Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,241 members, 7,807,819 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade (38352 Views)

Atlantic Slave Trade: Igbo Inhabitant In United States, Cuba, Jamaica & Barbados / Efik/ibibio Names And Their Meaning / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 2:45am On Feb 19, 2012
BlackPikiN:

^^^^Are you single? cheesy

why ? lol
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by BlackPikiN(m): 9:02pm On Feb 19, 2012
^^^
Just wanna know.
You have a nice pics. Chei! charming smile.
Are those stuff for sale?
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 4:30am On Feb 20, 2012
BlackPikiN:

^^^
Just wanna know.
You have a nice pics. Chei! charming smile.
Are those stuff for sale?

kinda lol & thx : )

It was for the food bank
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by BlackPikiN(m): 5:10am On Feb 20, 2012
^^^^Can we chat outside NL?
There are many witches here. lol
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 12:38am On Feb 21, 2012
BlackPikiN:

^^^^Can we chat outside NL?
There are many witches here. lol

Sure lol, like what?

Witches lol
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by BlackPikiN(m): 1:05am On Feb 21, 2012
^^^ You said you kinda single. Did I get you right?
We can talk about everything. Anything you wanna hear.
You live or school in TX?
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 10:52am On Apr 13, 2012
BlackPikiN: ^^^ You said you kinda single. Did I get you right?
We can talk about everything. Anything you wanna hear.
You live or school in TX?

lol idk about that

i live and go to school in tx
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Ptolomeus(m): 6:46pm On Apr 13, 2012
ezeagu: Source:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Sn5pK8rbR5MC&pg=PA144 — The transatlantic slave trade By James A. Rawley, Stephen D. Behrendt
Sorry if I return you to the main topic of the thread.
The information you submit is the British trade, not of the whole slave trade. Do not forget that the primary dealers were not the British, but the Portuguese and the Dutch.
Do not forget that the slave tráfrico to America (to all America, not just USA) was produced by "waves". That is, in the beginning, the vast majority belonged to ethnic groups that had undergone in tribal wars and sold to slavery, but over time, other people were subjected in tribal wars and in turn sold to the slavers. This fact rules out the possibility that trade traffic has remained constant with a tribe.
Another important fact, that we should not forget, is the function for those slaves that were required. For hard work in mines, plantations of cotton, coffee, cocoa, was essential to have strong physical slaves, while for rural or domestic tasks, child slaves were required complexion, and considered less rebellious.
For example, in South America, with exception of Brazil and Cuba, the vast majority of slaves was of origin Angola. Yoruba groups became part of the traffic quite some time before the same trade was abolished, and was declared in most countries the end of slavery. Still, Cities like Keto were literally washed away.
These and many other historical events, let me not agree with your statement about the hegemony of one ethnic group in the slave trade.
Anyway, your article is excellent, a wonderful contribution.
A very respectful greeting and thank you very much!
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by BlackPikiN(m): 1:11am On Apr 15, 2012
H-Star89:

lol idk about that

i live and go to school in tx

Can we chat off NL please?
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by amor4ce(m): 2:52am On Apr 15, 2012
Ptolomeus:
The information you submit is the British trade, not of the whole slave trade. Do not forget that the primary dealers were not the British, but the Portuguese and the Dutch.
Do not forget that the slave tráfrico to America (to all America, not just USA) was produced by "waves". That is, in the beginning, the vast majority belonged to ethnic groups that had undergone in tribal wars and sold to slavery, but over time, other people were subjected in tribal wars and in turn sold to the slavers. This fact rules out the possibility that trade traffic has remained constant with a tribe.
Another important fact, that we should not forget, is the function for those slaves that were required. For hard work in mines, plantations of cotton, coffee, cocoa, was essential to have strong physical slaves, while for rural or domestic tasks, child slaves were required complexion, and considered less rebellious.
For example, in South America, with exception of Brazil and Cuba, the vast majority of slaves was of origin Angola. Yoruba groups became part of the traffic quite some time before the same trade was abolished, and was declared in most countries the end of slavery. Still, Cities like Keto were literally washed away.
These and many other historical events, let me not agree with your statement about the hegemony of one ethnic group in the slave trade.
Your observation is intelligent, however the Igbo (not all) are known to boast a lot and thus in the argument for this thread they were blinded by their desire for attention. Note also that prior to their export of slaves they used to kidnap each other in order to satisfy their craving for human flesh which they saw as the choicest of meats. Even the notable ex-slave, Olaudah Equino, admitted that when he was kidnapped he feared he was going to be eaten. With such bountiful experience, kidnapping themselves for export as slaves was not difficult. Similarly, the reason for their high kidnapping rates today is not farfetched.

