Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,187 members, 7,780,300 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:57 AM

Where Did All Our Good TV Series Go To? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Where Did All Our Good TV Series Go To? (2125 Views)

Who Can Download A Good Tv Series To Download And Watch Tonight / Interesting TV Series That Were Cancelled (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Did All Our Good TV Series Go To? by lolaxavier(m): 4:58pm On Oct 19, 2015
Who is to blame for the death of Nigerian TV series? Can our Nigerian shows ever get the kind of attention we give foreign series like ‘The Walking Dead,’ Game of Thrones,’ ‘Empire,’ 'Power' and the rest of them?

Why can’t Nigerian TV series get the kind of attention we give to foreign series like ‘The Walking Dead,’ Game of Thrones,’ ‘Empire,’ and the rest of them?
When would Nigerians sit to discuss ‘Taste of Love,’ ‘Before 30,’ or even the once upon a time everyone’s favorite show ‘Tinsel?’
I remember those good old days when people rushed home to watch their favorite Nigerian TV series.
Not only did we have addictive TV shows back in the days, we also had addicted fans. These days, we seem to have few interesting TV series, and fewer addicted fans.

From the likes of Checkmate,’ ‘Fuji House of Commotion,’ ‘Super Story,’ ‘Village Headmaster,’ ‘Domino,’ ‘Everyday People,’ ‘Beyond the Dream,’ ‘Family Circle,’ ‘Fortunes,’ ‘Mirror in the Sun, ‘Papa Ajasco,’ and many more, Nigerians were once receptive to Nigerian TV series.
Local TV shows were once big deals in Nigeria. How did Nollywood lose that huge fan base. AT what point did they get it wrong?
These days, Nigerians prefer American TV series. A very high percentage of Nigerians prefer Bollywood series and Mexican series, which have been made accessible, thanks to some DSTV channels.

Why would most Nigerians rather tune to Channel 118 for 45 minutes of ‘Forbidden Passion’, than tune to 153 for 30 minutes of ‘Tinsel?
There are without doubt quality TV series showing on Nigerian screens. From ‘Before 30,’ to ‘Do-Good,’ from ‘Hotel Majestic,’ to ‘The Johnsons, and ‘Taste of Love,’ which is why I think 'quality TV series' isn't entirely the reason behind the death of TV series in Nigeria.

The truth is, most Nigerians don’t believe in the Nigerian film industry, and would rather watch the most boring foreign show than the most ‘interesting’ Nigerian TV show.
After the era of hit series of the past, quality TV series became a thing of the past, and Nigerians got used to not having something of quality to look forward to.
We became people who would proudly say ‘I don’t watch anything Nollywood.’ Most of us gave up on the industry, and would never sit for a second to see what and how much the industry is doing to recover her lost fans of TV series.
What about stories average Nigerians can relate with? Back in the days, an average Nigerian could watch and relate with virtually all the seires.

These days, we seem to have more and more stories that are not in any way close to home. It's almost all about sappy relationship tales.
The inability of most filmmakers to tell African stories the way Nigerians can relate with, is definitely one of the reasons why Nigerians are not interested in TV series.

Don't we have historical stories that can be adapted to TV series? - some Nigerians are actually interested in more than sappy stories with happy endings.
Let's not forget the accent our actors appear on screen with, which can be a total turn off (that's totally a topic for another day).
Back in the days, TV stations like NTA used to fund and assist independent producers. But these days, we have very few networks like Africa Magic and EbonyLife TV supporting and funding TV series.
There are also without doubt filmmakers passionate about bringing back the days of passionate series. But then it can't be easy doing that in a country where we have few investors interested in the movie industry.

"We have people that you meet on a daily basis, and you tell them you have a movie coming up for a premiere, and they tell you “I don’t watch African movies," Juliet Ibrahim said in a recent interview.
I look forward to days when TV series would resurrect. Days when I would get to work, and hear people talk about how interesting the last episode of a series on Sango was , rather than how walkers made their return in ‘The Walking Dead,’ and Jon Snow died in 'Game of Thrones.'
Who or what do you blame for the death of TV series in Nigeria? Poor stories, non talented actors, lack of investors or what?

http://pulse.ng/movies/pulse-opinion-where-did-all-our-good-tv-series-go-to-id4263932.html
Re: Where Did All Our Good TV Series Go To? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 19, 2015
Hilarious titles!
Re: Where Did All Our Good TV Series Go To? by lolaxavier(m): 6:30pm On Oct 19, 2015
Front page
Re: Where Did All Our Good TV Series Go To? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 19, 2015
Horrific title,novice actors and actresses,terrible scripts and poor picture quality. I only watch movies that Kunle afolayan directs.anything apart from that is considered crap to me
Re: Where Did All Our Good TV Series Go To? by lolaxavier(m): 10:22pm On Oct 19, 2015
I totally agree with the write up. The likes of hotel majestic, before 30 and so on do not reflect what Nigerians can actually relate with.
The acts are just too fake to relate with for an average Nigerian.
Re: Where Did All Our Good TV Series Go To? by lolaxavier(m): 1:18pm On Oct 20, 2015
Re: Where Did All Our Good TV Series Go To? by whizqueen(f): 4:07am On Oct 22, 2015
Empire cheesy
Re: Where Did All Our Good TV Series Go To? by nigeriancuban: 7:41am On Oct 22, 2015
naija movies are the most ridiculous films,I now even watch Zimbabwe movies now and I enjoy even the boring Ghana films these days too...the Nigerian film title alone makes me wanna slap any film producer, imagine a title "he shall die" or "blackberry girls"..... yuck!
Re: Where Did All Our Good TV Series Go To? by nawtibownie: 10:00pm On Oct 22, 2015
Empire, Power, strike back, scandals and Co. have taken over. Who has time for dumb Nigerian series or is it called soap opera these days? They need to upgrade. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Biggest Movies Of 2016 / (MOVIE) Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (2022) [hdrip] / Want To Chat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.