors consents and C of Os. And if you have bought a property and it was an omonile agent or quack surveyor that prepared the survey for you. Sorry, you better order for a land verification to confirm the actual status of that land, before you realize too late, that you have built on a committed land and you have to verify those papers ,before Lagos state government serves you a demolition letter.

Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 9:53am On Oct 18, 2015
MAP SHOWING LANDS TO BE SOLD WITHIN PROPOSED COASTAL ROAD

Years back I warned people not to buy lands or properties along Lagos-Badagry expressway, and I also emphasized the need to give a setback when building along an expressway for road expansion because of the proposed Blue Line Rail Project. The Blue Line is a 27 km rail road with thirteen stations from Okokomaiko to Marina. Many didn’t take the warning. Now we are reading about demolitions of their properties in that area. The pictures below are the ugly remains of demolished properties along Lagos-Badagry expressway for the purpose of LAGOS RAIL MASS TRANSIT. Just in case you are in doubt, take a visit to Lagos –Badagry expressway and see the massive demolition of properties along the right of way of the Blue Line Rail Project. It is a devasting nightmare for the owners.

REMAINS OF A 5 STOREY BUILDING ALONG LAGOS BADAGRY EXPRESSWAY (OKOKO-IYANA SASHI) WITHIN BLUE LINE RAIL PROJECT.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 9:55am On Oct 18, 2015
DEMOLITION OF A 2 STOREY BUILDING ALONG LAGOS-BADAGRY EXPRESSWAY

Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 10:02am On Oct 18, 2015
If you failed to conduct a land verification exercise before buying that land, you are on your own. I am not sure people will feel sorry for you, after reading this warning.
Many land buyers are working with a fairly strict budget and will want to save money. Any business person can be forgiven for trying to find a way to save money when buying lands or properties, the lure of saving money is hard to resist. But cutting corners can result in a shoddy deal , and that can backfire in a major way — ultimately doing more harm than good .And hiring an amateur to do a professional job can cost you much more than money…your real property.
Verify that land before buying it. Don’t be lured into buying committed government lands. Many have lost their entire life savings due lack of a proper land verification. Getting a land verification exercise at the time of purchase can save you from a lifetime tragedy. Be warned!!!
Don’t entrust the most valuable asset, you have on this earth, your real property to chance...Contact professionals
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Mr. Folarin N.O is a registered surveyor in private practice in Lagos. He dedicates his time to expose various land scams, while using his knowledge as seasoned surveyor to aid, assit,teach, and benefit others.He believes professionals exit to serve others and obligated to protect the public’s welfare.
Contact details: 08037046468, 08028541100, PIN 7A45A7E3
Email:ordinanceconcept@gmail.com. Twitters handle (@Laglandsurveyor)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 18, 2015
How much are the fees so buyers can include this in the purchase price budget?

2 Likes

Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 11:46am On Oct 18, 2015
Many land buyers are working with a fairly strict budget and will want to save money. Any business person can be forgiven for trying to find a way to save money when buying lands or properties, the lure of saving money is hard to resist. But cutting corners can result in a shoddy deal , and that can backfire in a major way — ultimately doing more harm than good .And hiring an amateur to do a professional job can cost you much more than money…your real property.
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 12:27pm On Oct 18, 2015
It varies depending on where the land is and other things like checking the record copy lodgement ,confirmation of the actual size (area) of the land before payment.
EgunMogaji:
How much are the fees so buyers can include this in the purchase price budget?
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 1:42pm On Oct 18, 2015
Every day, intending land buyers have the opportunity to learn new information about intricacies of land scam and escape being victims, yet many fail to take advantage of it.
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 18, 2015
backspace07:
It varies depending on where the land is and other things like checking the record copy lodgement ,confirmation of the actual size (area) of the land before payment.

Can you give us at least a range or a ratio or ballpark figure?

Are we talking hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands, gasp millions?

Thanks.
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 5:11am On Oct 19, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Can you give us at least a range or a ratio or ballpark figure?

Are we talking hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands, gasp millions?

Thanks.

Any where within Eti-Osa LGA due to proximity to my office.you will receive a report stating the status of the land(whether it is a good land or not) and recommendation.For further information,dont hesitate to reach me 08028541100,08037046468.
Email:ordinanceconcept@gmail.com
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 4:19pm On Oct 19, 2015
hey are afraid, assuming they know it all, reluctant to seek for advice and request for land verification exercise. They fail to ask for professional advice and they end up making “the silly mistake”.
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 9:22pm On Oct 19, 2015
The activities of land scammers have continued unabated and nothing has been done to checkmate them. As the day goes by, they continue to develop new skills and schemes to defraud unsuspecting land buyers.
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 8:47am On Oct 20, 2015
Their primary target is nothing, but your hard earned money. Taking advantage of your pure and deep ignorance on land matters.
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 11:00am On Oct 20, 2015
You must realize that, they are in a desperate pursuit of survival; they have no means other than to feed on your emotional attachment to properties and lands.
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 7:32pm On Oct 21, 2015
Taking advantage of your pure and deep ignorance on land matters.
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 7:22pm On Oct 27, 2015
Taking advantage of your pure and deep ignorance on land matters
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 9:10am On Oct 31, 2015
For years, I have been warning people never to buy property without a proper land verification exercise
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 4:57pm On Nov 03, 2015
For years, I have been warning people never to buy property without a proper land verification exercise
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 4:45pm On Nov 08, 2015
The first one can be handled by a reputable property lawyer (omonilelawyer.com) and the second by an honest registered surveyor.
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 10:48am On Nov 14, 2015
Taking a closer look at the survey plan, I noticed the coordinates picked on the site is far way different (about 1.9 kilometers) from that written on the survey plan.
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 6:36pm On Nov 22, 2015
The first one can be handled by a reputable property lawyer (omonilelawyer.com) and the second by an honest registered surveyor.
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 2:12pm On Nov 26, 2015
If you failed to conduct a land verification exercise before buying that land, you are on your own. I am not sure people will feel sorry for you, after reading this warning.
Re: See dangerous new tricks land scammers are using: Surveyor's Column by backspace07: 7:55pm On Jan 08, 2016
Are you the next scammer's victim?

(1) (Reply)

Property Maintenance And Facility Management / Become A Landlord In @ Agbowa Ikorodu Odo Onosa / Upstair 2 No 2bedroom Flat For Sales Kubwa Abuja (25m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.