1 Like

Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by OneNaira6: 10:41am On Apr 15, 2012
Ptolomeus:

I'm not sure if you read any of his post but he actually mentioned all this in the previous posts
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by OneNaira6: 10:47am On Apr 15, 2012
amor4ce:
Your observation is intelligent, however the Igbo (not all) are known to boast a lot and thus in the argument for this thread they were blinded by their desire for attention. Note also that prior to their export of slaves they used to kidnap each other in order to satisfy their craving for human flesh which they saw as the choicest of meats. Even the notable ex-slave, Olaudah Equino, admitted that when he was kidnapped he feared he was going to be eaten. With such bountiful experience, kidnapping themselves for export as slaves was not difficult. Similarly, the reason for their high kidnapping rates today is not farfetched.

What a dumb@ss you are and proudly displaying it. Did you even bothered reading Oluadah Equiano book before using him for una bigotry. He mentioned cannibalism only once in that book, pick it up why don't you. He was terrified the Europeans were going to eat him due to the rumors he's heard of them taking men and women out of the community and none of those men and women are ever heard again by anyone. I don't know where the OP of that blog got the bitter-leaf and all that other bullsh1t from but it was not from oludah equiano biography.
Do yourself a favor and grow a brain.

1 Like

Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Ptolomeus(m): 7:30pm On Apr 18, 2012
amor4ce:
The process of slavery in Africa is complex. What you say is true. People were "hunted" devastated towns for prisoners, but this did not always Europeans, but by other African peoples. Anyway, let's not forget that the weapons usually from Europe ... and the Europeans used to their advantage the old tribal feuds.
It is difficult to cover here all the reasons that trigger slavery, as would also be essential to mention the active intervention of the Catholic Church in favor of slavery.
Please accept my best wishes!

1 Like

Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Ptolomeus(m): 7:35pm On Apr 18, 2012
One_Naira:

I'm not sure if you read any of his post but he actually mentioned all this in the previous posts
Dear friend One Onira.
I did not notice that in the previous post should be a relationship Africa-South America regarding the issue of slavery and extermination.
If so, my apologies.
I am a researcher, my main task and fairly addresses these two issues.
If you are interested, I could deepen with pleasure on the extermination of the different Indian ethnic groups in America, as well as what were the African ethnic groups arrived in America chronologically.
Please accept my compliments.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by amor4ce(m): 10:32pm On Apr 19, 2012
One_Naira:

What a dumb@ss you are and proudly displaying it. Did you even bothered reading Oluadah Equiano book before using him for una bigotry. He mentioned cannibalism only once in that book, pick it up why don't you. He was terrified the Europeans were going to eat him due to the rumors he's heard of them taking men and women out of the community and none of those men and women are ever heard again by anyone. I don't know where the OP of that blog got the bitter-leaf and all that other bullsh1t from but it was not from oludah equiano biography.

One_Naira, I suggest you take a look at this link to sample pages of a book written by G.T. Basden

http://books.google.com.ng/books?id=sHay1vHhfP4C&pg=PA121&lpg=PA121&dq=asije+oba+benin&source=bl&ots=VS1gGEZBC1&sig=BOLC1XXYxDVP_EBVIjAKsDGe-Nw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0COBT-DLFoWx8QPy8ej_BQ&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=asije%20oba%20benin&f=false

Kindly read pages 127-128 and let us know your thoughts on his description of the Igbo desire to consume human flesh.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by amor4ce(m): 10:33pm On Apr 19, 2012
One_Naira:

