Stats: 3,149,809 members, 7,806,272 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:48 PM

Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons (30030 Views)

9-Year-Old Emmanuelle Oziofu Develops A Food Website (Photo) / Tomisin Jasmin Ogunnubi Develops My Locator App To Help Lost Children / Tobi Ayanwoye Develops Alarm Footmat, Solar-Powered Mower & Grinder (2) (3) (4)

Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 19, 2015

Prior to recent developments, electricity has always been one of the major issues we face in Nigeria – an issue which affects all industries and hospitals are not exempted from this. I can’t imagine what will happen if there is a power outage while surgeons are in the middle of an operation…

I could go on and on about how unpalatable the issue is but that’s not what this post is about…. This post bears encouraging news about a female Nigerian student studying at the University of Derby in the United Kingdom who developed a device to help in the event of a power outage in an operating room.

21 year-old Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye developed a mobile medical battery called Neva which provides backup electricity to surgical theatres. The device is rather similar to the regular UPS (uninterruptible power supply) but is more dynamic in that it can be adapted to advanced situations. Neva contains replaceable lithium ion battery packs with enough power output to power critical machines during surgeries and reduce the risks associated with power outages.

Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye is a Mechanical Engineering student at Loughborough University where she is pursuing her Master’s degree. Neva was a product of her completion of the requirements for obtaining her first degree in Product Design Engineering at the University of Derby.

In a comment about her invention, Louise said Neva was “developed for countries that have difficulty accessing uninterrupted power supplies so they can perform these surgeries in-country rather than fly people out.”

We can only hope Neva will be produced en masse and will be made available to hospitals in developing countries to help save millions of lives.

http://techpoint.ng/2015/10/14/nigerian-female-student-develops-neva-help-surgeons/

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by CR77(f): 2:18pm On Oct 19, 2015
Nairaland is gradually turning me to a tribalist Oo.

I was only interested in her name

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by FRANCISEKE1(m): 2:19pm On Oct 19, 2015
Beauty and brain... smiley

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by iyobs7(f): 2:19pm On Oct 19, 2015
grin cool
Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 19, 2015
Great..

1. We have an option of generator set
2. We already an option of solar
3. We now have an option of "Neva", does she have the patent? ..i trust my brothers from East of Niger shocked
4. I wish this facility was available in Uyo, I am sure the Uncommon Transformation governor wouldn't have been flown abroad grin

- What shall i offer to the Lord......amazing song (Abu Oma Catholic)

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by DiegoNakel(m): 2:19pm On Oct 19, 2015
Nigerians are always very intelligent and creative !!!!

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by allanphash7(m): 2:19pm On Oct 19, 2015
Lovely
Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by seunakin231(m): 2:19pm On Oct 19, 2015
Nice one, creativity @ it's best

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by omusiliyu(m): 2:19pm On Oct 19, 2015
They're known for that....

Name Checkers International... NCI

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by vickoozy(m): 2:20pm On Oct 19, 2015
k

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by jeeqaa7(m): 2:20pm On Oct 19, 2015
Clap for yasef

I guess she's in london and her invention would probably serve dem there
I do not want back up power.. What I want is the light never to go off .

Just this morning: listening to the radio I hear that in this same country .. @ the AEDC.
A contract staff whose qualification is an OND result(in view) is paid 800k per month. His colleague witout a result is paid 600k. Per month

Their boss's funiture allowance 10m,accomodation allowance 27m and montly pay 5.4million naira per month while their colleagues with higher qualifications @ phcn earn 50k,70k and so on..

How would we have light in this country with heartless humans asuch
Correct me if I am wrong ,
We lost dagrin to this same menace she's tryna fix . Whereas a former governor who built a socalled world class hospital gets involved in a minor "hit car for bumber" accident and he is flown to the uk.
D driver and the orderly sitting in front didn't even go for checkup abi drink panadol .

Sometimes. I just wish that the clamour for independence by biafra is respected .. So that Arewa and oduduwa too can emerge.

Make every body answer him papa name

This is outrageous
Absolute Bullshit!!!

The rich also cry. Believe me .. These rich would cry real soon..

An adage says
If you pin someone to the ground not to get up.. You too would remain on that ground

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by Mogenerous(f): 2:20pm On Oct 19, 2015
Very nice

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by onajison(m): 2:20pm On Oct 19, 2015
Waitin concyn me?

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by Nobody: 2:20pm On Oct 19, 2015
Name Checkers Association.

Congrats

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by CR77(f): 2:20pm On Oct 19, 2015
cool ode who know self
onajison:
Waitin concyn me?

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by slim19(m): 2:20pm On Oct 19, 2015
GOD BLESS HER smiley

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by bastien: 2:21pm On Oct 19, 2015

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by ShakurM(m): 2:21pm On Oct 19, 2015
She's a Nigerian smiley

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by Chibaba247(m): 2:21pm On Oct 19, 2015
Pls come home

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by Nelsizzy(m): 2:21pm On Oct 19, 2015
The west making us proud since 1600BC

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by kennyman2000(m): 2:21pm On Oct 19, 2015
Nice one.. Kudos to her.

Hope the Nigerian government gets to see this and embrace her invention. Enough of risking people lives, using lantern,torch lights for surgery. Enough!

Check my signature for ur customised wristband

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by ibkgab001: 2:21pm On Oct 19, 2015
she looks mummy

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by jstbeinhonest(m): 2:22pm On Oct 19, 2015

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by Owliver(m): 2:22pm On Oct 19, 2015
Thanks God its not rape case. kudos to ewedu republic angry

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by Elaric(m): 2:22pm On Oct 19, 2015
Good work.

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by hensben(m): 2:22pm On Oct 19, 2015
Cool.

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 19, 2015
ok ooo... is that not the normal power backup that we all know? which one be Medical battery again?

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by thefakestan: 2:22pm On Oct 19, 2015
Neva and Nepa?

You try sha, carry UPS wear am white cloth.

Well done.

ThefakeStan

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 19, 2015
Achievers of Yoruba, Hausa, Ijaw, Nupe, Edo and descents other ethnic groups are all over the world but no one is making any noise about it.

Ascribe this lady's achievement to a group and hear how they are breathing a special type of oxygen which makes them superior and how their fart is better than folks of other ethnic groups.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons by sexyjob(m): 2:23pm On Oct 19, 2015
sexy #I_was_here

Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA / Photos: Tour Through The Decades To Explore How Technology Has Changed. / Nigerian Builds Dredging Machine Out Of Scrap Metals And Car Spare Parts