One_Naira, I suggest you take a look at this link to sample pages of a book "Among the Ibos of Nigeria" written by G.T. Basden

http://books.google.com.ng/books?id=sHay1vHhfP4C&pg=PA121&lpg=PA121&dq=asije+oba+benin&source=bl&ots=VS1gGEZBC1&sig=BOLC1XXYxDVP_EBVIjAKsDGe-Nw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0COBT-DLFoWx8QPy8ej_BQ&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=asije%20oba%20benin&f=false

Kindly read pages 127-128 and let us know your thoughts on his description of the Igbo desire to consume human flesh.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Nnenna1(f): 11:48pm On Apr 19, 2012
^^^Didn't read the piece, but wanted to ask - do you generalize real, historically documented facts on Yoruba Obas eating human hearts as Yoruba desire to eat human flesh?

It is so funny when tribalist, insulting, hypocritical bigots act all afrocentric.

1 Like

Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by odumchi: 11:57pm On Apr 19, 2012
amor4ce:

I have some questions...

Who were you referring to when you said "they"? You said, "the Igbo (not all)", so I'm guessing you're speaking about a particular sub-group. Throughout the rest of your paragraph, you continued to use "they" as if you were speaking about the entire Igbo nation (which I assume you aren't).

The reason I'm asking you to be very specific is because the entire Igbo nation did not indulge in cannibalism (if at all any sub-people did). In fact, I know of no Igbo sub-groups east of the River Niger that practice (or used to practice) cannibalism (although it's runoured that Ngwa people ate humans). To be honest, this is the first time that I am hearing this. Naturally, I'd like to tackle this statement but unfortunately, I cannot since I am not well-versed in the history of the Igbo west of the Niger. I'll let people like Andre Uweh or Abagworo deal with that.

"the reason for their high kidnapping rates today is not farfetched"

Was that really necessary? I don't know where you're getting 'high-rates of kidnapping' from nor do I know how you determined a relationship between the centuries-old slave raiding done by individual slave merchants and modern day kidnapping. I read the link that you posted and I saw the term 'ozo' there. Just for the note, there is no Igbo people that have 'ozo na nze' and practice slavery at the same time. Slavery was illegal in eighty percent of Igboland anyway. The slave trading that was done was not purported by entire sub-groups or communities rather by individual slave merchants. If you read Omenuko by Pita Nwana, you'll gain an understanding of 'Igbo slavery' was conducted.

1 Like

Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by amor4ce(m): 1:00am On Apr 20, 2012
Nnenna1: ^^^Didn't read the piece, but wanted to ask - do you generalize real, historically documented facts on Yoruba Obas eating human hearts as Yoruba desire to eat human flesh?

It is so funny when tribalist, insulting, hypocritical bigots act all afrocentric.
Try harder.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by amor4ce(m): 1:27am On Apr 20, 2012
Odumchi, I feel that there may be a kidnapping trend/pattern as the areas of Igboland today regarded as notorious for kidnapping for ransom might be the same areas in the past notorious for the kidnapping of people as trans-Atlantic slaves and for feasts. If so the implication is that your people should focus on re-orientating the psyches, including value for human life, of people from such areas so as to quench the obnoxious act.

And I do have friends who are Igbo but the feelings displayed on NL...
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by odumchi: 7:45am On Apr 20, 2012
amor4ce: Odumchi, I feel that there may be a kidnapping trend/pattern as the areas of Igboland today regarded as notorious for kidnapping for ransom might be the same areas in the past notorious for the kidnapping of people as trans-Atlantic slaves and for feasts. [s]If so the implication is that your people should focus on re-orientating the psyches, including value for human life, of people from such areas so as to quench the obnoxious act.[/s]

And I do have friends who are Igbo but the feelings displayed on NL...

Like I said earlier, save for a few groups in the extreme east of Igboland, slavery was illegal in all parts of the 'Igbo country'. Kidnapping was also illegal in all parts of Igboland, however this didn't stop individual slave merchants from going out and capturing slaves themselves. Since this was not a communal affair, you can't draw a relationship between it and the (as you put it) "areas of Igboland notorious for kidnapping".

It was in this same manner that both Jubo Jubogha of Opobo and Oluadah Equiano were captured and sold.

1 Like

Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by OneNaira6: 8:38am On Apr 20, 2012
amor4ce:

One_Naira, I suggest you take a look at this link to sample pages of a book written by G.T. Basden

Why give me a book that was 1.) not written by an Igbo. 2.) most of what's written on the book isn't and have never been verified by the Igbo community of which he spoke of. I actually bothered reading many parts of that book you just posted including the part you wanted me to read. Thus what it suppose to prove? That anyone can write a book whether accurate or not. Na new story? It is a proven fact that Everybody including YOU can write a book, whether accurate or not, get it published and post it online for free if its not selling.

Do us all a favor and Grow a brain.

And just for the fun of it. I'm going to piggyback ride with nnenna post and repost it

do you generalize real, historically documented facts on Yoruba Obas eating human hearts as Yoruba desire to eat human flesh?
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by amor4ce(m): 2:23am On Apr 25, 2012
One_Naira:

Do us all a favor and Grow a brain.

Why the focus on 'brain'?

Are you into head-hunting?
Is it that you see your fellow men as walking brain farms and prospective delicacies?
Are you tired of isi ewu?
Do you have a craving for isi 'Yoruba'?
Do you like eating human brains?
Are you from one of those extreme communities referred to earlier on this page?
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Crayola1: 4:47am On Apr 25, 2012
amor4ce: Why the focus on 'brain'?

Are you into head-hunting?
Is it that you see your fellow men as walking brain farms and prospective delicacies?
Are you tired of isi ewu?
Do you have a craving for isi 'Yoruba'?
Do you like eating human brains?
Are you from one of those extreme communities referred to earlier on this page?

Lol some folks and their need to feel important. One wonders why the advance ethnic group you hail from couldn't manage to push the British out?

I wish someone would eat you, it would be the first useful thing you have ever done in your life.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by amor4ce(m): 5:42am On Apr 25, 2012
No matter the friction I try not to wish evil for others. By the way, I have also criticized certain practices associated with my people some of whom have poured out vitriol in response, so know that yours doesn't bother me.

The first step to receive healing is humble admission of absence of well-being (Matthew 9:12), and we know that iniquity in the land is rampant not localized.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Crayola1: 4:03pm On Apr 25, 2012
amor4ce: No matter the friction I try not to wish evil for others. By the way, I have also criticized certain practices associated with my people some of whom have poured out vitriol in response, so know that yours doesn't bother me.

The first step to receive healing is humble admission of absence of well-being (Matthew 9:12), and we know that iniquity in the land is rampant not localized.

Great I believe there is a Yoruba thread Where you can criticize your own as much as you like. The irony of you needing to lean upon Christianity and on top of that exemplify the point of the verse is hilarious.

When will you humble yourself and admit you have a problem, this is not the first time you have gone out of your way to troll a thread about Southeastern people. Furthermore the fact that in your quest to prove how "savage" these people are you were too lazy to even read your first source carefully, you just saw cannibal and ran with it. Only when someone else did what you should of done in the first place and actually read the site before spamming the thread you would have know you were misappropriating the quote.

So I ask again when will you humble yourself and own up to the complex you have? I personally would trust the man from a place than a man who is related to the people who colonized my country, because you know he may be biased?

1 Like

Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by amor4ce(m): 4:32am On Apr 29, 2012
Potential world record for kidnapping the most number of brethren into slavery? Do you by any chance think that Joseph's brothers were cowards for feeling sorry about selling him into slavery? Should they rather have boasted?
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Crayola1: 7:02am On Apr 29, 2012
Technically the their were more slaves from the bight of Benin than Biafra did and the Bight of Benin is in the SW.

Pages 47-56 and 60 for your reading pleasure:
http://books.google.com/books?id=dXVFnHqhLvcC&pg=PA54&lpg=PA54&dq=bight+of+benin+produced+more+slaves&source=bl&ots=PKWTPmj__K&sig=GpTUgaqnjtzdEWeWrTo9jy3ZvS8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0tWcT_PxK9OTtwfI5eTOBw&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=bight%20of%20benin%20produced%20more%20slaves&f=false

Page 60 is quite interesting, the slaves were often identifiable because they were Muslim....hmmm grin

Even in the South East it was a clear distinction of two ideologies, those who believed in the selling of slaves like Arochukwu and Nri who was vehemently against the practice and even declared that those who were designated as slaves would no longer be referred as such once they were in Nri's borders. Did this occur in your part of Nigeria? smiley

No they were not cowards. A man is man when he owns up to his mistake in my opinion. It takes great humility to admit to wrongdoing, a challenge for many of us.

So when you stop acting like you are going through the first stages of menopause lets us know okay dear kiss

1 Like

Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Ptolomeus(m): 4:58pm On May 02, 2012
I, as a foreigner, very respectfully would like to give my opinion.
The thread calls us to think about slavery. It is logical that different perspectives arise, and that all are valid and respectable.
It is also logical controversies arising on the position of both tribe adopted in the process.
What amazes me greatly to, is that the discussion is polarized to this extent, that it seems that the only important process what they did slave Yoruba, Igbo, Fulani ...
None of us know that each tribe had a different role, but where are the Europeans in this?
Do not think anyone share cannibalism, but looking at what meant the holds of slave ships, the landing of slaves in America in which the sick were abandoned on the beach for the dogs eat ... inhumane treatment, violations, loss of identity ...
I would not want anyone to feel attacked by my comment, but yes, I understand that one of the most important goals that Europeans were supported by the church, colonization, has been to eliminate the African culture, emphasizing tribal rivalries, finish their languages ​​and traditions ...
This wire is an example.
I hope nobody feels offended because it is not my intention.

1 Like

Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by kwametut: 8:11am On Jun 26, 2013
@EzeUche
AM SOUTH AFRICAN OF GHANAIAN AND SOUTH AFRICAN DESCENT. Let me tell u I agree with the other blogger that you're TRIBALIST, that can be seen in all your posts. What funny for me is that you're a WOMAN

THE TRUETH MY SISTER IS AFRICAN AMERICANS ARE DIFFERENT TO OTHER NEW WORLD BLACKS ARE THEY DESCEND MAINLY FROM UPPER GUINEANS AND BANTU OF ANGOLA-CONGO. Yes Bight of Biafrans were imported to Virginia but they were mainly females and mated with other African groups like Akans,Mandes,Bantus to give birth to MODERN AFRO AMERICANS.

Here a GIFT from SOUTH AFRICA, this book is writen by a reknown African American prof. Holloway.
READ NIGERIAN AND CLEAR THE STREOTYPES.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

http://faculty.risd.edu/bcampbel/Templates/Templates/holloway.pdf
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by kwametut: 9:47am On Jun 26, 2013
@EzeUche
THE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIANS IS HEARSAY NOT REASERCHING. Your claim about D. Chambers 60% claim about AAs is a LIE.
NOT SO LONG AGO CHAMBERS ATTENDED DR MIDLO HALL, DR LINDA HEYWOOD, DR HOLLOWAY'S LECTURE ON THE ATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE, CHAMBERS PUBLICLY APOLOGISED FOR SAYING 60% AA'S HAD IGBO ROOTS AND ACKNOWLEDGED THE FACT THAT MANDE AND BANTU WERE MAJORITY IN US, SLAVE POPULATION.

Most AAs have BANTU AND MANDE links than Igbo links.
AAs with BANTU ROOTS
Condolezza Rice(Tikar,Cameroon), Ruth Simmons(Kota,Gabon),Samuel L Jackson(Benga,Gabon),Vanessa Williams(Tikar,Cameroon), Blair Underwood(Bamenda,Cameroon though Igbos clamed him before),Chris Tucker(Mbundu,Angola)

http://boricuagenes..com/2012/05/finding-your-roots-samuel-l-jackson.html
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by kwametut: 9:49am On Jun 26, 2013
@EzeUche
TRIBALIST SISTER
BLAIR UNDERWOOD'S BANTU ROOTS
SEEN HERE IN CAMEROON NOT NIGERIA
wink wink wink wink wink

http://bantudaily.com/archives/6011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

White Man Holds Umbrella For Oluwo Of Iwoland, Rasheed Akanbi In London / Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) / Death Of Prince Kelechi Ineke, Son Of Gabriel Ineke, The Echemugo 1 Of Abaomege

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.